Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: Check all that you think a good demo would do.
Place my order within 3 days. 281 78.06%
Place my order within 10 days. 45 12.50%
Deliver my order. 165 45.83%
Make sure I get minis right away. 245 68.06%
Cut/mount my stamps. 16 4.44%
Offer classes/camps. 272 75.56%
Hook up people to split sets. 20 5.56%
Give freebies for bringing new customers. 114 31.67%
Tell me if I can get things cheaper elsewhere. 135 37.50%
Give a catty if you promise to order $150 for the year. 141 39.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2006, 01:01 PM   #81  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm... I guess i never realized that they needed the money upfront when they order. I would certainly understand the need to wait for a check to clear before they did an order. I usually always pay in cash. (no way for hubby to track my spending ;-) but I have been lucky that I have never been in a huge rush to get what I ordered in, well other than my own impatience to want my goodies as soon as possible!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 02:49 PM   #82  
Gallery Gazer

I'm all into getting my order as fast as I can!!! My demo ROCKS!!! I placed an order with her last Thursday nite and it will be in here in Texas on Wednesday! Can't get better than that!!!
SCS Member #772
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2006, 10:45 AM   #83  
Pearl-ExPert

I answered the "within 3 days" but actually probably mean "after the 3 day period, but before 10 days" in actuality.

I would want the demo to wait the 3-4 grace period for checks to clear,e tc. but not wait 10 days to add to another order and then wait another 2 weeks for my order to come in.

I had great service from my SU demo, when I was a demo I always turned stuff around without much of a wait, and my current SU demo is top notch and also does that. On the other hand I had a CTMH and a TAC demo that waited to add stuff to their workshops that they had coming up and would add it without asking me about it, and then I would have to wait. On one order it was 3+ weeks from one demo, and most recently I had a situation that it was over a month to get my order as she was away for two weeks, not checking email on her business, then waited a week to place my order, then I got my order and she hadn't included the special "gift with purchase" cause by then it was too late -- not MY fault as I had placed the order in time, but it was too late by the time SHE placed the order.

Hence I think a great SU demo should place the order TIMELY, i.e. wait for checks/credit situations to clear and then the product to the customer in the best possible way, customer service prevailing ---

Otherwise people will resort to shopping online or to the LSS to get similar product that they can get in a week or less.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2006, 01:47 PM   #84  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by midnightdiamond
There is so much to say for charm, personality, and being straighforward. That is proabably more important than anything on the list.
I do not mean to say the orders can be forgotten or there can be many mistakes. I am just saying if you love it, it will show. And, most often that is what people are looking for. I know I am. I want someone to love it, be excited, and show me what they know.....
I think the absolute honest, confident, genuine people, do the best. Anyone gritting their teeth through their workshops or classes, will be slowly recognized as someone that does not love it...not enough anyway...
And Jeanne, you have just said what I came to say. You can offer incredible incentives if you like, but you will need to offer far fewer "carrots" to entice your customers if you are naturally the kind of person Jeanne describes. Free stamps are great, but over the long term, wouldn't most customers rather shop with someone who they like and trust?

The dreamers of the day are dangerous people,For they dream their dreams with open eyes,And make them come true.- D.H. Lawrence

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2006, 10:37 PM   #85  
Glitter Guru

I would love to be able to front the cash for all of the merchandise that my customers order. Unfortunately, not all demos are in such a position. I have a very small, but highly valued pool of customers, and I have -for a certain few- gone ahead and placed orders before I have the money. But, I will only do that for the few people I *know* and trust. Unfortunately, there are those people who would/will take advantage of demos; shop demos, try to compare the abilities of one demo to another, and leave a demo hanging. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2006, 12:07 AM   #86  
Matboard Maniac

I am very thankful for this thread. I am a brand-new SU demo. In fact, while I have my demo number and password, I don't have my kit yet (I am at the PO EVERY day. sometimes twice a day *blush*). Oh the joys of living on a military base overseas...slow mail is only part of the fun and excitement! ;)

Anywho, this thread has given me a lot to think about. I hadn't even thought of some of these issues from anything other than a customer's point of view.

It helped me think about what my customers may value the most from me and what I, as a demo, am willing to do. So...Thanks!

I started an itsy-bitsy gallery...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2006, 12:26 AM   #87  
Gallery Gazer

Location: The weeds are popping up, and I'm having asthma issues

Funny thing - I would never, ever expect my demo to cut out my stamps for me. I actually don't mind sitting down with a movie and cutting for an hour. Anywho, my demo surprised me by cutting and mounting my Spunky alphabet for me!! I was floored. She's really the best as she didn't need to do that at all!
Leah SCS Member #38898
His Holy Name Challenge http://triplethescraps.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2006, 04:30 AM   #88  
Watercolor Wizard

I just have to comment on the whole "mounting stamps" issue... many demos offer it as a service to their customers who physically cannot do it themselves, or if they know a new customer is intimidated... I know 99% of my customers do it themselves, but I would be more than happy to do it for them if they needed the help.... It would be impossible to mount each and every customers' sets for them.... unless you had a very small customer base...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2006, 06:49 AM   #89  
Kookie Creator

I believe that it is important to keep in mind that demonstarators are individual business owners. Their rules will vary from demo to demo.

As a former demo myself, I know first-hand that SU only accepts orders from their demos via credit or debit card. This is something that customers do not usually know. So my guess is that those demos who are choosing to "pay upfront", for their customers are not wealthy, rather they are using their credit. And the issues of bouncing checks and bank fees are problems that every business owner faces, regardless of their business.

But once again, I strongly believe that it is important to remember that demos are independent business owners, not just friends.

As a customer, I have switched demos myself because of individual business practices. And now I'm a happy stamper!

Check Out my Blog!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2006, 07:05 AM   #90  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by fool4scrapping
I just have to comment on the whole "mounting stamps" issue... many demos offer it as a service to their customers who physically cannot do it themselves, or if they know a new customer is intimidated... I know 99% of my customers do it themselves, but I would be more than happy to do it for them if they needed the help.... It would be impossible to mount each and every customers' sets for them.... unless you had a very small customer base...
I agree with Tina. I think it is a great bonus that some demo's mount stamps for those that are *unable* to. Now those that just plain don't *want* to do it...I'd tell them that maybe they should find a different company to buy from, as that is part of the selling point of SU...b/c the stamps are unmounted, they are cheaper and you are able to mount the stamps the way *you* want to, not the way your demo wants to!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2006, 07:14 AM   #91  
Die Cut Diva

Hmmm, the part I don't understand is "Tell me if I can get things cheaper elsewhere". If you go to Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Joann's, or any other craft store, do they tell you if you can get something cheaper anywhere else? Why should anyone do that???

***scratching my head***
"Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer." Psalms 19:14
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2006, 01:55 PM   #92  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharlene Wale
Hmmm, the part I don't understand is "Tell me if I can get things cheaper elsewhere". If you go to Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Joann's, or any other craft store, do they tell you if you can get something cheaper anywhere else? Why should anyone do that???
Some customers see it as a sign of respect, others just appreciate their demo being candid about products that are not exclusive to SU. The owner of my fave LSS (and her attitude is a large part of why it is my fave) is quite open with customers, and I have heard her say more than once that she carries things like monocolour eyelets and brads only because they are staples to scrapbooking, and has also said she fully expects most of her customers to get things like that from Michaels or Dollarama. In fact she was the one who sold me on Dollarama as a great place to get crafting supplies. I go to her store for things I can't get anywhere else, like quality CS, the latest patterned CS and papers, and Maya Road products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2006, 02:00 PM   #93  
Chattin' & Sippin' in SPAM-Land

It was always my habit as a CTMH demo to tell my (few) customers that they should get Mono adhesive and other "general craft items" (like bone folder, sponges, fiskars papercutter, etc) that are carried at Michaels and JoAnn's there using those 40% coupons! There is PLENTY of stuff that CTMH/SU/TAC sells that ISN'T carried there and I figure if they save $10 by getting their papercutter at Michael's. that's $10 they have left to spend on stamps, paper and ink that they CAN'T get there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2006, 07:36 PM   #94  
Kookie Creator

From a customer end, I actually held a SU party, and when I got everyone's orders, there were two gals whom I cut stamps for. One was older and would have had a tough time cutting and another was a dear friend who normally uses acrylic but bought the stamp set as a favor to help with my numbers. I did this without their asking and was glad I did. One of the other gals that attended had bought a SU set previously and just thought that all she had to do was stick the stamps on the block without cutting. I had to show her how she could take them off and cut them and put them back on. I really think that people appreciate that extra effort, whether it be cutting the stamps or giving that something extra. As long as you let them know that it is something extra or special this time around and keep their expectations so that they are aware that it is special, that demo will get their business time and time again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2006, 07:56 PM   #95  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharlene Wale

***scratching my head***
I agree. It is also against SU policy to do this. You are representing your company not trying to drum up business for someone else. When I go to McDonalds they don't tell me that it is cheaper to get my fries at Burger King. I have never had a complaint and offer excellent customer service. My customers have known that this is my business. They are welcome to check out the hobby stores but they will not hear it coming from my lips. I think being loyal to your company is also good customer service.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2006, 08:23 PM   #96  
Mad Swapper

In Idaho my demo was quick. I think she ordered before my check cleared and we don't know each other that well. Maybe that's just her system. Judging from her house, she probably can afford to do that.

I'm in Missouri now and my first demo took a looooooooooooooong time. I'd get my stuff weeks after I order. I couldn't remember what I ordered to be honest.

So I moved on. Found two ladies who have been wonderful. They order before getting my checks. I'll email my list and they'll reply back saying something like "it's ordered, you'll get it in the mail by so and so day" and I'll send them a check by mail (I offered PayPal too but they said mail was ok). They may be doing this because my co-worker might have said something about me being trust worthy with money. Dunno, but these ladies would order for me very quickly. After a few orders I was finally able to meet them.

I don't think I'd make any money as a demo. I'd want to do too many giveaways for my ladies

If I were demoing I'd use PayPal. Does SU take credit/debit cards?

Happily designing for WPlus9 and CSS stamps, Waltzingmouse sketch, Scarlet Lime kit club, and the Digichick Card Caravan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2006, 08:31 PM   #97  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 116 Likes on 97 Posts

I'm just a hobby demo and ONLY stamp with 3 friends, and order for them. We make sure we order together to maximize benefits to share. Yes, SU! does take my money as soon as I order (credit card), and I often don't have their checks yet, but since they are friends, it's not a problem with me. I always tell them, "I know where you live!" (and then laugh evilly)

My former demo (now upline), however, had no credit cards, and had to wait for our checks to clear before she could put in the order, as SU! would debit her account immediately. So it was usually a week from when we ordered til when she put it in. C'est la vie!

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2006, 08:34 PM   #98  

Quote:

Originally Posted by putri
If I were demoing I'd use PayPal. Does SU take credit/debit cards?
I guess I didn't directly answer this.

The demo sets up her account with SU! to either debit an account, or charge a credit card. When she places the order, that's what happens.

The individual demos may or may not take credit cards. I don't, but as I said, it's just me and 3 friends. I think if I had a very active business, taking credit cards seems to increase sales. The demo has to set it up herself, and pay any fees involved. There are several ways to do this. That's one of the boring subjects that comes up occasionally on the demo side. LOL

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2006, 08:38 PM   #99  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michelle Z.
As a former demo myself, I know first-hand that SU only accepts orders from their demos via credit or debit card.
Actually, SU! now does electronic withdrawals from your bank account if that is what you choose. So when people say they don't have the money in their account and have to wait for the checks to clear, they mean exactly that. Some people don't like to use ANY credit cards and I can respect that position.

I usually order before the three days are up...I have almost never waited the three days, but that is just the way I do it. I pay for workshops on my credit card, so if the money isn't in the account when I place the order, it will be by the time I pay my CC bill. There are a lot of advantages to doing it this way including the cash back I get from my CC company.

For some of my steady customers, I have held checks or ordered before payment is received and I've never had a problem. By the time the workshop appears on my CC bill I almost always have received all payments.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2006, 08:40 PM   #100  

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInk
There are a lot of advantages to doing it this way including the cash back I get from my CC company.
Oh YEAH baby!!!!!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2006, 08:40 PM   #101  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by putri
Does SU take credit/debit cards?
In order to accept debit/credit card payments (without going through Paypal and paying their transaction fees each time, then waiting a couple of days to transfer the funds to a bank account if you don't have their debit card), demos must contract individually with a credit card processing company, paying any subscription costs or transaction processing fees themselves. Stampin' Up! receives order payments only from the demonstrator, and does not accept them directly from customers.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes