Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-06-2014, 01:34 PM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Question about best EP storage

I posted a little while back about my discovery that some of my EP had gotten clumpy. Many suggested getting small desiccant gel packs, which I did. I didn't know whether they would revive the stuff that had already developed clumps - which I am certain is due to the high humidity here where I live. I put the packs in the containers where I kept my loose powder with a spoon - the EPs I use most, which are black, white, clear and gold. The jars I put in covered plastic containers with desiccant packs in the containers. I hoped that the packs would dry out the EP.

This morning I spent an hour testing all my EP and I ended up having to throw out about half of what I had. It had gone dead - heating it did not bring it to life, it just stayed flat and matt on the card stock. And the packs didn't remove the clumps in any of my already over-humidified EP. Sad.

Now I have to decide what the best way to store my newer, still good EP would be, so that it doesn't go the way of my clumpy stuff. Do you think it's better to leave it in jars, in covered containers with a desiccant pack, or put it in a covered plastic container and throw the desiccant pack in there with the loose powder?

The EP that went bad was in some cases a couple of years old, but people have told me that EP can last much longer than that. I really don't know how long EP is supposed to last.

Any suggestions or advice would be welcome.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 06-06-2014 at 01:39 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2014, 03:58 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The darned humidity ruins EP! I store mine in their individual jars inside a tightly sealed zip-lock bag. I have some that is several years or more old and it's still good. I hope you can find a solution!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2014, 11:08 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Thanks Loretia. It's good to know at least it's the humidity like I thought, and I'm not the only one who has this problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2014, 06:47 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I have EP that is 5-7 years old. Most of it is still good but I do have clumpy ones. I noticed certain brands are prone to it more than others. I am not in a humid climate at all. With heat on all winter it's super dry in the house.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2014, 07:59 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm in a humid climate and TBH I store mine in original containers and then in a plastic container to keep them all together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2014, 03:59 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

That's how I was storing mine, in jars in a plastic container. But it wasn't enough in some cases.

Nancy, what brands have you had problems with? Do you recall? I will avoid them. It's always extremely humid down here.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 06-08-2014 at 04:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2014, 09:33 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the idea of in the original container, inside a ziploc bag with a desiccant pack in it sounds a good one. Another thought, maybe the containers in a cardboard box, with desiccant packs? The card should also help to absorb moisture in the air? Or in sealable tupperware type containers, with desiccant packs?
We don't have high humidity here in the UK- and I have EP's that are 10 years old, and more, and they are still fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2014, 10:09 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

You cannot imagine how annoying was to have to pitch half my stash.

Plastic containers (like Tupperware, but from the supermarket) with desiccant packs is what I am doing at this point. I could do separate plastic bags for each jar, but I think the seal is better on these containers.

It was so nice having them loose in sealed containers with a plastic spoon, so easy to use. But it just was not enough protection. Not with the humidity here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2014, 12:35 PM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I learned years ago about EP going bad and it seemed to be random companies. Before I use any EP I shake it up and clumps don't seem to make a difference if the EP will/will not emboss.

I keep my EP in their original containers except clear that I have in an old Tupperware container. I don't buy as much EP as I used have I had to toss a lot of my stash.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2014, 01:09 PM   #10  
Glitter Guru

What are people's favorite EP brands? I have been buying Stampendous, because I like their detail EP, but some of those did go bad. Maybe I should try other brands.

I have had some SU. I have always disliked that they came in such small jars, but maybe that's a good thing. Two small jars instead of one bigger one, half is protected from humidity until you open it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2014, 03:56 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Most of mine is Stampendous, as you say it must not like humidity. Also had another thought- it was what you said about sealed jars. What about stretching a piece of cling film across the top of the jar before putting the lid back on?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2014, 04:06 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

That would probably help. But I hope I don't have to add that kind of extra step in. I am hoping keeping the jars in a sealed container with a desiccant will do it. Maybe others who live in humid climates will chime in and I can see how elaborate I will have to get!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2014, 04:34 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Most of my EP is Stampin' Up.
I've had some of it over a decade -- never had any go bad or clump.
I store it in the original containers. My craft room is in a finished basement, in Illinois (perhaps not as humid as some southern states).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2014, 05:13 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Rachelrose, this could get into a Mission Impossible -type thing to get into a jar of embossing powder!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2014, 05:28 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Ha! So true!

Humidity - great for some things (skin), so not great for others - like EP and hair! (Unless frizzy is your thing.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2014, 08:46 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

my other suggestion would be sealable sandwich bags where you can compress the air out of them before putting them back in storage. I do this with food. My biggest concern with this suggestion is static inside the bag.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2014, 01:46 PM   #17  
Embossing Fanatic

Wondering...has anyone tried putting a pinch of talcum powder, baby powder or cornstarch into their EP? I know that sprinkling it on wet sandy kids legs gets the sand right off!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2014, 03:05 PM   #18  
Glitter Guru

Have you tried it, Maus? It seems like it would completely contaminate the EP.

I'm sticking to my jars in tupperware with a desiccant. If that's not enough, then I will give up using EP.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2014, 05:53 PM   #19  
Embossing Fanatic

Since I don't have a problem cuz I use desiccant in Tupperware containers, I tried this. I used an old clumpy EP with a before and after adding two pinches of cornstarch into about 1 oz of EP. I shook it up the clumps disappeared and the cornstarch disappeared into the EP and embossed fine! Looks just the same as the original. Someone else with a problem will have to try this for the long term results.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2014, 06:31 PM   #20  
Glitter Guru

Wow. I will have to look to see if I still have any clumpy stuff or if I pitched all of it. I'd love to try it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2014, 10:37 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have had my EP for many years. I keep it in its original containers and then I add one macaroni . Sounds odd I know, after so long I throw out the old macaroni and put a new one in. I believe it takes the humidity. I have mostly stampendous but also other kinds. None of my EP has ever gone lumpy.

The Lord is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear.Psalm 27:1
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2014, 10:54 AM   #22  
Glitter Guru

Peggy, that makes sense. I had thought of rice, but realized that it would be a bother using the EP with even a few grains of rice mixed in. One macaroni, though would be easy to take out before you used it. Ha, I can't believe I am asking this, but what kind/shape of macaroni do you use? Elbow?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2014, 02:56 PM   #23  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 737 Likes on 358 Posts

Gee...I dont think I have this problem though I have not looked at all my EPs lately....definitely I have ones that are years old and fine.

I would call the company and tell them about it and ask them...I might say "as much as I like your brand I cant be throwing out half of it every couple years"....and see what they suggest. I'd sure like to know!

I do really screw the top on tightly but that was because I was afraid of spillage. I have picked up the loose topped jar in my life...not fun. I wonder if that helps.

We do have humidity here sometimes but I tend to run the A/C to get rid of it...even on low with cooler days because I dont breathe well in humidity. (no more steam rooms for me) Maybe just a few hours on and off to keep it down.

But if it is getting to your EP in a double package system...you dont see it getting to your paper? How are you storing that?

As for the mac shape, I'd stay away from ridges (like some wagon wheels) and things with hollow insides like an elbow or the EP will get into it/cling to it more.

I wonder if one of those ceramic teddies I put in the brown sugar would work?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2014, 04:12 PM   #24  
Glitter Guru

No, I wasn't using a double system until after I realized some of mine had gone off. I just had the jars sitting in open bins.

No problems with my paper, which is stored in hanging files, but since I discovered my EP had been affected by humidity, I checked my envelopes, and found a lot of them were already stuck in the closed position! The ones that are okay are now in plastic baggies with desiccant packs.

It's just really humid here in southernmost Florida. Like, REALLY. And all the time, all year round.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2014, 08:03 PM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

Humidity is a real problem for me too and I've tossed way too many jars of embossing powders. A lot of my metallic EP tarnishes and I'm not sure if that's due to humidity too. I now keep them in airtight containers (snapware with the rubber gaskets) with gel packs and that has helped increase their shelf life. I've had to resist the urge to buy EP in bulk since I end up tossing so much of it.

erin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2014, 12:14 AM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

All mine is SU. I've had some around 7 years. None of it has gone bad. We have very high humidity here in the summer, but cold snowy winters. I've always kept it in the original container.

By the way......what the heck is EP anyway? I've always wondered if it's tiny plastic granules that melt.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2014, 03:58 AM   #27  
Glitter Guru

I think that's what it is, Alli. Plastic granules that melt.

I don't think it matters what brand it is when it comes to high humidity, to be truthful. Erin knows what I mean ;-)! Hawaii is much like where I am when it comes to constant, all year long, high humidity levels.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2014, 06:17 AM   #28  
Proud Fan Club Member

Rachel...can you ask at your LSS what they suggest? They would be in the same zone you are and likely they are stampers themselves. Many brands come sealed so in terms of the new store inventory wont help.

I like the idea of the plastic wrap in terms of more getting in but am concerned that it will trap some in there as well.

Yeah, see...I wanted to see if you are having issues with other product in the room and it sounds like you are...so.....I might suggest using a product called Damp Rid-you can get it on Amazon and elsewhere...it's meant to prevent mold (so a 2fer for you) and you can get it in all sizes...little for drawers, either for the closet or armoire you keep the dp in...up to for the whole room and not a lot of money....I think I saw a whole room model for 8 bucks...there may be other brands that people like...I have only used this one for closets...I think they come small enough to go in the bins. You could pop it in the file drawer with the paper too. I think you must know about this kind of product being in FL, but maybe not thinking of it for this application?

And then of course there is the gadget route...DHs like gadgets so he might go for it lol
air dehydrators. Maybe you could find one on ebay or at a garage sale over time too. It could be a good "project" for him to surf and hunt down a good priced one...some like to do that. Unless you think he will just say get rid of the EP.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2014, 07:44 AM   #29  
Glitter Guru

I think I've got it under control with my current system, wavejumper. At least I'm going to wait and see how it works out.

Really no problems with paper. Just the EP and the sticky glue on the envelopes.

I do run a dehumidifier in my bedroom, and an air conditioner, both full time year round with the door shut and hygrometers in the room so I can monitor things. But that's because I keep my guitar in there. It's expensive to run these machines. So I make do with air conditioning during the worst of it in my studio.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2014, 10:28 AM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

My LRSS is climate controlled and has central air so humidity is not a problem for them. My sister, who is also a stamper, lives in Ewa Beach has central air which she uses alot and an outrageous electric bill, says all her EP is fine. She also doesn't have the rust problems that I seem to have with some of my gadgets. I have central air but live higher up so I try to take advantage of the tradewinds and get a lot more rain - I'm thinking of getting solar electric soon so that may solve this problem.

eri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2014, 12:15 PM   #31  
Glitter Guru

Yes, you and I are in similar climates, eri. It's either live with all the windows shut and run the air all the time (too expensive) or live with the effects of humidity and mitigate what you can. I get the rust, too. It's just a fact of life.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2014, 01:42 PM   #32  
Proud Fan Club Member

That was the word I was looking for! Dehumidifer! sheesh.

Ok well that product has small inexpensive versions to it if you decide this plan isnt working for you. What a PITA. EP is not the cheapest thing on the planet to begin with collectively...one pot is ok. But building a collection adds up! I hate that you had to throw out so much! :( I hope this plan works!
Reply With Quote Likes