Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-24-2005, 12:14 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Carl paper cutters?

Does anyone have the personal Carl paper cutter? If so, which one do you have? I'm thinking about getting one and would like people's opinions.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2005, 12:23 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

I have the RT200, which I use primarily for "big" cuts, like cutting 8.5x11 in half. For smaller trimming, I use a hand rotary cutter and a transparent grid on a self-healing mat.

I find the Carl cuts accurately if I replace the rubber (?) strip under the blade. If it wears, it pulls the blade, and you get a ragged cut. You'll think the blade is dull, but it's the mat. Make sure you have extras on hand!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2005, 12:26 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

It is funny you just posted this because I was just thinking about purchasing an upgrade to the carl cutters I have now. Anyway, I have 2 carl cutters. I have the an RT-200 ( 12") and a PRT-100 (12"). They are dependable and cut straight everytime. I am thinking of upgrading to the DC210 or DC220. They are a heavy duty cutter. They are supposed to cut up to 24 pc of cardstock. My honest opinion is no matter what trimmer you get, you can not go wrong with carl cutters. Hope that helps.

Theresa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2005, 12:35 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Default Carl cutter

I have the RT 200 a gift from my mom Christmas 2003 and all I can say is she is sooooo tired of me thanking her! I love it and use it tons!!! Have most of the blades too and love to scallop edges etc!

ASAP..... Always Say A Prayer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2005, 01:51 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks a bunch to everyone. I currently have a Fiscars 12" trimmer and have always been unhappy with it. I already ordered one of the heavy duty Carl paper trimmers after trying out the one my friend has. I wanted something that would be easy to take with me when I go out to scrapbook or to make cards. I'm sold. Now, which model is best? I'm thinking I will get the PRT-100 12" trimmer because I heard it was very easy to change the different blades. Is that true? I want to easily change between straight cut, scoring, and fancy cuts. Thanks for your advice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2005, 04:12 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

I bought 2 of them. The DC 220 and the RT 200. I use the DC 220 FAITHFULLY. I LOVE the fact that I can cut a huge amount of paper at one time - very quick and eacy to use. This is a GREAT investment.

The RT200 I have only used once....I hope to use - thanks for reminding me that I had one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2005, 04:24 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

I have the DC-238. It's the Heavy-Duty model, 18" model. I got that one because my demo/upline was ordering and that's what she was getting. If I were to do it again, I'd get the 12" or 15". I love this cutter for cutting a lot of cardstock quickly. I use it to prepare for workshops, or when making Christmas cards or something else special. I don't use it everyday because it's bulky to keep out.

The other thing about it is that because of the design you can't cut anything smaller than 2". So you still need your Fiskars for the small cuts. If you are a demo, and buy from Everafterarts, you get a huge discount. Here's the link to the kind of cutter I have:

http://www.everafterarts.com/products_DC200.html

Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2005, 05:08 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have the prt 100 12" cutter and I love it. The blade is very easy to change out and I agree with the other poster that the mat needs to be changed when it starts acting up. Each mat can be flipped 4 times. I've had mine for about 8 months and have only flipped the mat once so far.
Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2005, 05:17 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Carl Cutters

Hi Susan, How do you find out how much the discount is on the site you posted? Been looking and could not see any info.
Sandy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2005, 05:18 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had such a nightmare experience with this company. My friends and I each purchased one at convention from a company that has no storefront and no website. All 4 of us agree it was clearly misrepresented. She implied that the smaller model (the one around $50-60) could cut as much paper as she demoed with the larger model. She showed it cutting a magazine. This was important because I am a teacher and need to cut mass amounts at one time. Well, we got them home and of course they did not even cut the 10 sheets of cardstock it says on the packaging. We could barely get 4 sheets without crooked cuts or rough edges. We had no one to contact but the company. From the first call they were extremely rude and I eventually got to the top guy who was worse than the rest of them put together (ten of 11 contacts with them they were totally nasty). They said I just needed to learn to use it right. Nope, all 4 of us followed the directions to the t. Then they told us to just return it to the seller. Could not be done. No way to contact. I asked them to take it back as it said "Satisfaction Guaranteed" and the head guy of the company told me no as it was not defective. I explained that I was not "satisfied" and he said he did not care. He was extremely rude. I sent it back anyway and they had the nerve to send it back to me and said to take it up with the dealer and that once it was out of his factory he would have nothing to do with the customers!!! He then sent me a rude letter saying that no product really means "Satisfaction Guaranteed" that it just means they guarantee it is a good product. Suffice to say none of us will deal with them again!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2005, 05:35 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

OM Gosh, can't believe the people at Carl are that rude. I agree though, my DH bought my DC 220 15"cutter for Christmas this year, from Everafterarts. I LOVE IT!!! I wanted it especially to cut matboard., and that it does very well. It is like a $160 cutter and with a scoring blade and S & H we had $88.61 in it. It is a little bulky like she said, to leave out all the time, but its wonderful. I just slide mine in and out of the box. The only bad thing is there are only 3 blades for this model.

I have the larger fiskars with all the blades, and have used it maybe three times, I keep threatening to sell it on ebay, but have yet to do so.

If you are a demo, definately order it from Mike at Everafter, but they have changed locations and the fax phone number is not the one on the website, or it wasnt at Christmas time, I talked to him on his cell phone in FL. He is absolultely wonderful to work with.

Just my two cents worth, hope it helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2005, 03:21 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Okay I have another question about the Carl personal 12" trimmers. My friend has one (she said it's the blue one but couldn't remember the model), anyway she told me that although it cuts very straight, the measurements on it are wrong. She said that when she would cut the CS at 5 1/2 and then score it at 4 1/4 it wouldn't fold correctly and the other card (which should be the same size of course) would be smaller. Is this just a problem with her trimmer or is this something that has caused problems for other people too? Just checking. I really like the idea of the CARL trimmer but want the measurement markings to be absolutely correct. Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2005, 03:48 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I ran into this problem shortly after I started using my trimmer...ask her if she has changed the blade lately...if she has, she may have put it in backward as I did!!! Couldn't for the life of me figure out why things were not working when several cuts and several blade changes (decorative) before it was perfect. I posted a message here asking what could have happened and someone replied with this same answer...sure enough...I put it in wrong...both sides look the same but when it is in correctly the blade should be right up against the guide "thingy"!
Hope this helps...Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2005, 03:49 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

I ran into this problem shortly after I started using my trimmer...ask her if she has changed the blade lately...if she has, she may have put it in backward as I did!!! Couldn't for the life of me figure out why things were not working when several cuts and several blade changes (decorative) before it was perfect. I posted a message here asking what could have happened and someone replied with this same answer...sure enough...I put it in wrong...both sides look the same but when it is in correctly the blade should be right up against the guide "thingy"!
Hope this helps...Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2005, 03:43 PM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

I have the Carl DC 210 and I hate it. I have a very difficult time lining up the measuring bar and then I can never get my card stock to cut evenly. I bought it so that I would be able to just line up my card stock once when I was preparing for a camp. It takes me so long to get it all lined up that it would have been quicker to cut each piece individually.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2005, 04:14 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

I just bought the DC-210 that is the 12" and the 6" DC-95, both are rotary blades. I love them, love them!! I hated my Fiskars, the cuts were alway wavy and unless the blade was brand new every time, it left a ragged edge. I thought well that is the way it is until I read that there are other type cutters out there. I asked a lot of questions here and so many people responded, the majority advised the Carl over all the others and to get it from Michael at Everafterarts.com. He was so nice and I got a wonderful discount because I was a demo and it got here sooner than I expected.
I really love the nice clean cuts and the ease of it. I had no problem setting it up and cutting multiple pieces of cardstock and it cut like butter. He also advised about getting a couple of extra mats and blades which I did.
I am glad I followed the advice from the wonderful helpful people who responded to my question. I debated over 2 months and finally did it and wished I had done it sooner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2005, 04:16 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

I LOVE my Carl cutters - I have the big one (rt200) and the smaller one! I don't know how I cut without it -
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2005, 06:26 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks stamper-c for the info. I will tell her right away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2005, 06:42 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Alta Loma, CA ~~ With the *Girls* ~~~~~~~ Rubi, BeckyZ and Bia

stamper-c -

thanks for telling us about the blade being in wrong. I got the DC-210 for Christmas and I love it. I did change the blade to do some scoring and when I put the cutting blade back, all my cuts have been off. Guess I better go and turn the blade around. THANKS!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2005, 06:50 PM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2005, 07:05 PM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

:lol: :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2005, 08:16 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

I think I need to get one of these.
Do you think the shipping is more than 10%?
Ronda
Reply With Quote Likes