Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-17-2005, 12:04 PM   #41  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by spammie
If you're looking for a little shimmer, the SU Shimmery White is lovely & the shimmer shows through images stamped with Classic ink. It's myfavorite paper!
I was just going to suggest this. I LOVE the Shimmery White!! It is more expensive though :(.

Visit My Blog : Granite State Stamper
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2005, 12:27 PM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts

One other suggestion I haven't seen yet. What about the chalk inks? I've used them on glossy paper and they don't seem to fade, and they're also a lot easier to use than the craft pads (for a large project anyway) Just my 2 cents.

Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2005, 12:41 PM   #43  
Die Cut Diva

Great thread! I've learned alot and Dot those invites sound totally gorgeous. I sure wish you could scan them in and show them to us...you sound very talented.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2005, 03:06 PM   #44  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by CropQueenB
Keri, you are so right. I would age a decade trying to avoid the slippage and get it all looking perfect on glossy. Slippage is my issue with craft ink. It reminds me of giving a baby a bath, hee hee. Slippery little things aren't they? With what, 200 of those invitations to stamp I would be a basket case. Dot, I wish you the best trying to convince your friend to go a "safer" route for you sanity's sake.

Happy Stampin',
Barb
Totally agree. The slippage factor is so great on glossy that, especially when doing so many and you get weary, the cost could become prohibitive and cut into your profit. I would try to push the Pearl Ex idea if you can....and it's pump hairspray, not water!

It's not fair. Life was never this hard for Barbie & Ken
-
unknown

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2005, 04:09 PM   #45  
Kookie Creator

The shower sounds lovely. Wow! that's a lot of guests!

My first thought was the same as someone else here -- Shimmery White. It has the great smooth surface like the Ultrasmooth Cardstocks and the ink sits beautifully on the page.

Here's my experience with glossy... I don't call it "fading", I call it "mellowing". I started noticing this when I brayer the Spectrum Pads (dye ink) onto glossy for backgrounds. (I just love my brayer!!!!). Anyway, the ink is always vibrant and bright as it is applied but quickly begins to "mellow" on the glossy cardstock. I really like the effect but it can be a little disconcerting if you're not expecting it. Stamping with the dye inks on glossy tends to provide the same "mellowing" effect for me.

The same ink stamped on different cardstocks will show differently. On the ultrasmooth the ink sits on the surface and stays vibrants. On the Naturals and Confetti the ink tends to soak into the surface producing different results as well.

That's why I'm so glad there are so many different choices on products to use. I'm always able to find something to fit the look I have in mind.

Good luck with the invites. Sure sounds like a lot of work. When the gallery is back up you'll have to post so we can all oooh and aaah!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2005, 04:48 PM   #46  
Mad Swapper

Wow, dot2dot...I have been stamping for years and have never had anything fade of any significance. I even use the dye ink in my scrapbook, and things stamped 14 years ago still look fine! I do not know what happened to your Easter card, and do tend to use US much more than glossy. Is the ink pad new? Maybe there is something wrong with it. Has it faded to gray on other cards/crations you have made? I would call DS if that is so and let them know about the problem. Certainly ink that fades in one month is not up to SU standards!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2005, 05:09 PM   #47  
Stazon Splitcoast

i have been stamping for over four years, with only SU inks. I just sent Keri some cards that were over four years old a few months ago.. for the troops.. and they looked great. they were stored in a plastic container in my stampng room. so, i totally do not understand how in the world an easter card could be faded already.

Photographer serving the SE Houston area
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2005, 05:45 PM   #48  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thought about this a bit more--I did notice that when I have used (any) dye ink on glossy, the application of heat from my heat tool to speed up the process resulted in noticeable fade.

Judging from that, I'd say that dye ink on glossy c/s tends to fade even more rapidly if exposed or stored in an area where heat is conducted--for example, even if they were enclosed in a dark box, but the box was set near a window . . . well . . . that could contribute to premature fading.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2005, 05:52 PM   #49  
Matboard Maniac

or in this case premature grey! sorry I couldn't resist- too much sun and yard work waiting for the gallery to open.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2005, 06:17 PM   #50  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Here's my experience with glossy... I don't call it "fading", I call it "mellowing". I started noticing this when I brayer the Spectrum Pads (dye ink) onto glossy for backgrounds. (I just love my brayer!!!!). Anyway, the ink is always vibrant and bright as it is applied but quickly begins to "mellow" on the glossy cardstock. I really like the effect but it can be a little disconcerting if you're not expecting it. Stamping with the dye inks on glossy tends to provide the same "mellowing" effect for me.

Great description! This "mellowing" is exactly what happens to me, too. There is a definite difference from the application to the results a little while later. I also noticed it the first time when I was using a Spectrum pad, and have since noticed it with the Classic pads,too.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2005, 11:24 PM   #51  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by dot2dot
MamaKimberly, the Easter card was not made using an inkpad. It was made using the Lavendar Lace marker which has the ink in it directly from the Lavendar Lace reinker.
Do you mean you put reinker into a marker??? Interesting idea.

I have no idea if that is a factor in early fading or not. The same ink is in pads and cartridges, but they don't officially recommend that, do they? Which is not to say it doesn't work. I appreciate that they will test for a couple years to be sure before they officially endorse things like that. Is this a common thing to do? I've been stamping for seven years and can't say anyone's ever suggested it to me. But then, they know I'm a klutz.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2005, 09:37 AM   #52  
Die Cut Diva

Have you considered using Brilliance ink instead? I believe it is a pigment ink so it should resist fading, but it is specially formulated to dry on glossy surfaces. Here's a blurb from the manufacturer's website:

Fast-drying ink and rich pearlescent colors� you never thought you�d see this combination from a pigment ink. Designed for use on shiny papers, Brilliance dries to perfection on vellum, mica, acetate, photo papers, sculpey clay, shrink plastic, and much more! Brilliance is the solution to all your tricky pigment stamping problems. Ideal for scrapbook embellishments � no smeared pages or smudged page protectors.

I've used it on vellum and ribbon and it dries super fast for a pigment ink. Depending on the color you want your gazebo to be, you might find something that works. Here's a link to the manufacturer's website:

http://www.tsukineko.com/store/cart....duct_list&c=12
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2005, 03:46 PM   #53  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

Oooh, yes, Brilliance on glossy paper!! Stippled! I've done that. You can get a wonderful effect.

And Michael's has a sale on stamp pads this week.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2007, 06:07 AM   #54  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaDRHCView Post
I think this post, sorry to digress, is a great reminder to all who are making cards for cash. It is very important to go over all the pros/cons, details, etc. with the client at the first meeting, and then set a follow up meeting with prototypes. Then you can show the client your vision, see if it matches her's and give her a "heads up" if a certain technique or style you thought would work won't. Also, if the technique she picks after the second meeting calls for back-up hands you can factor this into your cost or time needed.

When in the business of making and selling cards, remember it is a business just like the caterer, the band, or the rental company.

Doing a favor for a friend is a whole other issue, but even friendships end when there isn't proper communication.

Lisa

Itis also important to have a signe contract stating that the cards/invites are hand made and may/will have variations including variations in shade of color. This will cover you for variations due to not only how hard each stamp is pressed to the possiblity of slight fading by May.

I would be upfront and tell her(them) your concerns and produce a few samples and have her sign an agreement saying you discussed these points and she agrees you are working in good faith.

Best of Luck,
Markey
[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes