Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-10-2005, 10:47 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about saving cards on harddrive instead of fav's

I got this idea from a thread going around on here. I'm sorry, but can't remember who to give credit!! Well it has been working great up until the past few days. I save a pic and when I go to summary I have this screen that says:
Property/Value screen and when I click on the button that says Simple near the bottom it takes me to the normal screen where I could put in the info on who made the card, how to make it, etc. Well it won't let me put in anything at all.

Normally the Simple page is there first with the lines highlighted white so you could add the info, and you had to click on Advanced and get the Property/Value Screen.

Can someone please tell me what is going on?? I would greatly appreciate it.
http://michellegruber.stampinup.net
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 10:56 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Hmmm...this is the way I save my cards to my computer, but I haven't had the problem you're talking about. I'll have to try and see if I can make it happen!

Ah Ha! It appears that I can't add info on pictures that are saved as .bmp (bitmap). I can enter info on .jpg files. Odd...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 11:06 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

Any help on this would be great for me, too! I can same images on my work computer fine :oops: , but at home, my computer will only let me save images as .art files, which I can't open later! :?

...Brutal Honesty Gladly Accepted!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 11:10 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmarth
Hmmm...this is the way I save my cards to my computer, but I haven't had the problem you're talking about. I'll have to try and see if I can make it happen!

Ah Ha! It appears that I can't add info on pictures that are saved as .bmp (bitmap). I can enter info on .jpg files. Odd...
Okay I'm computer stupid can you save it as .jpg instead. I used the pull down screen when saving and it only list bitmap. Can you add .jpg somehow.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 11:16 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

I just checked about 10 pics and they all say bitmap. I wonder if we are not supossed to save them so they changed all the pics to bitmap so we wouldn't do it.

The only reason I do it is because I want to be able to look at my favorites in categories. That is the only reason I save them like that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 11:47 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Ok, this has happened to me numerous times. It is a problem that hte tekkie forums discuss a lot. It seems when your temporary interenet files become too numerous, this will happen. When you right click to save a pic, it will only save as untitled bitmap. Try to go into your tools>internetoptions>delete files. it will take a bit. Then try again. If it still doesn't work - restart your computer. This will work - I almost guarrantee it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 11:50 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Ok, here's what I did to change mine to JPEG files. I'm using Windows XP.

I went through Explore on the Start Bar (not Explorer the Internet connection) and navigated to the folder where I have my pictures saved.

I right-clicked on the file, went to Open With, then Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. It opens up the picture in the viewer.

At the bottom is a little icon that looks (to me) like a painting with a paintbrush. It's next to the computer disk icon. When I hover over it with my mouse, the help text says "Closes this program and opens the image for editing (Ctrl-E)". Click that button...

Now it's in Paint. Go to File/Save As and choose "Save as type:" JPEG.

Now, the little text area in the Properties is available to take text.

Wshew! What a lot of work!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 12:14 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Where is the thread that this is discussed??? I've searched but can't find it... I really need a better way of saving pics of cards... right now I save them in a Word document and put the recipe in a text box... yea, I know... but that's how I started doing it a long time ago and never thought of finding an easier way...

Thanks a bunch!
Dina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 12:25 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Here's the thread...

---->Enter Here<----
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 12:29 PM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Thank you ma'am!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 12:40 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jm_donahoe
Ok, this has happened to me numerous times. It is a problem that hte tekkie forums discuss a lot. It seems when your temporary interenet files become too numerous, this will happen. When you right click to save a pic, it will only save as untitled bitmap. Try to go into your tools>internetoptions>delete files. it will take a bit. Then try again. If it still doesn't work - restart your computer. This will work - I almost guarrantee it.
I'm *right there* with JM on this one! I'm 99% certain she's right. I have my anti-virus set to clean my cache memory every day so that this doesn't happen...and it never does.

Also: if you have a scanner or photo editing software, try pasting your cards in that software....usually, you can manipulate from .bmp, .pdf, .gif (or another other type of photo file) into a .jpg file.

HTH ~ K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 01:46 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by jm_donahoe

I cleaned out my files and it is now working great!! Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 01:49 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmarth
Ok, here's what I did to change mine to JPEG files. I'm using Windows XP.

I went through Explore on the Start Bar (not Explorer the Internet connection) and navigated to the folder where I have my pictures saved.

I right-clicked on the file, went to Open With, then Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. It opens up the picture in the viewer.

At the bottom is a little icon that looks (to me) like a painting with a paintbrush. It's next to the computer disk icon. When I hover over it with my mouse, the help text says "Closes this program and opens the image for editing (Ctrl-E)". Click that button...

Now it's in Paint. Go to File/Save As and choose "Save as type:" JPEG.

Now, the little text area in the Properties is available to take text.

Wshew! What a lot of work!
Yes alot of work, but I only have about 10 to fix thank god!!!

Thank you all so much for all these neat tricks!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 02:12 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

I don't really understand what you guys are talking about. Here's how I save mine. As I go through the gallery and I want to save a sample I put my pointer to the left top side of the picture. I hold down the right mouse button (I don't let go) and I hightlight the pic AND the recipe. That way I have the recipe and the creator to give credit too later. Anyways, I highlight the pic and the recipe. When I get down to the bottom of the recipe (accesories and techiniques) I let go. Everything remains highlighted. I hold down the control key (ctrl and C ctrl+c) and that copies it. I then open a word document and once I get a cursor I hold down the control key again and v (ctrl+v) and that pastes it in the document. Then I can go in and edit out the 4-5 preview pics underneat. Here is a sample. I either keep pics of the same set in a document or I do it by theme. To save room on my computer I end up printing them out and putting them in a three ring binder (one card per page). These are just random pics that I picked.

Hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Spring_Is_Coming.doc (194.5 KB, 13 views)

Mother of three wonderful children (Brayton-17 months, Brianna- 5 & Kyle-eight) and one grown man (my DH).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 09:03 PM   #15  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angie Humphrey
I don't really understand what you guys are talking about. Here's how I save mine. As I go through the gallery and I want to save a sample I put my pointer to the left top side of the picture. I hold down the right mouse button (I don't let go) and I hightlight the pic AND the recipe. That way I have the recipe and the creator to give credit too later. Anyways, I highlight the pic and the recipe. When I get down to the bottom of the recipe (accesories and techiniques) I let go. Everything remains highlighted. I hold down the control key (ctrl and C ctrl+c) and that copies it. I then open a word document and once I get a cursor I hold down the control key again and v (ctrl+v) and that pastes it in the document. Then I can go in and edit out the 4-5 preview pics underneat. Here is a sample. I either keep pics of the same set in a document or I do it by theme. To save room on my computer I end up printing them out and putting them in a three ring binder (one card per page). These are just random pics that I picked.

Hope this helps.
Yes, you are right, however - you can just right click a picture and save it to a file. There is a malfunction with the temporary internet files folder and the ability to save pictures like this. Over time this can become corrupt and when the Temp files get too large, it will only allow you save pictures to your hard drive as a bitmap (typically untitled). If it hasn't happened to you - great! But it might later. If you google the words only bitmap, you will get tekkie forum after tekkie forum explaining it. I think that is what happened to Angie.
Reply With Quote Likes