Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-11-2005, 09:37 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Question for SU demos

I love the idea of buying retired sets, but I hate to pay for shipping if I don't have to. As a general rule, do demos sell their retired sets. I asked a demo near me once if I could buy any of hers (I swear it looked like she had a 1000 sets) and she looked insulted! So, I thought you guys would know best.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2005, 09:45 AM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Joan!
My demo sells her retired sets about once a year, usually in August or September (after the new catty comes out!) She usually advertises ahead of time and it is first come, first served! This is usually at the beginning of the 6 or 10 club meetings and/or an open house that she hosts and it is always very well attended! My demo does have trouble parting with some of her older sets, but she is very honest and open about it. Before I found this place, she found me a retired set I wanted from her upline or downline and I didn't have to pay postage. Good luck, it never hurts to ask, so don't feel like you offended her or something! My demo would be flattered if asked and if she didn't want to keep the set, she would have sold it!
Laurie
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2005, 09:55 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Joan,

I'm a demo and yes, I sell my retired sets. There are usually some I choose to keep because I want them for my personal use, but others I will sell. I usually offer them first to my customers, and any that are left I post on-line. If I have to mail them, I have the purchaser pay the postage.

Kerry
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2005, 10:45 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Location: I try to live in LaLa Land, but people keep interrupting me!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
I love the idea of buying retired sets, but I hate to pay for shipping if I don't have to. As a general rule, do demos sell their retired sets. I asked a demo near me once if I could buy any of hers (I swear it looked like she had a 1000 sets) and she looked insulted! So, I thought you guys would know best.

Maybe she is thinking she can take them with her when she dies?

I'd think most of us would like to "rotate our stock" so to speak. Maybe she was having a bad day? I have my a few sets that are my most favorite, and want to take them with me...but darn...anyway.
I do get bored with them or just don't used that set often enough to keep holding on to it. Have you tried the B/S/T here on SCS? (ooops forgot you are trying to avoid the shipping costs!) Are you looking for anything in particular?

Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2005, 10:54 AM   #5  
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 410 Likes on 247 Posts

I'm a new demo still collecting myself. I only joined in February. However, my upline does sell hers at an open house in July or August. I will probably do something similar if I become more than a hobby demostrator. Right now I just buy what I really like rather than what I think will sell well! You know what I mean?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2005, 12:50 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B

LOL -- you mean part with stamp sets -- yes, you have got someone like me -- if you asked me it would be like selling a friend in some cases! I don't think I would look insulted more than "what, sell them?" and then imagine an image of a huge woman (me) standing in front of my stamp drawers with both arms outstretched to the sides out blocking them so no one can reach them - LOL -- I have a bunch of sets and was asked that by a few people when retired lists came out when I was a SU demo, but I just couldn't do it! I have really rarely bought a set that I could part with merely because it was retired and couldnt demo it, I think those people would be ones that were truly good business people and wanted to only keep the ones they could demo -- Well I do remember Little Layers I wasn't that fond of anymore and thought of getting rid of it, but when my DD wanted to stamp one day I gave it to her to use, and she loved it, so I guess I am keeping that too!

I do hear of a bunch of demos that do sell them every year to "rotate stock" as someone said, but there are also some of us that couldn't bear to part with a set, regardless of whether it could be demoed or not. THough I have to say if I only have about 50 stamp sets if that -- if I had 1000 stamp sets like your demo does my DH would probably be eyeing them to sell on ebay right about now as he wants some extra cash for our house!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2005, 01:08 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm a fairly new demo (6 months) but, I have been stamping for years. I have many, many sets that should probably move on to someone who will use them more....sigh.... I did create a Retired "table" sale for my customers but, since I have a fairly small customer base, it hasn't been as successful as I hoped. Demo's have to buy a lot of supplies and new sets to demonstrate, so I was hoping this sale would give me some cash for the new catty.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2005, 02:42 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

I give the retiring sets that I will no longer use, and all discontinued paper, markers, inkpads, etc.) to the ladies in my church who make missionary cards. If I didn't have that option, I would sell them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2005, 03:46 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

I'm a demo and I sell mine each year at Open House. This is held after the new catty comes out. I normaly sell them for 30% off. I do keep some of the ones I use for personal use. Most are let go. I just don't have that much room in my house!

Stays on Stamping!
Karen
[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2005, 04:40 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, if there are any demos out in the Fairfax VA area who are thinking of having such a sale, please pm me!!!! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes