Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-13-2006, 09:54 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A question for teachers (or anyone else who would like to respond!)

My son is in preschool and he has two teachers. This is his second year. Last year, for year-end gifts, I asked around the school and determined the interests of both of his teachers. I made them each a card and gave them each a very generous gift certificate to the LSS (turns out they both like to scrapbook). This year I was planning on making them each a clipboard and card and giving them another gift certificate to the LSS. However, yesterday at school one of the "Red Room" mothers (the room my son is in) suggested that we all pool our money and give them one big/nice gift rather than individual little gifts. One mother even commented that they must be sick of getting mugs, frames, pins, etc.

I was kind of looking forward to making the clipboards and giving them the gift certificates (they both seemed to appreciate them last year). I asked her what she had in mind to give them and she said that she would ask around to find out what their interests are. I already did that!

I'm just looking for opinions here...should I go along with this or should I go the individual route? Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Donna

Member #32310
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2006, 09:59 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Well, you could give them the advice that you already did that and here's what you know. Tell them the idea you had, maybe they would like to contribute to a large gift certificate? You can tell them you already have the supplies for the projects you were planning. If they want to contribute, great, otherwise theres no reason you can't still do what you were planning. They may appreciate not having to do the legwork and thinking since you've already done it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2006, 10:00 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Default As a teacher

I love to get handmade things and if it were me I would do an individual gift knowing that they would appreciate what you do since you share the same hobby. That being said, I have been a teacher for many years and the truth is that a nice gift certificate is a wonderful gift. I have recieved dozens of mugs, tree ornaments, and Chicken Soup for Teachers type books. For me, a gift certificate to a book store or a stamp store would be wonderful. I don't know any teacher in the world who does not love books, so I don't think you can go wrong there. Another great idea is a gift certificate to a restaurant she likes. Teacher's lives are extremely busy this time of year. So nice of parents to remember the person who spends the most waking hours of the day with their children. Thanks for doing this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2006, 10:13 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I had another idea... what about some type of basket? Each person can sign up for a certain gift, and when put together it would be large. This way, they don't get duplicates, and each person can contribute something personal? If you know their interests, you can meet some of these. Also, things that make summer fun, dinner gift certificates, books, and stuff like that when combined could be really fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2006, 10:21 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

At our school (I'm both a Mom and Teacher there) we usually do pool our money together to get one nice gift certificate or nice gift. It is up to each parent what they would like to contribute to cover the teachers and the assistants. You should not feel like you have to contribute to the collection. If you purchased something or are even planning to make something that is great! As a teacher I love getting handmade things (especially stamped ones!). Your child's teachers will appreciate anything you do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2006, 12:02 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

Do what you feel comfortable with and what makes you feel like you've shown your appreciation.

What do I do? To be PC--I always contribute a small $ amount to the overall "classroom" gift. I also make a hand stamped item and enclose whatever else I want to give them. For instance, last year I made boxed cardsets and enclosed a small envelope with a gift card to the movies. The year before I did tumbled tile sets with a gift card to a local coffee shop.

I watch our teachers go above and beyond every day for the kids at our school. I KNOW I couldn't do their job (the idea of being left with 20 kids every day scares me and makes me tired just thinking about it) and they are all so underpaid for the *very important* work they do.

Annette
http://stamponthis.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2006, 12:29 PM   #7  
The Digi-Freak

I say give the $ to the gift cert and make sure they know that the LSS is the way to go!!

And I say ALSO give the clipboard, they're sure to lvoe it!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2006, 01:13 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamakimberly
I say give the $ to the gift cert and make sure they know that the LSS is the way to go!!

And I say ALSO give the clipboard, they're sure to lvoe it!
I think that's the route I am going to go...contribute to the group gift but still do something individually.

Thanks for your feedback, everyone! I appreciate it!

Donna

Member #32310
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2006, 01:14 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubber Stamp Nut
My son is in preschool and he has two teachers. This is his second year. Last year, for year-end gifts, I asked around the school and determined the interests of both of his teachers. I made them each a card and gave them each a very generous gift certificate to the LSS (turns out they both like to scrapbook). This year I was planning on making them each a clipboard and card and giving them another gift certificate to the LSS. However, yesterday at school one of the "Red Room" mothers (the room my son is in) suggested that we all pool our money and give them one big/nice gift rather than individual little gifts. One mother even commented that they must be sick of getting mugs, frames, pins, etc.

I was kind of looking forward to making the clipboards and giving them the gift certificates (they both seemed to appreciate them last year). I asked her what she had in mind to give them and she said that she would ask around to find out what their interests are. I already did that!

I'm just looking for opinions here...should I go along with this or should I go the individual route? Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Donna

I would go with kind of a compromise -- give the money you planned on giving for the gift certificate to the room mom for the pooled GC and then make the clipboard and a card for a personal gift from you. If you feel like you don't want to give it as the same time as the others are giving them, maybe you can drop it by her house or by her office at a different time to show your appreciation??? My cousin used to teach and she loved the personalized thank you touches that she received from parents, especially the notes -
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2006, 02:01 PM   #10  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

I need to leave for my DD's recital soon, so I didn't finish reading all of the posts. I have been a teacher for many years, but I teach high school, where kids are embarrased to give their teachers a gift. I have to say that I appreciate absolutely anything! Over the years, my favorites have been homemade cookies at Christmas, since I never have time to bake myself. I have gotten some ornaments, which I have come to appreciate more over the years. I am Jewish, but my DH is Catholic, so we have a tree. When I pull out an ornament from a student 20 years ago, I get very sentimental!

That said, I think you should go ahead and make the clipboards that you had planned to make in the first place. Then, since you were going to do a gift certificate anyway, contribute to the group gift. It will probably be less than you would have spent on your own. There's no reason you couldn't suggest that the gift be a gc to the lss. Just don't be offended if they don't take your suggestion.

I take aerobics and collect $ every year for a gift for our instructor. The first few years, I tried to be creative. I got a beautiful gift set from Bath and Body Works, but the instructor said she wouldn't have time to use it (she has twin boys). Twice I got her an aerobics outfit. One was perfect, the other she had to return because it was too small. (Embarrasing.) Then two years ago, we found out her favorite restaurant. Now, we just get a gift certificate which is enough for her entire family to enjoy a night out. She loves it, and it's easy for me to go out and get it. So, I'm thinking that since you know they love to scrapbook, the gift certificate is the perfect gift.

I'm sorry. I think I rambled, and I need to go!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2006, 04:05 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a former preschool teacher msyelf, I can tell you that we appreciate all gifts and the thought put into them.

Now that said... ;), I really appreciated gift certificates, especially to restaurants, esp. those that served alcohol. LOL Just kiddin'!

Here are a few great gifts I'd recevied in the past: a box of microwave popcorn with a GC to a local video rental store, GC to local teacher supply stores, disposable useable items like Bath & Body works soaps and lotions, edibles like cookies at the holiday season when I had not time to bake, hanging flower baskets or potted flowers. I loved it all, but I did get way too many mugs and candles (and I'm a bit of a candle fragrance snob!).

I think your idea is great! Make the clipboards and let everyone contribute to a GC for the LSS, maybe even a restaurant for lunch, too!

mary rose
Reply With Quote Likes