Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-30-2006, 06:40 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question for you SU! scrapbookers out there --

Hi! I'm a demo who has pretty much done cards, cards, and more cards. A customer of mine wants me to host an all scrapbooking stamp camp. Now that I have gotten over the initial panic, I am putting together an order for some SU! scrapbooking supplies. Here's my question -- what SU! scrapbook supplies can you not live without? Are there any alphabet sets that are a must? Any certain stamp sets? I've been through the catalog a million times chanting "Scrapbook . . . scrapbook . . . scrapbook . . ." and I'm still not sure what to order -- help!
Thanks for your opinions! You guys are the best!!
Irene
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2006, 06:52 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well...an alphabet stamp set is an absolute must and of course 12x12 paper, if that's the size you're doing. The rest will kind of depend on what you're scrapbooking. A basic flower set is always good, unless of course you're scrapbooking boys.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2006, 07:17 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Think of the pages like big cards! Wheel are a great way to whip up background papers. There's no one special thing in the catalog says scrapbook for me...every stamp set can be used for memory pages.

However, alphas are a must cause I always stress "no more orphan letter stickers"

Splitcoast member #803
My Gallery
Read my LATEST STORY on OurEcho.com
http://www.ourecho.com/biography-200...rie-Hyle.shtml
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2006, 07:25 PM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Scrapbook help

Yes, an alphabet is a must---and I use the bigger ones like Headline and Tidy Alphabet all the time. Also, I have found the stamp set Little Pieces to be very versatile and helpful. You can stamp a single stamp from Little Pieces over and over again and tear or cut one to add a cute side or edge to a 12x12 paper (there is a great example of a little single stamp used this way on page 3 of the catty--the 12x12 page---they used the little stamp from Flower Filled). Be sure to take your punches with you also---the daisy and heart one have been esp. useful for me when scrapbooking.

Have you considered the Designer Series papers? Those can help out a lot and can take up empty space on a page to really bring things together. I have used the Sassy set (pg.207) many, many times and have seen beautiful pages done with the new Cambridge and Oxford papers on page 206. Those papers make scrapbook pages look beautiful in a snap.

Good luck and have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2006, 07:27 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

The color coordination that SU offers is a great thing to mention to scrapbookers. The paper matches the ink which matches the pencils, whch matches the eyelets which matches the ribbon etc etc. I also like to mention how our cardstock even with s&h is around 37cents a piece compared to 59cents in most stores.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2006, 07:27 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love my craft spots for scrapbooking! And the shape stamp sets like simply circles, etc that I can make backgrounds for my 2 yo ds's scrapbooks. And, of couse, alphabets! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2006, 08:07 PM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

If I were you I would consider starting off demoing 6x6 and 8x8 sizes before cracking into 12x12 (both for yourself when you are making samples to show your customers, and in your workshops). The smaller sizes are MUCH easier to create layouts on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2006, 08:19 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Ditto on the Craft Spots and an Alpha Set. I think a geometric shape set like Shape-Ups is great - you can stamp a shape and then a letter on top of it for a title, use it to stamp a border, stamp all over cardstock for a background , stamp image shapes over it for a border... the shapes can go with just about any type of photos.

HTH,
Anita
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2006, 08:36 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Ditto on all of the above. I think that just about any set in the catalog could be put to use in a scrapbook somehow, but a few of my favorite sets for scrapbooking are Stipple Celebrations, Winged Things, Shapes and Shadows, and Little Pieces. And a good alphabet set is a must.

Another thing to consider is the Simply Scrappin' kits. While you may not want to order these for yourself, it might be a good idea to point these out in case there are any non-stamping scrappers out there.

And three other things that are must haves for my scrapbooks: Ribbon, hodgepodge hardware, and tag sheets (or the tag punch if you have it)

Oh one other thing I wanted to mention. At my first SU party 3 years ago, I was rather overwelmed looking through the catty trying to figure out what I wanted to buy. I really would have appreciated the Stampin' kits (pg 25-27) if they would have had them back then. You might want to point those out as well. Sorry this is such a long post but as you can tell, I'm a very enthusiastic SU scrapbooker.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2006, 08:39 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

For scrapbooking, I use my "Pure & Simple" alphabet a bunch. Another MUST HAVE is the "Just Journaling" stamp! I'm not a demo, but I have sold a ton of these to my friends that scrapbook. It is a MUST HAVE item for us "straight line challenged" people!!

I also use floral stamps ex: "heartfelt thanks", "love without end"

For cute girl pages I use the "button, bows & twinkle toes" with "little shapes" behind the image

For cute boy pages "toy box" with "little shapes" behind the image

I also like using cute buttons, ribbons, brads, eyelets etc...

There is SO much out there that you can do! Just have fun!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2006, 08:52 PM   #11  
Vee
Glitter Guru

Yes, everyone will buy the just journaling set. Demo it with versamark or top boss and they will order that too! My scrappers resisted, but after a couple workshops all bought collage alphabet becasue they didn't have to line up the letters neatly and I showed tham how it can look good with severall styles of page and is really not the "ransome note" people forst think of. I recently had 2 workshops based on pages in Stampin Success that were huge hits.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2006, 03:01 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

I agree with the above posts, but you might also want to think about the elements of a page, this is what I usually do:
1. Title
2. Date (i like to use little tags, or circles, or just a pen in the lower right)
3. Journaling (it is all about the story, or it is just a photo album JMO)
4. Focal point photo ( I usually blow this one up and mat it special)
5. Color selection, here I would use the color tool (love it) pick and inspriational color from the picture, and then match others 2 or 3 others to go with.

I would pick a layout that you like from the idea book and copy that. Oh and other than alphabets I don't stamp much on my pages, I think I am a little challenged in that area, but customers still buy the stuff!

good luck
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2006, 03:44 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

The color wheel is a must. This is what helped me make the switch from CM paper to SU paper. It really helps you pick great colors for the layout. I also take my color wheel to the LSS to find patterned paper to match SU solid paper.
Also make sure to take the heat tool if you are using craft ink. Otherwise one customer may end up with a messy streaked page!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2006, 05:18 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

As a scrapper, I'd recommend 8x8 over 6x6. You can have folks bring 4x6 pics and it will fit on the page. I scrap 12x12 more often, but there is a lot of space to fill. And here's my scrapping wish list - I'm just starting to incorporate SU items into my scrapping...
* It's a Date - some neat ways to indicate the date of the event I've scrapped.
* More alpha's - ALL of them!
* Everyday & Expressive FP - great way to do journaling in a list format or to highlight specific words amongst handwritten journaling
* Pockets & Pieces - great for tucking journaling into

And you might want to make the bulky embellishments optional. Some folks like flat pages & some like heavily embellished.

Have fun!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2006, 05:34 AM   #15  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as a scrapper AND a demo I would NOT do 8x8 simply b/c we do not sell 8x8 albums!;)

6x6 can be done in progression to 8 1/2x11 and then 12x12
Search in teh gallery for "progressive scrapbook" and you will see lots of examples.

Favorites:
Headline Alpha
Simple Type Alpha
Jumbo wheels
Embossing
Eyelets/Brads
Perfect layers

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2006, 06:42 AM   #16  
Mad Swapper

I second the idea of the 6x6 for several reasons... first b/c it is more economical (you get 4 pgs per 1 12x12 sheet) second it is faster and third you can easily make a 6x6 into a 12x12 page - just my thoughts... i also recomment the phrase starters II - i LOVE those for scrapbooks!! one of my friends is into the wheels for backgrounds. i prefer the smaller background stamps with versamark!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2006, 06:48 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

I was a scrapper way before I ever stamped, now I am a demo with a scrapbook club. I find myself using the same stamps on pages as I do cards. I don't think you 'HAVE' to buy anything...except for an alphabet if you don't have one. I do all different size pages 6x6, 8.5x11 and 12x12 for my club members, and they all prefer the 6x6. Simply because it only requires 1 picture. It is hard to scrapbook for other people, because everyone has different styles, their life's are different...so I think 6x6 keeps it simple for everyone. They can always turn that 6x6 into a 12x12 when they get home

I just did a 6x6 page yesterday(it's in my gallery) that I am using for this months club meeting, all you need for that page is best blossoms and an alphabet (I used whimiscal..it's my favorite for that size)

Good luck and have fun!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2006, 07:00 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by camsmom
as a scrapper AND a demo I would NOT do 8x8 simply b/c we do not sell 8x8 albums!;)
See - told you I don't use much SU stuff in my scrapbooks (yet)...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2006, 07:07 AM   #19  
Forum Fanatic

I just wanted to say that while it is doable to scale a 6x6 page up to a 12x12, imho it is much easier to make a 6x6 I am quite pleased with because embellishments that are nice and large and have the visual weight I am looking for on a 6x6 scale can look pretty puny on a 12x12 page. That is one of my small frustrations with 12x12 pages for my layouts, is that it is harder to find bold and appropriately-scaled accents. Between that and getting a little tired of the look of having only 4x6 photos or smaller on my LOs I am beginning to look long and hard at 8x8 scrapbooks.

I'm not saying this to call anyone's advice down, or suggest you demo nonSU stuff, but just to maybe make it easier for you as a confessed non-scrapper to connect with some of your scrapping customers. I'm just mentioning some of the issues I've faced and continue to face as a scrapper. I'm sure I'm not the only 12x12 scrapper who could use a little encouragement to stop being cheap and get focal photos enlarged, or be reminded to try out embellishments that are massive when considered on their own, but balance out a 2-page 12x12 layout perfectly. (So if you haven't already, consider using some of the larger stamps you have, maybe something in the 3x3 size or larger.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2006, 07:57 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahloumel
I just wanted to say that while it is doable to scale a 6x6 page up to a 12x12, imho it is much easier to make a 6x6 I am quite pleased with because embellishments that are nice and large and have the visual weight I am looking for on a 6x6 scale can look pretty puny on a 12x12 page. That is one of my small frustrations with 12x12 pages for my layouts, is that it is harder to find bold and appropriately-scaled accents. Between that and getting a little tired of the look of having only 4x6 photos or smaller on my LOs I am beginning to look long and hard at 8x8 scrapbooks.

I'm not saying this to call anyone's advice down, or suggest you demo nonSU stuff, but just to maybe make it easier for you as a confessed non-scrapper to connect with some of your scrapping customers. I'm just mentioning some of the issues I've faced and continue to face as a scrapper. I'm sure I'm not the only 12x12 scrapper who could use a little encouragement to stop being cheap and get focal photos enlarged, or be reminded to try out embellishments that are massive when considered on their own, but balance out a 2-page 12x12 layout perfectly. (So if you haven't already, consider using some of the larger stamps you have, maybe something in the 3x3 size or larger.)
8x8 is nice but for SU demos obviously not an option. You can get the same look by taking an 8 1/2 x 11 album and using only the 8-1/2 x 8-1/2 square at the top or bottom for your scrapbook page, and using the remaining area for journaling. I always had a hard time trying to fit in journaling and one day thought that might be a great way to still have a squared off area and "pretty" area and also have a place to write a bunch of stuff! I save stuff in the computer for my kids journaling and then every once in a while print it off all in one sheet, then cut off the strips needed for the pages and you are all set.

Also you don't necessarily need a large 3x3 stamp image just because it is a 12x12 page -- bigger is not always better, LOL -- putting a smaller image on a tag or border can balance the page just a as well. And frankly big huge things on pages is kind of outdated back with the paper dolls that were huge!

Oh and getting back to what is a "must have" -- I personaly think the Simply Scrappin kit Sparkling Holiday is a great kit, not only for holiday pictures but there are a lot of snow pictures and other things that could be done with that kit. Tag sheets are also a great thing -
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2006, 04:42 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

I've scrapbooked for 5 years and made cards for 1 1/2 years. Last March I went to my first SU party and I was completly hooked because of the color coordination. I went for cards but thought only about scrapbooking when I was looking through the catty the first time. There were a lot more scrapbooking products last catty but this one is great too. I've just got my first alphabet stampset (brushstroke) and love it. I bought the vintage Simply Scrapping Kit right away because I had a vintage album to do but didn't like the stamps enough to buy them. Definately show the Stamp-a-ma-jig. That's my next purchase. Definately show the Hodgepodge as well. It is expensive but scrapbookers now it's a good buy and how much the peices are alone in the stores. I liked the ease of the wheel stamps, but still haven't bought one yet.
The punches are pretty straight forward. You don't need to show them but if you know any image stamps that fit perfectly in the punch size, I'd show that for an embellishment especially with the metal edge tags. I love the stampin' spots as well. It's a great way to get all colors at once to start, plus they make great backgrounds.
Every scrapper has a different style so listen to what you're customers are interested in.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss." - Jonathan Larson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2006, 05:03 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've been a scrapbooker for over 8 years. I've just recently added stamping to my pages. I am a new demo and my next workshop in Feb I am doing a 2 page 6 x 6 in winter theme, 6 x 6 regular page and one 12 x 12 in Valentine's theme. For the winter page I am using the tag punch with gently falling SAB set and the let it snow stamp from tiny talk. The regular page I'm using note worthy and too terrific tags and the tag punch again. For the valentine's day page I plan on using the loving hearts stamp set. I haven't yet designed the page out yet but that's the set I plan on using. The 6 x 6 pages I am doing them like a card to show them that they can make a card and mail them to relatives.

oh a must have is that stamp ma-jig tool. If you demo that they really love it especially for the alphabets. I demo'd it in Jan and 1/2 of my customers ordered it.

The everyday flexible phrases is a must have for scrapbookers. It is great because the mini words can go on the tags.

As for the alphabets I love the headliner set but of course it can only be used if you are writing something small. I use the bold alphabet a lot. I just got the tidy alphabet and I used it on one of my pages where I kissed it to a background stamp which was really nice. Pure and Simple is a big hit. I sold 2 of those. I don't have it personally but my scrapbook friends liked it.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2006, 07:34 AM   #23  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigfingers
8x8 is nice but for SU demos obviously not an option. You can get the same look by taking an 8 1/2 x 11 album and using only the 8-1/2 x 8-1/2 square at the top or bottom for your scrapbook page, and using the remaining area for journaling.

Also you don't necessarily need a large 3x3 stamp image just because it is a 12x12 page -- bigger is not always better, LOL -- putting a smaller image on a tag or border can balance the page just a as well. And frankly big huge things on pages is kind of outdated back with the paper dolls that were huge!
I never thought about modifying the 8.5 x 11 into a square like that. I think I will pull out my old album again! And obviously I didn't explain very well what I meant with the size thing. I guess I was thinking more of avoiding "sticker/stamp sneeze" with a bunch of out-of-scale images scattered around, or a layout with a 3/4" stamp making up a border that would look good on a 6x6 page, and that would be more appropriate to substitute with a 2" image on a 12x12 page. And I don't remember recommending nasty paper dolls or trying to recreate that look. Obviously this is all just my humble and respectful opinion.

eta: looks like the OPer has gotten a lot of great advice in this thread! I hope it's all helped with your planning for your upcoming SB workshop.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2006, 08:37 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahloumel
I never thought about modifying the 8.5 x 11 into a square like that. I think I will pull out my old album again! And obviously I didn't explain very well what I meant with the size thing. I guess I was thinking more of avoiding "sticker/stamp sneeze" with a bunch of out-of-scale images scattered around, or a layout with a 3/4" stamp making up a border that would look good on a 6x6 page, and that would be more appropriate to substitute with a 2" image on a 12x12 page. And I don't remember recommending nasty paper dolls or trying to recreate that look. Obviously this is all just my humble and respectful opinion.

eta: looks like the OPer has gotten a lot of great advice in this thread! I hope it's all helped with your planning for your upcoming SB workshop.
Mahloumel you are absolutely right in correcting me, I was way out of line. I agree you were not suggesting paper dolls but I wasn't trying to be nasty. I reread my post I am really amazed I wrote it -- in fact when you IM'd me I had to hunt and figure out what you were talking about because I am usually not offensive to people, the last one to scrapbook according to trend or what have you. I must have really been in a mood when I wrote this, I apologize - So point taken, did not mean to offend. Thanks for the heads up. I guess the point I was trying to get across actually was trying to be helpful and not insulting -- I was just imagining a big huge stamp and was trying to suggest that the original poster didn't have to invest in big stamps, since they said they were having trouble trying to accommodate for the larger size.

Oh and before I get all the paper doll lovers out there hating me and emailing me, I really do like paper dolls and Jill RInner made a fortune from me and my daughter, I was I guess just trying to help someone that is going to be demoing things, and in that case, being a consultant and having been a SU demo in the past, you want to demo things that are current trends. Please don't fill up my email box with things like you paper doll hater you, LOL because I really do love them, I do -- just trying to make a point and obviousoy I missed really badly.

Thanks again for the reality check - I will try to keep my opinions reined in a bit or at least reread my posts before I send them instead of typing really fast before DH comes in to see if I am working, LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2006, 08:52 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

And one other thing.....the VERSA-MARK PAD!!!! I think it's been mentioned a little bit, but NOT ENOUGH!! Like I said, I'm not a demo, but have sold tons of these because of their versatility!!! I'm sure you know all the uses "embossing, watermark, etc...." It is nice because sometimes you don't need all the inks with this pad. You can do cute background pages without having to have the deeper shade of ink color to match your paper (if that makes any sense???!!!) LOVIN' THE VERSA-MARK!!! Good luck weeding though all this great advice!!
Reply With Quote Likes