Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-08-2022, 01:24 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 35 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Scoring Tool

Do you use your scoring tool? I have a big, bulky Stampin Up scoring tool, and I rarely use it. Very rarely I will score a larger sheet to make a 4.25 x 5.5" card.

I'm thinking that I could live with a mini version of this device and not have to store this big bulky thing.

What do you do?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2022, 01:44 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,819 Likes on 1,912 Posts

I use both sizes of scoring boards. I like the larger board to score the full size cardstock before cutting in half. I find it easier to score full size sheets on the larger board. Also if following a tutorial that calls for a piece of paper larger than 6 inches wide, I like the larger board to score properly.
LisaFeatured Stamper #671Love sending BRAK cards. Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 5 users liked this post by lovinpaper:
Chinocookie (07-04-2022), ChrisO (06-09-2022), fl_beachbum (06-09-2022), katzarm (06-16-2022), Teachybaby (06-15-2022)
Old 06-08-2022, 09:18 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks Lisa. I love the idea of making paper rosettes and using it for other fun projects. I just never do though. I am more of a card and tag maker.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2022, 04:18 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 976 Likes on 475 Posts

I keep the large one for scoring before cutting my card fronts. (Like Lisa said.) It just saves a little time to score one long sheet instead of scoring the cut pieces. Then I can make a bunch of card fronts at one time and have them scored, folded and ready to go. However, I know a lot of people just cut the paper in half and store the 1/2 sheet, scoring when they actually make the card. Just figure out what makes you happy

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 5 users liked this post by fl_beachbum:
ChrisO (06-09-2022), Hoboken Paper (06-09-2022), lovinpaper (06-09-2022), pepperann (07-26-2022), pnzimmer (06-15-2022)
Old 06-10-2022, 04:22 PM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 738 Likes on 358 Posts

The large one allows you to make envelopes if you don't have a punch thing.

Also good for scoring bigger cards like slim lines.

I like the greater versatility of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by wavejumper:
fl_beachbum (06-14-2022), hultenlk (06-11-2022), katzarm (06-16-2022), kazeka (06-12-2022)
Old 06-12-2022, 02:02 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks for all the replies! Will have to get creative!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2022, 02:58 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovinpaperView Post
I use both sizes of scoring boards. I like the larger board to score the full size cardstock before cutting in half. I find it easier to score full size sheets on the larger board. Also if following a tutorial that calls for a piece of paper larger than 6 inches wide, I like the larger board to score properly.
Oh my gosh, why have I not thought to score my card stock before cutting in half? I make all of my card bases and have been cutting first, and then scoring each piece to make my card. Duh!! I'm going to change the way I do things now.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 7 users liked this post by kazeka:
Chinocookie (07-04-2022), fl_beachbum (06-14-2022), Hoboken Paper (06-12-2022), katzarm (06-16-2022), lovinpaper (06-12-2022), pnzimmer (06-15-2022), wavejumper (06-13-2022)
Old 06-12-2022, 03:01 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoboken PaperView Post
Do you use your scoring tool? I have a big, bulky Stampin Up scoring tool, and I rarely use it. Very rarely I will score a larger sheet to make a 4.25 x 5.5" card.

I'm thinking that I could live with a mini version of this device and not have to store this big bulky thing.

What do you do?
I don't have an envelope punch board so I use the large scoring board to make my envelopes instead. I cut my paper at 8x8, line up the points at the 6 inch line, and score at 3 and 9 inches. Then I score the top and bottom folds . I also make all of my own card bases and use it to score my cards.
I only recently got the smaller Scor Buddy, for cards, but keep going back to my large board. I agree though, that it's so bulky and takes up too much room. I end up scoring on the dining room table instead of my craft table.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2022, 01:52 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts

I agree, the big one is BIG. However, I do use it all the time.

If I was to do something different, I'd use my paper trimmer with either a scoring blade or a stylus to make my score lines. What I wouldn't do is buy a smaller score board.

YMMV

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2022, 03:42 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindylou1220View Post
I agree, the big one is BIG. However, I do use it all the time.

If I was to do something different, I'd use my paper trimmer with either a scoring blade or a stylus to make my score lines. What I wouldn't do is buy a smaller score board.

YMMV
Interesting idea. My SU guillotine trimmer is pretty bulky too. But I do like it. I tried a rotating
blade trimmer and it it wobbled outside the track and the cuts weren't straight. It's possible that I just bought a bad one, or they have improved a lot since my last purchase. It would have been before 2010.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2022, 04:00 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts

I, too, have a guillotine paper cutter. However, I also have several trimmers. That’s the style you need to use in place of the scoreboard. So, if you don’t have one of those, you might want to get one of the small score boards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2022, 05:45 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 941 Likes on 862 Posts

When you said score tool I thought you meant the bone folder lol...After reading replys I see its the scoreboard. I have both the large and the small and use both equally. I'm a card maker so usually I use the small one for the cards and tags and embellies I make. But if I'm going to make exploding boxes or albums I would need the large one. I have the envelope punchboard for most envelopes. All that being said I also have the WRMK Trimmer Scorer and it folds in half so when open its a full size trimmer and scoreboard with all those lines but if you fold it for storage or travel it also works as a mini scoreboard and trimmer. Kind of like the best of both worlds. I have this one at my summer home where space is very limited. I also prefer to use a stylis instead of a bone folder to make my score lines. Just easier for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
kazeka (06-15-2022)
Old 06-15-2022, 08:12 AM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I have both the large and a small scoring board (both Martha Stewart). As a cardmaker, I use the small one about 95% of the time. When I do fancier cards or boxes, I use the bigger one. The bigger one also has a little triangular thing that slides into the bottom that helps with making envelopes. Both of them have scorelines every 1/8 inch, whereas I think some of the older Scor-Pals have lines in varying widths (I think the newer ones have more regular lines now)

So they both have their uses, but the little one is the one I use on all my usual card bases and takes very little space (I keep it with my small guillotine cutter.) The only downside of the small one is that the paper folder tool is not securely attached to the board for the Martha Stewart version (I think the mini Scor-Pal is better designed for that). I've taped the tool down to the board since I prefer using an embossing stylus anyway (person above mentioned that) to score my cardstock.

I've seen some WeRMemory (I think - might be American Craft) mini scoreboards for like $5 at Tuesday Morning, but that was a while ago, and Tuesday Morning is sort of hit or miss. Dollar Tree (Is it $1.25 Tree now?) has been seriously ramping up their craft tools - maybe they will come out with one (won't be $1.25, but will certainly be less than a new Scor-Pal).

Hope the rambling helped!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2022, 08:27 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 482 Likes on 357 Posts

I use the Scor-Buddy - the small scoring tool from Scor-Pal. It's perfect for scoring card bases and creating score lines on card fronts. I don't need anything larger (and don't have space for large tools).

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2022, 10:56 PM   #15  
Glitter Queen

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I am quite happy with my Fiskars scoring blade, and I use it on the small cutter. I can’t remember the last time I got out my scoring board. Someone on this thread mentioned Tuesday Morning. I was in a large one today in TX. The only craft items they had were markers and a couple pads of clearance paper. I asked an employee if I missed the main craft area and she said they don’t have a craft area anymore. Oh it broke my heart to hear that. I hope it’s just a supply chain issue. Sharon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2022, 04:14 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Received 941 Likes on 862 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeymum13View Post
I am quite happy with my Fiskars scoring blade, and I use it on the small cutter. I can’t remember the last time I got out my scoring board. Someone on this thread mentioned Tuesday Morning. I was in a large one today in TX. The only craft items they had were markers and a couple pads of clearance paper. I asked an employee if I missed the main craft area and she said they don’t have a craft area anymore. Oh it broke my heart to hear that. I hope it’s just a supply chain issue. Sharon

Our Tuesday Morning out here in Illinois has also dwindled the craft area to next to nothing. The 6x6 paper pads I use to get for $1.99 or $2.99 they now have marked at $6.99 and $7.99. All the other items have increased alot too. Not worth the trip for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by HOBBYSUE:
hockeymum13 (06-18-2022), kazeka (06-18-2022)
Old 06-21-2022, 09:07 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I have the smaller board and it has been perfect for my needs. I don’t mass produce or make large objects. If I did the larger board would be a life saver.

I needed to replace one of my trimmers. I just bought the eCraft trimmer scoreboard. I like that combo. I am not trying to hype/enable that board. It looked to be a good fit for my needs. That might be an option is a trimmer-scoreboard.

Side note about the eCraft. Be aware the measurements are bonkers. It is more in CM than inches. That wasn’t a problem for me. WRMK has a good one too. I just didn’t want a board with a proprietary blade system.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2022, 03:13 AM   #18  
Glitter Guru

Received 373 Likes on 222 Posts

I have the Martha Stewart large and small scoring boards, and I love them both. I use the small one most of the time, but it's nice to have the large one when I'm making multiple-fold cards or books.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2022, 08:44 AM   #19  

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fl_beachbumView Post
I keep the large one for scoring before cutting my card fronts. (Like Lisa said.) It just saves a little time to score one long sheet instead of scoring the cut pieces. Then I can make a bunch of card fronts at one time and have them scored, folded and ready to go. However, I know a lot of people just cut the paper in half and store the 1/2 sheet, scoring when they actually make the card. Just figure out what makes you happy
Wow! You just blew my mind. I’ve been stamping for 30 years and this never occurred to me. Thanks for saving me time!
Reply With Quote Likes
joyousgirl80 (07-26-2022)
Old 07-10-2022, 03:15 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 248 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Seriously ..... I declare this as the Tip of the Week! (or month, or day, whatever!)
I do keep my large one near my large paper cutter. But for working at my table, I do love my Scor-Buddy, and often wondered why I made myself go so long without it. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2022, 09:14 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasGrammyView Post
Seriously ..... I declare this as the Tip of the Week! (or month, or day, whatever!)
I do keep my large one near my large paper cutter. But for working at my table, I do love my Scor-Buddy, and often wondered why I made myself go so long without it. lol
I know, isn't it a great tip? And I have been making all of my card bases for years and years, but always cut them first and THEN scored and folded. Twice as much work for the same result!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2022, 04:15 AM   #22  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,554 Likes on 669 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

OMG. Genius.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2022, 04:19 AM   #23  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,554 Likes on 669 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoboken PaperView Post

What do you do?
I have two mini boards I love - the Scor-buddy is in second place. In first place, with only one reservation, is my EK tools mini board - it's WAY flatter than the Scor-Buddy and it has an envelope score board built into the back for 4 bar A2, A6 and A7 envies. I bought this board when I was teaching classes because it took up so much less space in my bag and every little bit counted.

The reservation is that the scoring tool that comes with it falls out of the holder pretty easily. The Scor-Buddy is a much better tool holder. I actually lost the little tool for the EK board for like a year and found it recently in a hanging file folder in my desk!

My desk is way too small for a large board.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2022, 03:50 AM   #24  
Mad Swapper

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Someone in a Facebook group was asking about mini scoreboards the other day and Jennifer McGuire responded that something new would be coming soon. Now I’m so curious! I have the big Martha Stewart board but generally only use it these days to make an envelope if I need to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2022, 10:32 AM   #25  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 498 Likes on 276 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
I have two mini boards I love - the Scor-buddy is in second place. In first place, with only one reservation, is my EK tools mini board - it's WAY flatter than the Scor-Buddy and it has an envelope score board built into the back for 4 bar A2, A6 and A7 envies. I bought this board when I was teaching classes because it took up so much less space in my bag and every little bit counted.

The reservation is that the scoring tool that comes with it falls out of the holder pretty easily. The Scor-Buddy is a much better tool holder. I actually lost the little tool for the EK board for like a year and found it recently in a hanging file folder in my desk!

My desk is way too small for a large board.
I have a narrow gap between the end of my desk and a bookcase that holds binders of cling/clear stamps. I slide my large Scor Pal into the gap and it is easily accessible from my desk chair. I also keep a glass mat and a foam stamping pad there. They slide in & out when I need them, and don't take up room on the desk surface.

I use the large Scor Pal all the time. My preferred card size is A9, which is 8 1/2 X 5 1/2 inches. I seldom make an A2 card, as I feel it lacks the impact of a bigger card.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2022, 11:06 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by contrapatView Post
I have a narrow gap between the end of my desk and a bookcase that holds binders of cling/clear stamps. I slide my large Scor Pal into the gap and it is easily accessible from my desk chair. I also keep a glass mat and a foam stamping pad there. They slide in & out when I need them, and don't take up room on the desk surface.

I use the large Scor Pal all the time. My preferred card size is A9, which is 8 1/2 X 5 1/2 inches. I seldom make an A2 card, as I feel it lacks the impact of a bigger card.
I have a gap like that as well, and I keep my Scor board there, along with a foil-covered clipboard that I use when I'm heat-embossing. There's even room for a folder of papers that I use to make envelopes (the patterns that I don't really care for, but can't bear to toss out). My craft area is small so I have to make use of every single crack and crevice!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2022, 06:04 PM   #27  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 498 Likes on 276 Posts

Karen,

Under my craft desk, in the knee-hole, I have a rolling file cart that still gives me plenty of leg room to sit and work. I keep my metallic cardstock in those files, since I use it a lot. I hear you about using all the space you have.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2022, 10:01 AM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 65 Likes on 35 Posts

I have the Scor-Buddy and the S.U. big board. I recommend the Scor-Buddy. I use it on every card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2022, 06:52 PM   #29  
Glitter Guru

Received 870 Likes on 518 Posts

I use both the small and large one too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2022, 11:34 PM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoptownracer1View Post
I use both the small and large one too.
For years I only had the large one, and then I got the small size. The problem is that I keep forgetting to pull out the smaller one, and the large Scor-Pal is too big to fit on my craft table. So I end up hunched up on the floor with it. No wonder my back keeps acting up!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2022, 02:48 PM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I have EK Success Mini and I use it all the time. I kept my big MS one but I rarely pull it out I wasn't sure I needed the small one when I bought it, but I am so glad I did.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2022, 10:28 PM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

Does anyone else have a problem with the Scor Buddy? Since it's small, the markings only go so far and I can't tell where the middle of the card stock is without either measuring with a ruler or folding it lightly in half. I like the fact that it's smaller than my large Scor Pal, but wish it was 8.5 inches across so it fits a standard letter sized sheet of paper. Kind of defeats the purpose of the scor board if I have to measure and mark the center before scoring. What do you do?
Karen

Last edited by kazeka; 08-04-2022 at 10:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2022, 03:55 AM   #33  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,819 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaView Post
Does anyone else have a problem with the Scor Buddy? Since it's small, the markings only go so far and I can't tell where the middle of the card stock is without either measuring with a ruler or folding it lightly in half. I like the fact that it's smaller than my large Scor Pal, but wish it was 8.5 inches across so it fits a standard letter sized sheet of paper. Kind of defeats the purpose of the scor board if I have to measure and mark the center before scoring. What do you do?
Karen
I do not own the Scor Buddy, but I have seen Gina K mark hers with a marker. Could you do that? I placed marks on my large MS Scoreboard as it is easier to see the bottom with the mark and know I am still in the correct groove.
LisaFeatured Stamper #671Love sending BRAK cards. Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2022, 10:28 AM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovinpaperView Post
I do not own the Scor Buddy, but I have seen Gina K mark hers with a marker. Could you do that? I placed marks on my large MS Scoreboard as it is easier to see the bottom with the mark and know I am still in the correct groove.
Hi Lisa,
Oh, I love this idea. I've actually marked my large Scor Pal board for measurements to make envelopes but why I didn't think of this simple but effective tip for my Scor Buddy I'll never know. Thanks!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
lovinpaper (08-05-2022)