Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-25-2006, 06:00 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Selling Lunchbox Tins?

Have any crafters sold these yet?

I'm wondering how much to charge for an altered lunch box tin with card divider inserts.

Or how about a decorated paint can, empty?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2006, 06:14 AM   #2  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A good rule of thumb for pricing is cost of materials (if you got the tins on sale use full retail) + time at $8.00 - $12.00 an hour. So if your cost was $5.00 and it took an hour to make the project I would charge no less than $13.00. Just remember that once you set your price for someone that person may order a dozen from you........you don't want to end up working for $3.00 an hour
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2006, 06:30 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanne S
A good rule of thumb for pricing is cost of materials (if you got the tins on sale use full retail) + time at $8.00 - $12.00 an hour. So if your cost was $5.00 and it took an hour to make the project I would charge no less than $13.00.
That formula is for wholesale ;) So if you're selling at a craft fair, you'd want to be able to double it. I think that's a problem with a lot of crafters, they are selling at wholesale.

I'm just wondering if these altered things are actually selling at $20-25 each? That's the only way they'd be worth my time to make and sell.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2006, 07:11 AM   #4  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by phunkymama
That formula is for wholesale ;) So if you're selling at a craft fair, you'd want to be able to double it. I think that's a problem with a lot of crafters, they are selling at wholesale.

I'm just wondering if these altered things are actually selling at $20-25 each? That's the only way they'd be worth my time to make and sell.
You're right.....long day yesterday
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2006, 07:24 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Default I sold 2 of them!

I sold some at work, and I was selling for $50.00 which included no inserts, and 17 cards that she got to choose from.... She loved it, got one for her mother and her mother-inlaw..... She also just bought Sweet 16 invitations from me.
So I think $50 is a great deal, then they can choose what goes inside.
I also didn't have any dividers to go in there... Dana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2006, 07:26 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

I just made one for a friend at work with dividers and an acrylic post it note stand with pen and a card that all matched. He had seen one that I brought in to show my friend that I had made for mothers day and asked if I would make one for his niece's wedding shower. He gave me her name and kitchen colors and I just spent a little time here and there whenever I got a chance to. I am very picky so I know it took longer than mosat people because I have a hard time making choices., but I wasn't really doing it for the money as much as for a favor for a friend and I like making them. The tin was one that was on sale for 2.50 from creative express. I wasn't sure how much to charge so I told him to look on ebay at the ones selling and when I was finished he could give me whatever he thought was fair. He gave me $30.00. He said it was well worth it and because she does cards and scraps she would know how much work went into this. Hope this helps a little.

The one I sold I just put into my gallery yesterday if you want to take a look to see what I am talking about. The comments always help and are nice also.
thanks.

GLITTER QUEEN
I WILL USE GLITTER IF AT ALL POSSIBLE!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2006, 07:47 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by taterbabe
I just made one for a friend at work with dividers and an acrylic post it note stand with pen and a card that all matched. He had seen one that I brought in to show my friend that I had made for mothers day and asked if I would make one for his niece's wedding shower. He gave me her name and kitchen colors and I just spent a little time here and there whenever I got a chance to. I am very picky so I know it took longer than mosat people because I have a hard time making choices., but I wasn't really doing it for the money as much as for a favor for a friend and I like making them. The tin was one that was on sale for 2.50 from creative express. I wasn't sure how much to charge so I told him to look on ebay at the ones selling and when I was finished he could give me whatever he thought was fair. He gave me $30.00. He said it was well worth it and because she does cards and scraps she would know how much work went into this. Hope this helps a little.

The one I sold I just put into my gallery yesterday if you want to take a look to see what I am talking about. The comments always help and are nice also.
thanks.
You did a great job. They are beautiful. Where are you all getting these lunch boxes. I have not been able to find them?
Dorothy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2006, 07:57 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Michaels, Joanns, Creative Express all carry them also basic grey sells one and do a search provocraft makes the one that I bought from creatice express. That should bring up all the stores that sell them. Hope this helps.

GLITTER QUEEN
I WILL USE GLITTER IF AT ALL POSSIBLE!!
Reply With Quote Likes