Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-10-2007, 01:50 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling Online

Let me preface this to say I already know that I can't sell my creations that I make using SU stamps online.

That said, has anyone sold their cards or handmade stamped creations online, either through your own website or ebay or etsy.com? What was your experience like? I'm trying to get a feel for how I should be going about selling my cards online.

We're in the process of adoption and because it's so expensive I thought I would do fundraising for it by selling my cards. I used to sell my cards at work and actually got a lot of good response to that and sold a lot of cards. So I wanted to sell at work and online.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2007, 02:05 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

check out similar auctions on ebay, to see what is selling, keep an eye on them by saving them to your ebay "watch this item" list, not sure cards are selling particulary, but paperbag books seem to be a hot item. just be sure of the angel policies of the rubber stamp and scrapbook paper lines you will be using, you can usually check that on line.

http://www.littlebit.com/angelList/a...policyonly.htm

here is a link to a website with a little information that will get you started.

Good luck with the adoption process and with your sales.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2007, 02:07 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

oh... you might make more money selling off supplies and stamp sets (appropriatley retired of course) that you are no longer using. As well as any other hobby supplies you may have, that you are not using. craft books, fabric, vintage hankies, it is amazing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2007, 02:35 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

My husband suggested that very same thing, that I sell some of my supplies.

But I love crafting so that's why I would rather keep crafting and sell what I make. It's just to try to make some extra needed cash on what I love to do. Thanks though, you're on the same page as my husband (which I've contemplated doing).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2007, 02:46 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

I know....but I got to thinking.....it is time to weed the collection...there is stuff I am never going to use, I have more than enough for a lifetime, or it just takes up space in my life and I need room for something else. I too, love my craft stuff, but it has taken over the entire basement and then some. and I can't belive I am saying this out loud. But I have been selling off some of the stuff and I don't miss is.

I read an article from Entrepenuer (sp) magazine and it said the average person has bbetween $3,000 and $5,000 worth of stuff that they could sell on ebay. I have funded the gas for several vacations for my dh and myself this past year, used the money to buy new craft stuff, and done some other things.

I am a retired teacher, earning teacher retirement. And if I kept at it regularly, I could offset the price of my health insurance each month with sales....of stuff. I do it sporadically, and have been doing it more lately. I lost both my parents this past year and while assisting them it was hard to stay focused on it and crafting.

I am exploring the selling of crafted items and have sold 1 Artist Trading Card for 99 cents. that is also all I have listed in that area, so I don't feel too bad, I have spent a good amount of time researching the copyright issue which is very annoying but very important and one should do all that they can to make sure they are incompliance with it, and with the vendors products copyrights that you use.

Soap box, I'll get off of it....
anyway....make some stuff to sell, weed your collection a little, you don't have to get rid of all of it , do a little research on what is selling...or sell some stuff here in BST (appropriate, of course) but I think most stuff brings a better price on ebay.... you won't miss it, honest....this is coming from a person who LOVES....all in caps.....STUFF

again, make sure you follow the manufacturers rules on use and sale of items using their products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2007, 03:10 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Thank you for your advice. I could even sell stuff on ebay that's not my craft stuff, including craft stuff I don't use. I didn't think about that. Wow. $3,000-5,000, huh? That would be awesome. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2007, 03:29 PM   #7  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna Cook
I
this is coming from a person who LOVES....all in caps.....STUFF
I love stuff too!

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2007, 03:31 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

I would have to agree with that ebay estimate. You just have to know what sells that is sitting in your house. For instance, children's outerwear from names like LLBean, Lands End and Columbia sell! I had about 20 items, it took me about 5-6 hours from taking pics, loading them and writing the auctions. At the end of 6 days, 13 items sold, I cleared $200 after giving ebay+paypal fees of 18% of my ending auction balances. That was easily 65-70% of the original price of the items. It was only a few months ago that one retired SU dinosaur wheel fetched something like $35. So, just a bit of research about what is selling on e-bay will bring in cash. Good luck making those extra funds.

Annette
http://stamponthis.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2007, 04:21 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

I recently sold the Dreams and Dragons I think that's its name, from SU, for $56. I got it from a group crafting yard sale for $10 , thought I'd use it and then gave it a try on ebay....was I surprised. And don't be afraid to ship internationally either, they pay the postage. This stamp set went to Canada, there was an additional $10 shipping and I know they had to pay another $9 for a customs tax in Canada, and they didn't bat an eye at the price.

Yeah...you don't want to sell your favorite stuff....just stuff you can live without.....

What great deals you made on your kids clothes!!!! Haven't tried clothes.
I also recently sold some lots of vintage hankies, that I paid about $1 each for at estate sales....they have been averaging $3 each and more....I had been collecting them to make quilts out of and got carried away, so I'm keeping the ones I really love, and passing on the others to someone who wants them, and then I get a few bucks to reinvest in otherstuff...not to mention the space, although hankies take up little space...they do turn a buck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2007, 06:33 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpchipmunk
Let me preface this to say I already know that I can't sell my creations that I make using SU stamps online.

That said, has anyone sold their cards or handmade stamped creations online, either through your own website or ebay or etsy.com? What was your experience like? I'm trying to get a feel for how I should be going about selling my cards online.

We're in the process of adoption and because it's so expensive I thought I would do fundraising for it by selling my cards. I used to sell my cards at work and actually got a lot of good response to that and sold a lot of cards. So I wanted to sell at work and online.

Thanks in advance.

Etsy is an awesome place!! They just redid the website! Are you selling on there!?

Jessica
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2007, 07:36 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Yup Ebay's the place. I just sold Cowboy Christmas for a rediculous sum of money. I was given the stamp set by a friend who wanted me to make cards for her and I could keep the set. NOw mind you I promptly spent the $$$ on more craft things but atleast for once it was free. I also looked around and found an old coluzzle template and some other stuff and it all sold. Ebay is the way to get rid of old, unused stuff. I need to try the kids clothes though. I have only bought, never sold kids stuff. I get great deals on Gymboree on ebay.

I tried selling scrapbook pages but it wasn't really worth my time. SO much effort put into it and they sold for 10.00. My time was worth so much more. Good luck on your fundraising.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2007, 01:51 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Donna, I'm so sorry to hear about you losing your parents! Lost mine within 1.5 years of each other after 3 years of pretty intense medical issues. That was 2 yrs ago, and I think I'm still catching my breath. (and about selling off my pretties -- NEVER!!! )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2007, 02:36 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

thanks jeaniebeanie....you just don't know the pain til you've been there...it is hard. I am sorry about your folks, too.....you can catch your breath, but it is still very sad, even if it is their time.

Try selling kids clothes, my upline does pretty well with it. I sold some more ATC cards...the three valentine atc s in my gallery....The little girl sold for $10.50. The cupid behind the heart for $8.25 and the big cupid girl for $3.99. It was fun, minimal supplies...lots of time...but fun. Need to do some more someday...won't get rich from it. But I like doing it...which is the only reason to do it, I guess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2007, 05:40 PM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

If you don't mind me asking, how much did your Cowboy Christmas get on E-Bay? I have one unmounted set that I have been hanging on to for years and one mounted one that I do use. I was thinking it may be more beneficial to wait until Sept-Oct to list when people start thinking Christmas cards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin'momma
Yup Ebay's the place. I just sold Cowboy Christmas for a rediculous sum of money. I was given the stamp set by a friend who wanted me to make cards for her and I could keep the set. NOw mind you I promptly spent the $$$ on more craft things but atleast for once it was free. I also looked around and found an old coluzzle template and some other stuff and it all sold. Ebay is the way to get rid of old, unused stuff. I need to try the kids clothes though. I have only bought, never sold kids stuff. I get great deals on Gymboree on ebay.

I tried selling scrapbook pages but it wasn't really worth my time. SO much effort put into it and they sold for 10.00. My time was worth so much more. Good luck on your fundraising.
SCS Member #772
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2007, 06:14 PM   #15  
Crimping Master

I don't think it matters what time of year you sell it.....if people are looking for it, they buy it when they see it...but there are no guarantees....a lot of it is about how many are listed at any one time, and what you charge for postage and the phases of the moon (just kidding). But it may matter, who knows with ebay.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2007, 06:36 PM   #16  
Mad Swapper

I got $45.00 plus shipping for it. I pm'd ya with the details. It is crazy what some craft stuff goes for. I saw a two page layout went for $760.00!!! That isn't a typo, or a mistake I saw that the lady has already paid. I have seen dreams and dragons go for over $100.00. The old chore chart used to rake in the bucks too. I have one I am holding on to just for this occasion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2007, 08:20 PM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by llevans
If you don't mind me asking, how much did your Cowboy Christmas get on E-Bay? I have one unmounted set that I have been hanging on to for years and one mounted one that I do use. I was thinking it may be more beneficial to wait until Sept-Oct to list when people start thinking Christmas cards.
Did you know that you could do a search of that set and specify completed listings and it will give you an idea of what the set you have has been selling for lately?

My creative therapy
Reply With Quote Likes