Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-25-2005, 09:39 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sew Crafty Mini Help

I'm in middle of making a batch of stitched cards for a swap (need 6 total). I did three with no trouble at all, then suddenly my machine went odd. The stitches aren't sticking, it's skipping stitches when it does take, and the needle keeps coming unthreaded (pulling thread from the tail instead of bobbin). I didn't make any adjustments, so not sure what happened.

Has anyone had this happen? How did you fix it? Provocraft and their boards are not really a lot of help.

I usually love this little thing, but I'm sitting here cursing it a blue streak right now. I don't have a big machine, so hoping someone out there knows what to do so I can finish this swap.

Thanks bunches (in advance)

Tam
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2005, 09:47 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

I had a bit of trouble with mine and I fixed it..permanetly..in the garbage it went!! I was trying to use it and figure out what I was doing wrong, talked to 14 <~~14!!! people and they HATED IT! then I went to the PC message boards and there is not 1 single good comment out of hundreds about that little thing! UGH, can you tell that little machine is a sore subject with me! lol I was wondering why it only cost me $5! lol Good luck with yours..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2005, 10:08 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Default ME TOO!!!

I bought one... just for paper... sold it three months later on ebay! It's not even worth the box it comes in. I wish I had room for a decent machine. But for now, no sewing for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2005, 10:10 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Yes, you can fix it the way I did just this evening. I took the stupid thing back to the store used and all. I told them it was a piece of junk and they were kind enough to let me swap it out for different stuff in the store. Unfortunately you do not have a large machine and since it has worked for you in the past, I truly hope someone here will be able to give you advice to getting the little monster back on track. Sorry it is giving you such grief.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2005, 11:02 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks for the input. I might be taking mine back too. It's worked up till now, goofy thing. I ended up making the last three hand-stitched. While the stitches aren't as straight or as uniform, I actually think i like those look better. Go figure.

As far as the mini monster goes, I'm going to wait until I come across my guide and give it one more try. Like i said, it worked great until last night. Who knows.

Tam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2005, 11:55 AM   #6  
Inking Addict

Hi Tam,
It sounds like it is probably a problem with your tension. It will cause you machine to give you loopy stitches or skip stitches. You can adjust this with the little dial on the front that the thread feeds through, no way to know just how much to turn it, you just have to do a little and try again.

could also be the needle, check to make sure it's not bent or doesn't have a snag on it. A snagged or bent needle will cause it to pull up stitches as it's sewing.

Hope this helps. I've had mine for about 5 months now and I love it. This only problem I've had is I broke a needle hemming my jeans, LOL. I was being lazy and didn't want to get my machine out.

Let me know if you need any other help with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2005, 12:07 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

I have lost of trouble with mine too. The thread always knots up and it wont go any further. I will use my regular sewing machine if I want to make stiched cards. I will use this little trouble maker without thread just to perforate!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2005, 12:58 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I had the same problem and you guessed it, fixed it by returning it!!! I just use my big old heavy one now! Does a much better job!! My handy stitch even worked/works better than the mini thing...
Good luck, whatever you decide to do with it!
C
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2005, 01:31 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Glad to know it was'nt just me. I got one two Christmas' ago, and have never had nothing but trouble with it. I took it back once, got a replacement, and it wasnt any better. Spent $5 on the power cord, which helped a little. But I am going to take it back again, and get rid of it. Its just not worth the aggrevation. Stitches would not stay in for anything. So a couple weeks ago, I saw in a Sears Ad they had this little tiny machine that had 3 stitch lengths, has a real bobbin case and thread with its own power supply or can also run on batteries, and foot pedal 1/2 Price for $20!!!!! I was estatic.!!!

It called Sew D'lite Supreme, and its only about 10 inches tall and 8 inches wide, actually has a groove in the bottom for free arm, and a lite. What a deal, Very Small and portable. I remember when they first came out and Joanns had them in pink, blue, yellow and green. ITs sooo cute, and really works great. Well worth the $20, ( they also came in scooby doo and Barbie! LOL) I LOVE IT!!! and only had $5 more in it than the sew crafty mini. Watch your Sears ads or Joanns for that matter. Its almost as noisy as the sew crafty, but a real machine. Hope you can find one too. You will love it, mine is blue and white.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2005, 02:08 PM   #10  
Abbe-licious

janelle, I had to laugh when I heard you were hemming your jeans with it.

Lois, I may just check into that little machine you were talking about.

Tam, Sorry the machine was acting up on you. glad your cards turned out anyhow. I usually don't have a problem with mine, except for one time when the thread kept on breaking every time I sewed. I found that I had the machine threaded wrong. Sorry I can't be any more help than that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2005, 02:17 PM   #11  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate mine. I've used it maybe once or twice. I hate that the button that starts it gets stuck down in there and by the time I've managed to pop it back out to stop it, I've sewn way past where I meant to and usually crooked to boot. This thing is going in the garage sale. I thought it would be a way of letting customers do stitching at workshops and classes without having to risk using my big machine and having it get broken, but for now we just won't do any stitching! Luckily, I only paid $5 for mine with a coupon.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes