Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-30-2006, 04:32 AM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palapala
...I want it partcially for my hobby habit, but I don't want to be the only one making my monthly requirements...I actually got a little scared off after reading a thread about why people were quitting as demos. I want this to supplement my income without running around like a crazy women to get it accomplished!
I do just want to add a cautionary word here. I'm just finishing my my second year as an SU! demo and finally expect to show a profit this year. I showed a tax loss in both 2004 and 2005, but I also tried to get some of my big ticket expense items (pad families, marker set, etc.) into those years.
To answer pigfingers, July's policy changes primarily involve the levels at which additional commissions are earned. The standard discount remains available to all demos and there are no changes to quarterly minimums.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2006, 06:19 AM   #42  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, Stampin' Up! is rolling out a revised compensation plan this July. You have the potential to make up to 40 percent on your personal sales with additional income potential for those you recruit. It's a really awesome plan!
I'm diehard Stampin' Up! and am biased towards this company. They treat their demos extremely well and I am so impressed with the company. Still, I agree with another poster who said you should go with what your heart tells you. The more passionate you are about the products you sell the better you will do.
Good luck with your decision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2006, 07:13 AM   #43  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Isn't CTMH going more towards a "scrappers" based line? I thought they were leaning more towards that side? I could totally be wrong...
I demo SU. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. HUGE support system. Too many opportunities to earn free stuff!
But as with what the others already posted.....Demo what you like/love.
There are a ton of demos(whether it be SU!, TAC, or CTMH) who still order from competitors!!

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2006, 08:24 AM   #44  
Gabfest Goddess

After reading this entire thread I want to give my 2 cents. When I signed up to be a SU demo 5 years ago the main reason I did was to get a discount and support my habbit. My favorite thing about being a demo was that I could be a hostess anytime I wanted and receive the benefits. I have a very large downline and most of my demonstrators are in it to get their own discount and be their own hostesses. I just think that is a big bonus. I sometimes put in order of over $300 just for myself and if I could not receive benefits or had to give them away everytime it would just not be worth it. I have received thousands, yes thousands, of dollars in free merchandise over the past 5 years.

It sounds to me like you are going to start as a hobby demonstrator so this would be something very important to you. Honestly I am surprized that the other companies won't let you be your own hostess. Yes, it is fun doing a Hostess mystery once in a while but not when I am doing all the work and putting in my own orders. Just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I personally always want to have the person to person contact in my business. I think that once people can order off our websites that takes that away. I know some might disagree but speaking as someone who has been very successful with SU that is how I have made my way. In the workshop environment. People can call me anytime or e-mail me anytime with an order.

I am not bashing any of the other companies as we all have something great to contribute. You just need to do what is good for you. The minimums aren't that hard to achieve and you have the potential to receive 40% commission. Did I also mention that you get your discount even when you are your own Hostess?? It rocks!!

Good luck in your decision. It's a tough one to make. I for one am glad to have been blessed to have chosen SU 5 years ago. I started out as a hobby demo and it took off. I have since earned 7 all expense paid trips and 4 of those were with the Co-Founder of SU herself.

Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2006, 08:48 AM   #45  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

As a non-demo, observer. And listener. I do not think you could go wrong with SU. They are a wonderful company and have something for everyone.

It seems to be where the beginners start, and the more advanced stampers turn for products. Irregardless of your age or interests, family situations, there is something for you. You can not beat the color wheel and all the help with color combinations and matching inks, pencils, etc...

Recently saw the CTMH catalog, looked more scrapbooking to me, and much less varied stamp sets. The product line did not seem to lend itself to the diverse creativity, you see people have with the SU products. Just my 2 cents....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2006, 10:09 AM   #46  
Matboard Maniac

Default re: should I demo SU or CTMH?

I am a CTMH consultant now for three years. I was in an SU group for 6 years, so I am very familiar with their products and policies. I signed up with CTMH for three reasons: 1. I saw the market shifting majorly towards scrapbooking, and felt CTMH had a great scrapbooking how-to program called Reflections. SU didn't have anything like that. (This was in 2003) We now have 5 sections of the Reflections program, plus an amazing new book called Cherish which has brought my scrapbooking up 10 notches! lol 2. My upline was a fabulous source of information and motivation. (I know this has nothing to do with this thread, but it was a major factor in my decision.) 3. I loved the fact that CTMH had 60 colors of inkpads, papers, plus a huge selection of embellishments like eyelets, ribbon, waxy flax, beads, buttons, etc. to really help jazz up cards and layouts (that all matched)!

CTMH also has a great card-making program, something SU didn't have. (Please keep in mind these were MY reasons.) I love being able to open these how-to books, and create layouts and cards in just minutes, and no more wasting paper. I love the consultant service department that CTMH has. If I EVER have an issue with ANY product, I call them and they will replace anything no questions asked. If there is a defective product in an order, I print off a label, and send it off to the company for a totally free exchange. The only cost to me is an envelope, and I've started recycling the ones I get from the company. If I get a product, such as a stamp set or a pair of scissors, in my order that didn't belong, corporate lets me keep them, since it would be more expensive for me to ship them back. How cool is that?! CTMH also has great start -up plans for new consultants. Straight to the Top lets new recruits earn free product during their first year, based on sales levels. There is a new corporate program just for new consultants and their uplines, geared for the first 6 weeks of their start up. They also have a section on their website called "Gathering and Workshops on the Go", which is a wealth of information! You just go to that section, and the entire workshop is planned out. This includes full-color pictures of the projects, a breakdown of costs and necessary supplies for each person, cutting diagrams, step-by-step instructions on how to put the project together, plus three different levels of "experience" to choose from. These let a consultant go to this section, plan her gatherings based on the hostess' requests, the guests level of experience, and the products that are in the catalog. We also get to purchase bulk items at a significant discount, like patterned papers and embellishments.

Speaking of the catalog, CTMH switched to a tri-annual catalog last year, in order to keep current on scrapbooking and stamping trends. This allows us to show what's current, and hot, and in a much more convenient format. I no longer have to haul 10 or 15 two-pound catalogs around to gatherings, each costing me $5 (or more) each. I can literally give my catalogs away, since they are so cheap! All catalogs released in a calendar year are "active" until Dec. 31st of that year. So, if I am hosting a gathering in July, and someone wants to look at Winter stamps, I can show them the catalog that has winter stamps in it. Yes, we only get one catalog from corporate per year, but since they cost me less than $2 to purchase, it is very cheap.

Another great thing is the constant campaigns. CTMH has a different one every month to help us consultants with our sales. The current one is called COCOA CAFE, which is an amazing group of very cool patterned papers and ribbon. Customers can get these free with their orders, or purchase them outright for a minimal cost. We also have a stamp of the month, which really helps bump my sales. Many people who would only spend minimums in club will spend more if they like this stamp set. This may sound greedy or decieving, but I always let my customers make a cool 3-D item with this set. Then if they like it, it's their decision whether or not to buy it.

I don't like the idea of saying one company is far superior to the other, but several posts have given out misleading information, IMHO. Yes, it's true that there are more SU demos than CTMH (or TAC) consultants, but in my opinion, that means saturation. Yes, more people have heard of SU than CTMH or TAC, but that gives me a great opportunity to talk about this comany, which I LOVE! ;) I think this is a serious decision, and you should talk with several demos from different companies before you make this decision. What are your most important factors in choosing? Is it free products? The compensation plan? The referral program? Finding ideas? Getting help? The upline you will work with? The stamp designs? In the end, it's your life so you must pick what is best for you. When I chose CTMH over SU, I think I hurt a dear friend, but it was MY choice, and it has been the best decision for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2006, 10:31 AM   #47  
ch
Mad Swapper

I bought from CTMH for several years but about 4 years ago I got their new catty and couldn't find one stamp set I liked. I went to a SU club and couldn't believe all the things I loved! I signed up a couple of months later. I always try to keep current on both companies--as far as the images they sell. I poured over a CTMH spring catty and really was not impressed. So best advice--pour over BOTH cattys and sell for the CO that you love their art work! It is hard to sell if you don't like it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2006, 11:08 AM   #48  
Kookie Creator

I think you need to consider who and what it is you are planning to sell. I was mainly a scrapbooker and signed up as a CTMH consultant as I felt (and still feel) that their line of scrapbooking products are superior and they have more options (at a cheaper price) than SU. I also prefer the Acrylic stamps for placement rather than the rubber.

However, for stamping in general, and particularly cardmaking, I think SU is superior. The wheels are a great product (which CTMH does not have), and the stamp designs are generally better. I also like the fact that many of the stamp sets come with a sentiment making them immediately useful without having to purchase additional sentiment sets. Cardstock is available in 8.5 x 11 which is another advantage as it is cheaper and less wasteful. However CTMH has matching patterned papers in each of their colors which is something SU doesn't have.

In the end I let my CTMH consultancy lapse as I couldn't sell enough product. Nobody had heard of the company (although they are now doing much more advertising - cover of Creating Keepsakes for example - than they were when I was a consultant). Feedback was that the scrapbooking product was excellent but a little pricey. Stamp sets are cheaper than SU and retail because blocks aren't included. Tri-yearly catalog is not an advantage as catalogs have to be ordered in bulk meaning it actually costs more to place the 3 minimum orders than if there was 1 catalog. Also I have yet to see any trendy or groundbreaking products being introduced yet SU has some great stuff in the yearly catalog (Hodgepodge for example).

I am buying mostly SU product as there is no CTMH consultant in my area and I am friends with an SU demo. I am also considering becoming an SU demo down the road.

Marina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2006, 01:27 PM   #49  
Pearl-ExPert

So much great advice! I had to choose, myself, and went with SU! because I liked it more. It suited my needs more. I would suggest that maybe CTMH leans more towards scrapbooking and SU! toward cards? Obviously, they both can do any of it, but CTMH has a lot more scrapbooking kits and "things" than SU! does, but SU! has so many more stamps. I do wish SU! had all of the embellishments that CTMH has, and the ability to buy things in smaller bunches (ie. at SU! we have the whole Hodgepodge hardware thing to buy instead of the small little vials that CTMH has with the different embellishments in them). Anwyay, I would say not to worry if you choose SU! even though there are lots of demos in your area. Some might shy away because there are more of them then there are CTMH demos, but the SU! ladies could very well be a good source of support and inspiration to you. Sometimes I know SU! demos even team up to do things. Maybe some of what I said can help....
My Blog - it has moved
My Website

A candle loses nothing from lighting another candle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2006, 05:24 PM   #50  
Kookie Creator

Default Response to mariemc

Hi Marie
Just wanted to comment on the CTMH Vials. You have to buy a set in one colour with 6 jars (My Accents) or 100 eyelets of one colour, for example. This is an awful lot of embellishments in just one colour!

Personally I prefer the SU embellisments (such as buttons or eyelets) that come in a color family. This is much more useful to me and more economical as you get a smaller amount of a single color and so is less wasteful.

Just my 2 cents....
Marina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2006, 11:15 AM   #51  
Glitter Queen

Ok I am biased (CTMH consultant). I love the acrylic stamps. Space is a big deal for me and a great selling point for me as well. If you are a card maker go with SU but more a scrapbooker I think CTMH is best in that area. If you sign up for CTMH do it in June. They just announced a great sign up incentive. Free June, July and August stamp of the month to be included in your kit. Also weigh in on what you get for your kit and how much. Also how much is the catalogs and brocures as wella s the every day stuff such as order forms etc. If you have any questions please email me at [email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2006, 11:34 AM   #52  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palapala
I have been searching SCS all day, but just haven't found all the info I am looking for.

I love Stampin Up and I love Close To My Heart. DH actually asked (always been against before) if I want to be a Demo. Now I just need to decide which company. I have lots of SU demos in my area, but almost no CTMH. BUT SU seems to sell better. I love SU matching colors and accessories, but love the # of colors and ink pads from CTMH. So confusing!

I'd like to hear from both SU and CTMH demos about what you like best about the company you are with. I want it partcially for my hobby habit, but I don't want to be the only one making my monthly requirements.

I actually got a little scared off after reading a thread about why people were quitting as demos. I want this to supplement my income without running around like a crazy women to get it accomplished!

Thanks for your advice in advance. I love this site and how helpful you all are.
Just wondering if you have came to a decision? (I'm still thinking things thru as was when you first started this thread.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2006, 11:49 AM   #53  
Glitter Guru

The bottom line is to go with the company that you feel is the most geared towards your style and needs! Both companies offer consultant sign-up incentives at various times throughout the year so with that said, do what you feel most comfortable with

�So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.�
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2006, 12:05 PM   #54  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Go with SU! I'm not a demo for either company and have bought from both. I'm going to be an SU demo sometime this summer. They have a lot more stamps to choose from. Yes, you can see though the acryic stamps, but you don't get a nice crisp image ... This is all just my own opionion, of course!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2006, 12:49 PM   #55  
Mad Swapper

I was wondering if anyone could tell me, does your quarterly order have to be all at once or is it cumulative?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2006, 12:50 PM   #56  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by canben
I was wondering if anyone could tell me, does your quarterly order have to be all at once or is it cumulative?
SU!'s quarter is cumulative.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2006, 01:01 PM   #57  
Glitter Guru

CTMH's is cumulative as well

�So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.�
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2006, 03:48 PM   #58  
Polyshrink Goddess

Renee....if you're not getting a crisp image, you may be pushing too hard. I just had a gal leave here, who came over to learn about the CTMH products. She's only used wood mount and started to push as hard on the acrylic as she would the wood. She was amazed when I showed her what a light touch it takes with the acrylic. She left loving the stamps. We worked with the kind of stamps where you lay down the base image, and then the top image over it and she had never tried those before because she didn't think she could line up the wood. She loves it in the acrylic.

Suz
CTMH Director
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2006, 05:26 PM   #59  
Stazon Splitcoast

OMG, what a fun thread!! I tell ya what, if I could I'd join ALL of the companies, lol.....you guys have all made fantastic observations.

I will not add my opinion on which company to go with because I think they're all good. What I WOULD like to point out is that nothing is written in stone. If you go one way and find out it's not for you, you haven't made a lifetime commitment, kwim? (PARTICULARLY if you do it wisely and don't give in to temptation to go hogwild on early purchases on things you don't really "need" yet!)

I really like CTMH and SU. I've seen both companies exhibit, uh, unfortunate business styles in the past, so I don't think one is any "better" than the other.

When it came down to it, I went with SU because my upline is a member of my stamp club (not an SU club, just a monthly card swap club), and because I had several SU sets and supplies to start with.

Would I make the same choice today? I honestly don't know, lol. Like I said, I have no input on which way you should choose. I really think you'll do well whichever way you go, if you love to stamp and want to share your enjoyment and talent.

After all this, I just really, really want to say I hope to shout you come back and LET US KNOW what you choose, lol......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2006, 07:38 PM   #60  
Mad Swapper

Well... I am no closer to an answer!! I'm one of "those" people who have to read an entire menu just to order a regular favorite.

I am really taking my time and deciding what I like/dislike about each. I really love both but...

I did decide to wait until after the new SU catty comes out in July. Until then, I'm sure I'll keep wavering back and forth.

I so appreciate all the insight and help from all of you. I'll be sure to let you know what I decide and when. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2006, 08:22 PM   #61  
Mad Swapper

I would totally consider the saturation of the market factor. Here are there so many SU demos that you could never make much at it. On the other hand there are few TAC and CTMH demos and they make good money because the customer base is more concentrated for them. There are some people who have become bored with SU or it is not their style. I also think that the other companies work better in a lower income area. SU started out to be a real deal but now they are as or mor expensive than pre-mounted stamps. Still I prefer SU design, but the other companies have some really interesting things at cheaper prices that might just bring you some customers. It comes down to your goal. If it is about making money, go with the company that will bring you the most customers. If it is about getting a discount for yourself, go with the company that appeals most artistically to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2006, 05:38 AM   #62  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by prchvs
Go with SU! I'm not a demo for either company and have bought from both. I'm going to be an SU demo sometime this summer. They have a lot more stamps to choose from. Yes, you can see though the acryic stamps, but you don't get a nice crisp image ... This is all just my own opionion, of course!
I used to have trouble with getting crisp images from my CTMH stamps too, then my demo showed me how to put the foam pad under my cardstock and stamp and now I get the most beautiful images...just like rubbbah!!!:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2006, 06:57 AM   #63  
Glitter Queen

There is so much great information here. I too am strongly considering becoming a demo. All of my stamps and products are SU. I have only ever seen a few CTMH stamps. So after listening to this advice, I will probably go with SU. However, when I hear all the demos talk about not turning a profit, my question is this: Is it costing you more money now that you are a demo than before you became one?? I know my DH will not like that idea. I want to get into it just so I don't have to pay for my now very expensive hobby out of the budget. (DAVE RAMSEY and DH would not like that!!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2006, 07:05 AM   #64  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzastampin
Renee....if you're not getting a crisp image, you may be pushing too hard. I just had a gal leave here, who came over to learn about the CTMH products. She's only used wood mount and started to push as hard on the acrylic as she would the wood. She was amazed when I showed her what a light touch it takes with the acrylic. She left loving the stamps. We worked with the kind of stamps where you lay down the base image, and then the top image over it and she had never tried those before because she didn't think she could line up the wood. She loves it in the acrylic.

Suz
CTMH Director
Thanks! I will totally try that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2006, 07:17 AM   #65  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by golf4grace
There is so much great information here. I too am strongly considering becoming a demo. All of my stamps and products are SU. I have only ever seen a few CTMH stamps. So after listening to this advice, I will probably go with SU. However, when I hear all the demos talk about not turning a profit, my question is this: Is it costing you more money now that you are a demo than before you became one?? I know my DH will not like that idea. I want to get into it just so I don't have to pay for my now very expensive hobby out of the budget. (DAVE RAMSEY and DH would not like that!!)
It took me almost a year to turn a profit. This is mostly because it took time to build a customer base, start up workshops and clubs. I have been a CTMH consultant for a little over 2 years, but only a stamper and scrapper for 2 1/2 years. So, my lack of turning a profit was because I had no supplies.

When I started I put all of my commissions into purchasing supplies and that seemed to work great, so I think that for some becoming a consultant can feed the habit

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2006, 08:31 AM   #66  
Embossing Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to KymmKent

Barbara,
Have you signed up. what have you decided?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2006, 12:28 PM   #67  
Polyshrink Goddess

Kate is right...it takes time to build a business, so, you will not turn a profit right off the bat. You need to purchase supplies, which, of course, are tax deductible and unless you have a core group of friends who will get you started, it will take time to build a client base. As the saying goes, it takes money to make money..and that's so true. Don't let that discourage you tho. For the first couple of years you will have a tax right offs that will offset the expenses. Each year my business has grown. I'm having an amazing 2006 in comparison to 2005, which was much better than 2004...you get the idea
If it's something you want to do, go for it! What are you out but the cost of the kit and supplies, and those are something you will use anyway.

Suz
CTMH Director
http://www.suzastampin.myctmh.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2006, 12:29 PM   #68  
Polyshrink Goddess

You're welcome, Renee!

Suz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2006, 12:40 PM   #69  
Kookie Creator

If you are a stamp person, I would lean toward SU.... they have a wider variety and seem to be more geared to stamping. If you are more driven to scrapbooking, CTMH seems to be the way to go. I am a SU demo, but I do buy from a CTMH consultant when I need specific scrapbook supplies. I was asked recently why I chose one over the other... and it was because I prefer card making.... I'm not as comfortable with scrapbooking and love cards. She was the opposite, she was uncomfortable with cards but loved sitting down and making scrapbooks for everything. I think the companies have been smart, dabbling in both areas, but sticking to one or the other to draw in different kinds of people.
I think that if you look at the business aspect, there are a few differences, but probably pretty much the same type of deal. I had problems with the crispness of CTMH stamps, so I went with SU as a demo.... my wedding album is a mix (yikes!! no flames!!!) CTMH paper and a few inks with SU accessories and stamped images.
Go with what you love... some may disagree.... but there's no law stating you may not buy from another company.... SU doesn't have the scrapbooking options that CTMH does... CTMH doesn't have the variety of stamps that SU has.... go with what you prefer, and if you want something from the other company, buy it.
Reply With Quote Likes