Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-03-2005, 01:57 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shrinky Dinks

Does anyone have tips about using shrinky dinks?

Like which kind you use? what do you use on them? How do you keep then from curling so much in the oven that it sticks to itself? And any website with free downloadable shapes or graphics.

TIA,
Kate
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2005, 02:29 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Like which kind you use?
?? I just bought mine at a Local craft store.
What do you use on them?You need to use Stazon ink. and a lot of them need to be sanded with a fine grit before stamped on and colored in. I find it easier to stamp the back with the Stazon ink and then flip over and color the sanded side. (If that makes sense) I found when I stamped the sanded side the ink ran into the sanding lines.
I have never had them curl over on themselves I think if you're just patient and don't panic they will uncurl. I have heard of people squishing them with a flat bottomed glass to make them super flat right after they come out of the oven...I've never needed to do this.
HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2005, 04:51 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

I have no idea if this works or not but I think it was Carol Duvall, someone recommended rubbing talc powder over the plastic to keep it from curling. Does anyone know if this works??

Laura
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2005, 05:39 PM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That would most likely help keep it from sticking when it does curl.

You can also shrink them with your heat tool. I just got mine at Michael's, there are in with the stamps. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2005, 05:53 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Heat Gun em'

I use Shrink Plastic a lot... ever since I was a little girl and they use to come in a cereal box. My brothers and I would fight over them, but I usually won because I'm the youngest, and only girl.

Anyhoo, I digress.... I use my heat gun as well and it works great. Just remember to keep the tool moving. I use a cardboard box lid so I don't completely melt my work area.

Good Luck... and have fun!! And just remember.. Sometimes the biggest mistakes are the best surprises!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2005, 06:53 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

We (the kids and I)have been having fun doing shrink art this week. So far we have only had 1 curl and stick to itself (out of 50-75). I die cut it with my sizzix machine and let the kids color them in with colored sharpies. They turned out really neat. We are going to use some of them for christmas necklaces, Charm pencils (inspired by the ones in JulieHRR's gallery) and wine charms. Have fun with them....they're addicting!!!!
Cheryl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2005, 06:54 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Is that a pic of you coloring or perming your hair? OMG that is too funny if it is! You've got a great sense of humor!

Happy Holidays!
Check out my Scooby photoshow!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2005, 09:55 AM   #8  
Diversified Multicultural Postmodern Deconstructionist Philogian

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lauraos
I have no idea if this works or not but I think it was Carol Duvall, someone recommended rubbing talc powder over the plastic to keep it from curling. Does anyone know if this works??

Laura
Was it talc? I thought it was cornstarch.

Rainsong
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2005, 11:06 AM   #9  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heather_M
Like which kind you use?
?? I just bought mine at a Local craft store.
What do you use on them?You need to use Stazon ink. and a lot of them need to be sanded with a fine grit before stamped on and colored in. I find it easier to stamp the back with the Stazon ink and then flip over and color the sanded side. (If that makes sense) I found when I stamped the sanded side the ink ran into the sanding lines.
I have never had them curl over on themselves I think if you're just patient and don't panic they will uncurl. I have heard of people squishing them with a flat bottomed glass to make them super flat right after they come out of the oven...I've never needed to do this.
HTH
I think what she says is most true- be patient, they WILL curl up, and wait it out, they will then flatten out.
You can also use your pastels to color them in. Just remember that anycolor intensifies after baking.
I use my punches on them also, the flower makes great little flowers when there done.
Punch an 1/8 hole, then punch the flower shape centered to it, then bake. Adhere to your card with brads, adorable! There may be a card with them in my gallery.
Luckysquirrel- who used to supply us with poly shrink has a lot of info on their site.
http://www.luckysquirrel.com/
Good luck!

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2005, 12:04 PM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by kate2kate
Does anyone have tips about using shrinky dinks?

Like which kind you use? what do you use on them? How do you keep then from curling so much in the oven that it sticks to itself? And any website with free downloadable shapes or graphics.

TIA,
Kate
Hi Kate,
There are some great books out there on the subject. One is Shrink 101 from Design Originals. I was published in this issue for a technique that puts foil on the plastic. But this is advanced so first things first. You don't have to use only Stazon. ( while this is one of my favorite inks ) You can use any permanent dye ink. The ones I have used and had success at are ancient page and archival ink by Ranger. Sanding is helpful when you want a look that is not glass like because sanding is abrasive and results in a sea glass frosty look. Whick is great for some things. I like clearer, see through for the faces or detail portraits. Use "Poly Shrink". Quality is the best. Be Patient with the process in the toaster oven it will usually straighten out. Use a oven thermometer as directed on the package. You may reheat your piece after it is done with a heat tool and use a piece of acrylic to flatten your piece. You must be willing to suffer some loss sometimes though.It is just part of the experience and sometimes when you are least expecting it your mistake might be a great thing. Be Patient, but the right tools are essential.
Sherri B.
Reply With Quote Likes