Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-08-2008, 08:08 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spray Adhesive

Hello

We are making books for Christmas gifts that are made of Mat Board. We are attaching decorative paper/cardstock to the covers.

Has anyone used spray adhesive for this type of thing?

We are making about 150 books and it would be quick but I need to make sure that it holds up over time. (The sample seemed to stick better than anything else we have tried!)

If not, any other suggestions of things that you have used and had good success with?

THANKS!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2008, 08:40 AM   #2  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I use it all the time for altered tins etc and think it's wonderful!!! I use a "spray box" which is a box with one side cut out then spray doesn't get everywhere. I use this right on my deck so I can easily come in and stick the paper on. You have to adhere it right away to get the best long term result, if it dries for a long time, it is only a temporary adhesive.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2008, 08:42 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yes, yes, yes!

This is *ABSOLUTELY* the way to do it!

I use matte board (leftovers from the framing dept at Joann's). I pre-cut the paper to about 1/16" larger on each side, spray the matte board, then place the paper immediately and weight it down for about 5 minutes (if you don't weight it down, any air bubbles in the middle will migrate to the edges and prevent bonding.

I have been doing this for about 3 years for both my License Plate Album backs and coffee filter albums. Not only is the bond quick and easy, it holds up over time and once dry, I can even sand the edges and they don't peel or curl.

The brand that I use (and *highly recommend*!) is Krylon Spray Adhesive - All Purpose 7011. I get it at my LSBS, but I've also seen it at all of the big-box stores.

Good luck! Post or PM me with any specific questions you have - I'd be happy to answer! ~ kbc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2008, 08:47 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbirusView Post
...I use a "spray box" which is a box with one side cut out then spray doesn't get everywhere...
I've even done this right in my house. Granted, I do use a pretty large box and I wouldn't care if my carpeting got ruined (further, that is!) but it hasn't ever been a problem yet. I don't even open a window.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbirusView Post
...You have to adhere it right away to get the best long term result, if it dries for a long time, it is only a temporary adhesive...
Absolutely right! Adhere immediately.

Glad to hear this works well on metal tins, too. I have a large collection of tins that I'm "planning" to do this to...just haven't gotten around to it yet. ~ kbc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2008, 10:56 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Kaylyn, I would NEVER tell you what to do, lol...too chicken for that! I have to say, though, that if you're doing a lot of projects with spray adhesive, you'd be so much better off by using a mask and/or spraying out in the garage. Even if you're just doing one project, any little bit of the spray that gets in your lungs stays there for a very long time. (This according to my pulmonologist aka the asthma doc.)

I worry about you, lol! An ounce of prevention, yada yada yada....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2008, 11:49 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

The new Spray Tacky works great too. I have not tried it on anything going to metal yet, but on chipboard/paper, it's great.

Krylon has always been one of the top spray bonders so is Elmer's Craft Bond Spray. I would use any of them on your projects.

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2008, 12:28 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychkimView Post
Hello

We are making books for Christmas gifts that are made of Mat Board. We are attaching decorative paper/cardstock to the covers.

Has anyone used spray adhesive for this type of thing?

We are making about 150 books and it would be quick but I need to make sure that it holds up over time. (The sample seemed to stick better than anything else we have tried!)

If not, any other suggestions of things that you have used and had good success with?

THANKS!
To ensure the bond is permanent, burnish the top layer (the decorative paper or cardstock)
immediately.

Much as I love Krylon spray products, I can't use any of them. The propellant they use in their spray cans instantly puts me into a wheezing, sneezing fit. If you have any breathing problems or allergies, you might want to use another brand (Scotch is one that doesn't bother me).

Last edited by craftdesigns; 06-08-2008 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2008, 07:17 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

WOW...you are all wonderful!!! Thanks so much for all of the great thoughts and ideas. I just LOVE this site and all of the wonderful people that offer support.

Guess we will be purchasing alot of Spray Adhesive!

Thanks again
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2008, 07:19 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage RedheadView Post
This is *ABSOLUTELY* the way to do it!

I use matte board (leftovers from the framing dept at Joann's). I pre-cut the paper to about 1/16" larger on each side, spray the matte board, then place the paper immediately and weight it down for about 5 minutes (if you don't weight it down, any air bubbles in the middle will migrate to the edges and prevent bonding.

I have been doing this for about 3 years for both my License Plate Album backs and coffee filter albums. Not only is the bond quick and easy, it holds up over time and once dry, I can even sand the edges and they don't peel or curl.

The brand that I use (and *highly recommend*!) is Krylon Spray Adhesive - All Purpose 7011. I get it at my LSBS, but I've also seen it at all of the big-box stores.

Good luck! Post or PM me with any specific questions you have - I'd be happy to answer! ~ kbc
Do you use scissors to cut off the extra paper once the adhesive dries or do you use like an Xacto Knife?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2008, 12:11 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
Kaylyn, I would NEVER tell you what to do, lol...too chicken for that!...
BWAAHAAAHAAA!!! Think you could teach my husband that trick?? :cool:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
I worry about you, lol! An ounce of prevention, yada yada yada.
Thank you - I do appreciate it! I haven't sprayed very often lately. The last time, it actually was outside because I just didn't have the room in my basement.

Perhaps the fumes explain a lot, though! :mrgreen: ~ kbc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2008, 12:15 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychkimView Post
Do you use scissors to cut off the extra paper once the adhesive dries or do you use like an Xacto Knife?
X-acto-ly! (Sorry...couldn't help myself...;) )

Yes, I do use the Xacto to go around and trim the edges. If you are adhering paper to adjoining sides (e.g. top / bottom; corners; angles, etc.) you may want to adhere one piece at a time, trim it, adhere the next piece. Reason is that you'll get a much better trim if you're not trying to "...fight the layers...". Clear as mud?? LMK... ~ kbc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2008, 12:20 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftdesignsView Post
To ensure the bond is permanent, burnish the top layer (the decorative paper or cardstock)
immediately.

Much as I love Krylon spray products, I can't use any of them. The propellant they use in their spray cans instantly puts me into a wheezing, sneezing fit. If you have any breathing problems or allergies, you might want to use another brand (Scotch is one that doesn't bother me).
I don't have asthma, but I seem to be very sensitive to the fumes; headaches, feel sick, etc. :(

So, I use Xyron adhesive instead. It works spiffy, if you're sensitive to fumes and wanna avoid 'em.:-D
Reply With Quote Likes