Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-15-2005, 09:45 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stamp camps/open houses

I am a new demo and I have some customers asking me to hold a night where they can come and use my stamps and do scrapbooking. Can someone please explain to me how to do this in a beneficial way. I am pretty anal about my stamps and am not crazy about people using my ink pads, etc. Please explain how to do a stamp camp vs an open house. Thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 09:55 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Lovin, I am not a demo, but I do know one thing you have to get over and that is being "anal" about your pads. Do your best to protect them, i.e., put "matching" sponges with the pads they're used with, state your "rules about multi-pad stamping," etc., but if you want to sell anything, you can't be "anal." IMHO I've been to many stamp camps and had lots of fun.

Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 10:16 AM   #3  
Failed Lurker

If you varnish the wood on your stamps with clear wood varnish, it does prevent them getting stained, but ink pads WILL be ruined - everybody makes mistakes sometimes, especially excited stampers! You could be really strict with them, but they'll have more fun and maybe spend more if you relax
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 10:26 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I too, can be 'anal' about my stuff, but if you are going to be a demo, especially one that is going to try and make a little money to supplement your habit, you have to let go. I had a group of 3 people over Saturday night, and one of my spectrum pads got messed up...I'm looking into whether or not it can be saved, but I'm thinking not...I've just chalked it up to 'stuff happens' If anything I'll eventually invest in a relpacement Spectrum pad, and use the one that got messed up at my stamp camps/workshops and keep the good one for my own use...Now if I could only buy 2 of everything!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 10:42 AM   #5  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I too am a new demo and picky about my things but I think it is something we have to get over if we are going to run a business. I started a card club where people pay me a 10.00 fee to use all of my supplies and make cards once a month. I encourage them to buy the SU birthday calendar to keep track of important dates and to use that to make cards they'd need the following month. I use the fee to restock my paper and other needed supplies. I also try to submit enough to qualify as my host to get the benefits which I in turn use to restock my supplies. I also will credit them their fee if they place a 25.00+ order that night. It all helps me in maintaining my minimums. Just be sure to go over proper care and use of your pads and supervise the evening. Or if you have specific projects you have planned only bring out a few supplies at a time. Your willingness to share you time, talent and supplies will go far in building up a customer base.

Join us in Buffalo on 4/28/12
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 11:11 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

My awesome Demo sets up stations at her house in her dining room and kitchen area. Each station has a different project and just the supplies needed for that project are at that station. Occassionally someone does mess up a stamp pad, but she always seems to have a way to fix it. I know one night we accidentally turned one of her spectrum pads into an army green disaster. We apologized over and over, but she said too that it is part of the business. She does charge a fee for "stamp camp", and some of us do place orders. She will credit the fee to orders over a certain amount. It is a great way to generate some sales for yourself and have a fun night of stamping! HTH.
LaurieR
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 11:11 AM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

If you want to stay anal, you'll have to buy two of everything! I was anal at the begining, and then one of my daughter's 6 year old friends was playing at our house and somehow found my versamark pad, my basic black pad, and a stamp. Needless to say I was upset at first, but then realized that those things happen!

Usually customers/guests are pretty repectful and feel genuinely sorry if they mess up. It's a great teaching moment to show how you can blot a wrong color out of a stamp pad and then re-ink it with the right color, or sand off the wood of a stamp to remove some ink. Just don't ever do what I did: teach stamping to a bunch of 4th and 5th graders! Ithe girls were fine but some of the boys had no respect whatsoever! I thought they were going to roll my wheel right through the table!

Good Luck! -ann marie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 11:13 AM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Tracy, $10! :shock: The most I've paid was $5 and it was credited for orders over $25. Average is $2. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 11:20 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

My demo has Stamp Camps and Open Stamping Night. For stamp camps, she always has projects picked out ahead of time. It costs $5.00 to go. On open stamping night, you can go and use any of her non consumables (stamps, scissors, punches). You have to bring your own paper and ink.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 11:31 AM   #10  
Crimping Master

I've held several mini stamp camps at my house. I usually charge no more than $5, but it really depends on what projects I have planned. If we do something like stamp on candles or the stampable mugs, then either they do less or the fee is more. I usually charge just to cover the cost of the projects. When I do a big stamp camp after the new catalog comes out, the fee is a little higher. But, that will include a new catalog, the current (or upcoming) mini, samples of ribbons/eyelets/etc and the cost of the projects. I also have a little extra at the end to use to replace my stamp pads/markers that get ruined. Last year I even had a stamp set that was messed up pretty bad, but still usable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 11:59 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Wow, I was reading this string and realized.... I charge too much!! Then, I l noticed that I live in an area that most places charge about $35.00 per class. I also do Stamp Camps at my home and sometimes at work. On an average night... about 10 people. I charge $15.00 and have 4 prepared projects to do. I try to vary my techniques and type of projects...ie; card, scrap page or 2 6x6's and maybe a favor box or something else. I use incentive stamps as a gift if they bring a friend. I also do a raffle for stamp sets or other goodies and I keep the projects they bring in to raffle!! Great way to get free swaps. I like to charge for my time too... I guess that's why I do $15.00. No one has complained.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 12:01 PM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Oh, I almost forgot... most of the time... I get good sales too!! I think the enthusiasm you show on that evening and how you present your tools and techniques is what most people remember. It's catchy and I've noticed.. If I demo it...they will buy. Try it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 12:52 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have always paid at least $10-15 with no credit given for an order. It usually included 4 projects, mostly cards and maybe a post it holder or a gift bag. Please try to not be anal. I just dumped a demo because of that, so now I'm without. She treated us all like little children and blew if someone messed up an ink pad. It doesn't happen on purpose, I feel bad that it happens to them, but it happens. I agree with the others, set up stations so ink pads don't have to travel (no yellow and black together if possible) Instruct people to tell you if the messed up, at least a baby wipe can save some of the ink pads before it is too late. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 01:05 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

I attended a stamp camp that my upline put together. We made 12 (yes 12!) cards and we also received a 'calendar' to put the cards in. There was a pocket for each month and an extra pocket in the back to put all the cards in. She charged $20 - and I think that was MORE than fair!

Wendy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 01:32 PM   #15  
Glitter Queen

I teach monthly 6x6 scrapbook classes and charge $20.00 per class. They make 8 pages, 4 themes paired up. I teach them monthly techniques, but they put their own pictures in it instead of instructions. I have a packaged set for about a $100.00 with sheets of all the colors of paper we used and a stamp set, 2 yards of different ribbons, and at least 2 supplies that were used in the class. The person that orders the most each month wins this prize. I have had anywhere from 8-15 people each month and no one has complained. I feel for all the items they do in class, the cost pays for the products. Then I have a card class every few months for the customers who aren't interested in scrapbooks. The cost depends on how many cards they are making.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 01:33 PM   #16  
Glitter Queen

I teach monthly 6x6 scrapbook classes and charge $20.00 per class. They make 8 pages, 4 themes paired up. I teach them monthly techniques, but they put their own pictures in it instead of instructions. I have a packaged set for about a $100.00 with sheets of all the colors of paper we used and a stamp set, 2 yards of different ribbons, and at least 2 supplies that were used in the class. The person that orders the most each month wins this prize. I have had anywhere from 8-15 people each month and no one has complained. I feel for all the items they do in class, the cost pays for the products. Then I have a card class every few months for the customers who aren't interested in scrapbooks. The cost depends on how many cards they are making.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 02:05 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

I have no idea how any demo could charge $2 for a class. I usually charge $5 for a simple workshop, 4 cards and not much on embelishments. If i do more than that or if I have a lot of embelishments I charge $10. If I do a new technique, I charge the $10. For example... if I wanted to do pearl ex powders... well, first of all I have to buy the pearl ex powders, maybe some lumiere and the stipple brushes. I need to be able to cover that cost.

When I started i was very anal about my stamps... not my pads though. I've had people accidentally stamp in the wrong pad (even with black) I just grab a baby wipe and wipe it out. It's never ruined a pad yet. I let a freind borrow a set and she returned it and there was ink all over the wood. I swore I would never let anyone borrow again. BUT... guess what, I do. Ink on your wood does not affect the image and that's what's important. I just take extra time to educate people on how NOT to get the ink on the wood. Like... NOT ROCKING the stamps. It's amazing. It works. I also say enough times... in a loving way... clean the stamp before you go to the next color. I say that at each workshop even for my old-timers. It just reinforces it and i doubt anyone thinks I'm mean about it.

Don't undercharge! You will end up spending more and not be able to keep your business going.

Mother of three wonderful children (Brayton-17 months, Brianna- 5 & Kyle-eight) and one grown man (my DH).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 04:45 PM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

Default New Demo

I'm a new Demo and it all sounds great. I'm not anal, but I am not starting out with alot and believe it or not. I became a Demo after the first stampin party I've ever gone to. So, I know I have to keep it simple, but I want the cards to be great. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 04:56 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

crolies:

I suggest finding a an idea that's versatile...give them the idea that 'wow, I can do that!' I had a stamp camp in my home 2 weeks after I rec'd my starter kit, the day before Valentine's day, we did 4 projects, a glass vase which we heat embossed on, a candy purse, check out luvnailart's gallery, I cased them from her, a card using the watercolor pencils and blender pens (I must have sold 5 sets that day) and we made 'personalized' labels for hershey nuggets candies using the wheel (sold 5 or 6 of those too) Always keep it easy enough for them to do, but remember versatile is important too!!! Good luck to you!

by the way I charged $10 per person, and credited them if they placed an order of $50.00 or more, same as my upline did...no questions asked...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 05:32 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

My upline is anal. I won't use her stamps or pads or anything for fear that I might stain her rubber or maybe even a wooden block if the stampin' scrub gets too dirty. It drives me crazy and I don't enjoy my hobby.

In my opinion, stamps are meant to be used and thus covered in ink. Being stained does not, in any way, "ruin" the stamps. Sure, they may not look as pretty, but the relaxation factor from not worrying about it is worth it. As long as they're scrubbed clean, I'm happy.

I charge $5 for a daytime crop and that's for everything I have minus conumables (paper and adhesives). Most of that goes toward food so no one minds too much.

I charge $7 for the midnight crop and hold it the same way. Most of the girls eat dinner and have more than 1 Starbucks quality coffee drink so the $7 is worth it!

When I do a stamp camp, I charge based on the supplies, but lately, I've been doing themed camps. Like a punch camp where it costs $15 but includes the $13.95 paper piecing punch (they actually SAVE that way). Then I offer a 10% discount on any additional punches purchased or maybe free shipping with an order that day or something.

I don't do my events as a money maker. I do them to promote an interest in SU and scrapbooking and maybe I'll get a booking or an addict out of it. But I make sure I won't lose anything on them too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 05:39 PM   #21  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Demos on this thread...have you joined the Demo Only Forum here at SCS? There is always lots of discussion and advice available on stuff like stamp camps, open houses and workshops. If you haven't joined yet just go to the Home Page and click on "Join User Group" and follow the instructions from there. Britta (camsmom) will get you approved usually in a day or two. HTH!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 08:04 AM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

Default Cost of workshop

Ladies, calm down. $2 - $5 is what we get charged for very simple workshops. I don't think we've ever made more than 2 cards. I'd gladly pay more for longer workshops or to make more cards. Sounds like ya'll are really having more fun. Can I come to your workshops? Ten cards! Whoohoo!.

Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 07:34 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Stamp Camps

Our church rents to a SU! demo that travels nearly 400 miles 4 times a year to come to our area for Stamp Camps. She is a wonderful gal and her prices are very reasonable. She charges $5.00 to attend and $1.50 for most projects (some are a little more - $2.00 or so, depending on the supplies used). The average number of projects is about 30 - from cards, to bookmarks/tags, to home decor. Her hours are 8:00 am - 6:00 pm and you can stay as long as you like. She supplies a light lunch and holds doorprize drawings every hour or two. She also brings retired SU! sets and sometimes stamps from other companies (this last time, she had 3 or 4 sets each of the sale-a-bration sets), large sheets of handmade paper, elaborate fibres, etc to sell. And she gives out the little incentive stamps and/or cello bags of pretty scraps just for coming.

We love coming to her Camps and I KNOW she always leaves with several hundreds of $$ in orders. I plan to sign up on April 1st as well and I would like to have an open house a few times a year at my home, but there's no way I could come close to what this out-of-town lady does :shock: !!

kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2005, 04:38 AM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

Wow! Hey, Kim, do you think your demo would drive to Florida?

Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2005, 06:11 AM   #25  
Crimping Master

When I hold an open house... there may just be one make-n-take. A workshop is usually 4 cards and is 5 bucks. Nothing fancy, but fun cards. A stamp camp I will have anywhere from 5-20 cards and it is priced accordingly. The least I ever charge is $10. the most I've charged (so far) is $20 and we did 10 simple cards no frill. I also have stampers club. LOVE THAT. It is ideal to have at least 6 ladies. They each come, make four cards (or whatever) and there is no fee. BUT they are required to spend a minimum of $25. 6 x $25 is $150. We meet monthly and they commit to at least 6 months. They take turns each month and one will get the hostess benefits for that month. It works great. You could have 5 spening $35, 8 spending $20, 10 spending $15 - whatever you like. I like the idea of $25.

10 @ $15 vs. 6 @ $25

Both classes you are going to have $150 in orders. So your commission will be the same.

BUT --- on the 1st you have to cut paper for 10 people so you are eating your profit up in supplies.

Again... BUT --- do you want 10 stamping buddies or 6

If you are just trying to make your minimum each month and can get 10 gals to pay the $15 but can't find the 6 that will pay $25....

Which is better for you?

Also, I am getting ready to do a technique class or just plain beginners classes. I will charge $10 for those. The number of projects depends on the techniques and such.

Mother of three wonderful children (Brayton-17 months, Brianna- 5 & Kyle-eight) and one grown man (my DH).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2005, 08:21 PM   #26  
Inking Addict

Default SU! Demo Forum

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jami
Demos on this thread...have you joined the Demo Only Forum here at SCS? There is always lots of discussion and advice available on stuff like stamp camps, open houses and workshops. If you haven't joined yet just go to the Home Page and click on "Join User Group" and follow the instructions from there. Britta (camsmom) will get you approved usually in a day or two. HTH!

I have tried to join this group, but it is closed to new members.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2005, 08:34 PM   #27  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: SU! Demo Forum

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinStacey
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jami

I have tried to join this group, but it is closed to new members.
The demo only forum is not closed to new members. If you are having trouble getting in you should PM Britta - her user name is camsmom. HTH.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2005, 10:39 PM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin4sandra
Wow, I was reading this string and realized.... I charge too much!! Then, I l noticed that I live in an area that most places charge about $35.00 per class. I also do Stamp Camps at my home and sometimes at work. On an average night... about 10 people. I charge $15.00 and have 4 prepared projects to do. I try to vary my techniques and type of projects...ie; card, scrap page or 2 6x6's and maybe a favor box or something else. I use incentive stamps as a gift if they bring a friend. I also do a raffle for stamp sets or other goodies and I keep the projects they bring in to raffle!! Great way to get free swaps. I like to charge for my time too... I guess that's why I do $15.00. No one has complained.
I attended my very first Stamp Camp yesterday. My demo charged $25.00, with no credit on orders. There were two organized projects, (both of which could have been done at home easily), and we couldn't use any of our demo's supplies, including stamps. I thought this must be the way most people do this. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2005, 04:40 AM   #29  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stacey please check your PMs and e-mail about the group being "closed" (I sent you 2 maessages last night about it ).

That term just means that you need approval to join but there is no cap or limit as to the number of Stampin Up demos that can join. If anyone else who is an SU demo wished to join, all you have to do is go to usergroups and apply. THEN keep checking your PMs (where it says you have ___ messages) for further directions.

If you are confused you may PM me or e-mail me at [email protected]

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2005, 05:34 AM   #30  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OOPS- there must be a little glitch! It does say locked-I am sorry! :oops:

If you are a demo send me a PM and I will help get you set up in the demos section, or you can e-mail me at [email protected]

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2005, 11:00 AM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

Post My Workshops

I hold workshops in my home once a month for my customers and there friends so they can learn new techniques see what is new and just to get together for a fun evening. My very first one I held I was very stressed about others using my stamps and inks but once I explained how to keep inks and stamps cleaned everything went just wonderful. I love having workshops in my house once a month. I dont charge anything for them, I do have catalogs setting out and my customers usely order enough stuff that I qualify for a hostess party. I like it because I can get hostess stamps and free items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2005, 02:43 PM   #32  
Glitter Guru

I am not a Demo, although I have probably spent enough that I should have been one from the minute I went to my first stamp camp... but anyway, from a customer point of view & a member of 2 stamp clubs, here is my experience... My SU demo holds a 'Camp' about every other friday night, 7:30 til midnight, with light refreshments - usually some yummy chocolate thingie & chips & dip w/ wine & sodas (you get the idea), she charges $10 & allows to make upto 10 cards, using all her supplies- she likes for us to bring our own adhesive (after the first camp, thou). I generally never make 10 cards, because I don't do well making multiples & it takes time to come up with unique cards, plus I love playing with 'new' stuff. One thing that I have noticed is that lots of time the embossing powders do get messed up, but since they come in such small containers anyway... she also supplies us with the matching envelopes, so I can't imagine that she makes that much $$, but she does have quite a few regulars. Oh, & she usually does do one make & take - where she spotlites a new technique & we are welcome to make one of those as well at no extra charge. The only other thing that seems to get really messed up is the VersaMark pad (it seems to work like a stamp cleaner - even after a good cleaning on the stamp brush thingie). I am part of a club as a double member & I must get $30 of SU each month - but as I've said before, I always seem to spend more...
The other company I have recently joined (CTHM), is a once a month meeting of a 'group' of ladies who place an order - the demo brings a project & there is no charge, this meets at 10am on Saturdays & includes a light lunch. Each member is the host, so basically I guess we each share in the cost. I've only attended one of these, but had a wonderful time - loved the stamps & ended up getting 9 stamps sets (so I think the Demo was pretty happy I was there).

I like being part of the SU club, because I think many of us who are members like to meet at the demos house & stamp, without having to worry about having to host each month, but we get to have the 'host' benefits from the club. I personally don't have enough stuff to host a free for all at my house, so the CTMH club works for me as well, being that my demo brings all the stuff needed & I can get a nice little lunch together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2005, 02:46 PM   #33  
Glitter Guru

Oh, plus, my SU demo didn't have too much interest when she tried to do a more expensive, more project oriented stamp camp. I don't mind 10, but couldn't convince myself of spending $25.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2005, 07:04 PM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

Default Stamp camps....Love them!!

My demo does a stamp camp atleast 3 times a year. She charges us $25 each and we make usually 5 cards of 4 different sets. She sets up different stations for us and has all the supplies for that station for us. Out of the $25 we spend on the camp we are give a $20 credit to spend the night of the camp. Of course we never ONLY spend $20 so I'm guessing she has very good sales on that night. The last stamp camp we had, she had 25 people come. We all prepay atleast 2 weeks in advance so that she will be able to order enough supplies.

We have a club that meets once a month with a member being the hostess for the month, so that we each get a turn at the hostess benefits. We each have to spend atleast $15 a month. We have only 13 women in our club (my demo has 2 monthly clubs) and my party sales for June ( my month to be hostess) was $427 without my order!!

My demo eplains everytime about the proper care of her ink pads and the stamps. She reminds everyone to not rock the stamp and clean the stamp after every use, She always has several stampin scrubs on the table for us to use. She never complains if someone gets ink on her stamps or if someone stamps a black image onto a yellow pad she cleans it up and keeps going. It helps everyone at ease for night.

I have bought stamps from others that the wood was so stained they looked like they had been through a war...it did not effect the stamped image at all.

Just my 2 cents and more...

Hugs....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2005, 12:29 AM   #35  
Cardstock Collector

Post Getting people to your Stamp Camps

I am new to SU and am now orphaned. My former upline had great Stamp Camps, but I can't seem to get anyone at mine. Where do you find the people? I charge $10 for 4+ projects (2 advanced technique projects [usually cards], 1 scrapbook page and craft). I know there are people out there like me who love to stamp and scrapbook, but how or where do I find them? Desparate for business, Elizabeth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2005, 09:21 PM   #36  
Cardstock Collector

Default Stamp Camps/Open Houses

Hi: My only attended one stamp camp of my upline and she charged $20 for an all-day stamp camp (9-3). It included 10 rotating workstations where you made cards or little gift items, sack lunch in a hand stamped bag, refreshments, opportunity to earn tickets to enter in for doorprizes, plus a little welcome package with a bookmark and pen etc. It was WELL worth the cost.
I've done a stamp camp myself and charged the same amount and followed the same type of outline (10 stations etc), since I figured if my upline wins the cruise every year, she must be doing something right!! (my upline is awesome!) I had a good turnout and a good response to the price. I guess it depends on how elaborate you make your camps, as to what price you charge. The $10 camps obviously aren't as detailed but that means less work for you setting up a camp etc. I live in an area where craft classes in various stores/location are often $15-$35 dollars, depending on the project etc so maybe that's why I don't think $20 (or even $25) is too much for a camp. Again, it depends on how elaborate you make it.
I also did an Open House last year and had an awesome response--I basically had areas set up for display of SU products, a place to play with wheels, some of my cards scrapbooks out for display, refreshments, light snack and 2 free make' n takes (basic stamping). Then I charged $5 for 4 paid make'n takes, where they could do some more advanced techniques. I also gave people opportunity to "earn" tickets to enter in for doorprizes (I use free stamp sets/products I've earned as my doorprizes); for example, they got a ticket if they brought a friend, called in advance to say they were coming, did the paid make'n take, placed a $50 order, ordered out of the current mini or booked a workshop etc. I had enough orders to count as a hostess workshop for myself, plus I made some on the amount I charged for the paid make' n takes etc.
Anyway, hope some of this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2005, 02:20 PM   #37  
Glitter Queen

My drop in nights are $5 and bring your own inkpads. I let them use my stamps but not my ink. This is a compromise. I keep a limited supply of cardstock on hand and charge for that as well. Unfortunatley too many people will take advantage if you let them use everything. Also, why order if you can use it for free.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2005, 10:20 PM   #38  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have found a way to ease my mind about the ink on my stamps. I have been frustrated with my hostess club members rocking the stamps and getting ink all over the wood. Soooooo, I got my DH to get some sandpaper and I sanded the stained parts on the wood. For the most part it removes the ink. I am able to relax and enjoy the stamping too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2005, 08:27 AM   #39  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My -- NSH -- Advice...

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovinmy4boys
Can someone please explain to me how to do this in a beneficial way. I am pretty anal about my stamps and am not crazy about people using my ink pads, etc.
First step is to answer the question: Why did you become a demo? Was it to fund your hobby or to make $$$?

Now...this is going to sound harsh, but bear with me: *Get over it!* Now, let me explain. If you're in this to make $$$, I am going to assume that you do not have your stamps in a crystal case with track lighting shining down on them to spotlight how pristine they look, right? Do you call up your friends to "OOOOoooohhhh" and "AAAAaaaahhhh" over your ever-growing stamp collection? Probably not. I'm not saying that you *shouldn't* be proud of keeping your supplies in good shape...I'm just saying that as a demo who wants to make $$$ at this, you have to expect a little bit of wear & tear on your supplies. Then at the end of the night, you can let them order to their heart's content.

Here is another option. Tell your friends that they need to bring *their own* supplies to your house. You can even designate *exactly* which supplies in advance they must have - that means, if they don't have them, they must buy them. They must also pay a fee of $X.XX to you for the "Service" of teaching them what you know.

If you're interested in what *my* classes are, here is a list:

Fun With Alphadots - Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 12:00n to 4:00p:Do you know how versatile this set is? Come to class to learn how to turn your Alphadots into 1-D Balloons, 3-D Balloons, Ladybugs, Christmas ornaments, eyeballs, M&Ms, and Olives! You must bring along your Alphadots set if you already own it or purchase a set if you do not. Sign-up deadline: August 1. Cost: $15.00 if you already own "Alphadots"; $40 if you will require pre-purchase of Alphadots. Max. Attendance: 15 stampers.

Christmas in September - Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 11:00a to 5:00p: We will work on Christmas and Holiday cards early! Each class member will need to purchase cardstock, envelopes, and one Holiday set for this class. Please place all Holiday set and cardstock orders by September 1 to ensure delivery in time for class. Sign-up deadline: September 1. Cost: $10.00 - *NOT* including your stamp set and cardstock to make your Christmas cards. Max. Attendance: 10 stampers (may add a second date if there is enough interest.)

Contain Yourself - Sunday, October 16, 2005 - 12:00n to 4:00p:We�re going to create five fun items using some form of container: a paper handled-shopping bag, a mini paint can, a gable box, a pop-top favor, and a mini galvanized pencil cup. Sign-up deadline: October 1. Cost: $25.00. Max. Attendance: 15 stampers.

Festive Table D�cor and Layouts to Match - Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 12:00n to 5:00p:Do you like the look of a coordinated holiday table? In this class, we'll make votive boats, candle wrappers, place card holders, wine glass charms, and a napkin ring. Sign-up deadline: October 30. Cost: $20.00. Max. Attendance: 15 stampers.

Relax & Kick Back! - Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 11:00a to 4:00p:Okay...it's probably time to take an afternoon for yourself and just *breathe* to get through this stressful holiday season!!!! This class will be *FREE* to all of you gals who have attended one of the previous four classes. It�s a way for me to say *THANK YOU* for supporting my classes. Topic is a *surprise*! (Sorry - if you didn't attend at least one prior, you can�t attend this one!)

Love Is In The Air� - Sunday, January 22, 2005 - 12:00n to 4:00p: Want to create some fun, unique Valentine�s day items? Here is your chance! We�ll do a doily-folding technique to create a unique pocket card and show how the same technique can be used to make a pocket for your scrapbook page to hold journaling or anything else you choose! Sign-up deadline: January 2, 2006. Cost: $15.00. Max. Attendance: 10 stampers.

February Technique Extravaganza - Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 12:00n to 4:00p:In this class, we'll learn some fun techniques that will really help your pages, cards, and favors pop! We'll focus on Polished Stone, Faux Linen, masking, watercoloring, Crayon Resist, plus more! No, sorry: I will *not* being doing the shaving cream technique...it isn't acid-free and it's just too messy! Sign-up deadline: February 1, 2006. Cost: $20.00. Max. Attendance: 15 stampers.

March Madness - Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 12:00n to 5:00p: Here is the one class that you *should* bring your kids to! We�ll have a day to just browse open-house style in and out with kid-friendly projects: We�ll stamp images onto dominos and seal them for fun art pins. We�ll make a child�s �About Me� layout. We�ll stamp a cool mobile to hang in their room, complete with punched accents. Sign-up deadline with kid count: March 1, 2006. Cost: $5.00/family. Max. Attendance: none - open-house style.

Also: Don't feel that you *must* do it on-the-cheap!!! Remember that you are a *PROFESSIONAL*!!!! What would your "friends" be paying if they were attending classes at a local stamp store or scrapbook store? Keep *THOSE* costs in mind when you set your fees...and also keep in mind that you working with images, some products, and cutting-edge techniques that aren't obtainable elsewhere!!!

HTH ~ Kaylyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2005, 08:40 AM   #40  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Off-Topic Semi-Hijack.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by emcclanahan
I am new to SU and am now orphaned...I know there are people out there like me who love to stamp and scrapbook, but how or where do I find them? Desparate for business, Elizabeth
Elizabeth:

Go to my Brainstorming For New Business Ideas Thread here in this forum....

~ Kaylyn
Reply With Quote Likes