Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-23-2010, 04:49 PM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by NwPView Post
Oh geez, don't get me started on the Koala Bear Kare - Koalas are NOT BEARS. Every time I see that I think my head is going to explode.
LOL!!! I am totally with you on that!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2010, 05:02 PM   #42  
Mad Swapper

I know we are discussing grammar but my pet peeve is "scrapin" instead of scrapping. Talk about high blood pressure!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2010, 07:09 AM   #43  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoosierMamaView Post
I know we are discussing grammar but my pet peeve is "scrapin" instead of scrapping. Talk about high blood pressure!
I always get the image in my head of that person scraping paint off a house when I see this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2010, 10:08 AM   #44  
Glitter Guru

Hahaaaa...I've enjoyed this thread. I'm a stickler for grammar as well --& always proofread before hitting "submit" or "send". I am mortified when I later find I spelled something wrong! Right now on my laptop, my "a" & my "s" are both sticking so I have to reread everything 15 times lol.....

My husband is the WORST when it comes to grammar & it drives me insane. One day he said "I haven't ate anything today" OMG I thought I was going to slap him. I always see things spelled wrong on the news too ---- really, don't they proofread?

I think the worst for me is when "Canceled" is spelled "Cancelled". Even on our system at work it is misspelled & it makes me crazy!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2010, 10:48 AM   #45  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Unfortunately, I work at a college, and I can't tell you how many emails have been sent out to the employee list with atrocious spelling and grammar errors. I fear that in our old age, we are going to have to deal with kids who can't spell simple words because they will be in permanent "text-speak" mode.

I know of a couple companies who did pull their stamps from production and correct their mistakes. I'm not sure which one the original poster is talking about that refuses to admit their mistake.

I would not buy any stamps that have obvious spelling errors. However, I did buy the cutest stamp that says "cutie pie" simply because I say this to my nieces and nephews all the time. :-)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2010, 06:07 AM   #46  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,074 Likes on 824 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMommyView Post

I think the worst for me is when "Canceled" is spelled "Cancelled". Even on our system at work it is misspelled & it makes me crazy!!!!
I never knew that you only spelled it with one l over there - 2 is right for UK English usage. Maybe the program you use was developed in Europe.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2010, 06:36 AM   #47  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So which way do you spell cancelled or canceled? Turns out they are both correct spellings depending on where you come from. Cancelled is the British spelling while canceled is the American spelling. Both are completely acceptable but will sometime trip up your spell check depending on how you have it set up. For more details please refer to Why is it when you do a search the spelling cancelled vs canceled? - Yahoo!7 Answers.

Found the above at a dictionary site.....learn something everyday.....I am pretty sure i always use two ll's. now I can choose the spelling......US or British.....to fit the situation

MY BLOG: www.mugsycreates.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2010, 06:55 AM   #48  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMommyView Post
That's funny, because one of my peeves is that the American spelling only has one L. The way I learned phonics, "canceled" should be pronounced canseeled, with a long E before the L. So I never could figure out why ours only has one L.

And speaking of ridiculous English-language spelling variations, did you know that both judgment and judgement are correct spellings?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2010, 07:12 AM   #49  
Insane Embellisher

This thread is great! I often don't buy stamps that have spelling issues - not just when words have extra apostrophes, but when things like 'favourite' and 'colour' are not spelled the way we spell them in Canada ... I remember Stampin' Up came out with a set a couple of years ago with 'favourite' spelled the British/Canadian way and I bought it just for that word.

And 'your invited' or 'your welcome' drives me over the edge!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2010, 07:17 AM   #50  
Insane Embellisher

I'm loving this thread! I took a college grammar class 5 years ago (what a killer, I was not an English major and had been out of high school 27 years) and we got extra credit for grammar errors we brought to class from magazines, etc.

I got 50 points one day for bringing a brochure from the university to the professor. Newspapers and magazines almost sent her over the edge.

We have a neighbor up the street with an unnecessary apostrophe in their last name on their house sign. She's an elementary school principal and he's a middle school teacher!

I would never buy a stamp set with a grammatical error. It would drive me bonkers. I might not be the best speller, but I can use an apostrophe correctly and go ahead and ask me to diagram a sentence - what a useful skill (haha).

Last edited by Sew It Seams; 12-25-2010 at 07:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2010, 07:35 AM   #51  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sew It SeamsView Post
We have a neighbor up the street with an unnecessary apostrophe in their last name on their house sign. She's an elementary school principal and he's a middle school teacher!.
These are the WORST!!!!! I have seen countless signs that have the last name done incorrectly - it drives me bonkers! I want to send a copy of Grammar Girl to the business that make those things. One would think if it's your job to put last names on a sign that everyone is going to see, you'd at least know know how to do it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2010, 08:33 AM   #52  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
That's funny, because one of my peeves is that the American spelling only has one L. The way I learned phonics, "canceled" should be pronounced canseeled, with a long E before the L. So I never could figure out why ours only has one L.

And speaking of ridiculous English-language spelling variations, did you know that both judgment and judgement are correct spellings?

I think it's quite possible that English has more exceptions than rules!!! ;^)

Hmm... most certainly would not have been when I was in grade school!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2010, 09:30 AM   #53  
Stampin' Fool

Default bad grammar

Quote:

Originally Posted by katz_r_usView Post
As someone who worked as a proofreader for years, I even have issues with capitalization errors, periods where they should not be, and missing commas.

I'm glad someone mentioned proofreading. Exactly how does a stamp go through all the steps involved without someone picking up this error? Is proofreading becoming a lost art, or have proofreaders all lost their jobs in the bad economy? Because you see more of this in all types of printed media, even books.

To answer the question, no, I would not buy the stamp. I might contact them about it, but I wouldn't really expect a response.

People are relying on spell check. That doesn't weed out true words used incorrectly. A lot of people just don't think that poor spelling and bad grammar are that big a deal. I correct my children all the time, and my son notices poor punctuation. I got this bug from my father, who used to point out spelling errors, especeially in restaurants. Sherbert, anyone?

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2010, 09:31 AM   #54  
Kookie Creator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My pet peeve is your for you're (you are). I correct it all the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2010, 09:47 AM   #55  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

One of my favourites is the word "accordion". I always notice it when people misspell it as "accordi A n". It's sometimes misspelled here on SCS, referring to those accordion cards. My all-time favourite however, was when accordion club members (accordion players!!!) would misspell it!! I'm not irritated by this, however. Just amused.

Okay, yesterday I DID buy a stamp set with a deliberate misspelling. It said "Luv ya". (shudder).
Animal Hearts - Clear Stamps
I got it for $5 at Michael's with a 50%-off coupon.
I'm gonna cut the words out so I can write inside the heart myself. <disgruntled look> Ya know what kills me more than grammatical errors on a stamp set? It's when stamp designers blacken things that shouldn't be blackened!!! Like the frog on that set - I don't want a BLACK frog; I want a GREEN frog!!! I don't want to do the marker technique (where you ink up a stamp using markers)!! Argh! But, I love that bunny, even though it will always be carrying a BLACK pot that will never be any other colour on my cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2010, 10:16 AM   #56  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by juttaView Post
I got this bug from my father, who used to point out spelling errors, especeially in restaurants. Sherbert, anyone?

Jutta
For as long as I can remember, this word has bothered me to no end. My mom says "sherbert" as well and I automatically correct her every time without even meaning to. Why in the world do people put that extra letter in there? That word is everywhere - just do a google search and there are almost more "sherberts" than "sherbets" that pop up! :confused:
Sherbert is not a word, people. LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2010, 10:29 AM   #57  
Polyshrink Goddess

to instead of too....arrrrrrggggggh

deliberately misspelled words are OK......luv ya, for example.....they did it on purpose. when it's done out of ignorance or laziness.....then....arrrggghhh ! (not a word)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2010, 02:03 PM   #58  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by mugsy1View Post
So which way do you spell cancelled or canceled? Turns out they are both correct spellings depending on where you come from. Cancelled is the British spelling while canceled is the American spelling. Both are completely acceptable but will sometime trip up your spell check depending on how you have it set up. For more details please refer to Why is it when you do a search the spelling cancelled vs canceled? - Yahoo!7 Answers.

Found the above at a dictionary site.....learn something everyday.....I am pretty sure i always use two ll's. now I can choose the spelling......US or British.....to fit the situation
Yah, I spell it "cancelled" and was like, "I'm spelling that wrong???" I'm Canadian we use British spelling and am used to a lot of words being different from US spelling so I figured it was something like that.. Thanks for looking that up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2010, 07:11 PM   #59  
Polyshrink Goddess

Some of the worst I have seen, and one was in a church hymnal, Nowell rather than than Noel (as in "The First Noel"), bokay instead of bouquet and walla instead of voila.
Drives me nuts!!!

http://camanocardmaker.wordpress.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2010, 07:13 PM   #60  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

What is "Woot Woot?" It's not even a word.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2010, 08:16 PM   #61  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbrownView Post
What is "Woot Woot?" It's not even a word.
Just a slang interjection I suppose.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2010, 08:59 PM   #62  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Speaking of grammar and pet peeves, here's a hilarious comic starring the "alot":

Hyperbole and a Half: The Alot is Better Than You at Everything
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 02:46 AM   #63  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

Originally Posted by horseygalView Post
Some of the worst I have seen, and one was in a church hymnal, Nowell rather than than Noel (as in "The First Noel"), bokay instead of bouquet and walla instead of voila.
Drives me nuts!!!
I agree with all the variations on voila ( - which should have an accent on the a, but as I can never remember the asci code and the keyboard shortcuts don't work on the forum I'll let that pass) being awful. Some are tongue in cheek but alas most aren't.

But actually Nowell is acceptable - it's the older English spelling derived from the French Noel - with a diaresis over the e, and was used in most of the earlier publications (the carol dates from the 17th century). It's the version used in my Oxford Book of Carols printed by Oxford University Press.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 06:37 AM   #64  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakalahView Post
Speaking of grammar and pet peeves, here's a hilarious comic starring the "alot":

Hyperbole and a Half: The Alot is Better Than You at Everything
I laughed and laughed and laughed. I love the Alot a lot. Alots are cute. I want one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 06:55 AM   #65  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
I agree with all the variations on voila ( - which should have an accent on the a, but as I can never remember the asci code and the keyboard shortcuts don't work on the forum I'll let that pass) being awful. Some are tongue in cheek but alas most aren't.

But actually Nowell is acceptable - it's the older English spelling derived from the French Noel - with a diaresis over the e, and was used in most of the earlier publications (the carol dates from the 17th century). It's the version used in my Oxford Book of Carols printed by Oxford University Press.

Thank you for that information on Noel! I feel so much better now, knowing that when we sing it today, I can "let it go"! It's still weird though, since the French don't spell it Nowell. However, I am not familiar with the history of the word.

http://camanocardmaker.wordpress.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 04:24 PM   #66  
Glitter Guru

I didn't know that about the spelling of "Canceled" ---- I had it drilled into my head (I can't even remember by whom) that it has one "l". And when I type it with 2 my Spellcheck underlines it.

The sherbert thing......that made me lol....

The "your" & "you're" thing drives me nuts to. Also "their" "there" & "they're" ---although I'm sure in my fast typing (my fingers are faster than my brain) I've made that error once or twice LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2010, 02:58 AM   #67  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
Oh my.... we haven't seen "ovenable" either but certainly would have raised eyebrows over that one!!

Another thing that bugs my daughter and me is when they spell things wrong on purpose -- like Koala Kare on the baby-changing tables. Grrr.
My cousin and his wife live on Krystal Kreek Drive. It would really bug me to live on a road that is spelled incorrectly just to be cute.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2010, 06:58 AM   #68  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
Oh my. I would have to call them!

There is a place by us that has a sign to let people know that you can park a bus there. It says "Busses Allowed." I wonder if anyone goes in and kisses the employees ;^) .
There is a used car lot that I used to have to drive by frequently that had a sign that said- "New Car's To You". Used to drive me nuts!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2010, 10:59 AM   #69  
Die Cut Diva

OP, I wouldn't buy it, but then I'm an English teacher. Incorrect grammar, especially the possessive for plural, is a toughie for me to stomach.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2010, 12:05 PM   #70  
KLF
Kookie Creator

I bought a Clear Arts set because I liked the images and didn't notice the punctuation errors until I used it. ("The road to a friends' house is never long" and "Accept this little greeting on its' happy way...") I emailed the company, but never got a reply. Luckily, an Xacto knife and a pen fixed the problems.
I'm an avid proofreader--not that I haven't been known to send out things with mistakes, but at least not on purpose! I like that English phrase that someone mentioned, "Grocer's Apostrophe." I certainly see them a lot in many places, including our local newspaper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2010, 12:21 PM   #71  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by herekittyView Post
I can tell you that it's not slang - it's an unnecessary apostrophe. Both in the title of the set and in a sentiment, there is a word that is supposed to be plural and instead it is possessive.
That drives me CRAZY! My fiance is a proofreader and I pride myself on being grammatically correct (or trying to be)...that said, the incorrect usage of your, you're, there, their and they're drive me BONKERS! This in addition to the incorrect usage of an apostrophe and where I live people will often say "I seen so and so" instead of "I saw"...anyway, stepping off of the soap box.

I would not buy the set if it were not correct...and if it were a set I couldn't live without, I would call the company to let them know of the error and hope that they would make it right BEFORE purchasing the set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2010, 04:26 PM   #72  
Pearl-ExPert

This thread cracked me up. Here I thought I was the only grammar Nazi out there. I teach at a university and am consistently horrified at the work that gets turned in by my students. I often wonder how they graduated from high school. One time I had my 12 year old read something to see if she could make sense of it and then my 8 year old piped in with "it's not a sentence mom, it's just a bunch of words strung together." I think my biggest pet peeve is the incorrect use of apostrophes. Since when does the plural for carrot need an apostrophe? I saw it in the grocery store ad that way! Once there was an ad in the newspaper that stated "Instructor's wanted." What?!? One time my husband and I were shopping in the petite section of a clothing store and there was a big sign that said Petite's. My husband asked the salesperson "who is Petite and why are all her clothes here?" The sales person didn't get it. One last peeve and then I will be done - what is it with people ending sentences with the word at? Where is it at? It's not even like the sentence needs the word. Where is it works just fine!

Live each day with kindness, happiness, and a smile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2010, 04:46 PM   #73  
Matboard Maniac

Another thing that bothers me is when people go nuts using quotes. I want to let them know that quotes do not add emphasis. This is on another forum I visit:

Quote:

I want to "show" my mom instead of "telling" her how much I "hate" it when she acts like that! I feel like she never "listens" to me and she expects me to "always" be where she wants me to be no matter how I feel...
:confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2010, 07:47 PM   #74  
Rubber Obsessor

OP, have to agree with most posters. I'd email them, but buy it if I really wanted it for the other images/greetings.

You all are great! So nice to know I'm not the only one, too. Funny posts!

Oh my dear Grammar Nazis, I hope you have read "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves". If you have not, RUN to your library or bookstore and get this book. You will pee your pants laughing and nodding. It's all about this sort of thing. Run, I tell you!

'Voila' is one of my pet peeves too! I go nuts every time I see it as 'walla' or such and I find myself thinking, "what? Isn't that in WA?". It actually confuses me.
I think people are just ignorant of English in general and words we have borrowed from other languages especially. Voila and beaucoup must be at the top of the butchering list.
My husband is ESL(Croatian) and his spoken English is superior to most born and bred Americans' English. It's disheartening.

'Woot woot' is just something people say in congratulating others or in tooting their own horn. Not that many people use it, IMO.

Back to the red pencils, ladies!

Holly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2010, 04:06 AM   #75  
Polyshrink Goddess

i just reserved it in my library ! says "zero tolerance approach to punctuation". can't wait

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2010, 07:29 AM   #76  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubamaraView Post
Oh my dear Grammar Nazis, I hope you have read "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves". If you have not, RUN to your library or bookstore and get this book. You will pee your pants laughing and nodding. It's all about this sort of thing. Run, I tell you!
I love this book!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2010, 07:33 AM   #77  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Accomodating Brocolli in the Cemetary or why can't anybody spell, by Vivian Cook, is another good one .
And Mind the Gaffe - the Penguin Guide to Common Errors in English, by R.L. Trask.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2010, 07:35 AM   #78  
Matboard Maniac

Grammar Girl is a big favorite of mine - both her podcasts and the book!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2011, 05:46 PM   #79  
Cardstock Collector

did anyone see this at Pink Paislee blog post about "First Friday's"?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2011, 08:11 PM   #80  
Crimping Master

I'm with you ladies. Snowflakes, grammar and punctuation really bug me if they're incorrect. I'm an elementary sub who often does long-term jobs. I did a first grade job, and even those kiddos learned that snowflakes have 6 points! I just finished a 13-week 4th grade job, and it drove me CRAZY how kids even that young always used an apostrophe for plurals. In those short weeks I couldn't break the habit. :-( In fact, when I taught journalsim/yearbook I had one student who had me for THREE years and STILL graduated using an apostrophe EVERY time he made something plural! :-(

ok, off my soapbox now...

Stamp sets with errors--I don't buy them...
TAC Demonstrator #1484/Manager, Smilin' Stampers
My TAC Site My BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes