Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-20-2005, 01:41 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stamping on Tiles

Hello,
I have read alot of different ways to do the tiles. I just bought the Rialto and wanted to know what you think works best on these? Is it kind of trail and error? Thanks for the help
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2005, 05:27 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I've done a lot of stampin on tiles, but I'm not sure what Rialto is. I do know that I have a couple of "junk" tiles that I keep for trying techniques out on, I find this helps with the trial and error without ruining a bunch of good tiles.

"Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment" -Ben Franklin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2005, 03:27 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

I don't know for sure what Rialto tiles are either. I have made quite a few using tumble tiles for coasters and the small 2X2 tiles for magnets. The trick is stamping them with Stazon ink. Let dry or heat set. If you decorate with Stazon inks and fabrico markers or sharpies they will not run when a glass it set on them. However, I would let them dry for at least 24 hrs. before I set a glass on them. If you use any other type of color, for instance chalks, you will have to spray with a sealer. The problem with the sealer is, water will bubble up and roll off of the coaster. You can also seal with versamark and embossing powders. I use this sometimes on my refrigerator magnets. It also will make water bubble up. For magnets that not a problem, you're not going to be using a wet glass for them anyway.
I haven't done oodles of these, so there may be someone else out there that can give you some more tips.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2005, 01:20 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I think Rialto is the name that you will find on the bar code for these tiles. I have done about 100 of these so far and LOVE them! They are not as many holes as the tumbles marble but still hold up well. I stamp my image with Staz0on and then heat set for 15 minutes in my oven. Then let cool for a few minutes and color - I use my chalk inks becausae I love the way they look. Then when they are all colored in I heat set again for another 15 minutes. When they are cool I spray with 2 light coats of sealer. This takes away a little of the absorbing factor but it is OK with me to get an image that will not GO anywhere! Good luck and let us see what you have done!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2005, 07:47 AM   #5  
Sawyer's Texas LOSTie

I've used the Rialto tiles tons of times! I like them better than the tumbled tiles because they have a smoother surface. I stamp with Staz-On, wait till it dries (you can heat it if you wish), then color with Sharpies or with chalks and a blender pen. Seal with a clear sealant, and they'll last forever! Well, maybe not forever, but for quite awhile anyway! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2005, 01:54 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Sounds like a fun thing to try. Where do you find these tiles? Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2005, 06:16 PM   #7  
Sawyer's Texas LOSTie

I buy mine at Lowe's for 32 cents each! I love the price - no great loss when you screw one up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2005, 06:14 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Yep - I get mine at Lowes too. I put a cork backing on mine and that I find at Micheals. I get a lot of coasters covered with one roll. I try to look for 50% off coupons but haven't found any lately.
Reply With Quote Likes