Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stamping Up or Close to My Heart

I've been a stamper since long before it was popular. I've managed a large rubber stamp store and have taught many classes. I love to teach!!

I'm thinking of becoming a Rep for either Stamping Up or Close to My Heart. I have already talked to someone about CTMH. Which company do you feel has the best products? How about the best compensation plan? or are they both about the same?

I like the CTMH Cricut cartridge and how the stamps fit the diecuts. I love that!

If you are a rep for either company and would like to comment, please do. If you prefer one company over the other, let me know that as well. Thanks in advance for your candid thoughts!

Karen
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I tend to lean toward SU! I am a rubber lover and I never got into the cricut or other electronic die cutter. I do have a big shot and love the SU! exclusive dies, some of which fit the stamps as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2012, 02:47 PM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Full Disclosure: I'm a Stampin' Up! demo!
I really don't know how the two compare ... but I know that I'm happy with SU! and their products.
Coordinating ink/paper/embellishments; coordinating stamps/punches; coordinating stamps/Big Shot dies
(can you tell I like 'coordinating')

ONe product difference is the cardstock: SU! cardstock is coloured through; while CTMH is white core. Depends what you want ... I like not having to worry about white showing through.

Your best bet would be to find a SU! demo near you (if you want, I can recommend a few!), and get the details.
And then do the same with CTMH.

I think both companies have a fairly good reputation here on sCS.

It may come down to images ... which do you like?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Received 282 Likes on 101 Posts

If you are going to work to try and earn an income, you may not want to do either.

If you are just wanting to teach, meet great people, and get free product but don't care about earning any money, go with SU.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #5  
Inking Addict

It's not about the money. I make a very decent living. I'm a creative soul though and I'm happiest when I'm creating. Guess I need to see the Stamping Up catalog before I decide. Both have great features for me,so this is a tough choice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've only seen the CTMH catalog online. But I am now a SU demo - mostly for personal use, rather than for income. I started buying their product about four years ago and decided less than a year ago to become a demo. I absolutely love their product choices and coordinating punches and stamps as well as their coordinating papers, paints, ribbons, etc. But even more than all of those things, I love that they are always ready to help whenever you call them and always seem to go above and beyond. Can you tell how happy I am with this company!?

PAT
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2012, 04:28 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

customer view:

I strongly prefer SU's paper, ink, embellishments.
However, I strongly prefer clear stamps.
However, I prefer SU's stamp designs to CTMH's.

So I buy both!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I also think SU has their best catalog in years, especially for stamps and patterned paper.

And I do love photopolymer stamps -- CTMH has great quality and nice designs.

Yep. I'm no help at all ;) .

Last edited by Jeanne S; 06-05-2012 at 06:06 AM.. Reason: SPR... off topic
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Disclaimer: I'm a customer for both companies and a demo for neither.

The first thing to think about is what you want out of the company/products. I'd say CTMH is geared more toward Scrapbookers and SU is geared more toward card makers. Now both companies support either craft, but for what it's worth, that's my opinion.

Next, do you prefer acrylic or rubber? CTMH is a great quality acrylic stamp, but I still prefer rubber and am thrilled that SU now has the cling mount rubber for more compact storage and more versatile stamping.

The inks are comparable. Both have a good color selection and have coordinating markers. SU also has coordinating water color crayons that I happen to enjoy. SU recently discontinued their pastels and craft/pigment inks (except for basic neutrals). I also prefer the SU ink pad design. I was checking out both companies for quite some time before I eventually chose to go with SU for my inks.

Paper, I love SU's solid core cardstock. They have a huge variety in 8.5x11 and quite a bit in 12x12. SU recently re-packaged their 12x12 to where some colors are only available in multi-packs. I wasn't happy about that, but still prefer the solid core cardstock over the CTMH white core cardstock.

Printed paper - both companies have gorgeous papers. Yum....

Cutting, SU has coordinating punches that are so incredibly convenient. The also have coordinating dies. They can get pricy, but are a treat to use. I have yet to check out the CTMH Cricut cartridge.

Accessories. Both companies have great accessories. I do love that SU has affordable ribbon by the spool. Other than that, I'd say they're about even on accessories.

Hope this helps and keep in mind that this is just my two cents. I suggest you try the products first hand and see how you like them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #10  

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampingRealtorView Post
It's not about the money. I make a very decent living. I'm a creative soul though and I'm happiest when I'm creating. Guess I need to see the Stamping Up catalog before I decide. Both have great features for me,so this is a tough choice.
You can see the SU! catalogue online at Stampin' Up!

Home > Our Products > 2012-2013 Catalogues

Many of the sentiments are available in French, Spanish, and German now. (if that matters to you!)
You can use the SU! demo locator to find a demo close to you. Right now many of us are having New Catalogue Open Houses ... it would be a chance for you to try out the stamps, the new ink pads, and see the catalogue in person.

Best of luck with your decision. Leading a class is the part I love best about being a demo!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2012, 11:31 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Its been a while since I talked "shop" with a CTMH rep so I don't know how things have changed recently. A while back, there was a middle ground level/title with CTMH that was the lowest level they had as a consultant that was less requirements to stay a rep than the SU requirements. However, I think aside from that one level, they were both pretty similar in terms of minimums and compensation. I would recommend asking your CTMH rep about their opinion of the company and how it treats its reps too though. I am constantly blown away by how much SU bends over backwards to help their demos and I really do feel like the company cares. I have a girl on my team who actually left another direct sales craft company for SU and one big factor for her was that she felt the corporate office was completely unhelpful and she always felt on her own. She was shocked and amazed the first time I convinced her to call into demo support for help with something at how easy it was and how positive the experience.

But beyond that, I would say look at the products and see which ones call to you. If you love the patterns and designs in CTMH go that way! If you love the style and coordination of SU, go that way! If you are excited and passionate about the company you are a rep for, it will shine through and get other people excited with you. I know that I like some of the CTMH products and designs but I LOVE the colors and style of SU and have been super happy with my choice of company.

Both are good companies, so check out both catalogs and think of your style and what you want about being a rep with one of the companies and see if one pulls you more than the other!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2012, 02:21 AM   #12  
Inking Addict

This is all great advice. I'm still sitting on the fence! There are great things about both companies and product lines.

Thanks for helping everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2012, 02:26 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Heart

Hi Karen,

What company calls out to you when you think about joining?

I joined SU! in 2002 without ever having been to a SU! party.

As soon as I saw the catalog, SU! called out to me. My first draw was the coordinating card stock, ink, ribbons, etc. My second draw was the variety of stamp sets. My third draw was reading the history on how the company started.

Follow your heart! You can't go wrong with either company but you will be happier if you follow your heart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2012, 03:37 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley QueenView Post

Hope this helps and keep in mind that this is just my two cents. I suggest you try the products first hand and see how you like them.
Excellent descriptions of companies and this last line is the best advice. Try the products and choose the one that you feel most enthusiastic about!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2012, 03:55 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 297 Likes on 115 Posts

I've been both a customer and a demo for both companies, and here's why I "fly solo" now: I like the flexibility and freedom to use products from ANY company when I make things, blog, teach a class, etc. If you just want to teach, I would suggest contacting a couple of local scrapbooking stores and ask about teaching there. Girls and Boys Clubs of America would welcome a teacher, as well. A friend of mine teaches the 4-H girls in her area. There are a lot of places to feed the need to teach without pledging allegiance to a particular company. Just another thought...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2012, 07:36 AM   #16  
Embossing Fanatic

I was also looking into SU - if I were to become a SU rep, would I be prohibited from using non-SU products on my blog, SCS, etsy, or personal use?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi Victoria,

SU! does not allow you to actively promote, market or sell any competitive products as a demonstrator. You can make a casual or generic reference to competitive products but not directly promote or market.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainCaffeineView Post
I was also looking into SU - if I were to become a SU rep, would I be prohibited from using non-SU products on my blog, SCS, etsy, or personal use?
You can use whatever you want. You are discouraged from PROMOTING competing products. So if you use a button from PTI, you can say PTI buttons, but don't link to where they can buy them and go on and on about how fabulous they are. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #19  
Cardstock Collector

I have been a CTMH consultant for 7 years. When I was looking for a company I did a lot of research and chose CTMH. I've watched as the company has evolved and have to say I do love the company and the way they take care of their consultants. They listen to our suggestions and make changes when warranted. The compensation plan is very good (would be happy to go over that with you off the board if you like), and even though that is not your focus, it's always good to know. We have amazing bulletin boards where consultants share information and art and a wonderful training academy that has both creative and business classes--these were my best friend when I started! It's funny--when I started with CTMH I was so excited about the beautiful papers and embellishments and said "Oh, I'll NEVER stamp" because I'd tried and not liked it. But I have to say the clear acrylic stamps won me over and now I love it. I really don't know much about SU except I have bought their punches and sometimes papers. I suspect both are about the same in a lot of respects. I do know that I love the CTMH community and so does my team. I bet you could have a creative blast with either company!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2012, 01:50 PM   #20  
Embossing Fanatic

I too have been contemplating these two companies..it would be mostly for personal reasons- not necessarily for income... my issue is (im not sure what the req. are for CTMH) with SU! it says you have to make $300 in sales quarterly ($100/month)- now im not very "outgoing" and im not sure that i could meet those requirements. I honestly only personally know maybe 2 or 3 people who would buy from me and even at that rate i doubt it would be at the sum of $100 per month.... what are the stipulations on this? do you absolutely have to meet that in order to be an active rep??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #21  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by caseynicole88View Post
I too have been contemplating these two companies..it would be mostly for personal reasons- not necessarily for income... my issue is (im not sure what the req. are for CTMH) with SU! it says you have to make $300 in sales quarterly ($100/month)- now im not very "outgoing" and im not sure that i could meet those requirements. I honestly only personally know maybe 2 or 3 people who would buy from me and even at that rate i doubt it would be at the sum of $100 per month.... what are the stipulations on this? do you absolutely have to meet that in order to be an active rep??
You have until end of the quarter plus 1 month to meet the quota. If you don't, then you will get dropped. That just means you're no longer able to order as a demonstrator, to get the discounts or pre-orders.

Now that the Starter Kit is $99 and customizable, and if you don't care that you start over from scratch, there's nothing stopping you from being dropped and then re-sign up again. You get the $125 worth for $99; plus the 30% discount in 45 days, 20% on-going discount, etc. again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #22  

To expand on what Annie said ... the $300 doesn't have to happen evenly spaced. You can do it in one order if you want.
And each quarter, you have an 'extra' or pending month, to get caught up if you were behind.

You'd be surprised how quickly you can spend $300 every quarter ... and if you have 2 or 3 people purchasing, you can make it work.

And if you can't, life goes on. You drop as a demo, buy what you want from somebody else, and then, if you want, join again later.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #23  
Compulsive Stamper

I just signed up as a demonstrator for Stampin Up. With the new sign up for $99 you get to pick $125 worth of product. So if you go with them and don't like it, you aren't really out anything if there is $125 worth of stuff you want. I don't know much about close to my heart. I have the cricut cart and stamp set that goes with it, but I haven't used it much. I would go with whatever company has the most stuff that you like. They both have great products. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2012, 04:41 AM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

I love CTMH's clear stamps and signed on as a demo a yr ago for the personal discount.

If you can't sell (or buy yourself ;)) $300/qtr but can do $100/qtr you just drop down to Jr. Consultant status and still receive 10%.

One other thing I really like about CTMH is the great customer sales they frequently offer. Right now, in June, it's buy 2 stamp sets get 1 free. That's a pretty nice customer incentive!

Also love the cricut cartridge and matching stamps.

All that said there are some SU colors I can't live without (Cherry Cobbler for one) but I very rarely use rubber stamps anymore.

Good luck whichever way you decide!

ETA ~ I almost forgot! CTMH's Studio J digital scrapbooking! LOVE it! I cannot scrapbook traditionally (can't cut pics, have to try out each element before deciding) but I've done Studio J pages that I am so happy with. You don't need to buy software or anything but membership is available as an add on to the consultant kit.

Last edited by greekheroine; 06-06-2012 at 04:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2012, 05:02 AM   #25  

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by msachView Post
I just signed up as a demonstrator for Stampin Up. With the new sign up for $99 you get to pick $125 worth of product. So if you go with them and don't like it, you aren't really out anything if there is $125 worth of stuff you want. I don't know much about close to my heart. I have the cricut cart and stamp set that goes with it, but I haven't used it much. I would go with whatever company has the most stuff that you like. They both have great products. Good luck!
Congratulations! Best of luck to you. I hope to see you over on the demo side!

I agree with this opinion--it really is the products, bottom line. Whether you plan to sell them or just use them, you need to be behind the product line. Even if a minimum is super low, if you are not fond of the art style or hate their ink pads or whatever, you will have a hard time spending that money. If you love the products, you'll never find yourself without something to be excited about.

Obviously I'm biased, as you can see from my sig line the past seven years with SU have been very good to me : ) But I lucked out finding SU first, because I really do love their product/art style best. Best of luck to you on your decision! Either way you'll have great fun and meet lots of new stampy friends.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2012, 01:43 PM   #26  
Embossing Fanatic

I "used" to be a Creative Memories Consultant... make that, I still am, even though I closed my business in 2008. Their contract is worded in such a way that I am bound to CM for the rest of my life. When they say "Consultant for Life" they MEAN it.

That said, does SU or CTMH have similar verbage in their contract? I'll try to dig up my contract and cite the clause that makes it virtually impossible to break the contract.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #27  
Embossing Fanatic

Come to think of it... can CM sue me for signing an SU contract?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #28  

Quote:

I "used" to be a Creative Memories Consultant... make that, I still am, even though I closed my business in 2008. Their contract is worded in such a way that I am bound to CM for the rest of my life. When they say "Consultant for Life" they MEAN it.

That said, does SU or CTMH have similar verbage in their contract? I'll try to dig up my contract and cite the clause that makes it virtually impossible to break the contract.
SU! doesn't.
I had friends/relatives with CM and it was one of the things I was concerned about.
The only limitations that SU! has is that you are not allowed to use your downline information/customer information for other business things either during or after you leave SU! At least I think that's how it is.

I'm interesting in seeing the wording that CM has.

Of course, I don't do 'legal' ... but I'd like to think that I have this correct.

Last edited by basketballmom; 06-06-2012 at 03:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

I'll preface this by saying I'm not a lawyer so I can't be legally binding... :grin:
But, I know that with Stampin' Up! you just have to put in writing that you are resigning as a demonstrator to stop being a demo at any time. I also have a girl on my team who used to be a CM consultant and just resigned from CM when she signed up with SU. She hasn't had any problems since she signed up and I'm guessing you will be fine too. If you are concerned, I'd just put in writing to CM that you are officially no longer a consultant with their company.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Just out of curiosity, would love to see the language in the agreement you signed. what do you mean by consultant for life???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I know SU (and A Muse Studio) can terminate you if you don't meet your quotas, so that's one way of "resigning." That's how I left SU once, and years later, I signed on again and terminated the contract by submitting a letter of resignation.

For another example, the A Muse Studio agreement is visible here: https://www.amusestudio.com/Join.asp?PriceID=
They can terminate if you don't meet your quota also, and either party can terminate by providing 30 days' written notice.

I cannot imagine a contract that states you would be "bound for life."

Here is what I found on the Creative Memories site re: resignation. Perhaps they have changed the language since you signed on:

RESIGNATION
 Consultants who choose to resign from Creative Memories, for any reason, must sign and submit a brief letter of resignation to the Home Office stating their intentions. The letter should be mailed or faxed to the attention of Field Services and must include the Consultant’s name, 6-digit account number and signature.
 Resignations become effective the first day of the month following the month in which the resignation letter was received at the Creative Memories Home Office.
 Creative Memories must receive cancellation of a resignation in writing before the end of the last business day of the month in which Creative Memories received the resignation notice.
 The downline of the resigning Consultant may remain connected with the resigning Consultant’s upline.
 If the resigning Consultant is in the first line of the Home Office account, Creative Memories will determine the reassignment if necessary.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #32  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the "SU or CTMH" debate, I thought I might throw my idea into the hat and offer "neither!"

Have you ever heard of a company called Memory Works? They are a catalog based company that sells the latest and greatest from all of the top papercrafting companies...Basic Grey, Crate Paper, My Mind's Eye, Cosmo Cricket, Jillibean Soup, Echo Park, Studio Calico, Amy Tangerine, Dear Lizzy, and so many more. They also sell Tim Holtz products (distress inks, stains, markers, etc.).

It is the easiest of all the business plans. No monthly sales quotas, no quarterly minimums. You order when you want, what you want, period. You get an instant 20 percent income from all sales. You run your business any way you want...classes, workshops, etc.

I've been an SU demo, and I've sworn off the DBA's for a while, but this company REALLY really tempts me! You can find more at: http://www.memory-works.com/admin/images/site/express_intro_sept08lrg.jpg

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #33  
Embossing Fanatic

Clause 12(b) on my contract states: "Upon termination of this agreement, I will cease all use of Creative Memories Intellectual Property and Confidential Information and will cease holding classes, workshops and presentations or otherwise displaying, offering for sales or selling CM products. If I offer for sale or sell CM products in violation of the foregoing sentence, Creative Memories will be entitled to recover from me $5,000 as liquidated damages with having to prove actual harm."

My concern is, what is CM "intellectual property"?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2012, 08:32 PM   #34  
Embossing Fanatic

If I'd thought I needed to read a direct selling contract that closely, I would have NEVER signed with CM. Their legal department is hostile and ugly. I worked for another direct seller prior to CM and that contract didn't have any of that ugliness in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2012, 09:05 PM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Let's just say that if the information is openly available on the market, CM can't claim it as their proprietary intellectual property. So, life goes on after CM.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2012, 02:01 AM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

I cannot advise on what Creative Memories intellectual property means. However, my guess would be the ideas -- such as the catalog. You could not copy something in the catalog and then sell it, for example. Or if they distributed suggested sales methods, etc. you could not distribute those to others or sell them.

If you have any questions, you should direct them to Creative Memories and just ask whether what you want to do is permissible. It doesn't sound like they own you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2012, 07:01 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Clause 12(b) on my contract states: "Upon termination of this agreement, I will cease all use of Creative Memories Intellectual Property and Confidential Information and will cease holding classes, workshops and presentations or otherwise displaying, offering for sales or selling CM products. If I offer for sale or sell CM products in violation of the foregoing sentence, Creative Memories will be entitled to recover from me $5,000 as liquidated damages with having to prove actual harm."

You can no longer act like a CM consultant or use their promotional materials, workshop materials, or use or share any of their company information that you were privy to as a consultant. I believe they just want to ensure that former consultants are still bound by confidentiality and also cannot continue to act as a consultant while having no connection to the company. If you got it through CM, it's their intellectual property - their designs, their promotional material, samples, templates.... anything you got from them.

You are certainly not "bound" TO them in any way except to not benefit from any information or materials you obtained when you were under contract.
Reply With Quote Likes