Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-27-2007, 02:10 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stamping while the AC is on???

I was loving Jenn Balcer's pics of her kids in the Bluebonnets in the Texas spring (on her blog). Oh, how gorgeous those shots were!!! I was sooo jealous. And then promptly asked DH, why do we live in the frozen north (it snowed today!!!...but at least it is melting) and spring comes so much later. Then he reminded me of how hot Texas can get in the summer.

So, how hot is Texas in the summer??? (and other warm States).

Cause I was thinking, all you gals must stamp more (with the AC on) during the summer to beat the heat. And we might stamp more in the winter here with the fireplace going. Then head out doors when the nice weather finally arrives. The exact opposites is what I am thinking. Am I close??

Awww, you girls....you stamp everyday. I know!!!!!!! Who am I kidding??:rolleyes:

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2007, 02:17 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

We have our AC on already. It is absolutely beautiful outside, but the pollen is so so so bad. This morning while walking into work it coveredthe parking lot and you could see the footprints. YUCK. We went from having the heat on to turning on the AC.
I am not in Texas I am in GA where the pollen is the worst.:-(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2007, 02:32 PM   #3  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In in Dallas and we've been pollen covered for about a week now. Finally, it rained a lot yesterday and knocked some of the pollen out of the air! My silver car was yellow with pollen before the rain.

As an answer to your question, it gets hot, real hot down here. And, many of us are wusses about the heat and would not make it without A/C! Usually, the Spring is nice and it starts getting into the mid-80's to low-90's in late May/early June. However, our Winters (with the exception of this past one) are usually fairly mild, though we do get a freeze or two (freezes down here usually only last a day or two). In Dallas we get snow maybe once every two years. In Austin, maybe once every seven years.

Come June it'll stay in the 90's and then creep up to about 100 by July. It'll stay in the 90-100 range (gets down to about 80-85 at night when it's that hot during the day) until about September, when it'll "drop" to about a 85-100. We finally truly cool off sometime in October or November, but I've had many hot Thanksgivings and Halloweens! I've also had about an equal number of really cold ones! The temp will literally fluctuate from hot to cold until about December when it'll stay cool to cold.

As for rain in the Summers, it really depends on where you are. I've lived in Austin and Dallas and know from living there that it basically doesn't rain from the end of June until September. Just sunny and hot. You do get the occasional rain shower, but we've had long dry spells too.

Also, Dallas is pretty dry, so it's more of a dry heat. Austin is more humid, but Houston and East Texas take the cake on that one. Dallas gets hotter by degrees, but Houston's humidity is just overwhelming to me. It'll be 100 degrees out with 80% humidity - ugh. I've been there in January when it was 60 degrees with about 80-90% humidity and I was sweating like crazy!

However, Spring is usually just beautiful. It does rain a lot more in the Spring than in the Summer, but the days are often sunny, cool (60 degrees is cool to me) and just beautiful. When we've had enough rain, the wildflowers are everywhere and it's just lovely! It's so neat to drive down the highway and have wildflowers covering the medians and the hillsides!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2007, 04:00 PM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Denise, I am a Texan married to an Alaskan and so we live half-way in between, now, but I can tell you that the Texas heat and humidity is no fun! I lived in both Alaska and Texas since my marriage and it is just so hard to get anything done when it is 95 degrees and 95% humidity (I am from East Texas, it was always humid!) I am just loving my spring here, it is in the 50's but sunny today. I just talked to my sister who lives north of Houston and she says it is hot and in the 80's today there, yuck! The air conditioner is always on for 8 months there! But, after a long winter, I can see why you might want to be warmer, that's how I was when I lived in Anchorage and Kenai!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2007, 04:23 PM   #5  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm up the road from Jenn..... ;)

We're in Central Texas and the humidity isn't nearly as bad as some areas. We do get some heat in the summertime. I grew up in CA and it got much hotter there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2007, 04:26 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm in Michigan and it's been unseasonable hot for 2 days. And humid, too. But I refuse to put the AC on in March... It's just not right. :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2007, 05:30 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

I'm in Austin and it gets hot... really hot from about May through October. I hate the heat. Why we moved here I don't know! But I still love it here! I haven't put my AC on yet.. it's really only gotten to about 80-82 so far. But I imagine within the next couple of weeks it'll be on non-stop till Thanksgiving! The winters here are pretty nice, although I wish it would last longer! I've been here for 5 years, and it's snowed a bit 4 out of those 5 years. Everyone says it's rare for here, but I don't buy it.. lol. 4 out of 5 years!

We moved out here from the S.F. Bay Area in California about 5 years ago. It got hot there in the summer for about 3 weeks. We didn't even have AC. I do really miss the cooler temps there, but nothing else.

I think I'd do better in a cooler climate. I really, really, really hate the heat, and I have had melanoma, so I'm afraid of the sun so I spend most of the summer indoors. It's kind of a bummer because I wait all year to be able to do fun outside things when the kids get out of school for the summer, but it's so hot and humid we can't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2007, 05:33 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

We're in Missouri...it's made it to about 80 for the past several days, AND it's been raining, too (sun in the morning, rain in the afternoon) so it's been REALLY humid. I finally broke down and turned the AC on in the car yesterday, and we've had it on in the store, too. We have an attic fan at home, so that's been going in the evening. I'm sitting here typing in shorts and a t-shirt, and we had dinner on the deck. The upside is that everything is blooming...the red bud trees, magnolias and Bradford pears are amazing, along w/ the daffodils, hyacinth and other early spring bulbs. This summer I'll be doing a lot of stamping in the AC, because if the humidity don't get ya, the skeeters will!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2007, 05:36 PM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

It gets very HOT in Houston!!! Although I'm a Texas girl at heart I would love to stamp during the snow(after I played in it)...I love cold weather but we don't get a whole lot of that down here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2007, 05:40 PM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by denidill
So, how hot is Texas in the summer??? (and other warm States).
As a Canadian in Texas who has yet to experience the joy of a summer down here, I was asking some of the locals this same question. One of our friends from Kansas says it sometimes gets up to 60 deg C!!!!!!!!!!!! (130 F)

DH, who *has* lived through a Texas summer (apparently they aren't 100% fatal) said it's usually around 40 deg C, and gave me the impression that people behave in summer kind of the same way we do in Canada during a cold snap (-25 or worse with windchill) -- go outside just long enough to get back inside someplace with climate control.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2007, 05:41 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by kikikaren
However, Spring is usually just beautiful. It does rain a lot more in the Spring than in the Summer, but the days are often sunny, cool (60 degrees is cool to me) and just beautiful. When we've had enough rain, the wildflowers are everywhere and it's just lovely! It's so neat to drive down the highway and have wildflowers covering the medians and the hillsides!
I drove from Salado to Dallas this past Friday and the Bluebonnets were beautiful! Spring is beautiful - but it only lasts a couple of weeks. Then the heat and humidity kick in!

I'm in Dallas too so pretty much everything kikikaren said is right on. But I HATE the heat! Hate it! I'd much rather be cold right now than live through 70 days of 100+ heat in the summer.
My nonstamping, weight-loss blog sort of.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2007, 05:48 PM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicksmom917
Spring is beautiful - but it only lasts a couple of weeks. Then the heat and humidity kick in!
And the cockroaches, and the fire ants, and the wasps THE SIZE OF SMALL DOGS like the one that flew into our house with us last week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2007, 06:07 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Our a/c is on right now ( at 7 so the boys can get to sleep. It got to 84 here today after 68 and rain yesterday. We drove from visiting the outlaws in Florida last week - they're only 3 miles from the Georgia border so I know what you all mean about the pollen. Saw tons of bluebonnets on the drive back - beautiful. And for those of you who live in or near Houston - I take my hat off to you, I couldn't stand the traffic! OK back to the question, we're some 280 miles southwest of Dallas, 200 miles NE of San Antonio so we don't get humidity thank heavens. Last summer (only my 2nd in the US) was incredibly hot - I think we ended up with almost 3 weeks when the temps didnt fall below 102 or 103 except at night. Lots of days over 100 and many more in the high 90's. I think we're still in a drought although the rain so far this year will hopefully help the farmers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2007, 07:17 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm in the Houston metro area and let me say we've had the AC on for a couple of weeks. It's the humidity that's the killer. Like trying to live in a sauna. And our winter is Feb. 3rd., spring is 2 weeks at the end of March, fall is the last week of October and a couple of weeks in November. All the rest is summer. Maybe a slight joke, but this is mostly the truth. When I was younger I lived in St. Cloud Minnesota and Cheektowaga N.Y. for a while so I've seen both sides of this coin and I can't say either extreme in temperatures is thrilling.

"Some succeed because they are destined to, but most succeed because they are determined to."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2007, 07:32 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahloumel
And the cockroaches, and the fire ants, and the wasps THE SIZE OF SMALL DOGS like the one that flew into our house with us last week.
Yes! I never met a fire ant until I moved to Texas. We don't get along.

Cockroaches...they've come up with a cute little name for those suckers down here. They're called water bugs apparently. Either way, they are disgusting! At our old house, I used to squash them with my shoes but I was too freaked out to clean up the goo. So DH would come home and see my shoes all over the house and he'd say, "I see you've been killing water bugs again."

Add June bugs, spiders, crickets and mosquitos and you have the local wildlife.

Oh yeah...this thread was about weather. See, it's so warm here all year round that these bugs don't die. They live for years and years and get bigger and bigger. One day they're going to be house pets.
My nonstamping, weight-loss blog sort of.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2007, 07:37 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Arizona here. Windy today and about 75. This is the last of our "spring" and soon it will be intense summer where I will be stamping with the AC blowing in my face. I will stay in until mid October with the fans and AC blowing!

Dawn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2007, 09:16 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahloumel
As a Canadian in Texas who has yet to experience the joy of a summer down here, I was asking some of the locals this same question. One of our friends from Kansas says it sometimes gets up to 60 deg C!!!!!!!!!!!! (130 F)

DH, who *has* lived through a Texas summer (apparently they aren't 100% fatal) said it's usually around 40 deg C, and gave me the impression that people behave in summer kind of the same way we do in Canada during a cold snap (-25 or worse with windchill) -- go outside just long enough to get back inside someplace with climate control.
I think your Kansas friend is yanking your Canadian chain! (I'm from Kansas, so I can pick on them...) I've been in Texas for 22 years now, and the absolute hottest that I've seen is about 110. Most summers, our highest temp is around 104 or 105 (in Dallas, anyhow). The heat index, that's another story, though. Add humidity to the equation, and it can feel much hotter. Heat index is kinda like wind chill factor, only in reverse; just a fancy way of telling you that it really is that darned hot out there.

We don't do much outdoors in the summer except swim. Other than that, it's all about parking as close as possible so that you can keep the distance from air-conditioned house/store/office to air-conditioned car to an absolute minimum. And be careful when choosing a car! DH's car has black leather seats and un-tinted windows. Talk about being on the hot seat!

On the plus side, though, we usually have pretty mild winters. I've become a cold weather wimp after living here so long. Anything below 40 is really annoying; below 20 is pure torture.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2007, 09:20 PM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

Hate to tell y'all that it was 81 here today. OMG it was gorgeous. I'm 5 miles from the Texas line in NM. Now I'm different from those Dallas, Austin, San Antone, & Houston gals. We have no humidity---hardly ever. We are out in the desolate oil field country. Dry brown looking almost year round. But while every one had 3 feet of snow in the winter, I only had 3 feet of wind. The wind blows and blows. Ick. We wont turn off the AC off until Oct. or Nov.
:cool: sunglasses=year round:cool:
Proud mom of 2 soldiers-
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2007, 09:39 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

I'm in DeSoto, just south of Dallas. I grew up in New York (Long Island)and this is NOT humid. Anyway, I've been here since 1983 and all I can say is yes, it gets hot (110), but you get used to it. Really, you do!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2007, 09:54 PM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

I live in an area, high desert, that goes from one extreme to the other. We really have no inbetween. I go from having the heater blasting to having the swamp cooler blasting. I wish we had more temps in the 70's. It's either 30 degrees or 115 degrees. LOL

marlo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2007, 03:54 AM   #21  
Watercolor Wizard

Gotta question for you TX gals. I lived in Abilene for 6 months in 1992 and couldn't understand how a desert could be humid. I grew up in the South (NC and GA), where the lush green vegitation contributes to the high humidity, so it made sense. I've lived in Boise, ID, and Rapid City, SD--both very dry, though RC is in the Black Hills and not exactly desert. But what is up with Abilene?

To the OP, as a native Southerner, I can vouch for the rapid movement from one AC to another during the summer. When in the south, I won't go anywhere that's not got AC, although I did take my DS to an amusement park near Charlotte last August only because there was a water park....

Ohio summers are not THAT bad, but I couln't live without my AC.

My stampin' isn't weather dependent though--I stamp whenever I can, however I can, LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes