Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-02-2008, 07:51 PM   #81  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a notebook with images of my stamps organized by theme. I absolutely love my notebook because I can look through that to find just the right stamp. In fact I find it so useful that I don't "allow" myself to use or put away a stamp or set until I have stamped the images in the notebook.

Remember - never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
Fan Club Member
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2008, 08:54 PM   #82  
Hardware Hotshot

Tricia,

PM me your email address and I'll send you an email with the attachments.

thanks,
Deb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2008, 09:01 PM   #83  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuiltnstamperView Post
I have a notebook with images of my stamps organized by theme. I absolutely love my notebook because I can look through that to find just the right stamp. In fact I find it so useful that I don't "allow" myself to use or put away a stamp or set until I have stamped the images in the notebook.
This is what I used to do, till I filled the book. Then I tried the binder system, but the notebook was smaller and easier to handle. I'm about to redo all my inventory, and I think I will go back to the notebook, but I will need about three of them...and a separate ledger, as someone mentioned earlier, to catalog the post. I'm not up to speed on creating spreadsheets, and I still prefer the greater visibility (for my tastes, anyhow) of a written page.

I do find it much easier to sort through a notebook to see what I have rather than relying on my memory or sorting through drawers. It's been great seeing what ideas everyone else has!!

Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2008, 09:02 PM   #84  
Kookie Creator

Oops. I meant to say a separate ledger to catalog the cost, as well as stamp name, company name, etc.

D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2008, 06:06 PM   #85  
Forum Fanatic

Talking Are we twins?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyMountainStamperView Post
Well, I've become a bit OCD when it comes to this.

First, I had DH set up a spreadsheet in Excel that lists each stamp set by name, how many in set, year produced, category (or 2) it fits into (i.e. Floral, Holiday, Baby, etc.) I can then search that list for a certain "type" of stamp.

And right now I'm in the middle of doing a "hands-on" binder that will have each stamp (set) stamped and arranged by category. Some of the stamps will be stamped in multiple places, as it could fit into more than one place. Sentiments would be stamped with the set they come with, but I also have a "Sentiments" section that is broken down into "thank you", "thinking of you", etc.

Another example: I have quite a few sets with hearts in them. I'm stamping all the heart stamps I have onto one page (making sure that I reference which set it came from for easy finding!), so that if I'm looking for a particular size or style of heart, I can flip right to that page and have them all right there at my fingertips.

This might seem a bit over the top, but I own almost 325 SU! stamp sets, so it's absolutely necessary for me to be able to know what I've got!!

Hope that helps!
OH MY WORD, I thought it was JUST ME! LOL I've been telling everyone I'm a geek...well, I didn't put ALL the info you put, but I do have all the stamp sets alphabetically in Excel, and I also have a binder. I started off just stamping them as I got them, but then it got too hard to look through them all every time I wanted an idea. So I actually made copies of my original sheets and cut them out and pasted them on another 8 1/2 x 11 in categories. Some things are copied more than once and put in several categories, like you mentioned ("sayings" with the stamp set and under "saying.") It has helped tremendously! To see all the different fonts and styles I have for "Happy Birthday," for example, and I can hold up my card to the index and see what will fit in a certain place.
I wish I had done it a LITTLE more like you, in that now when I buy new stamps I don't always have room in the right section...I also have a "hearts" section for example (I categorized them under "weddings & love"). Some things are hard to fit, so I have a "Misc" page also.
THEN, I did the same thing with my inks, markers, embossing powders, stickles, etc. etc. I did the inks by color, with half the page being dye based inks and the other half being pigment inks, or specialty inks...
I think I actually enjoyed this organizing project, maybe even more than stamping itself, so that's why I say I'm a nerd LOL
TFS everyone, great ideas!:cool:

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2008, 06:10 PM   #86  
Forum Fanatic

ooh, one more thing I forgot is I like to show what OTHER stamp sets will work with each other or in an unusual way, like when I see someone make a carrot with the hat from Birthday Sketches...I put that under "other holidays" and wrote "could be Easter carrot" along with the set name.
I have a pocket stamp that isn't SU, so I also have taken a different color ink and stamped the things that would fit in "my" pocket, like I have a frog that peeks over the top (different from SU's).
Hope that makes sense?!

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2008, 07:50 AM   #87  
Insane Embellisher

For those of you who use a binder system, do you use the Stamp N' Stor Lightweight Storage Panels? And if so, do you use the tabbed or non-tabbed version?

Also, who has the best price (either by free shipping or price per set) on these panels? I need a million of these, so I need the best price! :mrgreen: Thanks!
SU! Demo Site, My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2008, 08:10 AM   #88  
Embossing Fanatic

I photo copy the "sticker" page of all my Stampin' UP sets before i mount them I make two copies, one is for a key that i place in the case, the other copy is hole punched and put into my binder under categories like: flowers, all occasion, christmas, words etc...

This makes it easy. I don't have to stamp each image on to a sheet of paper, and the name of the set is on the sticker sheet as well, so i don't have to write any set names down either. Better yet, now Stampin' Up prints the item # on their labels.

"I don't repeat gossip, so listen good the first time"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2008, 11:00 AM   #89  
Glitter Queen

Talking Index cards

Hi ladies,

Is there a way sort or pull out all the index cards? I have lots of stamps and want to put together a ring binder system but don't really want to first stamp each set. I've seen the index cards in SCS but am not sure the best way to get to just the indexes.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2008, 02:08 PM   #90  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodi LeVesseurView Post
I photo copy the "sticker" page of all my Stampin' UP sets before i mount them I make two copies, one is for a key that i place in the case, the other copy is hole punched and put into my binder under categories like: flowers, all occasion, christmas, words etc...

This makes it easy. I don't have to stamp each image on to a sheet of paper, and the name of the set is on the sticker sheet as well, so i don't have to write any set names down either. Better yet, now Stampin' Up prints the item # on their labels.
About a year ago, I too started photocopying the label sheet of the stamps before I assembled them. Then I discovered that most of these copies fit into 4X6 photo pages - you know, the binder pages by Avery that you can get anywhere. So now I have over 300 SU sets arranged alphabetically in the binder (with an index in the front) and it's SO EASY to flip through to find whatever you're looking for (and some that you're not looking for!). I use the 1X4 edge pockets to insert 1X4 WW c.s. with the title and number of stamps in the set (handwritten).
For older sets that I'd already assembled, I just stamped them on 4X6 WW c.s. panels. Only took a few evenings - watching TV during winter storms.
For the sets that are too big for the 4X6 format, which there aren't too many of, I just either cram as much as I can onto a 4X6 panel, or I make the panel a little bigger (4-1/2"?) and let it hang out a bit.
I hope this makes sense. I absolutely love this binder and wish I'd done it years ago - I'm using a lot more of my stamps AND it's prevented me from buying duplicates or new sets that are similar to old ones I already have. My stamping friends love it too - THEY use it whenever they come over!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2008, 04:08 PM   #91  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

I really want to make a binder like you describe in the post above, Linda!! So do you use a normal 3-ring binder? And where do you get the 4x6 page protectors? I'm trying to picture that....

I'm an SU demo and I might have upwards of 400 SU stamp sets!! Yikes! <G> I keep all my retired stamp sets too - and I DO use them!! <g>

Something I did when I started stamping was.... I made an index of just the sentiments. You know how you have sentiment sets, then there are sentiments in sets that are mostly images. I'd stamp all the "thank you" stamps on a page, all the "thinking of you/sympathy" on one page, etc. This is very helpful when you have a certain size or shape that you want your sentiment to fit in. You can also make a PUNCH index by punching your punches out of cardstock vellum (SU) and then you can lay the sheet over the sentiment and see which will fit which punch.
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2008, 09:57 AM   #92  
Polyshrink Goddess

I stick my stamps mounted or unmounted on the photocopier and then staple the sheets together!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2008, 09:53 AM   #93  
Matboard Maniac

Hi Susan, I really like your idea of the punch index - will have to try that too! I'm also an SU demo, and after a few years its so easy to lose track of what you have!
Anyhow, to answer your question, yes, it's just a regular 3-ring binder, 2" I think. The photo pages I think I got at Office Depot - they are made by Wilson Jones or ACCO, item #21460, 10 to a package. They have 2 pockets at 4X6, so that each page holds 4 sets images (both sides). And like I said, I have over 300 sets and still have room for many more in the binder. It really is a good thing!
Hope this helps.
Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 04:19 AM   #94  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

I used to have a binder where I stamped each stamp individually in whatever categories I created (i.e., flowers, animals, holiday, etc.), but it became way to hard to maintain - my buying habits were horrible.

Now I scan each label sheet and keep it on my computer. I use a free software by Adobe - Photoshop Album Starter Edition. I can add keywords to each image that I can search on - so when I want "flower" I type that in and everything that I've tagged as flower shows up. The bonus of this way is that my sets are still pictured together, so I can see all the stamps in a set.

I will say that there have been times when I didn't have my computer available to me (DD playing online) that it has been annoying that I don't have a binder, BUT I won't go back to that because it was such a pain to maintain and honestly wasn't that helpful.

I have over 200 SU sets, and probably that many other nonSU sets - that is a lot of images to comb through!

Help us create a StampinUp Gallery Index
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 04:31 AM   #95  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I'm at 400+ sets and think that I'm going to have to start with some sort of cataloging system. This thread is great -- so many ideas!

SU Creative Crew Design Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 04:56 AM   #96  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by kthamanView Post

Now I scan each label sheet and keep it on my computer. I use a free software by Adobe - Photoshop Album Starter Edition. I can add keywords to each image that I can search on - so when I want "flower" I type that in and everything that I've tagged as flower shows up. The bonus of this way is that my sets are still pictured together, so I can see all the stamps in a set.
Thank you so much for this idea. I downloaded it and started playing with it, and it is sooo perfect for this! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 10:13 AM   #97  
Embossing Fanatic

I initially had a binder with copies of the sets' and individuals' pictures. I even had a table of contents dividing the sets/stamps by categories--floral, occasions, backgrounds, etc. The binder began to become cumbersome, so I cataloged them on the computer in a data base that included name of set,type of stamp, company, etc. I then printed them out and put them on index cards with a picture on the back and filed them. The problem there is that you have to keep up with adding the new sets. When I redid my craft studio I was able to put the sets in drawers. I labeled each drawer with what was in it. I have a cabinet and some other drawers with individual stamps and they're organized by type. As far as remembering which "star" is in which set, I usually do. You'd be surprised what you can remember. I have a friend, who, after she gets her sets, breaks them up so that all the words are in a given place, flowers in another, swirls another,etc. I can't imagine breaking up my sets, but it works for her.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2008, 07:41 AM   #98  
Matboard Maniac

Before I put my SU stamp sets together - I resist the urge to rip open the box of new stamps and start playing - I take the label page that comes with the stamp set and scan it into my computer.
I then save it to a computer file of my SU stamp sets. Next I enter the Stamp Set name, number of stamps in the set, year, size of the box (why I don't know), which Catalog it is from, and sometimes comments (Hostess set, received free, retired).
Next, I copy the stampset name and number of stamps in the set to a file folder label in a large type with all capital letters and create a label or labels for each stamp set. I put this label at the end of the box, and place the box in my stamp armoire facing out so that I can read the label easily. I gave up trying to read the small, transparent labels that SU supplies with the set.
Then I assemble and play with my stamps!
Now I have a list, but I also have a picture file of my stamps so that I can scan through visually if I'm looking for a particular stamp. It's less bulky than a book, although not as portable, and has saved me LOTS of time.
I've made labels for my sister and my daughter, too, who also appreciate saving on eye strain.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2008, 08:56 AM   #99  
Glitter Queen

Hi,

I always save the pics of the stamps I buy on my computer while I'm ordering or scan them when they are here. I have a personal website only for my stamps and shapes. There I sorted my stamps by mounted and unmounted and firms. This site is only for me and my best friends and I think this is a perfect way of knowing what I have. If I sell some of the stamps I only have to delete the pictures and ready =)

Jay Jay
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2008, 09:28 AM   #100  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 267 Likes on 135 Posts

I am a visual person, so I have all my stamp sets--mostly SU--on open shelved systems in my office. I organized them by use--Christmas, Masculine, Children, Florals, Words, etc. I labeled the end of each clamshell so, at a glance, I can tell where each set is. I'm pretty used to it. It keeps me from buying duplicates, and lets me know when I need to purge a few--when I run out of room. It's not time consuming and it works for me. I think that's the key--finding what works for you.

Every experience God gives us, every person He puts in our lives is preparation for a future that only He can see--Corrie ten Boom
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2008, 12:31 PM   #101  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
Yes, I do group my stamps individually by subject each in separate drawers, but that's it. All sets get taken apart and put in the appropriate category. Unwanted stamps from sets get trashed.

Patti
I'd be happy to take those "unwanted stamps" off your hands! ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2008, 06:02 PM   #102  
Cardstock Collector

Default How I know what stamps I have

WOW! There are some really great ideas here!

When I get a new set of SU stamps, before I put the images on the blocks, I scan the entire "image sheet" into my computer and place it on a "page" in powerpoint. There, I add the name of the stamp set and a one or two word description of the stamps themselves. For example, Loads of Love would have: truck, hearts, flowers, tree. Then when I am looking for a certain stamp, I do a seach ... for hearts ... and every set that has a heart in it comes up! (I have my stamps in alphabetical order (which PP also does for me) on shelves in an antique jelly cupboard!)

I do the same thing with the cards I make for demos, classes and swaps, and for "everything but a card" (tags, bags, etc). Again, just one or two word descriptions ... real red, old olive, strawberry, scallop punch. (With these, I do take the time to type in the directions.)

I have a copy of my powerpoint "presentation" to use on my laptop that I take with me to my classes. My customers have a lot of imput as to what we do in my classes and this way they can "search" for an "image" or a card that uses a certain color card stock, saying, image, etc.

It sounds more difficult and time consuming than it really is. It took me several long days and nights till I got all of my sets scanned in. Now, when I get a new set, that's the first thing I do with them.

(For the sets that have already been mounted, I lay the wood blocks, image side down on my scanner, place a white piece of paper over them and then scan them. Works just as well!)

blb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2008, 06:23 PM   #103  
Inking Addict

Since my collection is only around 50 sets i have them all stamped on 8 1/2 x 11 paper then sorted (tabed) by theme. This helps my girls (ages 8 and 11)find what they need without tearing up my area. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2008, 02:06 PM   #104  
Embossing Fanatic

Hello,
My biggest collection of stamps is Penny Blacks, They are housed in plastic boxes that have a lipped tray.. almost 100 now

I have a list of the names of the stamps, but now reading these threads maybe I should write the numbers as well,

I wouldn't be able to make a mistake of buying two... But trying to find them is sort of a problem... but have the idea of stamping the images and putting them on top of the lids...

especially as i'm not very good at putting them away
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2008, 07:04 PM   #105  
Glitter Queen

Default Stamps --how do you know what you have?

Since I am new to stamping, I have appx 150 stamps, mostly Studio G $1.00 stamps along with some rubber stamps.

First thing I did was start an excel file cataloging all the stamps in alpha order. I have them stored in 12 x 12 plastic containers for the moment. I haven't made up my mind which way to store the stamps. Should I store them in labeled CD's or 8 x 10 baseball card sleeves, stored in an album? Haven't made up my mind as to whether I want to flip thru an album or just run my finger down CD's that are stored in a bookcase by category.

Any suggestions?

Rosalie, CA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2008, 08:44 PM   #106  
Rubber Obsessor

Not having time to read through every respon se I ahve no doubt that someone has already suggested this if not many more!

With an non SU! stamps I have to have afile with clear pockets in it and sectioned in to floral/words/young child/male/hearts/stars etc and within each section there may be other sections. Every time I get a new stamp I stamp it out, cut it out and stick it in the relevant section on a plain piece of A4. When that sheet is full I just add another page.

For stamps that fit in more than one section I just stamp it out as many times as I need to.

With the SU! stamps I have, when it arrives, before assembling it I photocopy the sticker sheet twice. On copy goes in an a% ring binder I have which is sectioned in to teh sections of the current catalogue and any retired sets go in the back and any 'mini' set stay in another section until I find out whether they are in the next catalogue or have become retired.

It doesn't solve the problem of knowing if you ahve a star or something in a particular set but it is very easy to whisk through and see what is there. I try not to hold on to any retired sets - try being the operative word - mainly I fail!

The second photocopied sheet I have I trim down and adhere to the base of the container of that set so I always know where each stamp shoudl be!

Lynda x
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2008, 08:52 PM   #107  
Stazon Splitcoast

I sorted all of my stamp sets by the size of the clamshell case and gave each size its own number series. When I get a set I photocopy the sheet of stickers that come with the set and put that in a binder. I have an index sheet at the front of the binder with the clamshell case number and its corresponding stamp set..It works really well for me. Now that my single stamp collection is growing I bought some large clamshell boxes and will sort and index them by company and stamp a sheet of what is in each box for the inside lid. I will then assign a number series to them as well and put them in my binder.

My Gallery http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=25291

I would be delighted if you checked out my blog: http://www.justforfun.typepad.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2008, 07:25 AM   #108  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have maybe 100 SU sets - not counting Christmas. Mine are unmounted in CD cases in 12 x 12 paper storage drawers. The outside is labeled with one letter for the category. My SU background stamps are mounted on a shelf in a cabinet. My non-SU (all acrylic except one drawer) drawers are labeled by company name abbreviation. My wood-mounted non-SU stamps are in a separate storage drawer in SU cases and I just know what companies' stamps are there.

I have a binder filled with the printed acetate sheets from clear stamp sets. One day soon I'll just stamp out images from all of SU sets and group them by category. Right now though, there's no hurry as it's not that many sets and the drawer categories really help.

Also, when I don't really have a chance to get in there and actually make something, I can steal away a few moments now and then and 'review' what's there. Like others mentioned, I don't think I can ever let it get to such an extreme that I don't really know what I have.

It's much harder to know with the acrylic sets because unlike SU, I haven't had hours and hours of time browsing and considering them in catalogs to the point that they are permanently etched in my memory!!

Also, a lot of the acrylic sets have many, many small stamps included and it's nearly impossible to remember all of them or what set they are in. If they come with an index sheet, sometimes I like to keep that with the set, so maybe I'll just make copies of them and have an instant index binder that way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2008, 07:38 AM   #109  
Glitter Guru

A lesson I learned the hard way ~ when I was first getting into SU I was like a mad woman buying as if they were never going to make another set... lol... so lots of times my sets sat unmounted for 3-6 months (plus I really despise cutting stamps). Even when I finally sat down to mount them, I didn't use them right away, but I would copy the sticker sheet to put in the plastic case so I could easily see what they looked like. I had heard on here about having a notebook index & my collection was to the point where I really needed one ~ so I finally sat down & started stamping..... sadly, one set that I had gotten from a long past mini (& it was long after the replacement period) did not stamp well, it had a dent in the rubber ~ not in the cushion, but in the rubber itself... again, sadly, because I waited so long to use it, I could not get it replaced... So, I learned a rather costly lesson... Now I *try* to use a set immediately when I get it (that being said, I have a stamp set that has never seen ink & I really should hop on it & hop off here...)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2008, 07:47 AM   #110  
Cardstock Collector

Talking

I SOOOOO agree with you about dog's feet!!!!!! We always say that the dof smells like corn chips!
Though my mom used to smell their dogs feet bc/ she said that they smelled like fresh grass :-) Even in winter!:p
Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin KView Post
I had a notebook, but never keep up with it so it's worthless now.

I don't have tons though and twice a year MINIMUM I go through to pull stuff to sell/give away, so that refreshes my mind as to what I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2008, 07:47 AM   #111  
Kookie Creator

I split all my sets up and store them unmounted in a binder (well 12 binders. lol). They are organized by category and then by theme so I no longer have to try to remember what birthday stamps I have- I just go and flip through 4 pages and see them all at a glance

Like here is one of my pages of owl stamps

Now instead of trying to remember that somewhere years ago i may have bought a tiny owl or that there is a cute owl mixed in with some flowers- i can just look at them all on one or 2 pages-pick the one I want and put it right back.

Easy Peasy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2008, 08:03 AM   #112  
Mad Swapper

Location: I live in North Texas, but my heart remains in New Mexico.
Default Keeping Track of Stamps

I use iPhoto (I'm a MAC user) to organize my stamps, etc. I copy the Index card from this site and add keywords (Christmas, Halloween, Southwestern, etc.) so that I can set up searches by keyword. I also have started adding the stamp sets of my closest stampin friends so that we can all share - and know who to borrow from! I also add pics of my cards so that I can keep track of who gets what card - that way no one gets the same card 2 years in a row (especially for Christmas, when I tend to fall back on my faves when I get down to crunch time!;) ). I'm working on getting them online, so my friends have access as well! If you'd like to check it out, here's the link:

http://web.mac.com/hallmans/Cards/My...ing_Stuff.html

Doing this has made me realize that I have way too much stuff! :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2008, 08:24 AM   #113  
Pearl-ExPert

I blogged about my system, here:

http://kathy-prettyinink.blogspot.co...een-up-to.html

and here:

http://kathy-prettyinink.blogspot.co...long-post.html

hope that is helpful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2008, 08:39 AM   #114  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCEmilyView Post
I keep mine in a 4 X 6 photo album. Each stamp set has it's own page, so it's easy to add and take away things. I've got a picture on my blog
http://stampingexpressions.blogspot....ng-lately.html
This is a great book. Thanks for sharing!

This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2008, 08:40 AM   #115  
Stazon Splitcoast

I dont know...I always get surprises..forget what I have and then it is like Christmas when I find something I forgot I had...lol. I just keep buying more...Yikes...
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2008, 08:44 AM   #116  
Rubber Obsessor

I open a page in Microsoft publisher and then copy pictures from SCS and paste them onto that page. Then I crop so I'm just saving the image, not the entire card. Then I shrink that so my images are all about the same size, write the name of the stamp in my text box beneath it and save to my "Stamp Index" file. I have a separate page for categories and manufacturers. (Stampingbella Kids, Stampingbella Fairies, Bellas, Fellas, Birthday (all companies) etc...) Once the image is cropped and shrunk it is just a click to copy and paste it into other categories.

Pages are then printed out and put into a three ring binder with tabbed dividers. I'm a fan of the sheet protectors, so I use them, too.

It's not scientific, and I don't have a way to look it up by keyword on the computer, but it is super easy and FAST!!! I wanted to do something for a long time, but couldn't stand the thought of inking and cleaning all those stamps, then putting everything away. This is much easier for me.

For those stamps that I can't find in the gallery, I stamp them on the sheet by hand. (There aren't too many that I can't find here or on a company website.)

Great thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 10:25 AM   #117  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile How I organize my stamps by company & category

Only because I�m neurotic when it comes to organization I do the following:

First, before a stamp goes down to my craft room (which reminds me I should update my gallery since my room has expanded and changed so much again) I scan it into my computer - Then using Adobe Photoshop Elements 6.0 I organize the images the following way. � They offer two ways to organize that I haven�t been able to find anywhere else and I�ve been looking for a long time. 1st they offer �Albums� with sub groups. And� 2nd is �Keyword Tags� � for me this is what makes this application so fabulous -

If you�re like me and have A LOT of stamps and getting this setup will be time consuming. I�ve been scanning my stamps for a few years now and storing them by Stamp Company so half my work was already done. But trust me when I say it�s soooo worth the work. And it saves a lot of trees since I don�t have to print out anything.

1. 1st I created an Album called �Stamps� � then created sub albums for each stamp company. I like to do it this way because I�ve been known to double buy � this gives me a quick glance of stamps that I already own from each company. It also help on the stamps that I buy such as Thomas Kinkade where I want to see close up details on the image - I don�t have to go searching � I just click on the Thomas Kinkade album � and I can see all my stamps and zoom in on anyone I need. I�m finding the older I get the more I use the zoom.

2.After I�ve created all the stamp albums � I then move to add �Keyword Tags� � I started by making a list of categories that I would look for a stamp for � such as {Artsy � Asian � Baby � Backs of Cards � Food & Drink � Get Well � Medallions & Stain Glass � Background & Borders and so on� } I can even created a master �keyword� such as Holidays and then create sub level listing all the holidays in the year under it. Oh, I love this application.

3.Now it�s time to start adding your stamps to your �Keyword Tags� � I started by clicking on the 1st albums in my list � by doing this images of all the stamps from the company I click on show up on my screen. I can drag the viewer to enlarge the images to get more detail or make them smaller so more images show on my screen. Holding down the �CTRL� key I start clicking on images that match a category I have set-up � when I�ve selected all the images I want to add to a selected category I just drag them over to it. What�s really nice about this is I can add multiple categories to each stamp � I have plenty of stamps that fit multiple categories and with this it�s a snap to find stamps I�m looking for. As you think of new categories � add them it�s no problem � then just click and drag the stamps over to the new categories.

4.The first of the three attachments that I�ve added � is showing �Album� view. Under each of the images you can see a little square and a small heart on most of them. (I�ve only used this for a month or so I still have some work to do) the square is showing that the images has been added to an album and you can see the tool tip showing what album it�s in.
5.The second of the three attachments is showing a tool tip next to the heart and its showing it�s been added to a Keyword Tag under three categories �

6.One of the things I really like about this is when trying to categorize my Stampin Up stamps because of so many stamps coming in one box � I don�t want to cut and paste each stamp individually and with the keyword search it�s the first time I�ve been able to find a way to organize them the way I wanted to.

7.The third file is showing the power menu that comes up when you right click on any of your keyword categories � if I were to click on �New Search using Watercolor � landscape � people keyword tag� I would see all the stamps that I have under this category.

8.Then when it comes to storing the actual stamps � I have storage containers and big drawers that I store them in the same categories that I have set-up in my keyword search. So it�s really easy to find what I�m looking for.

9.Oh, I almost forgot one of the best parts � After doing all this work to organize your stamps just about the worst thing that could happen is to have your hard drive crash � they have a backup and restore of the catalog. Yea!!! They offer this as a full feature 30 day trial � that I used for the full thirty days to be sure that it truly did everything that I was looking for it to do. The last thing I needed was ANOTHER graphics program. If you would like to download it and try it out here is a link to the trial software.

a.Windows link - http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelwin/
b.Macintosh link - http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelmac/

Thanks it in a nut shell � and I know I�m nuts but I have to have organization around me or my mind doesn�t work.
Attached Thumbnails
Stamps--how do you know what you have?-screen-capture-showing-album-view.jpg   Stamps--how do you know what you have?-screen-capture-showing-keyword-tags-view.jpg   Stamps--how do you know what you have?-screen-capture-how-do-new-keyword-search.jpg  

Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game
Old 07-03-2008, 02:44 PM   #118  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I also stamped images of my stamps and put them in a 3 ring binder. They are sorted by spring, summer, fall, winter. Then by specific catagories - birthday, sayings, animals, masculine, landscape etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2008, 07:53 AM   #119  
Embossing Fanatic

subscribing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2008, 12:02 AM   #120  
Rubber Obsessor

I have an excel spread sheet with the name of the set, the price, the item number, the number of pieces, date on the stamp and the retired date. he dates give me a range to look up ideas in the catalogs. I also make three photo copies of the stamp set stickers. One I use in a binder for the sets (I have them grouped into catagories such as Holiday, Occasions, Design elements, Nature, etc. by the set) I do not mount my stamps on wood anymore so I use one copy as an index for the CD I put the ez mounted rubber in. The last copy I divide into indivdual stamp images and put in a binder by catagory. This way if I am looking for flowers I do not have any phrases in that section, unlike the sets that are filed in the other binder. I have always done the binder for the sets, but I have just started the individual binder. It has worked out great so far. If I buy a set on ebay that is already mounted I do stamp an index of the stamps and then photocopy it for the binders. I do like the idea of scanning the image and keeping it on the computer and will have to check into starting that.

I seem to still have time for stamping and other hobbies. I have always been an organizer (books are all listed in an excel spread sheet, and bead crystals and delicas are all inventoried) My mom said I always arranged my sock by color before I even went to school. She wasn't sure if she should contact a shrink or just be glad they were put away. It doesn't take that much time if you keep it up. The only time it seems like a hassle is if I change my mind and want to have everything sorted differently. But if that happens I plug my way through as I can't seem to stop until it is finished.
Reply With Quote Likes