Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-31-2007, 08:22 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stamps that won't go out of style

Ok, I know it is anyone's guess as to what will be 'useable' in 5 years. But I am itching to order juuussst 1 or maybeeee 2 stamps. I am going through catty-withdrawal.

But, I am wondering if half the stamps I haven't even used, I should not have ordered in the first place. Yup, cute stamps, for sure. Stuff from My Favorite Things. Like the mice and 'have a gouda day'. But how long will this stamp last for style? I'd better get stamping some mice!!!!!! Along with a lot of my other stamps before they are yesterday's news.

Any suggestions on what you look for in a stamp with 'staying power'?

p.s. or should I not really worry do much about this....I make them a card with a 10 year old stamp....they don't know the difference.....:rolleyes:

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2007, 08:32 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

do not worry...be happy and stamp....they'll love your cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2007, 08:37 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Default go for what makes you happy

I do my best to buy the stamps that I think I will use over a long period of time. When the boys were little I tried to buy bkgd stamps and other sets that I thought I would still use when they were older. Now they are 11 and 8 and I am using them still. I allow myself one frivolous purchase per month of a set or single stamp that I just love because it's cute or sweet or flowery. And yes, these frivolous buys I hardly ever use but when I do, you're absolutely right -- the receiving person doesn't know or care that it's now "new". I think only if you're really big into posting your work does it matter -- I can totally see that people who are demos want to post "new" products, but for me -- it doesn't really matter -- I'd like to see a new forum where we give new life to old stamps -- some of them really come to life with new color combos!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2007, 08:46 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

[/QUOTE]it doesn't really matter -- I'd like to see a new forum where we give new life to old stamps -- some of them really come to life with new color combos![/QUOTE]

This is a great idea! SCS people, do you see this??? Such a good idea. And it would be fun to see old stamps, some of which many of us would never have laid eyes on. Hmmm...but then we'd be itching to get our hands on that stamp set!!!

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2007, 08:50 PM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I think about it this way. If I buy a stamp for $7.00 and I make 10 cards with it, you could pretty much throw it out and have gotten your money's worth. Hallmark cards are $3.00! Even if you bought cards at the doallr store, you still saved $3.00 using that $7.00 stamps. LOL!
Buy what you love and don't worry. I still use my first stamp set I ever bought 8 years ago!
Hugs,
Gina K.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2007, 02:20 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

I think stamps like the mice will last the test of time - they are just drawn with straight line and have cute sayings for the most part. It is more stylized images and types of cut/pen marks that tend to come and go. I noticed SU got rid of most of their whispy, side drawn images (like Give Thanks) and the puffy or folk art type of drawings (East Notes) and the woodcut images (Happy Occasions) (ack can't describe well but kwim?).

The flourishes and doodles that are so in now are trendy and will die out but I love them so and am buying them - hey things will eventually go full circle and come back in style. Think the rubber will last? LOL

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2007, 04:08 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think a basic alphabet will always be stylish. Sort of the Grace Kelly/Aubrey Hepburn look in stamps! -- clean simple lines. I also think that basic polka dots, stripes will always be useful. And, basic solid and line geometric shapes -- circle, square.

There are some quotes I have from Sage Advice (SU) that I love and will always use, regardless of whether the font is trendy. My friends don't know trendy from cute from whimsical, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2007, 05:08 AM   #8  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I think the stamps didn't go out of style.... it's just that MY style changed.

I used to be really into the "country" look (and still have all of those stamps). Recently, I had to make a thank you for a friend who is really into primative country so I made her a card from the "old" DD Branch set. She adored it. So... you can match the style more to the person rather than what's "hot".

On the other hand, there are some classics...like florals... that I can't see EVER going "out of style". One example is RIW, that is a classic SU 2-step stamp set... and roses will always be in style. I have the "old" DD Hydrangea and it's the same thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2007, 06:26 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

i buy and use what i love! i love what I love, you love what YOU love!

just like my style... my style is ME! you tend to buy (in general) what suits your style!

buy it, love it, use it! i don't think anyone cares how old the stamp is. (well- except SU!... they would like it if you only used NEW stuff. LOL)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2007, 07:31 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna CookView Post
do not worry...be happy and stamp....they'll love your cards!
That's pretty much my philosophy, as well! :grin:

However, if you're looking for a specific product line, that conveys timelessness, and strong classic design, then two come to mind for me:

Anna Griffin
Martha Stewart

I'd also venture to say that it isn't always the image itself, but the way in which it is utilized, that can also convey timeless, classic appeal, if that makes sense?

HTH,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2007, 08:02 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Smile Greetings

The stamps I use most often are "Happy Birthday". Unfortunately, lately I have had to use the stamp "With Sincere Sympathy" or just 'with sympathy' or 'heartfelt sympathy'. Also use the seasonal stamps of course like Merry Christmas, etc and Happy Anniversary (bought 1 big set just to get that stamp) and Congratulations.

I love the flower stamps and use them as often as possible. Also, the animal stamps and the tree stamps. They are my mainstay.

I do have some 'fad' type stamps which are cute and useful for Children's birthday cards. Oh, I also love stamps with sailboats.

95% of my stamps are SU.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2007, 08:08 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

I think SU "Lovely as a Tree" is a keeper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2007, 08:19 AM   #13  
Knit, Purl, Stamp

I have lots of stamps that I've had for 10+ years that I still use and love. Most of them are fairly detailed stamps from PSX (Personal Stamp Exchange). They are no longer in business, but you can still find their stamps at some stamp stores. They can also be found on Ebay. I'll link a few cards from my gallery...

My fave stamp evah - the lighthouse:

Fathers Day card

And one of my other faves - a heart:

Valentine

And my favorite Christmas stamp:

Noel

I think the key for me with all of my older stamps is that they are completely *my* style. I love and use them all the time. So my advise....get what you love!!

My Gallery
My Blog - My adventures in knitting
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2007, 08:48 AM   #14  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I know what you mean, but it seems like my stamps that see the least amount of ink are the ones I think 'This looks versatile -- I should get this.' The stamps I reach for again and again are the ones that tickle me. They might not have staying power, but neither does a lot of my wardrobe.

Liberate yourself! Buy what you like at this moment, and if you don't like it tomorrow, look on the bright side: more room for new rubber!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2007, 08:53 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by TruCarMaView Post
I know what you mean, but it seems like my stamps that see the least amount of ink are the ones I think 'This looks versatile -- I should get this.' The stamps I reach for again and again are the ones that tickle me. They might not have staying power, but neither does a lot of my wardrobe.

Liberate yourself! Buy what you like at this moment, and if you don't like it tomorrow, look on the bright side: more room for new rubber!!
Were you in on the Big Punchy Butt/leggings under skirts discussion??? ;) *chuckle*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2007, 09:03 AM   #16  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
Were you in on the Big Punchy Butt/leggings under skirts discussion??? ;) *chuckle*
No, but I just read through it. Hee! So THAT's why my shorts are harder to fit into this summer! Those doggone scallop punches!

(Phew! I was actually considering dieting and exercising for a minute there. That would really have cut into my quality time here on SCS... ;) )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2007, 09:06 AM   #17  
Knit, Purl, Stamp

Quote:

No, but I just read through it. Hee! So THAT's why my shorts are harder to fit into this summer! Those doggone scallop punches!

(Phew! I was actually considering dieting and exercising for a minute there. That would really have cut into my quality time here on SCS... ;) )
OK - is that the funniest smilie ever?????

((major giggles))

My Gallery
My Blog - My adventures in knitting
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2007, 09:08 AM   #18  
Gabfest Goddess

Oh, I really don't have a style at all. I just buy what I like and will use. I'm not much into the trends (if you don't count Papertrey, Cricut, Cuddlebug, & scallops!). I do, however, like to get new and fresh stamps every month or so. It helps me to get my creative juices flowing again!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2007, 09:10 AM   #19  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

I love that smilie!! I have also heard said "Do my pants make my butt look fat? No, your butt makes your butt look fat!" Of course if my DH ever said that to me he would be in the doghouse!!

Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2007, 09:29 AM   #20  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by GinaKView Post
I think about it this way. If I buy a stamp for $7.00 and I make 10 cards with it, you could pretty much throw it out and have gotten your money's worth. Hallmark cards are $3.00! Even if you bought cards at the doallr store, you still saved $3.00 using that $7.00 stamps. LOL!
Buy what you love and don't worry. I still use my first stamp set I ever bought 8 years ago!
Hugs,
Gina K.
This is a wonderful idea....now to somehow figure out justification for me buying 144 copic markers yesterday....Yikes....any takers on my bill???lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2007, 09:34 AM   #21  
Mad Swapper

The best part of who I stamp for is that they're all non-stampers...so I don't have to worry about whether or not it's 'in.' Of course, I prefer stamping with the newest stuff I have, but I have SO many sets that have only been inked once or twice, but of course can't bear to part with them. When I do get them out, it won't matter b/c for the recipient has no idea how outdated it may be. And chances are it'll come back...hello leggings under mini skirts. Ack!
Reply With Quote Likes