Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-13-2008, 05:39 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storage for 1000s of Unmounted Stamps

I am going through the process of unmounting my stamps and putting them all on EZmount, but am not sure what to use for storage. I started with CD cases, but I find these are quite limiting. What are others with LOTS of unmounted stamps using for storage? I was thinking the sheets in a binder, but I can't get a sense of how many binders it would take. I also like the idea of a box (i.e. similar to the Little Monkeys storage), but, again, can't get a sense of space.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Suzanne
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2008, 05:46 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

I put mine on acrylic pages and then sort by company etc. You can go to my blog and see past posts i don't know where exactly it is but i put pictures on ther ei think it was last month. I store the acrylic pages in just 8 x 11 3 ring binders. I am started storing on my su in CD cases which i have hundreds and now i am going to store them in binders too. So far i have i believe something like 18 binders full. Ex 1 bella one for hanna i have 3 for PB and i have 2 large ones for just my christmas stamps. I have one for Elzybells. I can fit 5 or 6 stampin up sets regular size ones on one acrylic page. I don't put anything on the back of the page because i don't want to dent my stamps.

See this thread i did post a link to my stuff on there.. Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2008, 05:48 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

I have quite a few stamps (maybe not 1000's, but I could be in denial! ) and I use binders - I put the stamps on transparency sheets and then in page protectors. They are easy to sort and reorganize if you need to (or if you get more). I have alphabets in one, flowers in one, assorted others by sentiment, type, etc. I really love this way of storing my stuff ... hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2008, 05:52 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

I am sure I have thousands of individual stamps.

I started with CD cases then progressed to document boxes and wasn't happy till I moved to binders. I keep mine on transparency sheets tucked in page protectors in 3" binders. I can fit 10-12 pages full in a binder (I think I haven't counted.)

So far I have 10 binders full:
Alphabets
Shapes
Things
Animals
Birds
Occasions (birthday and thanks)
Occasions II (sympathy, baby, friends, get well etc...)
Holidays (i will probably have to split this in 2 binders soon)
Christmas (I am sure that after this years Christmas releases I will need a second one)
Journaling shapes

I have some pages on my blog if you wanted to get a feel for how many you can fit on a page.
If you need more pictures let me know and I would be happy to take some more detailed ones.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2008, 06:10 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Default stampkeepers

Has anyone seen these from Inque Boutique ?
Has anyone used them?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2008, 06:32 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Mara - do you use regular transparencies from an office supply store? Is there a specific brand that you find works better. BTW, you can ignore my PM since you have answered my questions here. I LOVE your blog - thanks for sharing the pictures of your room. I saw the room at 2peas you mentioned and need to do that to my drawers as well. Hopefully this will help me realize I don't need a whole new room :o)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2008, 06:44 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Thanks for the compliment.

I realized that my studio is my sanctuary and it really behooved me to take the time and make it as organized as I can (well as much as I can for being in an unfinished storage area in our basement. lol)

There are some that work better than others. I just bought a second box and they aren't as thick as the first set I had but i don't know what I bought the first go rounds. lol

The ones I have now are 3M overhead laser printer transparencies and I do NOT recommend them. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2008, 06:52 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

I put mine in DVD cases - they snap shut so nothing will fall out, store easily with the name of each stamp set on the side and I put the stickers or stamped images in the front of the case (where the info about a movie would be) - - - best of all - I got all the DVD cases I could ever use for free from my local Blockbuster - they said they just throw them away -

My stamp sets look so nice all on my shelf in DVD cases.

Hope that helps someone -
Marian

I have lost 24.8 lbs since January 6th, 2007 - doing weight watchers.

I went to the SCS St. Louis / IL Stampede on April 21st!!!! wohoo! Had a great time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2008, 07:04 PM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

I have some of the 12x12 Inque Boutique Stamp Keepers, and I really like them. I was amazed at the number of stamps I was able to fit into one keeper. I currently have the keepers stored in a Cropper Hopper paper holder, which will hold about nine of the keepers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2008, 07:32 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Mara, I forgot to ask whether or not you have any on EZmount and whether or not they stick to the transparencies. I am in the process of putting all my SU and other stamps on EZmount, so that is important to me as well.

Thanks again,
Suzanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2008, 07:37 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have 1200 in 3 3" binders and it is pretty full. They are a mix of big and little stamps. I started with the cases SU stamps come in then went to cd cases and now the binders. I am very happy with binders so far. But find that if you keep them standing up some stamps start to slide of the ez mount. I store them flat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2008, 07:43 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Ok new to this. Do you have to put ezmount on all of the stamps or just when you go to use them? Then you just place them on the acrylic block? What is ezmount and does Michaels or Joanns have it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2008, 07:45 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

I use envelopes in the plastic shoe boxes. At first, I was using only one stamp per envelope, but that was a complete waste of space. I still keep envelopes separate by brand, but quite a few stamps fit single thickness in one envelope. I like that envelopes and shoe boxes are readily available cheap at garage sales and thrift shops. The locations of everything are accessed by stamped images in looseleaf notebooks by theme and company.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2008, 07:48 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

I had gotten samples of the Inque Boutique Stamp Keepers a few months ago. I was planning on carrying them on my site. The 8 1/2" x 11" will not accomodate UM's on cushion. The keeper is not deep enough. A UM on thin EZ Mount might possibly fit. I only tried the original EZ Mount and other cushions. The 12" x 12" will work with UM's on cushion. The 12" x 12" is old inventory and is a bit deeper then the new 8 1/2" x 11" stock. I do not know if there will be new 12" x 12" inventory and if they will be slimmer like the 8 1/2" x 11". I decided not to carry them because of this.

I did buy a bunch of the 12" x 12"'s to store all my stamps in. I prefer the larger size. I was storing them in a similar fashion but the boxes were smaller
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2008, 07:56 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjfcView Post
I had gotten samples of the Inque Boutique Stamp Keepers a few months ago. I was planning on carrying them on my site. The 8 1/2" x 11" will not accomodate UM's on cushion. The keeper is not deep enough. A UM on thin EZ Mount might possibly fit. I only tried the original EZ Mount and other cushions. The 12" x 12" will work with UM's on cushion. The 12" x 12" is old inventory and is a bit deeper then the new 8 1/2" x 11" stock. I do not know if there will be new 12" x 12" inventory and if they will be slimmer like the 8 1/2" x 11". I decided not to carry them because of this.

I did buy a bunch of the 12" x 12"'s to store all my stamps in. I prefer the larger size. I was storing them in a similar fashion but the boxes were smaller
I use the Inque Boutique Stamp Keepers for my clear stamps but not unmounted red rubber. I'm still looking for a storage solution for them...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2008, 08:48 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Stamp Keepers

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsalamonView Post
I use the Inque Boutique Stamp Keepers for my clear stamps but not unmounted red rubber. I'm still looking for a storage solution for them...
So , at this point, one needs to have two different systems for UM rubber and clear acrylic stamps. I would say then I would be best just using the transperencies even though the idea of the stamp keepers is a good one but not if it doesnt fit everything in an easily storable 8 1/2 x 11.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2008, 09:35 PM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

My unmounted storage system works extremely well for me. If the stamps have an index sheet, I make a couple of copies and laminate one to white chipboard with the double laminate refill in my xyron. If there isn't a register sheet, I stamp the stamps onto the white side of the chipboard, label it as to manufacturer and name of set, and make a couple of copies before laminating. The EZ Mount sticks to the laminate with no problem, but I also like to slip them into page sleeves (I purchase the ones designed to hold small booklets as they are a little roomier.) Since the EZ Mount is not sticking to the page sleeve itself, there is not the problem of the acetate interacting with the EZ Mount. I slip one of the extra copies of the stamp sheets into the page keeper on the back side so I have a quick reference to where things are located on the page without having to "read" the stamp backwards. I then store the stamps in a hanging file folder and punch the second copy to be placed in a binder. I started with this system because my work space consists of a heavy glass rectangle salvaged during a friend's move, placed on a couple legal size file drawers. I found four matching birch pieces (two file drawers, a rolling file and a lateral file) at a second hand store for a total of $150. Although I didn't realize it at the time, it was very serendipitous. The stamps in their individual hanging file folders hang freely and so are not being crushed by other sets in a binder. They are easy to remove and replace, especially since due to some disability issues, I cannot lift heavy binders off a shelf. And, I have four drawers available without even moving my chair. Pat
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 02:36 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

I put my Ums in sm baggies with their stamped image on cardstock inserted in each baggie. Similar images go into one baggie.
Then they are stored in the well acclaimed Targot Document boxes, labeled by theme and put on a shelf vertical! This is the best use, for me, of those boxes i thought 'I had to have'!
I do have some stamps in iris carts because I have more of that theme!
I'm working on my indexing now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 04:02 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

I thought I would add a word of caution. If you are using EZ Mount I would suggest not using transparency sheets. I did this with the first wheel I mounted on EZ Mount and it ruined the EZMount. I later read on various posts here as well as a message from the company that produces EZMount that transparency sheets will damage the EZMount. It essentially becomes a permanent bond with the cling side.

I currently have all my sets in CD cases. I am thinking about using laminated card stock for some. I saw some one here do it and it looked great.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 04:21 AM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobby18View Post
Mara, I forgot to ask whether or not you have any on EZmount and whether or not they stick to the transparencies. I am in the process of putting all my SU and other stamps on EZmount, so that is important to me as well.

Thanks again,
Suzanne

The EZ Mount company has stated that the transparencies will damage the EX mount.

I use Aileens tack it over and over directly on the rubber. And for acrylics they stick directly to the transparency.

I just popped my mounted stamps in the microwave for a few seconds and peeled them off the foam and off the wood block. You then need just a tiny bit of the adhesive to get them to stick to both the transparencies and the acrylic blocks.

Plus the glue is like $4 a bottle and can be found in Joanns and Michaels and Hobby Lobby unlike EZ Mount. Even after unmounting all my stamps I am still on my first bottle!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 04:31 AM   #21  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicole's MomView Post
Ok new to this. Do you have to put ezmount on all of the stamps or just when you go to use them? Then you just place them on the acrylic block? What is ezmount and does Michaels or Joanns have it?
deborah - EZmount is a foam cushion that sticks permanently to the bare rubber. the other side of the ezmount is slick, and sticks to acrylic blocks.

i don't think mike's or jo's carry it - most buy it online. i've used the CHF brand and have been happy with it.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:20 AM   #22  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobby18View Post
I am going through the process of unmounting my stamps and putting them all on EZmount, but am not sure what to use for storage. I started with CD cases, but I find these are quite limiting. What are others with LOTS of unmounted stamps using for storage? I was thinking the sheets in a binder, but I can't get a sense of how many binders it would take. I also like the idea of a box (i.e. similar to the Little Monkeys storage), but, again, can't get a sense of space.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Suzanne

Suzanne, I am rethinking the CD cases for all my Unmounted Rubber Stamps.
And Clear Stamps.

In fact I have started a putting my Clear Stamps from various Stamp companies in a 9x9 Album.

I've taken the Stamp and attached the Clear Film to the White 9x9 Sheet in the album. and hand written, What they name of the stamp set is or the Stamp Company.

This way when I open the Album I can see just what I have. and then can pull the White Sheet of Paper out with my Clear stamps. and then select my Stamp.
Set the album aside and stamp my image. Clean it and the replace it back into the album. and put it away.

I'm thinking about doing the same thing for my Unmounted Rubber stamps.

But only in a 12x12 size album.

Plus I can decorate my album any way I wish. Plus I can add Pages to the album

I took photo's of my Clear Stamp storage. and will download them later this week.

This way you can see just what I am talking about.

I'm just thinking that will work better for me. It might now for you.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 11:31 AM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

I didnt read all the posts so I hope this is not repeat. I have a friend who I would guess has 1000's of stamps. She has gone through unmounting and has put the ez mount ones on transparency type sheets, (they actually feel thinner though, so im not sure what they are) then in page protectors, but instead of binders, she has then in a couple of those two drawer clear filing cabinets and then uses the top of the short cabinets to put things like her ink pad rack and ribbon racks

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 11:50 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

I am curious as to why some folks are going away from the CD cases to 3 ring binders? Is there a problem with the CD cases or is the binder just easier? I am about to take the plung and don't want to have to redo anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 12:38 PM   #25  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm still happy with the CD cases. . .

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 12:45 PM   #26  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

I am curious as to why some folks are going away from the CD cases to 3 ring binders? Is there a problem with the CD cases or is the binder just easier? I am about to take the plung and don't want to have to redo anything.
I started in CD cases and while it did save room it was still relatively hard to find the right stamp/sentiment etc. Plus if you have a gazillion stamps you wind up with a TON of CD cases that you have to store as well.

Now instead of having 20 CD cases that I have to open and close to find just the right flower- I can see them all on a couple of pages.

For me pages are way easier especially since I break apart all my sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 12:50 PM   #27  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by eeyorefanaticView Post
Thanks for the compliment.

There are some that work better than others. I just bought a second box and they aren't as thick as the first set I had but i don't know what I bought the first go rounds. lol

The ones I have now are 3M overhead laser printer transparencies and I do NOT recommend them. lol
I teach and use my overhead all the time - I have noticed over the last year that all companies have made their transparencies "thinner." The thickest ones out there are specifically for copiers. They are also pricey - in the range of ink jet ones, perhaps a little higher. I have found that Staples. com has the best prices (but not in the store itself), and if you order over $50 it's free shipping.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 12:55 PM   #28  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

I also use CD cases. I am in the process of making a binder of the images for the stamps (which was not as time consuming as you would think.) I have dividers by theme in the binder and all CD cases numbered. Each image has the corresponding CD number next to it so I know where it is.

I hope to stop buying similar stamps using this method, and realize that while I have tons of one theme I have nothing for others. I am also finding I am using my stamps more, and each of them more frequently (I have over 200 CD cases, so this really was a long overdue project.) And yes, I have plenty of room for them...for now. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 01:23 PM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbindView Post
Has anyone seen these from Inque Boutique ?
Has anyone used them?
I actually went to my LSS, they work for the Inque Boutique stamps, but I tried to put a cling mounted red rubber stamp in them and they wouldn't stay closed and that was just with one stamp. That is what I wanted for my unmounted storage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 03:40 PM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Hi Deborah,

The reason I am looking at something other than CD cases is because I am going to separate all of my sets into themes. So, instead of having the SU sets together like they came, I am going to separate the images into themes such as snowmen, flowers, birthday, baloons, etc. Because some of these categories will have LOTS of stamps, I wanted to use a storage system where I could see more of the stamps at one.

I currently have my stamps in CD cases or in drawers (for those non-SU). I also had a book with all my SU stamps, but found I wasn't really using them. Hence, the new storage option.

HTH,
Suzanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 03:49 PM   #31  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

For me it is the same as some of the other posters - I wanted all of my stamps by category ... I found I was not using them or buying something similar because I forgot what I had. This way, I just open up the binder and see all of the similar ones together. I love having them this way!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 05:57 PM   #32  
Hardware Hotshot

As all of my stamps, wheels and BG's are unmounted, I use a 6 x 9 catalog envelope, sealed and cut in half. I use the lids and bottoms of SU and TAC clam boxes cut to fit or photo sleeves to put the stamps on.

I store these in snap boxes from Cropper Hopper and OTC. I can get about 54 sets in a box and I have 7 or 8 boxes full.

I do not use any cushion on my stamps, just spray Tacky or Tack it over and over. The ones with cushion and EZ mount will fit in the envelopes also.

This is a very inexpensive way to store stamps, you can stamp an index on the front of the envelope or use the SU stickers.

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 06:58 PM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

thank you so much for your responses,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

wow it makes sense the way you explained it about the pages.....I also want to seperate into catagories because that would make life so much easier. I have a laminator so I guess I could put on laminate page and then in a page protector

a couple more questions:
1. The su stamps I never mounted on wood, are they hard to separate from their foam?

2. Do you keep the original su case and stickers just in case some day you will resell them and need the set to be together? (which means more storage...ack)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 07:57 PM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

thank you so much for your responses,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

wow it makes sense the way you explained it about the pages.....I also want to seperate into catagories because that would make life so much easier. I have a laminator so I guess I could put on laminate page and then in a page protector

a couple more questions:
1. The su stamps I never mounted on wood, are they hard to separate from their foam?

2. Do you keep the original su case and stickers just in case some day you will resell them and need the set to be together? (which means more storage...ack)
Deborah, I found that the SU stamps that were never mounted are easier to unmount. I found the rubber would generally just peel off of the foam with no debris left behind. I did have some problems with some older SU stamps that I had mounted, but a couple seconds in the microwave generally solves that problem. I found the hardest stamps to unmount are the cheap ones from Michaels - those are going to take extra effort.

Personally, I didn't keep the SU cases. I was trying to reduce the amount of space needed for my stamps and didn't want to store them just in case. I find that I could never get enough for a stamp set that I would want the hassle of trying to sell it. If anything, I would give them away so it wasn't an issue for me. I have kept the stickers for the sets that I unmounted before they were ever mounted onto the wood. I am not sure I will use them for anything - I will probably just end up throwing them away since I will be organizing in theme and won't care what stamps were in which set.

HTH,
Suzanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 09:50 PM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

ty Suzanne yes that does help me

I guess my grandson will get the wood blocks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 10:38 PM   #36  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Quote:

__________________________________________________ _______

For me it's the Space. and if I use a Album to store my stamps in. Then I can take more of my stamps with me when I go to my Scrapping & stamping get togethers.

A friend of mine from my meet up group that I am involved in. Has done this with most of her stamps. I really like the idea.

The other reason behind my wanting to store my stamps in a album is:

The Old Style CD cases are becoming harder from me to find locally.
Plus the Cost is a lot less.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2008, 04:58 AM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

I will say that seeing just a piece of rubber is not as romantic as seeing the wooden stamp. I know it's the same image. I also hate not being able to see where I am stamping that is very hard. Can you see I still debate it in my head?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2008, 05:49 AM   #38  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

I will say that seeing just a piece of rubber is not as romantic as seeing the wooden stamp. I know it's the same image. I also hate not being able to see where I am stamping that is very hard. Can you see I still debate it in my head?
I guess I have never been in love with the whole wood block concept as I hated not being able to see where i was stamping.

Once I went unmounted- especially with sentiment stamps, I fell in love all over again.

Plus I find that I use them way more now that I have them all broken out by theme. No more trying to remember that some flower set had the perfect Thank You sentiment etc....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2008, 06:17 AM   #39  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 518 Likes on 233 Posts
Exclamation Transparencies NOT recommended!

I would like to reiterate what was said in the posts above about acetate and EZMount (or creative cling, or other brands of the same stuff). Acetate and the cling chemically react and permanently bond together. Transparencies are acetate and will eventually permanently damage your cling foam!

See this thread for more information:
Forums at Splitcoaststampers

I place my EZMounted stamps on cards laminated with laminating pouches from Royal Sovereign (got the big box from Sams). I wrote to them to find out if the outside plastic film was acetate. It is not so this laminating film is safe. As I understand it so is xyron laminating film, but I don't know who wrote and confirmed it from the manufacturer.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2008, 07:54 AM   #40  
Kookie Creator

Subscribing. I have tons of unmounted stamps since I thought buying grab bags at stamp conventions was an inexpensive way to grow my collection. However, I wasn't good about mounting and organizing them as I acquired them and now face working down a huge backlog so I know exactly what I have. So whatever system you choose to mount and organize with, just stay on top of it so you don't end up in my position.
Reply With Quote Likes