Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-04-2005, 04:58 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storing Paper Scraps

Okay guys, for all you organization freaks... how do you store all the scraps of paper that you want to use in the future. I have tons and I know if I don't put them where I can find them easily, I'll never use them.

So... let's hear your ideas.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2005, 05:01 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I store my papers in individual folders by color. the scraps just go in the front of the folder so when I go to get some of that color I see them first...and if the right size will use them!!! Anything smaller than about 2 x 2 gets tossed!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2005, 05:07 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Location: Where I can drink coffee from my Keurig and read from my Kindle

I keep mine in an expandable file (bought it at Target) and keep each color in a separate pocket. I also keep a pocket of patterned paper. I keep my neutrals in a plastic bin because I have so much of that and I leave that bin on my counter so I have instant access to it.

I'm not that interesting. Really.

"Motivation is what gets you started, habit is what keeps you going."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2005, 05:10 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I actually just sorted out all my scraps and organized them. I use to throw them all in to a draw in my desk, all willy-nilly.

I have all my cardstock stored into file folders that are in my desk drawer all hung up nice and neat. I then took a quart sized bag and sorted all scraps in each color into a bag and then stored them in their own color folder.

It has worked absolutely fantastic and I can't believe how much I actually use my scraps now. I use to waste so many pieces of good big sized pieces of cardstock if I needed just a little piece. But now, I check my scrap bags and I'm good to go.

You should give it a try.

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2005, 05:19 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

I use a photo storage box. It is separated by the large index cards. One section for each color - the index cards are labeled by the name of the color and a scrap of the color. I keep the index cards in the same order as my stamp pads within the color families. Scraps bigger than fit into this box go back in my file folders with the full sheets.

I keep this file on my desk. I find it to be inexpensive and easy to use. Since it is easy to find the color I want, I do use up my scraps. I learned this from someone on a stamping website - not my original idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2005, 05:22 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

It's a great idea to sort scraps -- even though my husband said I was being crazy psycho anal. LOL. When the scraps are organized, you don't waste as much paper because you know what you have and don't have to dig and search through piles! All my cardstock is sorted in hanging file folders -- one folder holds a color and its scraps. The scraps are kept in a sheet protector. I use a sheet protector, rather than a baggie because keeps it neat and flat. It also accommodates big pieces. I can see a baggie working nicely, however. Good luck organizing!

My Little Blog . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2005, 05:22 PM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

I don't have SU papers. Since mine don'e have names, I store the scraps by color groups (blues, greens, etc.) in file folders in my filing cabinet that is beside my stamp table. Whenever I work on a card, I check the file after I have decided on the colors to see if I have scrap to use. I agree with Maslex.....it is amazing how much waste you can use when you can actually find it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2005, 05:49 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

I don't have SU paper either but store my big collection of CS by color also in hanging folders in a wire open cart bought at Walmart. I put scraps of each family color in gallon size bags and dump them in a drawer. Most of the time I will reach over to see what I need there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2005, 05:57 PM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

I don't have room in my file folders to put the scraps along with the whole sheets of cardstock. I have a "book of colors," both the name and idea were CASE'd from here! I have 50+ page protectors (that fit full sheets of cardstock) all in a 3-in ring binder. I store each separate color of scraps in it's own page protector (plus white and vanilla) and just flip through the pages until I find the color I want! My kids love to use this "book" for finding scraps, too! I put my very favorite color group first, second favorite second, etc. This works great for me! Good luck finding the way you like best!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2005, 06:03 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurie FW
I have a "book of colors," both the name and idea were CASE'd from here! I have 50+ page protectors (that fit full sheets of cardstock) all in a 3-in ring binder. I store each separate color of scraps in it's own page protector (plus white and vanilla) and just flip through the pages until I find the color I want!
This is a great idea! I have a bajillion page protectors and more 3 ring binders than I can count. Can't wait to sort through all my scraps just thrown here, there, and everywhere and put them in my new book! Thanks Laurie and whoever you got the idea from! :smile:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2005, 06:27 PM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by maslex
I actually just sorted out all my scraps and organized them. I use to throw them all in to a draw in my desk, all willy-nilly.

I have all my cardstock stored into file folders that are in my desk drawer all hung up nice and neat. I then took a quart sized bag and sorted all scraps in each color into a bag and then stored them in their own color folder.

It has worked absolutely fantastic and I can't believe how much I actually use my scraps now. I use to waste so many pieces of good big sized pieces of cardstock if I needed just a little piece. But now, I check my scrap bags and I'm good to go.

You should give it a try.
I do the exact same thing....used to have them all in a big box, so one night after the munchkins went to bed, I put in my Harry Potter DVD and sorted them all out....took the length of the movie , but wow, I use them all now!!!
Old 06-04-2005, 10:16 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

I purchased an expandable file box from Sams for $5 and change. I then did the roygbiv thing and made a slot for all the colors but I put a solid color and then patterned after. So for example I put red scraps and then next slot red pattern paper and so on. The box has a handel and I can take with me to crops. My demo did one for regular paper and then for SU paper. It works so well and I use so much more scrap paper instead of cutting a 12 by 12. I used to just throw it all in a folder and would only look in the front and back for what I was looking for and then move on!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2005, 05:38 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Default sorting scraps

I have my larger scraps (are they called scraps when they are 1/4 of a sheet and more?) in folders by color family, at the front of each color family section in my filing drawer of my stamping desk. Scraps smaller than 1/4 of a sheet are in one of those smaller plastic storage drawer things--the two I have are 5 drawers high and about 6" wide (got them at Wal-Mart for $5.83, I think) The drawers are labelled by color family, though the bold brights have two drawers' worth, separated into the warm and cool colors. Other drawers hold neutral scraps, white scraps, tags, and specialty paper scraps. I DO use my scraps alot more now that they are easily found (and easily stored right when created) and right at hand.

I also have two drawers of one of those 3 drawer plastic units full of non-SU scraps in no particular order or size (they can be larger because the drawers are the larger size)--these are the scraps my kids can use for their stamping/creating, and the third drawer holds full 8x11 non-SU paper they can use for making their cards. It has kept them from wasting my good paper, yet be able to be creative on their own.

Last edited by lgulotta; 06-05-2005 at 05:43 AM.. Reason: added info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2005, 08:19 AM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

I do the zip lock bag in each color folder and I try to put scraps away in their bag as I cut and get them. I also check it my scap bag when i use a particular color so i dont cut up a good piece of paper for a small chunk. I have hanging folders in a metal rack with each color in one. The rack is on rollers and about 18 inches tall,, i have two color groups of SU paper in each rack,, it seems to work really well for me. As for white or neutral like vanilla or confetti, I keep those in a plastic shoe box as there are so many.. and I do seem to forget to check there when I need a small piece so that is not very effective. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2005, 10:38 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

I've tried elaborate color sorting systems and had them fail miserably... so I have two pizza boxes, one for solid color and one for patterned paper scraps. If I have a scrap that's bigger than about 6x6, I'll put it back in its original place (CS is sorted by color/manufacturer/collection, PP by manufacturer). Otherwise, it's into the box! I'd rather spend a few seconds digging for the scrap I need than have to spend ???? time putting the scraps away in the right place after every time I work in my studio.

(My kids love helping me sort scraps, too! My 4YO was sooooo proud of himself when he figured out patterned vs. solid.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2005, 01:02 PM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

I bought two sets of the plastic mini drawer storage units. One drawer for whites, ivory, etc. One drawer for each of the three color groups' scraps. Whole sheets go into hanging file folders in a plastic file folder holder!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2005, 01:39 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

I have a plastic shoebox sized container. I have sandwich ziplock bags with the color name on the front of each bag. Then I just line them up and I can easily flip through and find what I need. I do not use the lid since some scraps are really long. It doesn't look the prettiest, but it works well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2005, 03:03 PM   #18  
Crimping Master

I use hanging file folders, with the cardstock color printed on the labels, along with the actual color stamped next to it. I keep full sheets in the back, 1/2 sheets in front of those and all my bits and pieces in the very front so I know what I have when I open the folder. When I work on a project, I take out the three or four folders with the colors I'll be using so I can take out and put back everything as I use it. I don't keep itty bitty pieces.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2005, 07:14 PM   #19  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Scraps

I have a plastic container that is just the right size for the 8 1/2 x 11 cardstock. The container has a cover and handle on it so I take it with me wherever I go to scrap so that I do not waste paper. I have every color of Stampin UPs paper alphabatized in a manilla folder and labeled in there. After each time that I stamp or scrap, I immediately put all of my scraps in it's right place in my bin. I have found that I constantly go to that bin first and it works out great!!!!!

Thanks for sharing all of your ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2005, 10:18 PM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

I've got a large lidded clear plastic tub that I put all my paper bits into...not in any order just all tossed in together...but they are all little off cuts...now my "whole" sheets of paper I have organised into folders & another boxes...to keep them all nice & flat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2005, 10:31 PM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

I use the largest clear SU boxes and organize by colors: Reds / Pinks, Oranges / Yellows / Browns, Greens, Blues, Purples, Black / Cream, White, and Patterned Papers.

For larger offcuts, I use a multi-pocket file folder and the same sorting method. This works really well for me and is easy to sort what goes where. It also allows flexibility if one color group or another gets larger, it can be moved to its own section / box.

Full sheets are stored in a literature sorter (from Sam's), grouped by the rainbow.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2005, 04:10 AM   #22  
Abbe-licious

I have the 8 1/2 x 11 3 drawer chest from Wal Mart for about $5. I made a divider in each drawer out of a manilla envelope so it would be sturdy that way I was able to put 2 color families in each drawer and be able to keep them seperate. The bottom drawer is not divided, but kust holds all of my neutrals. I use a baggie for all of my quarter sheets and keep that in the drawer with the neutrals. Anything bigger than that goes with my full sheets of cardstock. Then I printed out labels on my computer in different colors and made a label for each of the drawers so I know right away what color family is in each one. This can sit right on my desk, and I use way more scraps than I used too. Best system I have tried so far.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2005, 04:31 AM   #23  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I store my 8 1/2" x 11" cardstock in literature sorters I bought at Sam's Club, two colors in each slot. For scraps, I have a plastic box photo frame that slides in the slot on top of the full sheets of cardstock. I buy the 8" x 10" ones since they are usually a $1 cheaper than 8 1/2" x 11" and I buy them at Michael's when they put them on sale. My scraps are right there where I can see them and I can slide the frame out of the slot and take it to my stamping table if I want.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2005, 04:35 AM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by plwwolfe
I keep mine in an expandable file (bought it at Target) and keep each color in a separate pocket.. . . .

I do the same thing! I think mine was called a check file. It's about 10" x 5" and I put different color families in each pocket: pinks, purples, etc. What I love about it is that it stands up when it's open, so I keep it right beside me on my table when I stamp. I look in there first before I cut into a new sheet.
Reply With Quote Likes