Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-13-2010, 06:25 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Studio G stamps at Michaels

Has anyone stamped with these?
What type of ink did you use?
Is the image clear?
Thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2010, 06:50 AM   #2  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I love their rubber wood mounted stamps, but I am not a fan of their clear stamps. (But to be fair, I am not a fan of clear stamps in general.) I use SU and Memento inks.

Here are a few examples of card I made, I think the images look great.

Here is a solid stamp

Here is a line art stamp

Just the sentiment on this one is studio g

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2010, 07:01 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

I use a lot of the Stampology (by Autumn Leaves) ink with my clear stamps. Depending on the stamp itself, I find that Stampin' Up ink will quite often "bead" on the clear stamps, leaving a splotchy looking image. But it's vise versa too, the stampology (which is specifically formulated for clear stamps) will bead on rubber stamps.

I have heard that if you find your ink beading on clear stamp, take some really fine sandpaper and lightly sand your clear stamps. I haven't tried it, so if you decided to, let me know how it works out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2010, 07:48 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I have had hit or miss experiences with them. I often find that the clear ones don't stamp a crisp clean image. Sometimes I get lucky though. I will admit, some of that may be user error since I'm not an experienced stamper. But, then again, if you're only paying a dollar for them...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2010, 07:51 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I love the Studio G stamps! Anytime it puddles it has been due to the ink.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2010, 08:08 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Like Linda, I love the Studio G clear stamps. I have quite a collection and have them all stored in trading card plastic sheets in a notebook.

The best ink I've found for them is Versafine Onyx pigment ink. I think there is a slight learning curve to using all clear stamps. You don't have to push as hard. They do take a lighter touch when stamping.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2010, 08:57 AM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Studio G Stamps

Trina,
You lost me with your message. Are the cards you made(beautiful work) made with rubber or clear?
Thanks
Also, thanks to those who have posted since, I will try the lighter hand and it sounds like a pigment ink might work better.
What a great support group!
Happy Stamping!
Brenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2010, 09:02 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I use a lot of them too..both wood mount and clear and love them....I have quite a large collection...better get going and use them all I guess...lol
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2010, 12:10 PM   #9  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLowesView Post
Trina,
You lost me with your message. Are the cards you made(beautiful work) made with rubber or clear?
Thanks
Also, thanks to those who have posted since, I will try the lighter hand and it sounds like a pigment ink might work better.
What a great support group!
Happy Stamping!
Brenda
Sorry, I didn't mean to be unclear. Those are all made with rubber stamps The ink on the first one is SU Classic. The second one (line art) is done with Memento Tuxedo Black. The last one is embossed, so it was made using Versamark. SU classic inks, Memento inks and Versamark all work great with the Studio G rubber stamps. I adore Studio G rubber stamps, I can't go through Michaels without spending time rummaging through them in the dollar bin!

Last edited by mnfroggie; 08-13-2010 at 12:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2010, 12:50 PM   #10  
Swapper of the Month September 2012

Cruise around the threads I remember reading a hint or two. I believe I have had hit or miss performance. Momento ink far outperforms SU Classic ink for images. I have had some luck using versamark and then colored ink on the images too. Only trouble is that you have to clean your stamp a lot or you end up with a messy versamark stamp pad. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2010, 05:20 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

I really like the Studio G stamps....the wood mounted red rubber ones are great and they stamp really crisp. Like many others, I've had mixed results with their clear stamps, though.

However, once I got my Versafine ink pad (only have black and red so far), many of my problems with clear stamps disappeared. S/U ink just doesn't cut it on clear stamps. I also make a point to rub an eraser on all my new clear stamps and that seems to help a lot.

But I can't stress enough how much I love my Versafine ink! It's certainly my 'go-to' ink now. It's sooooo black, I NEVER have a problem with coverage, fine detailed stamps look GREAT and it works fine with watercolors and pencil/baby oil, as long as you let it dry sufficiently. Even though it's a pigment ink, the dry time is minimal...

Here are a few cards from my gallery which feature Studio G $1 stamps:
CAS Sweet Pea Baby by kitkat55 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
CAS Christmas Poinsetta by kitkat55 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers (sentiment)
From the Heart by kitkat55 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Sweet and Serene by kitkat55 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers (sentiment)
Serene Noel by kitkat55 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers (Noel)

I still visit the $1 bin @ Michael's every time I'm there (several times/month) and continue to expand my Studio G collection....try them, you'll like them!

Blessings,
Kat
"Be Still and Know That I Am God" Ps. 46:10
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2010, 05:48 PM   #12  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Studio G Stamps at Michaels

Hi Kat,
I'll say you've mastered the Bow maker".Wow what perfect bows and the dry embossed flower is awesome!
Thanks for the tip on the Versafine ink. I'll have a look at Michaels the next time I'm in(and a quick dig in the $1.50 bin) too.
Happy Stamping and thanks for the inspiration from your gallery.
Sincerely,
Brenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2010, 01:43 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

I love the dollar stamps too...especially since I'm fairly new to stamping and card making. I've added quite a few to my collection for not a lot of money!

I watched a video on-line, I believe it was a lady named Stephanie...her suggestion was to put a piece of fun foam on your stamping surface. I tried it and it really helps!

I also use a white erase or a baby wipe to go over all the parts of the stamp before using it for the first time. I've also used fine grit sandpaper a time or two. I read that you can even just rub them on your jeans or slacks. I use baby wipes to clean them and have had very little staining even with using Stazon.

The ink does make a lot of difference. My favorite so far has been the Stazon black. I've also had pretty good luck with the stampology pads which are specifically for clear stamps. The Stazon ink gives me a very dark, clear image.

Hope you are getting some great stamped images real soon!! I was so frustated with I first tried to use the studio g stamps. Everyone raved about them and I couldn't get a good image to save my life!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2010, 07:27 AM   #14  
Inking Addict

I love my Studio G clear stamps - I have a great collection of them amassed now! Love their "sets" too!

I find that I like the Studio G inks best with their clear stamps - also I use a mousepad to stamp on - similar to the fun foam but mine has a hard top on the foam backing - clear as mud?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2010, 03:59 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Kitkat...love your cards...

I use the Colorbox Fluid Chalk Inks with most of my stamps these days..Love the results even with the $1.00 clear stamps.

blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2010, 10:54 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

I've just come on line after stamping for the first time with a new alphabet I got from Autumn Leaves...I love the font!!!!!!!!! I will try a lighter hand...as the image is tending to 'bleed'. I am using Memento Cocoa ink.
Good to hear about the Studio G...as I love the little sets of those, but have yet to work with the many I have not been able to resist! LOL!
Has anyone had just rotton luck with Autumn Leaves? Pulling them off their acrylic sheet is really hard...and I'm just wondering if I'm going to have problems with them losing their 'grip' now... (I'm used to the lovely MFT clear stamps which just seem less stiff)
I'm hoping Autumn Leaves are a nice clear stamp...as they have so many nice sets...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2010, 11:27 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I really like the Studio G stamps. As a matter of fact, I'm just about ready to swap out some cards for a Studio G swap I hosted on another board. I collect them, sort of like trading cards. I've cut down on them lately tho since I will probably never be able to use all the ones I have already. I find the trick to getting a clean image is to not have too heavy a hand with them, and to condition them. Sometimes, even conditioning doesn't help, so I'll use versa mark ink. I've even experimented and left the versa mark to dry, and then I get perfect images with any type of ink.

Quite a while ago, the Michaels near my house had the Studio G inks. They are 2" cubes. I've had them for months and just tried them out today and they work fantastic with the Studio G clear stamps. They were out when they had the Studio G glitter glues. I bought all the colours to match the glitter glue colours I picked up. Unfortunately, I've only seen them in the store that one time. Maybe some of you in the States have them at your stores there. They seem to be a hybrid type ink. They covered like a chalk ink, but dried fairly quickly and didn't smear or smudge when I rubbed it after it dried.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2010, 11:29 AM   #18  
Gabfest Goddess

The studio g clear stamps also stamp well with the SU! inks if you stamp in Versamark first.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2010, 12:08 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

i love Studio G stamps. I mostly buy the clear ones now (which you can find on clearance at Michaels sometimes- I got a bunch of the clear sets for 49cents each set). I use versamark onyx black ink on them and let it dry a bit. Then I clean/ use the stamp as usual, and I don't have trouble with beading.
The little sets of three or four clear stamps were my favorite, but now they have Soloz (one stamp) by Studio G. I really liked the size and coordination of the older sets... the soloz aren't anything too special to me.
I also use Canadian Maple something (can't remember, think its Company) stamps, they are the $1 or $2 stamps that AC Moore used to have (now they have Studio G). They are okay too.
I love cheap, but decent quality, stamps. They're a great way to 'fill out' my collection for a dollar or two. LOL, perfect example- I 'needed' a small beer mug stamp (DH brews his own in the winter, and I 'needed' a stamp to make invites and beer tags LOL), and found one in a St Patrick's day Studio G set. The only other beer mug I saw was in bigger sets of stamps, for $8+ a set.
I Don't really like the Studio G cards and envelope sets (8 cards/ 8 envies for $1). They are okay if you don't layer too much, and the windows (openings) in the cards are sized to fit the Studio G stamps, which is nice. But I add a lot of crap, I mean embellishments LOL, to my cards and the Studio G cards are thin and too flimsy to hold up to a lot of brads and things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2010, 12:39 PM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

The wood mounted stamps are exceptional in my opinion! They stamp just as good as SU, which are the stamps I mainly have. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE studio G! I use SU classic ink with them.
Reply With Quote Likes