Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-13-2007, 08:45 AM   #121  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Love the idea of 2 catty's and we all get so excited in July when the new one comes out! So this will be double the excitement. Not to mention that Sell-a-Bration will not be going away. Wouldn't it be cool if SU broke it up into 1 month in each catty period! Twice the free sets! I see this as win win for everyone, and SU as time to change with the trends so much quicker.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2007, 02:46 PM   #122  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by housefan
The Penny's catalog is many times bigger than a stamping catalog. It cost's $5 and they make $2.50 on them according to a Newsweek article I read on advertising. You also do not pay shipping or tax on them. Neither does the store. It is part of the company's advertising write off for taxes.
This is apples and oranges. There is a difference between retail and direct sales. There is also a difference between a company like Penny's and a rubber stamp company.

Rubber stamp companies have always charged for their catalogs. When I started stamping in 1996, I sat down with an issue of Rubberstampmadness and mailed away for catalogs, nearly every one of which I had to pay for. None of them even approached SU!'s catalog as far as samples and ideas go. Most of them were black and white, offset printed copies...heck, you were lucky if they even did anything more than staple the top left corner...if they even put a cover on the thing you felt like you were getting something amazing. ANd every page had simply images of the stamps with prices and item numbers, nothing more. I paid anywhere from $2 to $8 for these things.

The only stamp company catalog that comes close the the SU! catalog (other than TAC or CTMH) is Hero Arts. Hero Arts charges for their catalog. The only way to get one free at my LSS is to buy $50 worth of Hero Arts stamps and only when the new line first comes out...after that, you have to pay $10 for it and it doesn't have nearly as many as samples as ours does.

And I want to point out that SU! gives you access to the online catalog. You don't HAVE to buy it if you don't want to. People who buy the catalog buy it because it's an idea book. I sell them at my cost and once people realize what a gold mine of ideas they are, they are happy to buy them.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2007, 02:59 PM   #123  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 117 Likes on 98 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by housefan
I think the assumption is that if we have twice as much to want, that we will buy twice as much and the demos will make twice as much in the end.
I completely disagree with this assumption!

I won't spend any more than I do now, but I will be happier to have more choices.

I don't know any sane person who would suddenly expect their customers to suddenly double their spending! Sheesh.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2007, 03:16 PM   #124  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInk
And I want to point out that SU! gives you access to the online catalog. You don't HAVE to buy it if you don't want to. People who buy the catalog buy it because it's an idea book.
While I completely agree with most of your statement, I have to point out that if knowing the actual size of the stamped images is important to you (general), which it is to a lot of people, then the online catty isn't much help, as the images aren't shown actual size in the online catty. In order to get an exact idea of image dimension, purchasing the physical catty is the only way to go. Unless I'm missing something LOL, which wouldn't be unusual. ;)

As for the whole idea of bi-annual catties. I think like all things, it has it's pros and cons. On one hand, this brings SU up to a truly competitive speed along side the other catalog stamping companies by offering more selection in a shorter time period. As previously stated, it also helps SU respond to industry trends in a more timely manner. It could also create a hightened sense of urgency, as many sets/items won't be available as long as they are now and therefore some customers might feel compelled to purchase more. However, the added expense of another catty for demos to purchase could be an issue for some. As well as the inconvenience of having to flip through two catties in order to find certain stamps sets, as well as cross-referencing them with the retirement list, yadda, yadda, yadda. All in all, it should be interesting to see just how all of it plays out. ;) Just my humble .02......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2007, 04:39 PM   #125  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
Generally, if you signed up under a good upline, she should be able to help you -- for one thing you can buy the hostess sets ahead of time and not have to earn them. A 1400 party is most unusual. If you go to the demo portion of the SU website and look at old On Stage magazines you'll see that the average party is well under that amount. The idea is to have folks at your party book another party. Also, if you haven't done so already, sign up under the demo section of this website. The demos there are very generous with ideas and encouragement. Good luck

by the way, where in Northern Va are you? I'm in Annandale.
My upline is great. I'm sure she'll help me, but i've never heard of a $1400 party before.

I'm just waiting for my demo number from SU! before i join the demo portion of this website. I can hardly wait!!

I'm close to Annandale, I'm in Falls Church...very close to Merrifield.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2007, 04:43 PM   #126  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose
I completely disagree with this assumption!

I won't spend any more than I do now, but I will be happier to have more choices.

I don't know any sane person who would suddenly expect their customers to suddenly double their spending! Sheesh.
Yes, that is exactly what I said!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2007, 06:02 PM   #127  
Insane Embellisher

I give up. I am going to have to start saving my change so tht I can buy all the things I know I will like in, HELLO, TWO catalogs!!! I think I need a second job... :( (yay stampin' up!! I love catalogs. *sigh*)
Victoria
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2007, 06:06 AM   #128  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At CTMH we have new catalogs THREE times a year and it's wonderful!! Every four months there is something new to look forward too I wpould think everyone who likes SU will enjoy having a new catty more often.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2007, 08:20 AM   #129  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pr31stamper
I give up. I am going to have to start saving my change so tht I can buy all the things I know I will like in, HELLO, TWO catalogs!!! I think I need a second job... :( (yay stampin' up!! I love catalogs. *sigh*)
Victoria
I could be wrong, but I think this statement right here is why Housefan thinks that the assumption is, if we have more to choose from, we spend more. In reading all of the different threads, especially by the ones who seem so excited about MORE catalogs, MORE choices it seems that most of the gals are MORE in a buying mode than in an actual stamping mode.

I have said this before, but I have 20 commited gals in my hostess groups
who buy monthly and the reason they commited to SU is because they like the way things were done. One catalog with almost everything they need in it, great ideas and a wonderful choice of stamps and they could make their budget and plans for the catalog year. The minis were an added bonus for more choices if they wanted, but most of them stuck to their original plans from the main catalog. They did not like the way the "competition" did things, they did not like their catalogs and they did not like their stamps. These ladies are all avid stampers, not just buyers and they really appreciated it when SU went back before to putting everything in ONE catalog. All of us felt that there really was no competition to SU, that they were way ahead of the game in selling quality products at a reasonable price. One thread here said that SU was now doing the right thing by keeping up with the Jones. We say, we do not WANT this great company to become one of the Jones.

It is true, their catalog at present is one of the best "idea books" on the market. That is why as a demonstrator, I did not mind buying and giving them for free to my hostess groups who are committed to purchasing monthly. What I am concerned about now, is having to do this twice in one year for the same cost to me but still earning the same percentage as before.
I know these ladies who I am been stamping with for close to 6 years now.
They are not going to be buying MORE just because there are now more choices. I do not even expect them to. I also do not want to have to deal with the retired list twice a year. I don't care if it is going to be the same amount retiring, but broken up as one lady put it. For one thing, you don't really know that. What we do know is that it is going to happen twice and of course that means sets will be retiring sooner than they did in the past.

Now, while I may not be bring in tons of money to SU, I do bring in steady consistant sales to them each month with the 20 gals committed to buying monthly. One of the groups has always consistantly bought way more monthly than what they were commited to buying. I know from reading all the different posts that I certainly am not the only demonstator who has hostess groups. I just feel that more thought and consideration needs to be given to all the demonstrators who have groups that are committed to consistant montly purchasing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2007, 08:42 AM   #130  
Glitter Guru

I read a couple of years ago a blog from the owner of an online store about the nature of the scrapbook/paper crafting business. I think it was either two peas or scrapbook.com but I can't be sure.

Her observation the business was driven by the two major trade shows every year. All the major scrabook/paper crafting companies want to have the next great thing at each of these shows so are forced to come up with new and exciting products every six month. That meant that a lot of trends in the business are short lived because a new one will be a long at the next show. So I guess it doesn't surprise me that SU is going this direction too.

She was actually frustrated by this because she would go to a trade show and place an order for the "hottest" things and by time she got it in her stock and people were starting to catch on to it, she would be off to the next show and would have to start all over again, clearing out the "old" stuff to make way for the new. I wish I had saved the article, because it really was very insightful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2007, 09:52 AM   #131  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapshappen
I read a couple of years ago a blog from the owner of an online store about the nature of the scrapbook/paper crafting business. I think it was either two peas or scrapbook.com but I can't be sure.

Her observation the business was driven by the two major trade shows every year. All the major scrabook/paper crafting companies want to have the next great thing at each of these shows so are forced to come up with new and exciting products every six month. That meant that a lot of trends in the business are short lived because a new one will be a long at the next show. So I guess it doesn't surprise me that SU is going this direction too.

She was actually frustrated by this because she would go to a trade show and place an order for the "hottest" things and by time she got it in her stock and people were starting to catch on to it, she would be off to the next show and would have to start all over again, clearing out the "old" stuff to make way for the new. I wish I had saved the article, because it really was very insightful.
Wow, that makes sense and it also answers a question as to why I have seen 3 paper/craft shops close in the last year in my area. I think what you said is exactly what I am trying to say. I hate to see SU become "trendy".
I am already starting to see that in cards even. What was popular a year ago is now no longer even being talked about. That is sad. I think stamping is an art like any other form of art, it should not be allowed to become trendy by the marketing side like clothing fashion has become. When that happens it no longer is an art but a contest (usually within ourself). That is why I stay away from all the craft magazines because there is always something new that tells you that you must have it in order to do better at what you already do well. But, I guess it is the stampers (or maybe I should say the buyers of stamping supplies) that allow the trend to happen. I do not think that true stampers get that caught up it in all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2007, 10:24 AM   #132  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Along these lines, my Mom asked me today if craft "stuff" is always being replaced with the next new thing. I was bemoaning the rumor that the Cricut is going to come out with a 12 x 12 in a month or so, making me feel like I don't have the "best."

At some point, we all have to get a grip on our spending (I'll let you know when I do) and learn to enjoy what we have and not freak out at what we don't have. So, along those lines, I'm thrilled that there will be 2 SU catties and less minis.

So there is more new stuff. Stuff I'll never get. I won't feel left out because I couldn't afford all the stuff I liked. I'll enjoy watching all my fellow SCSers make awesome stuff and maybe I'll get a chance to buy some stuff used! I'm psyched. I'm very psyched.

By the way, I just noticed another stamping catalog and idea book. It is $16.00 and boasts "10 card ideas." I'll happily buy 2 SU catalogs (but I'd wait to see a mini online). But, I also respect the concerns that demos may have. You got to love your demo!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2007, 12:26 PM   #133  
Die Cut Diva

This sounds sooo cool! The day I get the new Stampin Up catalog is one of my favoritist days of the year and now I get to have that TWICE!!!! I'm so happy.
Isaiah 40:31
check this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2007, 12:53 PM   #134  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
Along these lines, my Mom asked me today if craft "stuff" is always being replaced with the next new thing. I was bemoaning the rumor that the Cricut is going to come out with a 12 x 12 in a month or so, making me feel like I don't have the "best."

At some point, we all have to get a grip on our spending (I'll let you know when I do) and learn to enjoy what we have and not freak out at what we don't have. So, along those lines, I'm thrilled that there will be 2 SU catties and less minis.

So there is more new stuff. Stuff I'll never get. I won't feel left out because I couldn't afford all the stuff I liked. I'll enjoy watching all my fellow SCSers make awesome stuff and maybe I'll get a chance to buy some stuff used! I'm psyched. I'm very psyched.

By the way, I just noticed another stamping catalog and idea book. It is $16.00 and boasts "10 card ideas." I'll happily buy 2 SU catalogs (but I'd wait to see a mini online). But, I also respect the concerns that demos may have. You got to love your demo!

Great attitude! What we don't buy,we can enjoy watching fellow SCSers make awesome stuff with. I love that!
I haven't bought much from the new catalog yet. I've been buying what I like out of the minis, and buying supplies. I'm not going to feel bad about what I don't get, but enjoy the creations here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2007, 12:58 PM   #135  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInk
10% sometimes means that SU! breaks even, sometimes they lose money...for instance:

I just got a shipment from SU! that weighs 21 pounds. The workshop total was $311.30, so I paid $31.13 to have this shipped.

Looking at the UPS website, it costs $23.52 to ship a 21 pound package from Riverton UT to my house in Michigan. So there is a difference of $7.50.

But shipping isn't just shipping...it's also handling. I don't know how much the people who pack the shipments and prep them for shipping, but I would be surprised if it's as low as $7.50 an hour. If you figure it must take 2 or 3 people 20 minutes to get a shipment reading for UPS, then yes, SU! is breaking even on my box.

2nd Day air was $85! SU! only charges $20 extra for 2nd day air, but I would pay only $51 for this option. They are losing money there.

A lot depends...an order for paper would probably make a profit on shipping, whereas punches and stamps weigh a lot and probably lose them money.
One thing you have to consider is that I SERIOUSLY doubt SU paid the retail price you quoted above. I work for a direct marketing company and we ship alot of packages. We have a a contract with Fed Ex/UPS for 50% off the retail price so even though it may not be a huge money maker for them, they are surely doing better than breaking even.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2007, 01:08 PM   #136  
Kookie Creator

I understand how you feel about changing catalogs twice a year; about having a new Cricut model coming out just after you have bought. I was in the computer field for 20 years - try that for size and see what change is all about!!! The only thing that is constant in this day and age is change!
SU needs to be "up there" and I am thrilled that there will be 2 catalogs plus a few other changes. I believe what is more important that each one us us (artist, crafter, stamper) needs to know and understand oneself; know your own style; you do not need every single "latest gizmo" unless you are selling you art/cards etc. and therefore also need to be aware of market trends.
Enjoy your stamping for what it is(hobby, passion, addiction(me!!)) - you don't have to keep up with with the Joneses!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2007, 01:46 PM   #137  

Quote:

Originally Posted by stillstampin
I understand how you feel about changing catalogs twice a year; about having a new Cricut model coming out just after you have bought. I was in the computer field for 20 years - try that for size and see what change is all about!!! The only thing that is constant in this day and age is change!
SU needs to be "up there" and I am thrilled that there will be 2 catalogs plus a few other changes. I believe what is more important that each one us us (artist, crafter, stamper) needs to know and understand oneself; know your own style; you do not need every single "latest gizmo" unless you are selling you art/cards etc. and therefore also need to be aware of market trends.
Enjoy your stamping for what it is(hobby, passion, addiction(me!!)) - you don't have to keep up with with the Joneses!!
This is beautifully put.

SU! makes their decisions for business reasons, which hopefully take into account demos and customers.

And WE the stampers (well, okay, I'm a hobby demo) have to make OUR decisions based on our budgets, and lives.

I mean really, would you seriously blame SU! for "making" you spend more money?

As a hobby demo, I have three friends that stamp with me and order. If I don't make enough in commission (now that the minimum is higher) to pay for our box of catalogs, then they know they'll pay for them - and I'll only charge them what it costs me. I'm willing to get a box, because I have a couple of family and friends across the country that I send one to.

For me, it's all about having more CHOICE.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2007, 03:41 PM   #138  
Die Cut Diva

I think 2 catalogs per year is exciting! I have a workshop scheduled for next month, as I always do. I have done this since my first workshop years ago, this way I get to combine my bday with SAB. But seriously, I love the idea of getting twice the amount to choose from! It was a serious stretch for me this time to get my wishlist together for my party- I already have almost all the pads, and buy my markers as it strikes me. I can't wait!!!!!! I don't mind paying for them either, my demo even gives us one for signing up to have a party- but I still pay her for it- so she doesn't lose out.

I have the coolest sister in the world, navybrat75!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2007, 11:16 AM   #139  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnlnkids
While I completely agree with most of your statement, I have to point out that if knowing the actual size of the stamped images is important to you (general), which it is to a lot of people, then the online catty isn't much help, as the images aren't shown actual size in the online catty. In order to get an exact idea of image dimension, purchasing the physical catty is the only way to go. Unless I'm missing something LOL, which wouldn't be unusual. ;)
I just wanted to respond to this particular point, because I found this out sort of by accident, but there is a way you can find out the actual size of the stamps in the on-line catty. Here is what you do. Flip to the page where the set appears in the catty. then click on that set. this will take you to a separate page with just your set and the price, etc. Now, in the box where the images are, you may not be able to see all of the images, but there is a button that says "larger image". If you click on that you get a full size page with the entire image of the set. You can print this page to get an idea of the actual size of the stamps.

Now, printing an image of every set at home would probably be a lot more expensive (in terms of ink and paper) than buying the catalog (or, better yet, getting one for free by hosting a workshop or joining a hostess club), but it helps when you're looking for something specific.

Overall, though, I think the Idea Book & Catalog is a great value, because of all the ideas, and I'm very excited about having new ideas come out every six months!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2007, 11:30 AM   #140  
Crimping Master

Hello all ~
I just found this thread and don't have the time to read all the posts so forgive me if this has already been covered -
So having two catalogues will be basically the same as now - some sets will retire, others will be returning, new hostess sets, etc.? Sounds exciting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2007, 01:12 PM   #141  
Mad Swapper

My choice is to buy the two cattys a year (if my demo gives me them for free thats great, if not I'll fork over the money) and pour over them until I put them to memory. I love the catties and could read them over and over.

I spend more money from seeing/hearing about things here than I do from seeing new things in the catalog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2007, 02:52 PM   #142  
Mad Swapper

This thread is so interesting. I wanted to thank the demos who have commented here to share with the rest of us.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the two catties - like someone said - I love the SU catalog because I love to have the one source that i know will be good for a year. I'm so behind the times that i find the CTMH catalog too confusing and not as spiffy as SU's. JMHO I am not a demo - have never been one.

I don't mind paying retail prices for the SU catalogs and when I get a chance to have them at a demo's cost - I like to have two copies. Just my own thing. I frankly don't understand why there's a need for two catties. Surely, SU, can't be THAT great that these 200+ pages will mean MORE or rather, that much more in terms of stamp sets. Perhaps, more creative samples from each set to fill some pages, with a handful of new/trendy things. But, to do this and get ready for distribution they would also need to be ahead of the game. People are talking about CHA? sometime this month - if SU doesn't have the same trendy ideas as the others - what's the diff since their catalog will have already gone to print and we'd all be waiting to receive them?

Why can't the company use their minis to come up with anything they might have missed in terms of trends? And, why would I need a teaser or whatever it is called to see what's coming up if I can't buy it when it is revealed?

As a lover of the SU products I see this as SU going all out and most customers would be overjoyed... but what on earth does this mean for the faithful, beloved, hobby demos who really have done their share of supporting the company all these years? If I were a demo and had stamp clubs and regular customers, I would have to rethink my business strategies but as a hobby demo, where does that leave me?

I see this as the very successful uplines becoming even more successful and the hobby demos eventually having to hang it up because you can only buy so much until you have it all.

The special for former demos or customers that have a lot of product - or rather - anyone who chooses to sign up is good for a set period for $99. Is this true for anyone who wishes to sign up? Now, if you are a demo, would you encourage your customer(s) to take advantage of this special? Doesn't this have a snowball effect? Does this change the quarterly minimums for an upline? Please clarify for me a I just read this info on a blog about customers being able to do so. I just saw that as a poor signof support in terms of the demos who barely meet the quotas, year after year but have contributed humongously in where SU is today.

Just my 2 cents. And yes, Joan - love my demo!

Lynn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2007, 07:47 PM   #143  

Hi Twinks! As a real hobby demo, I'll share just a couple things.

If I were trying to make this a business, and a hobby demo because I couldn't, then it would be worse, as I'd be wanting to have new catalogs, yet no guaranteed outlet for them. In that case, I'm not sure what I'd do.

But I got in this for the discount for myself and a couple friends. Every now and then I actually sell $400 in a month (they are GOOD friends!) and make a commission. I told them that if I make enough in the year, I'll get them their catties for free. They have offered to pay for them, but I don't want to charge if I don't have to. But if I do, I'll only charge them my cost.

So that's my take on it.... I think the struggling demos are the ones who will end up soul searching.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2007, 08:17 PM   #144  
Mad Swapper

Thank you, Stampin Wrose
Appreciate your sharing, I get it now. I must remember that many become demos to see where their excitement takes them if you work the business and are lucky to set up those stamp clubs, etc. and have a steady flow of the occasional shopper.

I am in a group such as yours and am perfectly content the way it is, but worried about how this will all affect the hobbyists. I love what my demo extends to us in the sharing of information, the speed with which she handles our questions and orders, etc. but more importantly, the friendship that has developed over time. We've managed some great sales months for her as well. I guess I'm just old fashioned. On the one hand, it is so great that a small home-based business thought up by two sisters has grown so big that it is dipping its feet internationally and on the other, I wonder where all these new steps will take them and how many faithful will be able to keep up with the pace.

thanks again,
Lynn
Reply With Quote Likes