Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-06-2008, 07:30 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SU Markers - What am I doing wrong?

I borrowed the whole set of SU markers from a frined and when I color I am seeing lines/streaks.It seems if I have to color a larger area the overlap lines show. Is this normal. Also, I can not get them to blend well. I was under the impression I could outline the stamped image than "pull" the color outwards/towards the center and have it look like it is shaded. I normally use prisma pencils and boby oil and can achieve this effect. Got any tips or suggestions.

Thanks for your help.

My Gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 07:32 AM   #2  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I use a blender pen when I color with the markers. You can either outline the stamped image like you said, but you use the blender pen to pull the color. I scribble the marker onto something like aluminum foil or something non-porous, then pick up the color with the blender pen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 07:41 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Smile

I think that if you outline the whole image and then go back to "pull in" the color, the ink will have dried by then. Water based markers dry very fast.

Try outlining only small sections at a time and working with that section.

Another way would be to put color from the marker on the tip of your blender and then color. Keep taking the color from different areas of the marker because if you do not, then that area of the marker will get very light. All that means is the ink is being used up in that section and waiting a while for the ink to run down from the barrel will remedy this. However, it slows down your progress.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 07:43 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

also make sure you are using premium paper to stamp on - that makes a HUGE difference
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 07:47 AM   #5  
Watercolor Wizard

Here is a wonderful tutorial showing you how to blend using SU Markers... how to get the Copic look.

http://paperpleasing.typepad.com/my_...ics-no-pr.html

;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 08:06 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

The SU markers aren't really meant for coloring large areas well. The tutorial about getting the copic look is great, but it is watercoloring.

I have had 2 sets of SU markers over the past 5 years and sold both because I could not get satisfied with the look, no matter what technique I did. The colors simply aren't meant for shading or art, they simply match the SU colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 08:14 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Try making the gesso paper, the markers blend awesome with that, but I have had good luck just layering the color from lightest to darkest.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 08:16 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I really use my markers for writing and coloring directly on line stamps. Sometimes, if it's more convenient to grab my markers, I do color onto a piece of plastic and watercolor with the marker. But, for large areas, I usually use the reinker / ink pad lid or, even more frequently, SU crayons. For shading, I use the neutral crayons or lay on addiitonal layers of color. Sometimes, I just color the outside and pull the color in. I think that when watercolor watercoloring, watercolor paper or shimmery paper, gives the best results. JMHO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 08:18 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've never had luck with blending my SU markers. I do love them for do direct to stamp coloring with different colors on a stamp. That's why I've kept mine. I find alcohol based markers blend much more easily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 08:26 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

If you look in my gallery, almost all of my colored images are colored with SU! or Tombow markers. Either with a blender pen, or water and paintbrush. I don't have a problem shading/blending at all.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ebethneuView Post
The SU markers aren't really meant for coloring large areas well. The tutorial about getting the copic look is great, but it is watercoloring.

I have had 2 sets of SU markers over the past 5 years and sold both because I could not get satisfied with the look, no matter what technique I did. The colors simply aren't meant for shading or art, they simply match the SU colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 08:29 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatarinaMView Post
If you look in my gallery, almost all of my colored images are colored with SU! or Tombow markers. Either with a blender pen, or water and paintbrush. I don't have a problem shading/blending at all.
Your cards are wonderful. The Fabriano is really great, isn't it. I love the bright white, hot press. Yum.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 08:29 AM   #12  
Cardstock Collector

I find Tombows to be a bit better than SU, which I cannot get to blend worth a darn. The ultimate is Copic and I am slowly building a collection. I am going to sell all my SU markers. They are simply filled with the same ink as in the pads so that they will match. They are not good for artwork.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 08:31 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Another option would be to try watercolor paper...(sorry if that was mentioned already.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniesmomView Post
I borrowed the whole set of SU markers from a frined and when I color I am seeing lines/streaks.It seems if I have to color a larger area the overlap lines show. Is this normal. Also, I can not get them to blend well. I was under the impression I could outline the stamped image than "pull" the color outwards/towards the center and have it look like it is shaded. I normally use prisma pencils and boby oil and can achieve this effect. Got any tips or suggestions.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 08:41 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatarinaMView Post

Thank you for sharing your wonderful gallery with us!

The shading/blending issue I was referring to was by using the markers to color straight on paper. I think many of us buy the SU markers expecting to be able to color with them directly and have it look nice. I know I would not have bought them had I known the only way to get them to blend was to use them as a painting tool, which using a watercolor brush or blender pen is doing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 09:33 AM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoviView Post
Here is a wonderful tutorial showing you how to blend using SU Markers... how to get the Copic look.

http://paperpleasing.typepad.com/my_...ics-no-pr.html

;)
Thank you for posting this, I had it bookmarked on our old computer. DH was so sweet to surprise me one morning by having the new computer all set up! It is nice to have a faster computer, but I did not get to copy my bookmarks.
Sandy O
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 11:04 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts

If you are coloring large area's, I found that the Wal-Mart paper Georgia-Pacific leaves streak marks. I also found that if I use Stampin Up Whisper White or Vanilla paper coloring with the SU markers is smoother and less streaks. You can give the SU paper a try and see if you like that bettter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 12:50 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by cydstampsView Post
Try making the gesso paper, the markers blend awesome with that, but I have had good luck just layering the color from lightest to darkest.

HELP! What is the gesso paper?

Thanks all for sharing your expertise, great tutorials, and fabulous galleries. I was expecting the markers to be more blendable once on the paper. I will say they are beautiful markers they just do not work (for me) the way I would like them to. Guess I know what will go on my anniversary gift, Christmas gift and Birthday gift list for the next few years.....Copics.

Someone mentioned that the cardstock may make a difference. I have been using the GP from Wal-Mart. I do have a few sheets of SU. WIll have to give it a try.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 12:56 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

here is a link for instructions on the gesso paper:

http://karenswhimsy.com/play/decorat...pers-gesso.htm

or you can buy it here:

http://www.dickblick.com/zz006/82/

It's traditionally for canvas and art, I know I wouldn't do this for stamping all the time.

If you can, try the Papertrey white cardstock, it's super heavy and is great to use with copics or prisma pencils

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniesmomView Post
HELP! What is the gesso paper?

Thanks all for sharing your expertise, great tutorials, and fabulous galleries. I was expecting the markers to be more blendable once on the paper. I will say they are beautiful markers they just do not work (for me) the way I would like them to. Guess I know what will go on my anniversary gift, Christmas gift and Birthday gift list for the next few years.....Copics.

Someone mentioned that the cardstock may make a difference. I have been using the GP from Wal-Mart. I do have a few sheets of SU. WIll have to give it a try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 06:23 PM   #19  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
If you are coloring large area's, I found that the Wal-Mart paper Georgia-Pacific leaves streak marks. I also found that if I use Stampin Up Whisper White or Vanilla paper coloring with the SU markers is smoother and less streaks. You can give the SU paper a try and see if you like that bettter.
I agree, I was surprised (because I don't like the SU WW for some other situations)...but I guess if I am using the markers I am not really trying to "blend" like I would with the pencils/Gamsol technique. I just color it in; done...if I accidentally go over a previous area I just go over the whole thing again to darken it all--it eventually gets uniform LOL

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes