Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-30-2008, 10:29 AM   #41  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkessler73View Post
After the first $4000.00 it slows up a bit. Then you run out of stuff to buy. Priorities!
hee hee - I totally agree!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 10:29 AM   #42  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Adrenaline Fatigue...HURRY BEFORE IT IS GONE!

I love the hype of all the new releases. Even though SU is my favorite, I can't tell you how many times I look at the other fabulous stamps and get tempted. Oh the temptation! It is enough to wear you out.

Adrenal Fatigue...that is what I first thought when I read the first post. It can wear you out...don't you think?

Hurry, hurry, hurry, hurry...get it before it is gone. I am not saying it is good or bad, but I can see how "get it before it is gone" can wear you out until maybe you are not enjoying your hobby anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 10:44 AM   #43  
Kookie Creator

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdeyes9View Post
I probably am alone here but is anyone getting tired of all the New Cattys
Nope! I like getting the new cattys. I get so excited every time a new one comes out. I get excited when I see posts about the member companies' new releases too. I like to see what's new.
But I don't buy everything I see.
I figure if they come out with something so fabulous and necessary that everyone has got to have it but I can't afford it, there will be something similar or something I like better in the next catty. Remember how everyone had to have the 12x12 paper in individual colors, so they brought it back? I do think they care about the customer.
As for everything looking the same or having lots of similar products. I think a lot of the stamp sets are similar, but not the same. My mom likes some of the flower sets that I don't like. So some flowers are for her and some flowers are for me. I think they have so many products because they are trying to make something for everyone - I can't be angry at them for that.
SU doesn't tell you that you have to buy it all :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 06:43 PM   #44  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by BasketOHeartsView Post
Why is it cold to point out that if you want to make money to buy certain things, there are ways to do it? This is a crafting website, not a website about how to buy milk and eggs. Most of the people here have discretionary income to purchase crafting items - and a lot of craft items, judging from posts.

I realize that not all people fit in this category, and we're all feeling a squeeze on our fun money with other costs rising. But there are solutions. You can even have a party to get some things you want free. But I guess it's "cold" to point that out, too.

In my previous post, it would be more clear if I said I have plenty of goodies to choose from that I already own. I certainly do not need to buy more craft supplies. If I do so, it is because I choose to out of my discretionary money. And it has nothing to do with SU retiring or coming out with new product constantly. In fact, 90% of my crafting dollar goes to other companies.

Some ideas are, in fact, silly. Rich American women complaining that we can't buy all the stamps we want and blaming manufacturers for it? That's really silly to me. And before anyone complains about not all of us being "rich", compared to 99% of humanity we absolutely are. When most people don't even have clean water, it's a privilege to look at any catalog and think we can afford even one item. Not to mention having internet access to complain about things we don't like on message boards.
That's not what you said. You said,
Quote:

Originally Posted by BasketOHeartsView Post
I am much more worried about rising costs of grocery staples and gas, which everyone needs. Lots of new stamps all the time to choose from? Awesome, if I can fit it in my budget. If not, I have so many wonderful goodies to choose from. Plus, part time jobs and demo-ships are available for those men and women who want to support their hobbies.
It's all in your tone. Men and women who want to support their hobbies? You don't know where that woman's source of income comes from and that statement essentially boils down to telling someone to "get a job." It was unnecessary....and does your demoship support your hobby 100%? What you find "silly" and what I think is "cold" is merely our experience. Let the poster have hers, KWIM? With that said, this spoiled American woman is going to bow out of this conversation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 06:56 PM   #45  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 07:06 PM   #46  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by helmts1981View Post
I actually like the selection and my feelings is if I absolutely love it then I will get it. I am in a stamp club so that helps break it up and I am able to budget for it. I also make a list at the beginning of the catalog season on ones I like and then I look through the gallery on here and it either makes it or breaks it for me. I was loving Holiday blocks until I saw what a limited amount of cards I could make with it so that is on my maybe list and then I saw other ones that I liked and saw all the cute ideas and way to use it and those ones are now on my gotta have list. I am lucky in the respect that there were not too many that I LOVED so that makes it a little easier on the wallet

This is what I have learned to do! 4 yrs being a demo and i'm just now figuring that out!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 07:15 PM   #47  
Crimping Master

I like getting the 2 new catties, but I wish I had more time to earn the hostess sets. I must admit that having 2 catties a year has forced me to carefully consider my stamping purchases. I have spent less with SU this past 6 months, but I am much happier with what I have purchased. Again, I just wish I had more time to earn the hostess sets!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 07:20 PM   #48  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInkView Post
I wish I saw a smilie rolling on the floor laughing!!

Anyway, I love getting 2 new catty's. I would get so bored with the same catty all year. I love seeing the new papers and embellishments. But after 2 years of spending, I now just get what I absolutely love. I don't need to buy what everyone else is buying.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 07:25 PM   #49  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeeJaneStampView Post
Nope! I like getting the new cattys. I get so excited every time a new one comes out. I get excited when I see posts about the member companies' new releases too. I like to see what's new.
But I don't buy everything I see.
I figure if they come out with something so fabulous and necessary that everyone has got to have it but I can't afford it, there will be something similar or something I like better in the next catty. Remember how everyone had to have the 12x12 paper in individual colors, so they brought it back? I do think they care about the customer.
As for everything looking the same or having lots of similar products. I think a lot of the stamp sets are similar, but not the same. My mom likes some of the flower sets that I don't like. So some flowers are for her and some flowers are for me. I think they have so many products because they are trying to make something for everyone - I can't be angry at them for that.
SU doesn't tell you that you have to buy it all :rolleyes:

I totally agree- they DO care about their customers and demos (since we're usually their best customers). They are constantly seeking to improve things and yes, they sometimes do seem to repeat their designs, they still are trying to keep up with new trends, and one catalog a year kept them behind. For example, in the upcoming Occasions mini - they have skinny, silhouette girls that seem to be a SU version of the modern Bella type girls (not exactly but close).

There are quite a few things SU has changed lately in direct response to customer/demo requests. As for feeling overwhelmed- i hear you! I am too, but also excited about it. If you ask me, just looking at a Creating Keepsakes or Papercrafts magazines is much more advertising "in your face" than SU.

The changes do require a new spending strategy for many of us, but isn't that okay?

Last edited by geekgirl415; 01-30-2008 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 07:31 PM   #50  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

SPEWWWWWW~~~!!!! BWAAAAA!!!!
ROTFLMBO!!!!!

Oh Jan, you really crack me up! I needed that tonight.

-Love the variety and the new sets but I don't buy it all ;), it's sure fun to look and drool though!!!

-I'd really love the marketing strategy of the minis and new catties even more if I had SU stock (kicking myself for not gettin' some 12 yrs ago when I first found out about this FABO company). {{{I really really doubt if their shareholders would want to hear that they were not putting out any more sets or accessories for awhile because they had been selling way too much:confused:.}}} I don't think it's because they don't care about their customers, I think it's because they do care and most people love to see new things! (pick me!)

-Try not to stress out about it. Just enjoy the fun colors, images and project ideas and buy what you like!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 07:36 PM   #51  
crick

I completely agree with the original post and really love the companies that release only a handful of sets monthly. I really get a good feel for those sets and feel like I make MUCH more thoughtful purchases as a result. I use those sets partly due to the blog exposure and anticipation, but also because I only have to concentrate on a few. I think this is why Paper Trey and MFT are doing such a hot business. Also, when they only release a few, I feel that their art is really created with purpose and design in mind rather than flooding the market with what I call "mindless" sets that look so much like other sets. SU has come out with set after set that are just a tiny bit different than previous sets. I just get tired of that. They have not, for years, come up with anything fresh like some of these new companies are doing. I would rather have a few quality sets introduced than being inundated with mediocre.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 07:38 PM   #52  
Die Cut Diva

I'm pullin' up a chair next to JanTink -

Hey girlie - need some more butter? I'll get some chocolate too!

My gallery
My blog!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 07:43 PM   #53  
Gabfest Goddess

I actually agree with the original poster, but I'm not complaining because I am GLAD. I have just been so bus with this commitment or that, and the whole SU catty thing just seems so overwhelming that I've totally backed off from SU. Too much to keep up with and it's just gotten so complicated... too much new stuff at once... changing SAB (didn't even know it was coming til yesterday), minis, two cattys, In Colors that will disappear, dormant list. Just too many changes at once that I need a break. I DO love SU stuff however!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 07:51 PM   #54  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm a brand-new stamper and just now finding my way around the forums. I was really drawn to this dicussion and would like to share my perspective:

I'm one of those folks who always jumps into something new with both feet (when I started hiking, I bought every new tool imaginable from hiking poles to hydration packs to GPS units. I single-handedly keep REI alive).

I'm SHOCKED at how much I've spent in the few months I've been stamping (and I only have about 6 sets of stamps - some from eBay, some from my demo's discontinued stock, only one from the catty), I have been purchasing the basics - punches, ink, and storage units. But I've tried accessories from other sources, and I feel SU has the best quality, hands-down. I'm willing to pay for quality, but it does mean that I have to scale down (did I mention I only have 6 sets? A floral, a sentiment, a kids set, etc).

For me, stamping means I'm concentrating on something other than work, my worries, and other things that get me down. It's meditative for me, like yoga. The money I'm spending is cheaper than therapy and is my only vice - well, this and hiking :-0 I get so much pleasure from this, and my husband is happy I have a hobby that keeps me home and off 10,000' peaks!

I'm rambling...bottom line is SU is good quality material and not much more expensive. ALTHOUGH - free shipping would be the one thing that would get me to buy more (are ya listening, SU?!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2008, 04:15 AM   #55  
Crimping Master

For me I buy what I like, and when the new catty comes out I buy new stuff. I dont go wild over retired stuff, because if it was something I really wanted I would have gotten it already. I am not really impressed with this catty, the sets just arent exciting this time for me. I do like the ones in the mini that is coming up soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2008, 04:31 AM   #56  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am limited on what I can buy especially now that I went back to part time. But I start by buying the sets that I really really want. I only spend about 50.00 a month on my SU order. Thats it. Anything more it waits until the next month.
People stop buying from companies every day for a variety of reasons.
SU came out with 2 catties a year because that is basically what the majority of customers wanted.
I also do a list when I get my new catty. It is my must have and want lists. I do change things on it all the time. Many customers have lists. and then they purchase what they really really want.
Sometimes if a set retired and I really want it yet, I have bought many sets from the B/S/T forum and from Ebay for good prices.

For on-line companies, yes they only have to release a few new sets a month and that works for them. Their customers are happy with that. A sales line like SU, TAC and CTMH cannot do that. They have to release a bunch of sets when the new catty comes out. It is a different type of sales line. If they were an internet company only then that would also work for them. I love the mini catties that come out to supplement new releases as well. Unfortunately again, I cannot buy everything. If I really want an extra set for the month, then I can work some extra hours to pay for it.
DH and I made an agreement when I left my full-time higher paying job, that extras would have to be cut. That included my stamping budget. I use to spend 150.00 - 200.00 a month on SU, TAC and at the local shops. Now I have 50.00 period for everything. It is tough sometimes but, I have become much more careful on what I order now. I do change my mind several times before Stampers 10 class normally!!! I now buy more stamp sets that I can do different cards with and will get more use out of.

Last edited by meluvstampin; 01-31-2008 at 04:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2008, 04:57 AM   #57  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkessler73View Post
Men and women who want to support their hobbies? You don't know where that woman's source of income comes from and that statement essentially boils down to telling someone to "get a job." It was unnecessary....and does your demoship support your hobby 100%? What you find "silly" and what I think is "cold" is merely our experience.
Umm I became a demo to support my habit (in addition to working FT)...and it does support my hobby 100% I am pretty sure there are other demos for all sorts of home based businesses that do the same...

but to the OP...

It can be overwhealming...just like any other companies releases are too (darn you Papertrey )...

and yes I fully understand how hard it can be to reign yourself in...I spent a year "collecting" things before I wised up and started buy only what I truely loved and knew I would use...and learned you can do far more with only a few sets and a bunch of cool accessories then you can with a tons of sets and a few peices of paper....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2008, 06:29 AM   #58  

Quote:

Very cute you made me smile with this little guy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2008, 06:41 AM   #59  
Stampin' Fool

I like the choices. I make a list, and often by the time I actually can/do order, half the things don't look so interesting to me!! I had a list for the new cattie and when I place my order for the sale-abration, at least 2/3 of my list no longer look that cool.... lol.

Keeping the list up-to-date is fun for me, I get the excitement of choosing but only buy the top choices.

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2008, 06:51 AM   #60  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdeyes9View Post
I probably am alone here but is anyone getting tired of all the New Cattys
And limited time to get the stuff you want... I could get myself into a frenzy
overspending (smart on SU's part) But in these economic times (and I'm blessed to be more than ok in that department) I think bringing out new stuff
and limiting the amount of time to be able to purchase is almost mean.
I have given up on SU. I quit my stamp club. I quit partly because I really have enough and partly because I am tired of all the temptation that I have a problem resisting. I know people that have trouble paying their bills that
are still making expensive orders (my Demo feels bad too) because they gotta get it before it retires. Thanks for letting me have my say...
I love the bi-annual catty that SU! has started because I get tired of the same thing for a whole 12 months but that is just me.

As far as people buying what they cant afford that is something they need to seriously look at within themselves and you cant really let that effect you, KWIM? Some people just dont have any self-control...unfortunately.

Now all the new stamp companies that I am finding and falling in love with might just break the bank if I let it, LOL!
There is a new company and a new release every week it seems ;)
I'll just have to sit at this job every day for a few more years to cover it
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2008, 06:54 AM   #61  
Glitter Queen

I rarely post but felt the need to after reading all the comments on the marketing practices of SU. Do we not teach our children about the marketing practices of the Companys that advertise on commercial television? I for one value "The Choice" we have in any purhase we as consumers make. I will not fault any company that has excellant marketing and advertising. We have the ability and the right of "Free Will" to spend or not spend our discretionary income on anything we "CHOOSE".

Freedom of choice is never wrong. I for one value this and I trust that I will make wise and prudent choices when it comes to spending my money. Remember that Stamps are a Want and not a Need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2008, 07:59 AM   #62  

Personally I do not like having 2 catty's a year because I feel it doesn't allow me enough time to purchase the stamp sets I want and the fall catalog ends in December- I for one do not have too much extra spending money around Christmas time (and I have other bills that come due in Dec. as well).

I do not feel pressured to buy, because I know I can always get them later in a trade or there's always ebay- in fact I end up getting my stamps even cheaper on ebay. I have learned through the years to be patient and I will eventually be able to get the stamps that I wanted. For example...the SU set 'Time Well Spent'- one of these sets just sold on ebay for $92 (honest, it really did sell for that much money!), by next year I can get one for around $20 or maybe even less.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2008, 08:18 AM   #63  
Crimping Master

[quote=bdeyes9;8577099] I think bringing out new stuff
and limiting the amount of time to be able to purchase is almost mean.
I have given up on SU.

Mean? No. Bringing out new products (whether it's rubber stamps or stuffed animals or cars) is not mean. It's business. Have people given up on Ford or Kroger because, darn it, now there are new choices again. Why is SU! always the whipping boy in posts? Almost every company in the U.S. brings out new or new-and-improved products every few months. To me the biggest trend in the crafty industry is not bringing out new products all the time, it's bashing SU!.

My Gallery

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2008, 09:10 AM   #64  
Die Cut Diva

This has been a very amusing conversation!

The point in starting a retail business is to MAKE MONEY.
The special thing about SU is they make money selling products that enrich both the stamper and the recipients of the stamper's crafts and cards. Stamping is good for people.

I don't think there's anything wrong with keeping the product selection fresh and dynamic.

If you want a stamp that has been retired, just visit Ebay.

Personally, when I get the new catty, I often just view card samples for inspiration and try to apply them to the stamps I already have. I rarely buy new stamps anymore. Let the feeling of shopping frenzy pass, and you'll realize you didn't miss that much.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2008, 09:26 AM   #65  
Matboard Maniac

I like how everyone can share their feelings in these post, but my little aggravation with them, and please remember this is my vent, that the tips and the picture ideas that you see do not have tutorials. That is why I like SCS becasue I receive tutorials, I appreciate everyone's ideas and new websites to check out for tutorials to inspire me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2008, 09:42 AM   #66  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by april0415@embarqmaView Post
I like how everyone can share their feelings in these post, but my little aggravation with them, and please remember this is my vent, that the tips and the picture ideas that you see do not have tutorials. That is why I like SCS becasue I receive tutorials, I appreciate everyone's ideas and new websites to check out for tutorials to inspire me.
I assume that you're talking about SU! not providing tutorials? If so, I think they intend your demonstrator to be your resource for that.

If I misunderstood your question, then never mind!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2008, 09:49 AM   #67  
Matboard Maniac

Cool SU tutorials

Yes, sorry, SU does not provide tutorials in there books. I did not realize that they leave that up to the demonstrator. Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2008, 10:08 AM   #68  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by april0415@embarqmaView Post
Yes, sorry, SU does not provide tutorials in there books. I did not realize that they leave that up to the demonstrator. Thanks
If you ever have a question on a specific catalog project, definitely post your questions on this site, everybody here is happy to help!

Another tip is to look in the back of the catalog, it lists the supplies used on each sample. Sometimes you can better understand how they did something if you can see the supply list. For example, if you see that they used versamark and stampin' pastels, you can assume that they used the poppin' pastels technique, then come here for that tutorial.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2008, 10:13 AM   #69  
Matboard Maniac

Default response to SU tutorial

Great idea, thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2008, 10:30 AM   #70  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I like having more catalogs. I don't buy everything I see. But, I enjoy looking at all the pretty pictures anyways.
Reply With Quote Likes