Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-18-2007, 01:46 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SU vs. CTMH question

I was invited to join a hostess club for ten months by my friend who is a CTMH consultant. I generally use mainly SU, so I looked up CTMH on the internet, and I just wasn't that impressed. (I'm not one who prefers rubber stamps to acrylic or anything; I'm merely going by the images themselves.) Do you think CTMH is worth it for me to commit to placing orders every month? I realize I may end up falling in love with their stuff, but I would just like anyone's opinion.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 01:59 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to AmberDawn

I just resigned from CTMH for the simple fact that there is just not that much of a selection of stamps! I don't kids, just a hubby and two dogs so the stamps didn't do much for me. Seems like every catelog is more and more geared towards children. I love there stuff, don't get me wrong, but there isn't enough variety for me...the clubs are fun though, cause all you really have to do is spend 25 a month, right? You could do that easily;)
I design for Verve Stamps and Reverse Confetti!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 02:00 PM   #3  
Watercolor Wizard

I've belong to a CTMH club, for about 4 years now and I wasn't really happy when they switched to acrylic, but I've slowly changed my mind.

If you not interested in purchasing acrylics you can always purchase cardstock & inks (which some of colors coordinate with SU), pattern paper, My Accents, or ribbon... that's what I did when I was boycotting the acrylics...lol and CTMH always comes out with great embellishments. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 02:12 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

If you don't like the other products they have to offer, then joining the CTMH club doesn't sound like the right decision for you. That said, I am also primarily an SU customer but did join a CTMH club for one year. I always managed to find something to buy to fulfill my commitment. They have great patterned paper kits, ribbons, and accessories. Would I have bought them if I wasn't in the club, maybe not, but I can't say that I'm complaining about what I did purchase.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 02:19 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

CTMH has paper packs and great embellishments. I love their stamps too (I'm not just saying that because I'm a consultant).

Maybe you can tell your friend that you are not sure about CTMH stamp designs. Ask her if you can come to "check it out" before you commit. You may find that you do indeed like the stamps or not. Either way you have told your friend what you are thinking, and you can see what else the catalog holds. Then if you don't like the product you don't have to commit, but you've at least tried and if I were the friend in question I would be happy with that.

�So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.�
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 02:33 PM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I enjoy using Rubber Stamps VS using Acrylic stamps.

I own a Few Acrylic Stamp. Use them from time to time..

But I really like that Rubber feeling. Of course the stamps I use the most are stamps from The Angel Company.

Our stamps are unmounted Rubber stamps that use a Acrylic block instead of a Wood block.

I also have purchase stamps from Other stamp companies too.

But like I said I really like my Rubber Stamps much better.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 03:19 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Okay, even if you don't do stamps you can easily spend $15 - $25.00 easily a month getting all the cute accessories which work great on cards. They do sell quite a few things that would compliment any stamping guru. Have some fun. You will be with a good friend and maybe even get a few new ideas of things you could do with any stamp set.

www.NicoleEBecker.myctmh.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 03:36 PM   #8  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Sorry, don't flame me but I just like the SU images better.

I have nothing against CTMH and "clear" stamps (according to JulieHRR, they aren't made from acrylic at all, acrylic is only the block you stamp on). I just personally like SU's colors, sets and good ole rubbah....

But, if you can look through the catalog and see stuff you would order then go for it! Hey, it's a night out to stamp and an excuse to buy goodies!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 04:27 PM   #9  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 624 Likes on 438 Posts

How much of a committment is it? Do you scrapbook? If you do, I say go for it. I have been buying their paper packs and love them. The price adds up quickly so if the monthly amount is say $20 it is easy to do. I just ordered some textured card stock that some of my friends really like. I love their alphabet stamps, they are really easy to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 05:36 PM   #10  
Embossing Fanatic

I was in a club for a year, it was only $15.00 a month, but it was a struggle to find stuff I liked. Towards the end I only bought paper, which i still buy to this day, but I found I stamped better with red rubber instead of the clear. I finally had the nerve to get out, but I felt really bad because my consultant was such a generous dear and I hated hurting her feelings.

So, if you are on the fence, I agree with one of the above posters, just tell your friend you'd love to suuport her in any way you can, but just can't commit to a club.

Good Luck,
Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 06:59 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

I love the CTMH inks and inkpads -- great coverage and great colors. The inkpads stack nicely, they store the pads upside down and the )lid folds under but are very sturdy with no sag (can't squeeze to get ink on the lid for watercoloring, but the lid fits so close to the pad that there is always a bit of ink on the lid). Much easier to open for this butterfingers. Coordinated kits and embellishments are great. Card stock has a white core which is nice for certain techniques. Granted I couldn't put together an arm's length wish list for CTMH stamps like a can for SU, but there are many I'd love to have and have been pleased with those I have purchased.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 07:11 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

I think you should go for it. I didn't think I was a big ctmh fan until I went to the parties. Now my list for ctmh is LONGER than the stampin up one! I have a question for you though are you more of a scrapper or stamper? I started to fall more for ctmh when I started focusing on my scrapbooking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 07:14 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

I'm partial to SU! because I love the colors, matching inks, paper, and markers. Plus the new "In Colors" are so great. They try to stay on the cutting edge of designs with their stamps too.

Sue's gallery
www.stampinwithsue.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 07:23 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

If you are a scrapbooker, it might be worth it. I really, really love their scrapbooking kits. I can't wait for my daughter to be able to write more than her name (she's 4) so I can pick up some of their cute fill-in-the-blank ones for kids! Maybe I'll go get them anyway...

Yapha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 07:49 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

I love the CTMH stuff because i am a consultant. I would say if the hostess club is something where you are going to learn something new every month for the 10 months than I would join. Like everybody else said we do have more than the stamps. I just had my first SU party a few weeks ago and I have to say that I really like the SU stamps because they have more choices,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 09:17 PM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

If the commitment is only $15 and you are a scrapbooker, I say go for it! I love their scrapbooking kits and embellishments and I only use their alphabet stamps (easier to line up I think), but they do have some beautiful scrapping stuff, especially paper and kits! Good luck deciding!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2007, 09:43 PM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

I've been in both groups this year and I have to say CTMH has pretty neat stuff- especially for scrapbookin...the stamp sets are more geared for scrapbook pages but they have some card ones to....I deceided that I wasn't buying CTMH ink and paper as i have tons of SU ones..so I've been just getting the stamp sets and enjoying them...have been only spending 30-40 a month and its been fun..

Best of luck on decision
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2007, 05:17 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

CTMH's inks and paper also match...just thought I'd point that out.
I am an SU demo, but I do use CTMH. I love acrylics. I love being able to see through. I also really like their ink. I buy a lot of paper packs..great variety of paper!
In the club, you will do cool projects, plus get a night out, so I say go for it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2007, 06:21 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinsueView Post
I'm partial to SU! because I love the colors, matching inks, paper, and markers. Plus the new "In Colors" are so great. They try to stay on the cutting edge of designs with their stamps too.
I agree with you. I have several CTMH scrapbooking sets and they are nothing like SU!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2007, 06:22 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

I really love CTMH and discovered them while accompanying my daughter to a project class run by her consultant friend. I haven't found a consultant here who has these project classes in my area.

At first I thought there was nothing I wanted from CTMH, but after working with it on the projects I made, I fell in love with it and am now addicted to it.
Melinda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2007, 06:26 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it also depends on the club and who runs it. If your just going to buy stuff than maybe think twice before joining but if the person running the club is going to teach you cool new techniques or fun projects each month than I'd say that's worth a $15-25 commitment. Plus once you use the stuff you might totally fall in love with it all (like I did;))

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2007, 06:36 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

I'd recommend you going to a workshop or class first before you commit yourself to a long term commitment that a club entails. I personally like the quality of the CTMH stamps and blocks (haven't tried the paper yet) but there really are very few image sets that appeal to me so I think at most I will own about 6 sets of CTMH stamps. I see a lot of similarity between CTMH sets and SU sets and I prefer the SU versions usually.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2007, 01:48 PM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks everyone. I bought the catalog from her and I do think I will end up finding things I'd like. I am a big-time scrapbooker turned scrapper/stamper, so I think there will be enough to satisfy me. I generally would not use scrapbooking kits but I might give them a try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 05:31 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

LeahZahn,
Good for you!
I think you will enjoy the variety of CTMH. Even if you do not enjoy the level 1 paper packs, I think you will enjoy some of the level 2 packs that contain paper patterns that coordinate.
I understand that some people just really love their rubber, and do not enjoy clear stamps. Thats ok. The world is big enough, and has enough stuff for us all to enjoy!
Enjoy your time and energy with your friend doing what you love!
Reply With Quote Likes