Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-22-2006, 04:08 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SU Website plus computer ?

I just got a new laptop (dream of many years come true!). It is an Acer Aspire. I know that when I tried to play a DVD on it, the settings were for another world region, not USA.

So here's my question. When I try to access SU's website, I am automatically linked to their Canadian site. I know this because it's Catalogue, etc. on their link bars and the catalog choices are Canadian/English or Canadian/French. And the catalog prices are much more expensive than the US prices.

I have tried typing in just www.stampinup.com, but I am still sent to the Canadian site.

Anyone out there know how I can reset my computer so that it won't register "foreign?" (I have gone to the Regional settings in my control panel and made sure that English, US, etc., etc. is checked and set there).

Thanks for any help.
Kathy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2006, 04:12 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Try this link and see if it works for you.

http://www.stampinup.com/us/enu/default.asp

When I first went to the new website, I had to click my country and now, when I type www.stampinup.com , the above is what comes up for me automatically.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2006, 04:21 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Kathy, I have an Acer Aspire - did you get it from newegg? Anyway, I have never had any problems with it. You could try deleting the temporary internet files and history and going back into the SU! site again -so that it will hopefully let you choose.

As for your computer - congrats! I absolutely love mine - have had it since July and my 11 yr old DD bought herself one in November. The only thing I have done to mine is add an extra 512 RAM - cheap and MUCH faster!

Karen

BLINGO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2006, 09:09 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks, trefoil and Karen.

I cleared out my cookies and internet history and voila - back to the good old USA website!!!

Karen, I got my Acer at Circuit City. My 20 yo DD got one at the same time. We are loving them!!! I bought one with 512 RAM (held out for this one!), wireless internet, etc. Love the wireless! Love the extra RAM.

Thanks again,
Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2006, 09:12 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

At least you now know what we poor Canadians have to pay for our SU product. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2006, 09:44 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Craftygirl - I couldn't believe the prices on those stamp sets! I am sorry that you have to pay so much!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2006, 09:51 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Thanks for your sympathy. I guess as long as I don't look at the American prices I don't feel too badly. I figure the best way to get my SU stuff is to keep hosting parties. That way the cost for me is not too steep.
Connie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2006, 12:08 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Stampin8mom

Sorry to hijack, but I really hoping to get a laptop soon (DH is almost ready to give in-heeheehee), Can you give me some more information about yours? He is looking at the Dell. I told him I don't want lots of bells and whistles on it, but I do want it to be fast and wireless.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2006, 01:42 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by clognmom
Stampin8mom

Sorry to hijack, but I really hoping to get a laptop soon (DH is almost ready to give in-heeheehee), Can you give me some more information about yours? He is looking at the Dell. I told him I don't want lots of bells and whistles on it, but I do want it to be fast and wireless.

Thank you!
Go to www.newegg.com and do a search for Acer brand laptops. I paid between $550-600 for my Acer Aspire last summer. It only came with 256 RAM but I upgraded with an additional 512 for less than $50. The nice thing about laptops is the amount of RAM doesn't have to match up like in a desktop - you can have 256 and add 512, it doesn't have to be in identical incriments.... make sense? About the website - they don't have the one I bought any more... but basically I bought the BOTTOM of the line.... like I said, my DD bought one too in November and she loves it too. LOL, we are a family of 4 and all 4 of us have our own computers with internet access - 3 wireless and one dedicated

BLINGO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2006, 03:36 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Clognmom, Like I said I bought mine at Circuit City last week. I had seen Acer get a good review in my PC World magazine. They said that for a bare bones laptop, it was a good one. It got the highest review in the low cost laptops.

And it really is bare bones. But comes with a cd/cdrw, dvd drive. 512 mb RAM (which I wouldn't get one with any less. My dd had one with 256 and it is slow). A 60 mb hard drive. Wireless connection. These are things that sold me on the laptop.

Plus the cost was only $549 after rebate. I looked at the Dell ones that I see advertised in every Sunday's paper, but they usually only come with 256 RAM. You can have it upgraded for a little more and by the time you pay for that + shipping, it was cheaper for me to go with Acer.

There is no word processing program on the computer, but you can go to www.download.openoffice.org and download a complete office program - word processing, spreadsheet and powerpoint programs that are all compatible with MS Word and MS Works. For FREE!

The screen on this laptop is amazing! Huge! and crystal clear. I love it.

The only drawback I can see is that the battery lasts just over an hour. But we use the laptop here at home and I'm around a power source most of the time.

Oops, I guess this got a little long winded. Hope this info helps. Let me know if you want more.

Kathy
Oh - and I already called the Acer company with a question. Very short waiting time on the phone and VERY friendly people that I talked to. (This was at 2 p.m. EST) That's a great plus.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2006, 03:47 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Kathy, did you ask them about a battery pack upgrade by any chance? I haven't seen any for it online, and I don't like the fact that the battery only lasts about an hour when not plugged in. But like you said, it is always plugged in at home. I am going to order a "road pack adapter" (not the right name for it) where I can plug it into the airplane on the trip home and also a car adapter... I found it for around $70 online.

BLINGO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2006, 06:19 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Thank you Karen and Kathy,

I'm going to look into these a little bit more. We have 3 computers here for 5 people. Only 2 are hooked to the net. My DH is a computer geek (professionally) so he is "helping" me shop!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2006, 09:40 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

from what i can tell with the SU site, the last place you went to will be the place that comes up again.

eg. i'm in australia, but if i go to the US site, the next time i go to the website, the US one will come up. all you have to do is click on global and then choose your country

www.alisatilsner.com - my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2006, 09:41 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlisaZoe
from what i can tell with the SU site, the last place you went to will be the place that comes up again.

eg. i'm in australia, but if i go to the US site, the next time i go to the website, the US one will come up. all you have to do is click on global and then choose your country
Alisa, are you signing up to be a demo?! Welcome to SU! if so!

BLINGO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2006, 09:44 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

more than likely, just one more week to wait *sigh*

www.alisatilsner.com - my blog
Reply With Quote Likes