Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-05-2005, 06:59 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SU! White vs. Other White CS

Ok, a few years ago when I first got into Stampin' Up!, I did purchase a pack of the Ultrasmooth White CS. I then realized that I could just use some other kind of white CS and save a little money.

Well, the other white is great if it's going to be layered, but dark colors bleed through.

So, I would suggest that if you are going to do a card that's just white CS and no layers (like gift set by ssummerer with More Petal Prints), use the SU! CS!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2005, 07:03 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

That is what I do too--- also with the confetti card stock that you can also get at staples or whatever....

It helps cut down on costs a bit....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2005, 07:29 AM   #3  

Default White card stock.

I haven't bought SU! white in 3 years. I get 250 sheets of 110 lb white card stock at Sams club for $ 5.24. Works great.
In Him,
Shawna

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2005, 07:37 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

you are very wise......

although i have a phobia that someone will compare my paper and ask--- is this really SU??????......

:oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2005, 07:41 AM   #5  
The Digi-Freak

I love my Georgia Pacific white. It is thicker than SU, IMO. I do agree SU is smoother though.

I use my GP all the time for white. I use all SU for my colored c/s... unless I have some *high quality* specialty paper like my Making Memories cosmopolitan pack (man, I love that stuff!!). I refuse to use cheap cardstock that sucks. It just makes my time and effort worthless if the finished product looks like junk because I was too cheap to buy the real paper!!

They always have specials at Michael's for $1.99 for colored cardstock packs.... but it is SO GROSS!!! It is cheap and thin and icky!! I'm worth more than that, and so are the friends I'm sending cards to!

Sorry, rant over ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2005, 07:45 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Default White card stock

In the past I had always bought white (and black) cardstock from vendors other than Stampin Up so I could save a little money. When I became a demonstrator I bought some white cardstock, but was disappointed because it was so thin. I have noticed, however, that it creates much more even images than the other cardstock I have been using. Something about the way the cardstock absorbs the ink makes a nice clean image. Now I am torn- Do I save some bucks and have nice thick cardstock or do I have great looking images?

Kathrine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2005, 07:48 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

save some bucks!!!!!!

Sorry, I guess I get mad for SU making such great stuff and that is sucks up my money......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2005, 07:52 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Location: Under the Hackberry Tree, Deep In The Heart Of Texas
Default SU US White

I too have tried the Georgia Pacific White c/s instead of the US White - but I am sticking with US White. Some of the colors bleed/fade on the Georgia Pacific. I really don't like the way Lovely Lilac comes out - yuk! I agree with a previous post that we are worth the extra cost for SU papers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2005, 08:09 AM   #9  
Inking Addict

I agree. SU US White is the best. I have some smooth white paper from else where that is really nice and thick, however when I color the images with SU markers the colors are so muddy. For example I use Blush Blossom marker for skin tones and they look deep brown or orange. For demoing & samples I only use SU.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2005, 08:35 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've learned, over the years, you get what you pay for. If you want quality, be prepared to pay for quality.

That said, I only stamp on SU! U/S White for ALL my card-making as the velvety smooth finish is something I have been unable to find in cheaper brands of white c/s. So, I have no problem paying for the quality I get when I use it.

Ok, does that mean I don't buy cheap GP white c/s? No, I certainly do! But, I use it for the following:

Creating templates & patterns (I'm found to make mistakes and have to toss it and try again)

Practicing my cutting skills with a new tool (for example, when I first acquired the Coluzzle, I didn't worry about waste as I was figuring out just how to hold the tool, etc.)

Testing punches for sharpness, residue, stickiness, etc.

Practicing new techniques (i.e. shaving cream marbling)

Practicing a different fold or unique interactive mechanism for a card, to make sure I've got all the parts working as they should before creating the final project.

But, when testing and experimentation is done and I'm ready to make the final project or card, I want quality all the way for my time and efforts, as someone else already mentioned. So, I rely on SU! U/S White and Vanilla for exactly that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2005, 09:04 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

You all will laugh at me when I way this.........I am not a demo for SU or associated in any way other than being a BUYER of SU and a member of the wonderful group. However, I will use no other paper, white or colors, than SU papers and cardstock. They are the best that I have used!! Our cards and our talents deserve the BEST supplies that we can find on the market. The end products, our cards or scrapbook pages, will be a reflection on us, the artist, forever........If they look good, we look good!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2005, 09:18 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 124 Likes on 60 Posts

I agree with Julie! I use SU cardstocks (US White, US Vanilla, Naturals, Confettis and of course all the colors) exclusively for my projects. I'm a demo and I don't want to have to think about whether I used SU cardstock on a certain project that I'm showing off. I do use the cheaper stuff for the same things Julie uses them for - for trying things out before I'm ready to make the final project.

As a demo, I think it's best to buy from myself - just so many benefits...

But before I started stamping, I was scrapbooking, so I have a bunch of Bazzill cardstock (love that stuff!) that's just sitting, which is kinda sad... I love the texture of it. I know you can get a similar *look* by using our Canvas BG stamp, though.... And the textured side of the Bazzill isn't as good to stamp on in general...

I also use the cheaper white cardstock as a workspace - to protect my table. But now I invested in the SU grid paper, which I like better because it's nice and big, and has measurements on it.

What do you think of my sweet little guinea pig Chloe? :lol:

Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2005, 12:09 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

For give the hijack.
Susn, I think Chloe is beautiful. We have a Squeaker.We got her a year ago last August. she was such a cute, fuzzy handful. now she is the size of a small rabbit & has long hair! She has such a funny personality. She talks to me while I'm on the computer. Squeaks, whistles & chuurs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2005, 12:18 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

I use Wausau Exact Index white cardstock from Office Depot for the base of my cards or I'll use the precut and prescored cards from Michael's as a base. I have some SU white but haven't used much yet. I found some really smooth white at my local scrapbooking store. It was 6 sheets for a dollar. That way I don't have to pay for shipping from SU. I don't know who makes it tho. I'd rather buy it by the ream.

HTH!

There are 3 types of people in the world. Those that can count and those that can't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2005, 01:35 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

swear by the GP white cardstock....I think it is very nice and thick....BUT I have also never used the US white...SO, I guess at this point, (and wallet thickness) what I don't know won't hurt me! Kerilou
Reply With Quote Likes