Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-02-2005, 10:57 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question To take the plunge or not--I'm scared!

My demo has asked me for years why I'm not a demo, and I'd just laugh. But she asked me again last night...and I'm seriously considering it FINALLY. It's hard to pass up those 12 stamp pads.

But what I'm scared about is HOW do ya get customers? How do you know if your area isn't already oversaturated with demos?

AND does anybody know if ya get the 12 free pads, does that mean you do NOT get the 6 other pads that would normally have come in the demo pack, OR do ya still get those, so you really can get 18 pads? HELP!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2005, 11:09 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

You get the 12 stamp pads (a color family) PLUS the other 6 pads in the kit (one of them has to be basic black, you choose the other 5 colors). Don't know about the finding customers thing...I plan to take the plunge as well, and this is one of my main worries too! Good Luck!

April
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2005, 11:27 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

You can use the "find a demonstrator" feature on the SU! website to see how many other demos live near you, and your demo can give you lots of help on how to get started and build your own customer base. You have to sign up under an existing demo, and that person is then responsible for training you.

Your demo obviously thinks you have what it takes to be a demo yourself. If the only reason you haven't signed up is fear, then I say suck it up and jump on in -- I've decided that being scared is something I can get over!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2005, 11:28 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Smile

I say, "go for it"!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2005, 11:36 AM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the same concerns, as I'm sure lots of others have, too. My biggest fear is that I won't be creative enough. I've been told all my life how creative I am and how good my work is, but there's always that self-doubt. I think it's Nike time "Just Do It!". Once you get going and do the first workshop (with friends who won't stop being your friends if you mess up) things will go smoothly. After lots of years of people telling me that I should be a demo and why haven't I signed up yet, I'm finally going to sign up. The worst that can happen is that I don't get enough customers to sustain my habit and I go back to being a regular customer. In the mean time, maybe I'll learn something (even about myself) and I'll still have all the great stuff that comes with the kit and 12 free ink pads!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2005, 11:36 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

I'm sort of in the same situation as you - my demo has asked me why I do dive in for years. This promotion has finally pushed the right button and I'm doing it! I decided in the grand scheme of life and all the money I spend on stamping stuff anyway, it's just $200 and there's no "punishment" or "penalty" if you decide not to continue. So, at worst, it's a great price for a bunch of stuff I would probably buy anyway! And, I have been kind of suprised at how people are sort of falling in my lap, so to speak. I will soon have enough to do a club and at least keep my minimums!

My gallery
My blog!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2005, 12:13 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

There is nothing to be afraid of if you can afford the $199 for the kit. It is so worth the $ all by itself and if you can't find customers, then you just bought a bunch of stamp stuff. The way I looked at it when I started was that I had 2 friends plus myself who were already spending that much each month. I knew they would buy from me and if we each spent $35 a month, my minimums would be met. If that didn't work out, I still had the starter kit goodies.
My experience with SU has been wonderful. Our products sell themselves and it is so much fun to be part of the larger group of SU demonstrators.
You just can't lose , in my opinion.
Roberta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2005, 12:26 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Ditto on checking the website.

I mulled this over for a very long time and took the plunge last Friday. Some days I'd change my mind multiple times. lol

I'm doing this for the discount since, in my situation, doing this for the income doesn't make sense.

Finding customers is a HUGE concern of mine, since we're pretty new to the area and still making friends (no family here). But I figured I'd do it, give it the old college try, and see what happens.

Best wishes in your decision making process.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2005, 01:08 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ladies... what's the worst thing that could happen? Let's see... you buy the kit and get 12 additional free stamp pads and you do nothing else. No stamping monster stalks you and says "Give back those stamp pads." You pay for the kit - you don't have to do another thing EVER. You decide what you want to do (active or hobby demo) and then if you make the quarterly minimums - you do - if not, you drop - NO PENALTY. That's the worst thing that could happen to you. Now, I don't happen to have enough time or space to tell you all the good things, but the demo area of this website alone is enough to keep you as a demonstrator!

Call your current demonstrator and talk to her!!!!! You can't lose anything by signing up!

deb

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2005, 01:23 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by graupmand
Ladies... what's the worst thing that could happen? Let's see... you buy the kit and get 12 additional free stamp pads and you do nothing else. No stamping monster stalks you and says "Give back those stamp pads." You pay for the kit - you don't have to do another thing EVER. You decide what you want to do (active or hobby demo) and then if you make the quarterly minimums - you do - if not, you drop - NO PENALTY. That's the worst thing that could happen to you. Now, I don't happen to have enough time or space to tell you all the good things, but the demo area of this website alone is enough to keep you as a demonstrator!

Call your current demonstrator and talk to her!!!!! You can't lose anything by signing up!

deb
Yeah, what Deb said! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2005, 02:00 PM   #11  
MnM
Crimping Master

Default You are not ready yet

Just my opinion....but if you really have to ask us. I really don't think you are ready.
If you truely want to do something you'll just do it no matter what the opinions of others may be.
Just my 2 cents....please do not throw eggs.
Marianne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2005, 02:08 PM   #12  
Ms. Brightside

Location: On the verge of greatness and the brink of insanity!

Sheraldine...I was so in your shoes a few weeks ago. Finally, when this offer came out, I decided I just couldn't refuse. Sent in my paperwork just today.

The customer thing is always a worry. I'm plan to start by doing stamp camps in my house for family/friends and asking them to bring someone along. I hope this will start a trend of finding new people. If it doesn't work out, I'll still have gotten tons of stuff to feed my addiction, met some new folks, and be out just my time and effort. I think that's a fair trade off. But, then, that's just me!

Hope this helps!
Justine

I don't really stamp much. I'm just here for the company.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2005, 02:22 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Give it a try. I started by inviting friends, family, co-workers and told them to bring a guest. Had them R.S.V.P. how many were coming and if any were new to stamping so I could plan my projects accordingly. It's worth the 12 free stamp pads. With the six that comes in the kit, that makes 18. You can't go wrong. Wish they would have had this promo when I became a demonstrator. Terri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2005, 02:49 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by MnM
Just my opinion....but if you really have to ask us. I really don't think you are ready.
If you truely want to do something you'll just do it no matter what the opinions of others may be.
Just my 2 cents....please do not throw eggs.
Marianne
Have you ever wanted a job really badly, yet, you're still anxious about what happens next if yo DO get it?

It's that kinda feeling . . . I think sometimes, we just need the reassurance that whichever way we go, it'll all work out--And, I think some folks just don't realize that it's OK to sign up, and if it doesn't work out for you pursuing the demo'r end, you just go inactive. There's nothing wrong with that!

A lot of folks sign up just for the great deal of the kit, or it AND, the opportunity to attend Convention, which is only for demo'rs. After that, some of them get excited and go for it as a career, others enjoy just being hobby demo'rs, and yet others feel comfortable having gotten the kit, and do not feel the need to pursue the demo'r end of it at all and go inactive.

But, SOME feel guilty if they go inactive, or that something "bad" might happen. They shouldn't. Nothing "bad" happens at all! You just don't qualify for the discount any more or the other perks demo'rs receive, once you go inactive! That's it! Everybody signs up for different reasons--and it's OK just to sign up for the deal/kit!

Whatever your reasons are, I think it's all good, UKWIM?

Also, sometimes, I think women ask because they want a sounding board, not because they are actually in need of anybody to personally give 'em the green or red light.

No eggs!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2005, 03:01 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

If you are an advid stamper.....getting the kit will only benefit you...it is an awesome deal. like someone else said....you can get it ....do nothing...and just be droped as a distributor.
Can you calculate how many $$ you spent on SU over the last year, or 6 months? If you are averaging $100.00 per momth...you could definitely be a hobby demo and support your habit.
Do you give your distributor other orders from friends? Count those as well.
Whatever you decide...if you have the $$...the kit is an awesome value. Then take a little time and explore the world of demohood...and see where it takes you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2005, 03:10 PM   #16  
Mad Swapper

If you think about it the worst that can happen is pretty good so go for it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2005, 03:49 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thumbs up I made the jump!

I filled out all my paper work on Sunday night and my demo/upline sent them in on Monday. I am going to start out as a hobby demo, but would not refuse anyone if they would like a party. I have some cousins and other family that will hopefully support me, if not I know I spend $300 every quarter!

I'm excited as well, so I say go for it!!

Good luck with your decision!

Hugs
Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2005, 06:32 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

I think that's been it exactly! Ya nailed it, Julie! That feeling that somehow if ya don't "succeed" you've failed somehow. Going inactive sounds painless enough--LOL It's not like I'd be vaporized or something--ha!

I love stamping and have been so addicted for 8 years and my stars! This deal is just too sweet to pass up!

Thanks, gals, for all the support and encouragement!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2005, 06:35 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Rachel, I had no idea about that part of the website. I have some researchin' to do! I'm suckin' up the fear, girl! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2005, 06:41 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

I had been considering it for weeks when the new deal came out. I worried and worried about the customers and making the minimums. It seems easy now, but it's summer vacation... everything is easy for a few weeks. Finally, my DH, who was supportive, talked me out of it last week. I feel so much better. I can enjoy stamping again. I already have a job, I don't need another one. I just want to enjoy my crafting with my friends and there not be an alterior motive of selling to get in the way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2005, 06:58 PM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

I hate to say it, but with this promotion does it really matter whether you end up finding customers or not? You get a whole color family of stamp pads. That in and of itself would be worth it to me. Also, when you look at what you buy, maybe your demo thinks you purchase enough to be your own best customer. The quarterly minimums are only $300 afterall.

As for saturation, it is a really hard thing to tell by checking the website. But I do know that my area is oversaturated because I kept having people come to parties that weren't just attending parties with one other demo but sometimes 2 or 3! Finding customers isn't always that easy in a saturated town and most of mine have had friends sign up with their deepest appologies to me for having to buy from their friends now.

But as I said, with the great promotion that has absolutely no strings attached, it would be worth it to sign up just to get all those stamp pads. (Unless you already have them all.)

Just my two cents.
I FiNallY DiD iT - TAC AnGeL #2645

Check out my gallery!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2005, 07:17 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boulderstamper
But as I said, with the great promotion that has absolutely no strings attached, it would be worth it to sign up just to get all those stamp pads. (Unless you already have them all.)
Well, I had all 48 ink pads till this year's color shakeup! ;) I want the Rich Regals set since that one had the most changes.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2005, 08:50 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Sheraldine! I agree with everyone that the starter kit promotion is a good deal even if you never get new customers.

I do not think you should worry about how many demo's there are in your area. I have a demo one neighborhood over from me and we've never crossed paths or anything in 1 1/2 yrs since I signed up.

Also, other demo's in your area might not be really trying to find new customers and finally, do you really think it's possible for one demo to reach every potential customer in a town? Highly unlikely. My upline and her upline lived a few neighborhoods apart and they both were in Founders Circle last year. There's room for all of us!

How to find customers? You really have to do workshops outside of your home to meet new people. Friends and family are a great place to start, but to grow a business you need to meet people outside of your circle. Once you do one workshop, you should always strive to book one or more workshops at each workshop. Then your business will thrive!

Being a hobby demo and just getting the discount ain't too shabby either!
: )

Good luck!
Vera
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2005, 06:25 PM   #24  
Glitter Queen

I just signed up and the quarterly minimums was my one hesitation as well... I decided to go for it and see what happens. Even though I moved to this area almost a year ago I still really have no "friends" here yet because I have been working full-time in a town several miles from where I live. I literally know about two people in the neighborhood LOL. However, the good news is that I'm leaving my job in a few weeks... and hope to start holding some stamping/scrapping classes. I don't think a lot of people here have heard of this so if I can get the word out I am hoping I will get a lot of interest. If I find that I am not able to meet the minimums and go inactive is there procedure in place for trying again at some point in the future? Do you have to go through the whole sign-up/starter kit procedure again or is there some other method for re-activating your demo status? I think it may take me a good month or two to get rolling and that doesn't leave me much time to make that $300 (and I can't afford to spend it myself at this point) so it would be nice to know that I can try again without having to spend another $200 for a starter kit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2005, 06:31 PM   #25  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinmom24
I just signed up and the quarterly minimums was my one hesitation as well... I decided to go for it and see what happens. Even though I moved to this area almost a year ago I still really have no "friends" here yet because I have been working full-time in a town several miles from where I live.
I moved shortly after signing up to an area where I knew absolutely no one. Being a demonstrator helped me meet people and make many new friends. I'm actually very shy, unless I'm in a situation where I'm teaching? And, it helped me introduce myself to people, when normally, I would have hung back in the shadows at any and every event, social, etc.

Quote:

If I find that I am not able to meet the minimums and go inactive is there procedure in place for trying again at some point in the future? Do you have to go through the whole sign-up/starter kit procedure again or is there some other method for re-activating your demo status?
At present, the only way to "re-activate" with SU! is to sign up and purchase the starter kit again.

Best wishes of success to you as you launch your new adventure!

Join the demo'r forums here at SCS--there is so much information available in there to help you from demo'rs of all experienced levels!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2005, 02:24 AM   #26  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

Just go for it.. there is nothing to lose... I thought the same thing when I signed up in January and have had no problem finding people to help take care of my minimums... I had an Open House with family and friends and have managed to keep the orders going in... I love seeing that Brown truck coming up my road (he comes when I am at the farm milking so not home when he comes) You do have until the end of the year to make your first $300 minimum and with the 30% off your first Hostess order ($150 or more) you can surely do that!! ;)
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2005, 03:34 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

I went back and forth about becoming a demo so often it became a joke in my house. I sent the paperwork in last week. I'm going to be a hobby demo. The bottom line for me was that I have uncontrolled spending on stamping. Everything was really adding up and I wasn't adding it up as I spent if you know what I mean. I like SU enough that I decided that I would limit ALL my stamping purchases to SU (and I'm not even that wild about most of the new sets, but there's enough I like to keep me going!!).

This means that after the initial 199 plus tax investment, I am committed to spend $240 a quarter (that's the $300 after the 20% demo discount) plus tax and shipping and handling. That comes to $80 a month, or basically $20 a week. I was spending that easily just dropping into Michaels and buying stamping magazines, tape, etc. and that doesn't count going to stamp stores, SU purchases, etc. I meant Stampers Sampler and Take Ten are way expensive!

Plus, I would buy all these cool things and NEVER use them because I am not particularly creative. I like copying other people's work and this site and the SU website plus SU's magazine (which I've gotten to see on line since getting my demo #) are full of great ideas. SU's stuff matches so even my amateur cards look better with SU because the stuff all coordinates. So I'll will actually USE what I buy. I'm selling off my non SU stuff week by week on another site -- the gingerwood bulletin board, which is also full of great folks!! That will pay for my starter kit.

So, no more magazines, I won't renew The Rubber Stamper, even though I like it, I mean NO more stamping purchases other than SU. I know this is an odd approach but it is working for me!! And, if I sell anything to anyone -- even if I share the discount -- then I won't have to even spend the $20 a week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2005, 04:36 AM   #28  
Gabfest Goddess

Don't be scared!

I signed up strictly for the discount. I am my own best customer, that's for sure! My Grandma was the hostess for my first workshop, and it was just family and one family friend there, and it went great! No pressure if you screw up! I have had no problem so far making my minimums. One of my family members has a workshop every few months, and they average about $500-$700. Plus what I order on my own, which is usually $100 or more a month...

I literally have less than 20 customers, half of which are my family, and the rest have ordered once or twice. Don't sweat it!

Good luck and have fun!!!

Jen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2005, 04:58 AM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

Joan B - I love how you broke down those $ amounts. I am always stopping in Michael's and AC Moore and buying stuff I rarely or never use just to use the 40% off coupon. Also I love your idea about selling off stuff you don't use. I think I just found out how to finance my kit w/o having to ask dh to budget it in for the month :-) Also, I didn't realize that the $300 quarterly minimum was BEFORE the 20% discount. I used to sell MK and I had to place a minimum $180 order all at once. Is SU! this way, or can I place smaller orders as long as they add up to $300 quarterly?

Last edited by jamigirl; 08-04-2005 at 04:59 AM.. Reason: spelling error
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2005, 06:41 AM   #30  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamigirl
can I place smaller orders as long as they add up to $300 quarterly?
Yes! You must achieve $300 total sales within each calendar quarter*.

Customer Direct
Hostess (a.k.a. workshop order)
Demonstrator Discount

All the above count towards your sales minimums. Supply orders (order forms, and other business paperwork type items) are the only type of order that do not count towards sales minimums.

*Brand new demonstrators have until the end of their 1st full sales quarter to meet that minimum.

The calendar sales quarters run:

Jan Feb* Mar

Apr May Jun*

July Aug Sept

Oct Nov Dec

For example, if you signed up where the green asterisk is, you will need $300 total sales by the end of the month where the red asterisk is, because Apr May Jun would be your first FULL sales quarter as a demonstrator. After that first full sales quarter, you must meet the $300 minimum sales by the end of the last month of each quarter.

Does that make sense?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2005, 06:56 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

An additional comment to Julie's....

Yes, 300.00 in a quarter anyway you can get it, however it is beneficial for you to do this in at least 150.00 as a hostess order (i.e., you get 15.00 in free merchandise AND a free level 1 stamp set)...

deb

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2005, 11:20 AM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

Red face Stepping on toes..

So, my demo is moving out of state and a lady in our "group" has decided to be a demo. I soooo want to, but our group is not big enough to support 2 demonstrators! I am a stay at home mom and don't get out much except stamping with these ladies. After reading this thread (an spending embarrassing amounts of time on this web site) I REALLY want to be a demonstrator!
Also, I cannot convince my husband that this is the greatest deal EVER for $200. He doesn't have much of an idea of what I spend on stamping stuff ( and I am not sure that he needs too I can't meet the minimums myself. Does anyone have any advice???

And one more question...do they have deals like the free stamp pads at other times, or is this a new thing and a one time only thing?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2005, 06:39 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

With respect to "deals" or promotions, as SU calls them --SU's policy is to have different types of promotions targeted at different audiences. They don't announce them in advance. A few months ago it was $30 off the starter kit, now it is a free family of ink pads. They may or may not have another one again targeted at recruiting demos, but I suspect they will as it is in SU's interest to recruit demos -- but no guarantees on that -- just my uneducated opinion.

With respect to the money and the husband issue (LOL), that's a harder one to address. I would not have become a hobby demo if my husband objected simply because I love him and don't want to rock the boat (his hobbies -- running and playing his guitar cost virtually zip!!). It just wouldn't be worth it to me to have friction over this type of issue. However, he was fine with it after I explained that it would cost us less in the long run. Also, he was impressed by the fact that I'm selling off a lot of non SU stuff and cleaning up my stamping area(s)! good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2005, 12:14 PM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

Default Go For It!

I say Go For It! This is a great promotion and the starter kit is an incentive in itself. There is loads of support and ideas on-line on the SU! website once you sign up. I finally joined as a demo in April. There are so many ways to find customers and build your business and the website and the demonstrator manual gives you lots of great ideas. I talk about Stampin' Up every where I go because I love stamping and run into new customers everywhere. Initially, I sent introductory letters out to family and friends and got three phones calls and bookings the very next day from friends I hadn't spoken to in ages! They called me and I was fretting over the follow-up calls. Don't be afraid. While bookings are a great source of business, there are many other ways to build your customer base and tons of support through SU!, other demos, online, from your upline, and more. Give it a try. You won't regret it. It is fun and flexible, and you can build your business at your own pace and get all your own supplies at a discount!

Sandi Dornhecker
Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
[email protected]
http://www.sandistamps.stampinup.net
Visit my gallery.

Last edited by Sadornhecker; 08-31-2005 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: Error
Reply With Quote Likes