Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-05-2016, 11:43 AM   #41  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

jeanne3579, how long have you had your Gelli plate? I ask, because i was told that the recent Gelli plates are not as good as the first ones that came out. I was told that either they are now made by a different company, or that the actual recipe has changed, and that the new ones do not perform as well as the original ones.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2016, 12:05 PM   #42  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a couple Gelli Plates from Gelli Arts (which has the cool, two-minute videos) and an original, and they perform identically for me. (I learned by watching early Patti Parrish videos. Then I attended a little workshop at my LSS where I was the only student, so got a private lesson.)

As I read about struggles, I keep thinking how sometimes having a good teacher or coach can help us tweak what isn't working when we veer off course.

Sometimes practice does the trick, and videos can be amazingly helpful, but when veering off course, now and then nothing can beat an actual human with eyes on us. Just my take. : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2016, 12:36 PM   #43  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would really like to find a good template for making a "Magic Card". The "pull out" sticks on the sides, the picture isn't in the center. Really a cool card, anyone have some suggestions? I would really grateful.
Thank you, BevieBee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2016, 12:44 PM   #44  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Geli For Newbies

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
I have a couple Gelli Plates from Gelli Arts (which has the cool, two-minute videos) and an original, and they perform identically for me. (I learned by watching early Patti Parrish videos. Then I attended a little workshop at my LSS where I was the only student, so got a private lesson.)

As I read about struggles, I keep thinking how sometimes having a good teacher or coach can help us tweak what isn't working when we veer off course.

Sometimes practice does the trick, and videos can be amazingly helpful, but when veering off course, now and then nothing can beat an actual human with eyes on us. Just my take. : )
I had a problem w/ the paint drying to fast. I became very disappointed w/ the results. Then I read an article on the best paint to use & an agent to add slow the drying process. Haven't tried it yet, card making is #1.;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2016, 02:00 PM   #45  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Muscrat - Try and find Barbara Gray's youtube. She is a master brayer expert. She owns Clarity stamps and brayering is her expertize.

My Blog

Last edited by Kathleen Mc; 10-05-2016 at 02:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2016, 06:22 PM   #46  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 743 Likes on 362 Posts

Thank you Elle-I will keep that in mind!

I agree about live assistance-and it doesnt have to be a teacher either-friends have often helped me over hurdles.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2016, 07:19 PM   #47  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 260 Likes on 141 Posts

Silverwolf,
I have had my gelli plate since April of this year. My friend and I gave each other one for our birthdays. (Guess great minds think alike!) We both had trouble, following a gal (I can't remember who right now) who did marvelous things with hers. BelieBee, the paint drying too fast was exactly what we had a problem with. What is the paint and agent you discovered? I'd love to try it. Card-making is #1 with me, too, but I would use the results for cards, as that is what the video was suggesting. Thanks for they help. You guys are the greatest.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2016, 10:22 PM   #48  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,087 Likes on 832 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BevieBeeView Post
I would really like to find a good template for making a "Magic Card". The "pull out" sticks on the sides, the picture isn't in the center. Really a cool card, anyone have some suggestions? I would really grateful.
Thank you, BevieBee
My personal suggestion for making sure the images match exactly: I started making these so long ago that most of mine aren't even in my gallery here. With dies for apertures, it's all much easier now. But I still stamp the image on a larger piece of acetate than I need, and then position it very carefully over the cardstock panel and trim it to size. I find that much easier than trying to stamp it precisely on a piece of acetate already cut to size. Centring the image on the cardstock shouldn't be an issue if you use a StampamaJig or any other positioning system. I've never had a problem with the pullout sticking, so no suggestions there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2016, 12:59 AM   #49  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

HERE is a link to Barbara Gray and her Gelli plate videos, she really is very good.
Also, one to Lavinia Stamps Tracey Dutton. She has ones on Gelli plates, and on brayering in general.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2016, 05:08 AM   #50  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by BevieBeeView Post
I had a problem w/ the paint drying to fast. I became very disappointed w/ the results. Then I read an article on the best paint to use & an agent to add slow the drying process. Haven't tried it yet, card making is #1.;)
A bit of paint retarder could help. And sometimes not using enough paint is the culprit. If the layer is too thin, it will quickly dry out. Moving quickly matters too.

I mostly use Liquitex and Michael's Basics. I also use Studio Calico's paint because I happen to have a lot of their teeny tubes. Any craft acrylic paint can work.

A little trick: if you have leftover dried paint on the plate, and cover it well with white paint, you can pull a print that will remove all or most of the dried paint, and it's sometimes neat looking, or parts of it will be.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2016, 06:19 AM   #51  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks bjeans. I used Liquitex and HB brand. Since we moved, I don't have easy access to a Michael's, and I really miss it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2016, 07:13 AM   #52  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I also have trouble getting smooth blending with distress inks. I've watched lots of videos and have tried using a lighter touch, starting off of the paper, using the round rather than the rectangular blending tool, and holding the tool at an angle, but I often get lines/dark patches from the blending tool. I keep trying, though. ��
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2016, 08:04 AM   #53  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie718View Post
I also have trouble getting smooth blending with distress inks. I've watched lots of videos and have tried using a lighter touch, starting off of the paper, using the round rather than the rectangular blending tool, and holding the tool at an angle, but I often get lines/dark patches from the blending tool. I keep trying, though. ��
The paper itself can make a difference. Your technique may be fine. : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2016, 08:20 AM   #54  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Beth is right, paper makes a huge difference, but it doesn't get mentioned often. I've had great results with Neenah Solar White cardstock - smooth blends, even coverage and the tool just glides over the paper. I used a different cardstock (something that came from a kit) one time by accident, and it was a streaky mess. I couldn't figure it out until I realized that I grabbed the wrong cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2016, 08:57 PM   #55  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks, bjeans and Creative Cardsea. It makes sense that the paper could be the issue. I will try the Neenah Solar White.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2016, 05:40 AM   #56  
Rubber Obsessor

To jeanne3579...I use really inexpensive acrylic paints for Gelli plate and usually are too heavy handed and learning less is more. They will dry quickly so I add a small amount of Golden Soft gel to keep them more fluid. If I add water, it does not get a good result. I also find that you need to use stencils, or objects for various designs that have detailed surfaces; improves the look. I just used leaves from my garden and really enjoyed the look. Using lots of hand pressure and smoothing out your paper over the plate increases the design also. Not all pulls are the same, some are surprising and others just go in the trash. it is a process for sure. Enjoy

Eloise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2016, 05:43 AM   #57  
Rubber Obsessor

I have not been able to master the blending of distress inks either. Practice I guess is the key. It looks easy and I don't get the nice even blended look.

Eloise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2016, 09:03 AM   #58  
Pearl-ExPert

ejluyk, thanks for your advise of the Golden Soft Gel. It's on my list!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2016, 06:04 PM   #59  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watercolor and using distress inks without blotches and circular images from the sponge! I have so many supplies for both and I'm bound and determined to get through my water color classes that I signed up for from Craftsy, Jennifer McGuire, etc. I want so much to make smooth transitions in color using distress inks. Some day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2016, 12:02 PM   #60  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
You know....I have the embossing buddy and that powder tool Jennifer and Kristina uses but I still end up with flecks! What's up with that? LOL
Do you flick really hard? That eliminates most but if you are really picky, you'll just have to use a paintbrush to remove them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2016, 12:07 PM   #61  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinindieeditorView Post
I struggle with making beautiful one-layer cards with just an image and a sentiment. I think mine look amateur.
I want to master that so I can make several at a time and have a stack of quick cards.
Another thing I suck at is sponging backgrounds with Tim Holtz distress pads. I think it's the sponging that sucks, and I've tried it using the nonstick sheet he sells and just plain paper and sponging from outside in, but I never get the color to fade into another prettily like everyone else seems to do. I want to master this technique to emulate the beautiful backgrounds one can make with a piece of white cardstock and inks.
Try Laura Bassens tutorials. She spends a lot of time and adds very little ink bit by bit in layers. The pressure has to be almost not there when you start. I've been able to do a good job when following her instructions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2016, 12:11 PM   #62  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoBear2View Post
I struggle with cards that are anything other than a fold in the centre eg: a centre step card, gatefold etc! I get so messed up with measuring and scoring and 9 times out of 10, it's a bin job :( I check and re-check my measurements too! It frustrates me no end! I do like cards that are shaped differently but they certainly challenge me: I shall NOT give up!!
What you need to do is find the measurements and mark them on your scoring board. For gatefold especially, the measurements are always the same. For other styles, work on printer paper until you get it right then save it as a template to use in the future!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2016, 12:23 PM   #63  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejluykView Post
I have not been able to master the blending of distress inks either. Practice I guess is the key. It looks easy and I don't get the nice even blended look.
Altenew just sent an email about a new 6-session blending class they're offering starting October 21st with their inks and Distress inks. Very inexpensive and code EIBEB20OFF for 20% off. Their inks are dye inks, btw, so other quality dye inks should work, along with Distress.

I can apply and blend Distress inks if it's heavy, darker coverage, but am not good at the airy, light look, which really bugs me, so I registered. My sense is that the inks are being applied with a very light touch, but don't go by me.

Products |
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2016, 12:28 PM   #64  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
You know....I have the embossing buddy and that powder tool Jennifer and Kristina uses but I still end up with flecks! What's up with that? LOL
Like Rebecca Ednie mentioned, a paintbrush for the last few stubborn flecks. Even Jennifer McGuire uses one, and links to the paintbrush she uses, but you just need is a really tiny, thin brush so so you don't dislodge powder.

You can also gently flick the back of the card.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2016, 12:36 PM   #65  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I struggle with drawing and making my handwriting look pretty. I can do calligraphy but it's slow and only looks good with a dip pen. But dip pen isn't good on some Cardstock and I prefer to not spend all day writing my message in a card.

As for coloring white objects there is a difference between shading and shadows. Shadows should have a hard(ish) line and reflected light as someone above mentioned. However, depending on the type and angle of light you are depicting, you may have shading to do as well. For instance, a pot with flowers in it. And your light is coming from the top right. (Most people show light as being from above and on one side.) Unless the flowers and leaves are tiny, they will cast a shadow on the pot. That would leave a hard edge to their bottom left in the rough shape of the flowers and leaves. If the pot has a lip, that would also make a hard shadow. But as the pot curves away from the light, you need a blended, gradual darkening of the pot to the left. Put a can next to your lamp and really look at it. You'll see what I mean.

The reflection of light occurs when light bounces off other objects. This is most often depicted to the far left of an object as a slightly lighter (but not pure white) line. If your pot sits on grass and you want to be very accurate, the reflection might be pale green. And the bottom of the pot would probably have a pale green reflection too. And if it was next to a tree, the reflection would be brown etc. The shinier an object is, the more distinct the reflections are and the more you need to make it look realistic. A diamond needs far more reflections than a pearl for instance. An object can definitely (and usually) have shading and shadows at the same time. It can get complicated! I tend to shade first and sometimes I leave it like that. If I want more realism, I add the hard shadows.

Most people don't add enough contrast to images. Try taking a photo of your coloring and look at it. Cameras have a limited range so will show you if your colours are too pale or lack contrast. So if your white objects don't look right, try adding more colour.

I prefer to use cool greys only on metal objects or snow if it's a night scene. For most white objects I use BG 10, 11, 13, 15 which are aquas or warm greys. For ivory I use E 40s or 50s. The aquas are great for snow. If you use warm greys on snow, it looks dirty. Hope this helps!

Last edited by Rebecca Ednie; 10-11-2016 at 12:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2016, 02:49 PM   #66  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 743 Likes on 362 Posts

Thank you Rebecca. I will keep this all in mind.

That just leaves the odd bit...AI is famous for having a white bow tie or belt or plate under cake-and it just looks iike you missed coloring a part. I am wondering if doing a light outline of the whole image would help with that if it is an exterior piece to the image. I dont know what to do for when it is in the middle of the image.

Obviously-I dont have to leave it white just b/c they did in the index...I am just using that as an example hopefully a lot of people recognize. Maybe I want to leave a section of clothes white or whatever. Sometimes the piece is so thin it is hard to do any shading but it still sticks out visually. I hope that makes sense.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2016, 02:56 PM   #67  
Gallery Gazer

wavejumper, assuming I'm following what you're saying, would it help in that case to use an off-white/cream/ivory card stock instead of bright white?

I'm not a big colorer, but when watercoloring or even piecing together die cuts or scissored shapes, sometimes a bright white card stock like Neenah Solar White is too stark and "contrasty" in the negative space or areas that aren't a color.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2016, 03:00 PM   #68  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathleen McView Post
Muscrat - Try and find Barbara Gray's youtube. She is a master brayer expert. She owns Clarity stamps and brayering is her expertize.
AGree, she's amazing. I watched hr Clarity brush videos several times. I wish i could sign up via email to get her video updates, but haven't been able to.
Reply With Quote Likes