Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-02-2006, 07:27 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tell me about your crops!

Hi guys, I'm wanting to start a monthly crop for my customers and I'd love to pick your brains. What do you expect to be provided at a crop (supplies). What are you expected to bring to a crop. What kind of refreshments are provided. How long does your crop run. And lastly what do you consider a fair price. Basically tell me everything you love about the crops that you go to!

Thanks a ton,
Sarah
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2006, 02:21 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Smile

The crops I attend are hosted by a CM consultant-the price is 10.00. She supplies dinner-ex. subs, pizza, salad, etc. She also supplies all the cutting systems she has and punches, pens, idea books. She also provides the info. on the latest things available for purchase. She gives a ticket for door prizes and if you bring a drink/snack to share you earn 2 extra tickets for door prizes. We usually start @ 6:00 or 6:30 and don't leave until 11:00 or 12:00.

She does an excellent job!!!! Having said that-please allow me to add this. She's working way to hard at this- the dinner is simply too much work for her- I've tried to convince her just to do the share a snack/drink thing. But she feels by charging 10.00 she should provide this. The room we use doesn't cost anything to reserv so there's no expense involved. By providing the cutting system and other things and by providing a scheduled time to get some scrappin done that's enough to cover the cost of the crop. We bring our own projects to work on and usually everything we need to complete our pages. But it's nice to have adhesive available to purchase in case you run out during the event.

Here's just a thought- instead of providing food/dinner -why not charge $15 for the crop, provide the supplies for a make & take layout. Usually if I see it demo'd I buy it-And if you purchase X amount of money you deduct $5 from the crop fee! You're customers go home w/a new idea, at least one completed page and you increase your sales.

Sorry this is so long! Hope it helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2006, 03:16 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

I just hosted one where I charged $45 for 10 spreads plus two bonus ones. It was way too much - as most people didn't finish and didn't get to the bonus spreads. (you can ssee them all in my gallery) I tried to keep it simple and used lots of wheels etc....but it was still too much to try to complete in one day. I do have to pay to rent the clubhouse and that was $35. I only provided a couple of 2 liters of soda and pretzels. Everyone brought their own lunch and they also brought a basic supply kit including their own adhesive, scissors and paper cutters. I supplied all the paper and embellishments. Most people said I didn't charge enough - but I wanted a price point where people would actually come and one that wasn't too low - so that I didn't have 20-30 people sign up. I had 8 people come which was more than enough since I supplied all the stamp sets and ink too - if I had had more people - it would have been impossible to set up since I don't have duplicate stamp sets, ink or very many duplicate tools. It turned out pretty nice and I am going to do it again - although I think next time will be for about half of the projects that I tried to do this time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2006, 04:14 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

What do you expect to be provided at a crop (supplies). What are you expected to bring to a crop:
I don't expect anything at a CROP - a WORKSHOP I would expect projects and supplies but at a CROP I would expect to bring my own items to work on. If the demo had stamps available like letters or whatever, or had paper for sale by the sheet that would be great, but other than that a place to bring my things (i.e. enough room to spread out) and great company is all that I require! I also don't expect but it would be great if we had samples to look through of layouts, etc. for ideas.

What kind of refreshments are provided. How long does your crop run:
For $5 which is what the crop I go to each month charges, we are provide with a snack and a drink. I think that is enough for a crop, I really don't see the need to have more than that as it takes away from your time from the crop. That would be saying for a 4-hour crop, like 6-10 at night. A longer one obviously would require different than that, I think the full-day one that I go to is $20 and there is drinks and snack table and one meal provided, that is for an 8-hour crop. Also the $20 provides a goody bag of paper and stickers and a raffle ticket for prizes.

And lastly what do you consider a fair price.
I think the monthly come with your stuff and get a snack for $5 is great. I would probably pay $10 for the same if it wasn't at her house - when we went to the church hall with a different group it was $10. I think the $20 for the day was fair also, $20-25 for 8 hours of crop time and a meal, I think we all brought a snack for the snack table like a plate of brownies or a bag of chips. She provided the drinks which were soda or coffee or iced tea.

Basically tell me everything you love about the crops that you go to!
Well that is about the crops I go to in this area. I haven't had good luck starting my own so I go to hers since sometimes I like to crop with other people. She always has a lot of table space which I like, but the fact that I dont' always use CM makes me a bit nervous as I want to pull out other stuff like stamps sometimes but I want to be respectful of her business also. So I actually prefer to do my scrapbooking at home. What I would love is to find a crop in the area that I can just pay a fee and scrap and not worry about what I am using or not using. I don't want to go to a workshop to buy more stuff or get more ideas, I have plenty of those, I just want a good crop place with people to get together.

So that said hope that helps from one perspective. I have been scrapping for 7 years but never get a chance to do much withthe kids being around and too tired at night to pull it all out, so the occasional crop is fun sometimes.

Oh and NO KIDS!!!! That just totally does away with the whole purpose of getting out of the house without my own!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2006, 05:46 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

I guess I should revise mine to say it was a workshop - not really a crop - as people made pre-planned projects.
Reply With Quote Likes