Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-27-2005, 02:14 PM   #1  
Abbe-licious

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a profit to be made in SU?

I would like to get into it, am actually thinking through it, but what i would like to know is how many of you actually come out on top at the end of the year with an actual profit. And I mean in dollars, not stamps :lol:
TIA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2005, 02:42 PM   #2  
Inking Addict

I confess to having a thinner wallet but a bigger smile at the end of the year from all the fun I've had stamping and the joy I've gotten from seeing smile on people's faces at stamp camps when they receive one of my handmade cards. :oops:

No, I don't make a profit, but that was never my goal.

Suzanne
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2005, 02:43 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

In dollars??? Shoot ...

Seriously, my upline does make a profit. I haven't yet, but I keep on buying those dang stamp sets and accessories! I think if you run your demo-ship like a business then you can make a profit. It just takes forethought. I am doing it to let it pay for my goodies, so I spend all my instant income w/ each order. But I love it!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2005, 02:53 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Before I became a demo I was my demos' best customer. Now, I am my own best customer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2005, 03:07 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I don't think I'll really ever make a profit, just like to buy too much stuff for myself, but my upline has been a demo almost as long as the company has been in business, and she make a great profit, but she has something like 1000 people in her overall downline. I think you just have to realize it's not an immediate thing, but if you stick with it and really work on building your downline, it can become very profitable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2005, 03:25 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default profit

I haven't made a profit either and my husband lets me know!!!! I do have fun.

Liz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2005, 03:28 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My upline who started in 1990 makes a living at it. Neither I nor any demos I know make a profit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2005, 03:36 PM   #8  
Abbe-licious

I don't expect to make a ton of money just starting out, but I know if I end up in the red at the end of the year, DH won't be too happy either. I have a pretty good asst. of stamping supplies right now, so its not like I have to buy, buy, buy everything in sight, just keep the basics on hand. Let me ask you this, do any of you at least break even?
If I can convince my DH, I do plan on signing up, I just want to have all my ducks in a row before I sit down with my DH.
Anybody else know what I mean?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2005, 03:36 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

I just finished my first year. Last year, I spent roughly twice what I earned. But it was worst during the first 6 months. Most of the last 6 months I spent about what I earned. Some of that was due to classes that I taught in addition to orders.

I do have a goal to make at least a little money this year. At the end of January, I've only spent about $10 more than I made... And I still have a workshop...

My upline says that the key is recruiting. A lot of the money that she makes is due to her downline. (if you didn't know, based on your monthly sales, SU will pay you a certain percentage of your downline's earnings each month. No, it doesn't come out of their pay...)

Then there's also the thing to remember that there are lots of freebies that Stampin' Up! gives you. Things like great rewards. Not money, but it does have value! :-)

Good luck!

Stampin' Up! demonstrator with a website!

What Can Lightbulb Do For You?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2005, 03:38 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

Everything I buy (and there is a lot of it) is paid for thru my earnings...so, if I stopped buying, the answer would be yes, I make a profit. But as it is, I break even.

Michelle N

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/michellenstamps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2005, 03:49 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm with the crowd who spends everything earned plus. :lol: I enjoy the products, enjoy the company and the comaraderie - but as for monetary profit....Nope, but that wasn't my intent anyway. I wanted to pay for my stamping habit. BUT, if you consider making lasting friendships through S.U. and having a wonderful hobby that doesn't cost too much, it's the best thing you can do for yourself. If you're already spending money on stamps and stamp pads and accessories, you'll be happy becoming a demo and having your friends and acquaintenances order from you, then spending the profits you make. If you can "only" spend your profits.

Good luck with your decision.

"I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2005, 03:50 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

I think so, but I think you have to go about it a certain way.
Instead of going wild buying stamps and accessories, see how much mileage you can get out of a set. Consider what you are buying. Consider What your customer base wants.
Consider who your customer base will be. Do you have friends who are interested? Neighbors? Where will your revenue come from?

I think money can be made, you just need to consider it a business and approach it as a business.

That said, take my words with a shaker of salt, I'm a demo, but only a hobby one and I make no revenue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2005, 03:54 PM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

I was like you. I had a pretty good supply before I became a Demo. I didn't buy any extras at first & paid for a trip to NYC with my SU $$ I made. My Brother lives there, so just a plane ticket & spending money. I know the $ is there to make.

Now that I am a member of SCS I spend pretty much what I make. I just keep getting more & more with all the ideas I see. It is more about self control. If you have that, you will make a profit.

Amy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2005, 03:54 PM   #14  
Embossing Fanatic

SU is my second go around at a home based business. I have to say the first time was a huge failure! When I started with SU I conserved and didn't go crazy until I replenished what my started kit cost! Which only took 3 months! I do a lot on the side teaching kids at schools, Stamp Camps and stamp a stacks. That is where my profit comes from. Last year I took a trip to Jamaica all thanks to SU! I guess the profit depends on what activities you do! If I was just doing home shows I wouldn't see a profit because I can't control ordering new stampin goodies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2005, 03:54 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've shown a profit in 3 out of 4 years. I've been BAD at trying to be profitable...I've spent a couple thousand each year. As with any business, you are likely to be in the red at the end of the first year and possibly the second. However, if you are careful, spend responsibly and stay in control, you should be able to turn a profit. It is important to keep track of all your expenses, especially mileage, as that helps how things look on the books.

I just did my taxes for this past year. I was really naughty and spent way too much on stamps and stuff I didn't really need. I was horrible at keeping my mileage and consequently I know I really should've been in the red instead of showing a $300 profit. Truly, though, I overspent big time!

It might be a good idea to use the Quarterback System...put 25% back into your business, 25% aside for savings, 25% aside for taxes (this'll probably translate into extra money since you won't need 25% for taxes, especially at first) and 25% for ...oops, I forgot what the last 25% is for. I'm sure someone will chime in. You could put the last 25% into the family budget. When I was using this system, I put it back into my business so that I was reinvesting 50% at first. Startup is the costliest.

Like someone else said, you could be your own best customer. If you are spending $1000 on stamps right now, it's no different than being in the red $1000 as a demo. Chances are you won't be $1000 in the red as a demo because of the discount and some profit from workshops.

Good luck and go for it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2005, 04:38 PM   #16  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Making a Profit in SU

I am sure that folks with a fab downline make money. My husband just did our taxes and he said well "You didn't make any money, but your instant earnings bought you a lot of stamps." Then he astonded me by saying "I think that is just great."

One of the things that I have been doing lately is sponsoring classes. I have room for six people and I have filled -- actually overfilled classes :o ! In the past week I have taught two (don't think I'll do that again real soon as it is intense). One was on embossing (one gal said it was 'embossing bootcamp') and last night's class was making trivets using Pearl Ex and versa mark for the background and for coloring in, then Stazon inks and stamps. Everyone e-mailed me today about how much they loved their trivets! Because of the two classes I have sold the most ever in a month since my Stampin' Start month.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2005, 04:40 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

I have not made a profit either! But i am as happy as can be with all my stamps!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2005, 05:04 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

I have spent all of my earnings and then some. However, when I analyze how I do on each party net of my costs, I usually end up making about minium wage for my time. I became a demo for the discount, not to make money. I make a lot more money as a part-time CPA.

I do think however, the potential is there if you are serious about it. I think it also depends on your personality and your ability to sell. The best way to really increase your earnings is to develop and support a downline.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2005, 05:05 PM   #19  
Compulsive Stamper

Default profit....hmmm

I purposely spend my earnings. I don't want to send the profits I do make to uncle sam in self employed income tax. I would rather use it to buy more stamps. So I break even.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2005, 05:23 PM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

I've been a demo for 2 1/2 years and I would say I make a profit, just barely. The key is making your customers into stampers so that they will "NEED" more stamps, inks, papers and accesories. I keep two stampers 10 clubs going all the time. I hold three sessions of stamp camp every month and am almost always filled. I also have a customer who books a "stamp-a-stack" workshop (20 cards for $15, including envelopes) every month, with an additional average sales of $200 and that keeps me going. I'm able to buy new accessories & sets to feed my addiction AND keep my customers interested in the newest and neatest things. There is also a little $ left over to pay a bill or two each month. I'm sure if I had a bigger downline, I'd have a little $ left over for play as well. It does take time and effort (I won't say work, because it is TOO much fun) to get a loyal customer base, though, and for the first 6 to 8 months you probably won't come out "ahead."

One last piece of advice; if you're going SU!, go 100%. Don't substitute eyelets, ribbons, brads, mono or even envelopes from another craft or paper store in your workshop or camps. If SU! doesn't sell it, you don't need it! Be your own best, 100% loyal customer. SU! sells high quality merchandise and while it may be a little cheaper to run to the craft store with your 40% off coupon for eyelets or metal edge tags, it undercuts your position as a demonstrator if you let your customer know that there is somewhere else she can get it. Besides that, you don't earn Instant Income, Volume Rebate, Great Rewards Points, Cruise Points, free mini catalogs or any other demo incentive from money you (or your customers) spend somewhere else. I want to add that "craft" stamping (dominoes or tiles, for example) may require purchasing those items somewhere else, but nothing but the best (SU!) should stamp on it!

Good luck with your decision. Stampin' Up! is the best! It makes work play!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2005, 05:28 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I, too, have been debating whether or not to become a demo. If you need to make money in order to be a demo, I recommend that you do a "business plan." Write down how much you would need to invest in cash and time for the first year. Do you have any potential customers? How comfortable are you asking friends, family and strangers to buy things? I'm convinced that some folks are born sellers. I'm not. I hate asking my own mother to buy my son's wrapping paper at school! If you don't have a built in circle of stampers/customers and don't like to sell, then I doubt you will make money.

On the other hand, if you love the product and love to sell, and are willing to put the time and initial investment into it, then do the business plan and see if it makes financial sense. There are books in the library and stuff on the web about business plans. If, however, you hate to sell and don't have a group of customers in the wings, you might want to take a pass!

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2005, 05:36 PM   #22  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I think for the first year if I stick to spending only what I make I should be ok.. DH was impressed that I had $175 order and only had to spend $11. Think he likes me selling better than spending the $175.. ;) I think it's going to be a fun yet challenging year to not buy EVERYTHING I want!!
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2005, 05:47 PM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

I'd settle for breaking-even! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2005, 05:56 PM   #24  
Glitter Queen

Glad to see so many down-to-earth answers. I joined as a demo a couple of years ago, not to sell, but to get the rebate - more importantly to be able to legitimize my stamp additiction. not to say, I'm a happy demo, I just don't demo anything. Or mostly not. i do commissioned work and classes, and that pays off, too. But at least I get a tax break out of my addiction, a much happier husband bacause most of the money spent is sor tof money earned.

Can I quit my full time job as an IT professional and make up for it? Probably in about a hundred years or so, or when I build a 1000 person downline (did I mention, I don't really do recruits either;-).

Whoever said that the clue to success is recruiting, is painfully correct. That is the nature of multi-level marketing (MBA speak for companies like SU, Tupperware, Mary Kay etc). You don't really need to sell a lot, if you can recruit people who will do it for you;-)

Whatever you choose to do, be realistic about it - and HAVE FUN! I am doubly blessed - I have a well-paying day-time job I actually love! My SU business is just the icing on the cake - and I am quite happy passing most of that icing to my 4-yr old anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2005, 06:09 PM   #25  
Forum Fanatic

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Stamp Club

I don't really make money from selling stamps, but I do from a monthly stamp club I have. I have around 16 people each month. I was only charging $5 to do three projects, but I'm increasing it to $7 now. I feel more comfortable selling a service versus products (even though I love SU). I have people that come that don't order, but some that order quite a bit. I have definitely made back my investment in my starter kit, and gotten many stamp sets, pads and paper. All of this is for the CLUB/business of course. I'm not making an incredible amount, but hope to have made at least $1500 from January to December. I'm getting ready to sell at craft fairs too.

I have family and close friends who also have a lot of stamps and supplies that I can borrow for the club, so that has saved me money too. I keep track of mileage and all my receipts. I've tried to be good and not go crazy, although there is definitely temptation.

And it's flexible since I have kiddos. But most importantly, it's really FUN. I get so enthused from the ladies in my stamp club. They are awesome.

I don't think you have anything to lose by trying it out. I got into for the discount on stamps, but I've sold almost $2000 worth of SU stuff in six months without really trying too much. Plus, you'll love getting the surprise free stuff in the mail like the Sincere Salutations set we got at Xmas, rebate checks, etc.

Best wishes on whatever you decide!!! -Donna (donna3d)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2005, 06:43 PM   #26  
Sawyer's Texas LOSTie

I know my demo makes good money, but it's a full time job for her - she definitley has a mind for business. She does at least four Stamp Camps per year, tons of workshops, has several Stamper 10 groups, and probably a large downline (I don't really know about that!). She's absolutely awesome!

I've considered signing up, but if I can't make a full-time deal than I don't want to commit to it right now. And I LOVE my demo - she's one of a kind (and one of my best friends)!!

The money is there to make, probably not right away, but I know it's possible.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2005, 08:04 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm on year 4 and I've made a profit. The first year was tough....I started demo-ing without even knowing anything about it and no supplies at all! I pay for piano lessons and I get what I want - I buy exclusively SU unless they don't carry what I need.
There are 3 or 4 demos in my neighborhood and we all have done well by organizing clubs, stamp camps, etc. They are my friends!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2005, 02:37 AM   #28  
Abbe-licious

Thanks everyone,
You have given me much to think about. If I do sign up, I will already for sure have a loyal faithful few (about 5 or 6), and more now and thens. A customer base I don't have to worry about. I don't mind breaking even, but really don't want to see too much red at the end of the year either.
I'll keep you posted as to what decision we come to. Thanks for all your help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2005, 03:40 AM   #29  
Mad Swapper

I made money. You just have to refrain from spending it all. But what little I made (I dont have lots of workshops) it paid a bill here and there bought a few groceries. It would have been more if I didn't buy another stamp set. Which as we all know isn't easy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2005, 04:01 AM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

i break even too, but i kind of planned on that from the beginning. The only scrapbooking and stamping supplies (personal use) I get are purchased using $$ that i get from workshops. If i didn't get all that stuff, I'd probably make a bit of a profit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2005, 04:08 AM   #31  
Stampin' Fool

Not SU, but I was a "candle lady" for about two years. It's all in how you want to run your business. For me, it was more of a hobby and what profits I did make (there actually WAS $$$ to be made) I put right back into product for ME!!! Don't know about SU, but as a candle consultant there were monthly sales contests and if certain $$$ amounts were met, you earned free product. I tried (and succeeded most of the time) in earning the "free" stuff so that the $$$ I did make I spent on stuff I actually knew I personally wanted. You have to set your mind from the very beginning with 1) am I doing this for income or 2) am I doing this to supplement my addition??? Good luck in your decision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2005, 04:35 AM   #32  
Mad Swapper

For the first 2 years, I didn't make money - but that's okay, cause then I didn't have to pay taxes either!

This year, I will have a profit. I have also been saving my earnings for convention this year AND a trip to Vegas with my DH!

I am happy to say that this business gives me all the money I want to buy whatever stamps/accessories I want AND extra money to do as I choose: vacations/clothes/special things for the kids/etc.

I have 3 members in my downline, but honestly, they are really hobby demos, so I really don't see alot of profit from them.

My trick is to take the money I get each month for commission and put it aside. Any money from Instant earnings is up for grabs if I need anything.

I have never felt pressured in this business - that is what I love about it! The products sell themselves - all I have to do is show how to use them.

I really think that if I put the time into it, it really could turn into a full time business for me when the kids go to school. I would love to be able to stay at home all the time instead of going to a 8-5 job again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2005, 04:44 AM   #33  
Compulsive Stamper

For me SU started out as a hobby. Even when I signed up I did so for the discount as I was placing $75-$100 orders each time I attended a workshop which was about every six weeks. My business has grown tremendously over the past three years. Will power is the key. I definitely make money on my workshops especially if I try to use what I have on hand and not buy too much. Also, sharing sets with other demonstrators in my area has helped a lot. My upline and another demonstrator/friend share & borrow constantly. As a matter of fact, I always check with them before ordering new sets to see if they may already have them.

I truly love the people I've met. They have become good friends. I don't even do workshops in other people's homes any longer. I just hold two workshops a month in my home, invite my regulars (about25) usually end up with 10-12 people per workshop. A very manageable amount and probably profit between $300-400 per month. I try and use just my hostess credit to replenish my supplies or order new sets. Every now and then I lose control and place a good sized order with just stuff I've had on my wish list. I hope this helps! Last year I paid for our family vacation by just saving my commission checks each month. I have three people in my downline. My husband was impressed by my "vacation fund" and has stopped complaining about the stamp "crap" he says I always have all over the place. Good luck making your decision.

Michelle in Massachusetts
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2005, 04:48 AM   #34  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrabbyAbbe
I don't expect to make a ton of money just starting out, but I know if I end up in the red at the end of the year, DH won't be too happy either. I have a pretty good asst. of stamping supplies right now, so its not like I have to buy, buy, buy everything in sight, just keep the basics on hand. Let me ask you this, do any of you at least break even?
If I can convince my DH, I do plan on signing up, I just want to have all my ducks in a row before I sit down with my DH.
Anybody else know what I mean?
Think about tax time...not only do your stamp sets pay for themselves, but as a business you get to write off everything you buy related to your business.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2005, 05:04 AM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

I spend pretty much what I make, BUT, I'd spend that anyway, and now my business pays for my habit! It all depends on how you look at it. Spending less on supplies is in reality a profit!
Reply With Quote Likes