Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-16-2006, 01:35 PM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are they THAT bad??

Okay, here's the deal. I finally, after a year of lurking and posting, set up a gallery about a week ago. I think my cards are pretty, but I'm getting very few comments. A number of folks seem to be looking, but not many are saying anything. I look at other galleries, and they have like 20 comments on a card and I have none.:confused: I know, you're ready to call the WWWWWAAAAAAmbulance, but would you take a peek and tell it to me straight?

Lisa Loiselle's Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

Thanks!
"Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" Mt. 6:21

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2006, 01:42 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

I just browed your gallery quickly and I think your cards are very nice! Hey, I am not even brave enough to have my own! I wonder if the glare from your camera flash or lighting in your house is not giving you the best thumbnails. Some of the cards seem a little washed out and that is maybe why they are not getting any attention?
Just a thought. Now I'm going to go comment
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2006, 01:46 PM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

Default THEY ARE GGGREAT!!!

I broswed though your stuff - you got a very nie gallery:-)

When I tried to see each one of them separately - they won't come up for me:-( Hmmm...but looking at the thumbnails - looking great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2006, 01:51 PM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

i agree about the photos, it is hard to clearly see your work, do you have a friend with a scanner? There was another thread about why people don't comment, time to back out was a big reason.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2006, 01:58 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Not at all! You've got a great gallery and I'd be happy to CASE your cards! ;)
I would agree that the thumbnails are a little harder to see.

I've noticed that in other peoples galleries, too. If there thumbnails are hard to see, they usually have fewer comments.

I truely like the cards in your gallery. They are very good. Don't think otherwise. I'd be happy to get one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2006, 02:00 PM   #6  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa Loiselle
Okay, here's the deal. I finally, after a year of lurking and posting, set up a gallery about a week ago. I think my cards are pretty, but I'm getting very few comments. A number of folks seem to be looking, but not many are saying anything. I look at other galleries, and they have like 20 comments on a card and I have none.:confused: I know, you're ready to call the WWWWWAAAAAAmbulance, but would you take a peek and tell it to me straight?

Lisa Loiselle's Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

Thanks!
your work is beautiful! I'll have more time tomorrow to look at the galleries but your work is A+ #1!!!

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2006, 02:02 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Lisa I think your stuff is sweet!
Especially this one!!!

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2006, 02:13 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Thanks, Ladies! I feel sooo much better! Not sure what to do about the glare. Maybe I need to spend some time learning how to take better pictures:eek: Seriously, I appreciate your time! You are wonderful!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2006, 02:16 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Yes, you do have a nice gallery. Here are a few other things to explain low comments.
        Do you have Adobe Photoshop or some other software that will fix the contrast or color of your photo/scan? I scan my cards, but they still need some fine tuning before I upload. I put the card below my screen so I can compare the color and brightness/contrast to try to make the image as close as possible to the real card. Hope this helps.

~ Kathy

Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 01-16-2006, 02:25 PM   #10  
        Pearl-ExPert

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I looked at your gallery. I think your cards are very good. I have just recently started commenting on cards. There are so many. I try to comment on cards that have no comments so that I can uplift the creator. Keep up the good work. I'll be watching for more of your cards, especially and will comment on them.

Michelle
        Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 01-16-2006, 02:25 PM   #11  
        Kookie Creator

I think your cards are really cute too! I don't spend a lot of time in the gallery looking for things I tend to click on people's links in their signature. Just go to edit signature in the control panel and click the world sign which is add link. Type in the address to your gallery and you can even name it something like my gallery or here's what I can do! There are probably a lo pf people who can explain it better than I can. Good luck!
        Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 01-16-2006, 02:25 PM   #12  
        Gallery Gazer

YOu have a great gallery! I'll be sure to leave you some comments. I have noticed also that my gallery usually has very few comments, but I think the longer you have your gallery up and the more people see your work the comments will start rolling in. Getting involved in challenges is definitely a great way to get people into your gallery.
        Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 01-16-2006, 02:26 PM   #13  
        Dirty Dozen Alumni

The best results for getting colors as true as possible is using a scanner. You can find one at Sam's Club for under $100. I have a 4 in 1 (scanner, copier, fax, photo) that I got at Sam's. I find when I use my camera the color is very distorted. I looked at your gallery and I think your cards are very pretty. The girl above is right. Upload your cards on days when the site is not flooded. It takes sooooo long to submit comments and then get back to the cards. Good luck.
        Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 01-16-2006, 02:28 PM   #14  
        Hardware Hotshot

When I looked at your cards I thought they were great. And, I also think you are getting about the same amount of comments as a lot of us. In my book, if I get a couple of comments, 2 or 3, I think that's about average. There is always those few cards on here each day that get a lot, but they are the exception.

I look at those cards too that have a ton of comments and I'm loving some of them but some I wonder why that one? Then when I look closer it's often from a challenge and those usually get a lot because everyone is excited about the challenge. Sometimes too the cards have been made with a new set coming out, or the card is unique in some other way. Color has a lot to do with it too; I made a card last week that I thought was one of my best but it's kind of pale and didn't show up that well and I only got a few comments. The card I got a ton of comments on once, actually looked quite a bit better scanned than it does in real life! If people could have seen the actual card they would have been surprised how ordinary it is, but for some reason the yellows and golds really popped from our scanner.

My motto is, keep on stampin, have fun, and let the chips (comments) fall where they may. ;)

I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. - Margaret Thatcher

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/dstfrommi
        Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 01-16-2006, 02:29 PM   #15  
        The Digi-Freak

I think your gallery is great! When I first started posting cards, I only got a few comments (if that) on cards.... now I regularly get a lot of comments... it takes while for people to get to know "You" and then you develop a "following" for lack of better words.... people who routinely check your gallery for updates.....

the comments will come in time! Don't give up!

Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 01-16-2006, 02:29 PM   #16  
        Kookie Creator

the main reason i dont post on cards is because after i post i cant figure out how to go back to where i was in the gallery so i have to go back to the beginning and weed thru to find where i was...but i think most all cards on SCS are amazing!!

Anna
        Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 01-16-2006, 02:50 PM   #17  
        Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by rawbanana
        the main reason i dont post on cards is because after i post i cant figure out how to go back to where i was in the gallery so i have to go back to the beginning and weed thru to find where i was...but i think most all cards on SCS are amazing!!

Anna
        To the right of the 'back' and 'forward' buttons is a tiny black upside-down triangle. Click on that, and it will bring up a pulldown of the last few pages you visited. I use that little menu all the time when I get stuck on one of those annoying websites that traps you and that won't let you back up!

My Stampin' Up! blog
        "I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
        Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 01-16-2006, 03:05 PM   #18  
        Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by dstfrommi
        When I looked at your cards I thought they were great. And, I also think you are getting about the same amount of comments as a lot of us. In my book, if I get a couple of comments, 2 or 3, I think that's about average. There is always those few cards on here each day that get a lot, but they are the exception.

I look at those cards too that have a ton of comments and I'm loving some of them but some I wonder why that one? Then when I look closer it's often from a challenge and those usually get a lot because everyone is excited about the challenge. Sometimes too the cards have been made with a new set coming out, or the card is unique in some other way. Color has a lot to do with it too; I made a card last week that I thought was one of my best but it's kind of pale and didn't show up that well and I only got a few comments. The card I got a ton of comments on once, actually looked quite a bit better scanned than it does in real life! If people could have seen the actual card they would have been surprised how ordinary it is, but for some reason the yellows and golds really popped from our scanner.

My motto is, keep on stampin, have fun, and let the chips (comments) fall where they may. ;)
        Ditto. She said what I was going to
        Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 01-16-2006, 03:06 PM   #19  
        Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamakimberly
        I think your gallery is great! When I first started posting cards, I only got a few comments (if that) on cards.... now I regularly get a lot of comments... it takes while for people to get to know "You" and then you develop a "following" for lack of better words.... people who routinely check your gallery for updates.....

the comments will come in time! Don't give up!
        Ditto. She finished what I was going to say!
        Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 01-16-2006, 04:45 PM   #20  
        Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Any card that gets even one comment is doing great! There are hundreds posted every week and it is time consuming to comment, so don't feel badly. Your cards have lots of comments -- one has 10!!!!. I figure one comment is worth 100 "I like it but can't/won't take the time to comment."!! They are lovely. I particularly like the 3 that show up first.
        Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 01-16-2006, 04:59 PM   #21  
        Kookie Creator

Smile not horrible

Lisa I have the same problem,,,,, I only have 6 cards but they are not as nice on the site as they are person... I have only a dig camera and can only take them that way.... you cant really see them up close or see how nicely they are because they are blurry or its not a good angle... only thing I can say which I have also been trying to do myself. is prop them up and take them at different angle look at them first before you put them on the site crop them or what ever you can do so people can see them clearly it was my first time using my camera and downloading them onto the site so next time I hopefully will do better... good luck and your cards are good I like the ones with the jars... very creative... same thing with posts for a few other people that have said things about posts its cool to get posts but hard to do it on all.. I would like to make posts on all that I like --- but its hard to get back to the place I once was ... so I just started putting them in my fave...I don�t know what the limit is but I may have to get a nether one. soon... again good luck we all need it.. and keep your chin up..
        Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 01-16-2006, 05:04 PM   #22  
        Stazon Splitcoast

Silly, silly! Your cards are really great! I will go back and comment on my faves!
        Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 01-16-2006, 05:06 PM   #23  
        Stazon Splitcoast

You know you must check out all our cards now and let us know if we're up to snuff!
        Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 01-16-2006, 05:08 PM   #24  
        Pearl-ExPert

I nearly posted a similar message about my own cards this morning....so it's not just you.

And as far as today goes...I think there is something screwy going on in the gallery...I can't see anything but thumbnails of most of the cards (including yours and some of mine)
        Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 01-16-2006, 05:26 PM   #25  
        Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Sometimes, especially if you happen to put them up on a very busy day, there are just too many pictures for everyone to see. So, we are all clicking through really fast without commenting.
        One thing that I have found funny/odd ...a card I REALLY like gets no comments and one where I thought I had messed up will gets lots of bravos. Go figure.
        John 3:16
        Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 01-16-2006, 05:37 PM   #26  
        Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommietess
        Lisa I have the same problem,,,,, I only have 6 cards but they are not as nice on the site as they are person... I have only a dig camera and can only take them that way.... you cant really see them up close or see how nicely they are because they are blurry or its not a good angle...
        What brand of camera do you have? Usually if a digital photo ended up blurry for me it was because I was too close to the subject or tried to zoom in too far.

My Stampin' Up! blog
        "I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
        Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 01-16-2006, 05:39 PM   #27  
        Kookie Creator

Default camera

oh i have an olympis i got it blurry i didnt quite focus too good. also whe i fixed it with the comp it made it worse but jsut scanned it in anyway.
        Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 01-16-2006, 05:45 PM   #28  
        Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by dstfrommi

Not only do I ditto this but I ditto your sentiments exactly. My whole family thinks I'm nuts for caring about the number of comment I get! They're like, "Get a grip, Mom." They are right.

As said before, the load of cards on this site to look at and comment on is mind boggling and overwhelming. I know in my "logical mind" that this is true.
        I have also been trying to edit my pics with Micosoft picture manager (right click on your images and go to "open with..." Then I try the "auto correct" button. This sometimes brightens my colors. If I don't like it I can always hit the back button. Then I save it that way.

I also know that little glitches in the system (like tonight's gallery where no close ups are showing) can effect the number of comments.

Then I also think alot of folks check on their favorite stampers.

One thing I'm doing lately is to only comments on the cards that do not have say 2 or more pages of responses. I figure they know it's great by then. I've been trying to leave my 5 a day with people whose cards have a little less validation.

In the mean time.... HAVE FUN and know that you do great stuff!
        Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 01-16-2006, 05:50 PM   #29  
        Crimping Master

Smile Gallery pics

I just viewed ALL of your gallery and left you comments for everyone. You have some awesome cards and should be really proud of your work. Thanks for sharing those cards with me.

Blessings,
        Debbie
        Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 01-16-2006, 05:54 PM   #30  
        Kookie Creator

thanks Rachel!!!!
        I will be posting comments MUCH more often now =)

Anna
        Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 01-16-2006, 06:09 PM   #31  
        Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by rawbanana

Anna
        To solve the problem of losing your place simply right click on the thumbnail and choose "open in new window". The card will pop up in a new window, you can comment and while the comment is going through you can go back to the main gallery page you were looking at, not wasting any time. Then simply go back and close that window when the comment is done. In the meantime you may have looked at several more cards. HTH.

Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 01-16-2006, 06:19 PM   #32  
        Dirty Dozen Alumni

Lisa your gallery is very nice! I want to echo the great tips given by ikimom above and I'd like to add one - for the most views don't upload a whole bunch of cards in one day. Try uploading only 2 or 3 per day and you will typically get more views and comments.

Practice with your camera with different lighting and angles. Try taking photos during the day with natural llight streaming in a window if possible. Study some of the really nice photos (like JulieHRR, 11Valerie11, and others) and see if you can copy how they do theirs.

Definitely definitely join some of the weekly challenges!

Also I just wanted to remind everyone that we can now access anyone's gallery by the pull-down menu that you get when you click on the user name in the box on the left side of a post. So even if someone doesn't have it in their sig line you can still get to it easily!

Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 01-16-2006, 06:25 PM   #33  
        Stazon Splitcoast

I've been thinking more on this, this evening. I've thought about what makes me comment on a card. (I comment on about 20 cards a day, btw.) First, I comment on cards that I really like that use sets that I have or I hope to get in the next few months. If it's using a set that I don't have, I comment if it really stands out and gets my attention... this gets me in trouble because my wish list has been growing because of these WOW cards with sets I didn't know I wanted. Lastly, I comment on cards in weekly challenges (and VSN) that I have participated in. I'm sure I've missed a few, but I always try to comment on cards when I'm the hostess of a challenge.

That said, I've made comments on a ton of cards since March. But I can't comment on all. It would be impossible because there are so many uploaded each day. We need to make commenting a team effort. I'm thinking this in a gentle not condemning way... if you are wondering why you don't have more comments than you had expected, please look at how many posts are under your name. Are you really doing your share at encouraging other stampers? This really should be a team effort and not left to just a few SCSers to do. Thanks for listening
        Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 01-16-2006, 06:32 PM   #34  
        Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Lisa, your cards are great. I have the same problem with mine. I think the ones with the highest # of comments are ones I've done for challenges.

As for the photographing your cards check out this link: http://www.scrapjazz.com/topics/Comp...anning/506.php

It may help you with getting better color & lighting. I know the article is for 12x12 layouts, but the ideas would work on cards too.

Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 01-16-2006, 06:37 PM   #35  
        Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by jen70
        I've been thinking more on this, this evening. I've thought about what makes me comment on a card. (I comment on about 20 cards a day, btw.) First, I comment on cards that I really like that use sets that I have or I hope to get in the next few months. If it's using a set that I don't have, I comment if it really stands out and gets my attention... this gets me in trouble because my wish list has been growing because of these WOW cards with sets I didn't know I wanted. Lastly, I comment on cards in weekly challenges (and VSN) that I have participated in. I'm sure I've missed a few, but I always try to comment on cards when I'm the hostess of a challenge.

That said, I've made comments on a ton of cards since March. But I can't comment on all. It would be impossible because there are so many uploaded each day. We need to make commenting a team effort. I'm thinking this in a gentle not condemning way... if you are wondering why you don't have more comments than you had expected, please look at how many posts are under your name. Are you really doing your share at encouraging other stampers? This really should be a team effort and not left to just a few SCSers to do. Thanks for listening
        Well said Jen!

I have posted gallery challenges from time to time and I'll issue one now. If you are reading this thread go to the gallery and post at least 10 comments (5 from galleries of people who have posted to this thread and 5 to galleries of people you are not familiar with).

Posting at least 10-20 comments a day when going through "Todays Additions" is really an easy and fun habit to get into!

Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 01-16-2006, 06:51 PM   #36  
        Mad Swapper

I think your cards are great too. I really liked the ones you used with Right at Home. I also take photos of my cards with a digital camera and have found some tips that might help.
        Place a piece of printer or plain white paper under your card and behind it. (leaned up against something.)
        Stand your card upright.
        If you can only take your photos during daylight hours in a well lighted area.
        Don't use flash. Sometimes I'll take it with and without flash and the non-flash is truer in color.
        I usually try to have my cards on the table and then I get down on their level to photograph them.
        Then crop as needed before uploading.
        I hope this will help just a bit. Keep sharing your cards. I don't get a lot of comments on mine either, but if I didn't think they were okay I wouldn't upload them or give them away. :-)
        Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 01-16-2006, 07:56 PM   #37  
        Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Ditto what everyone else has said!

#1 -- GREAT CARDS! And you ARE getting about the average number of comments, so rest easy.

#2! -- When you upload, try to pick the best days/times. If you aren't posting to a challenge, try not to upload at those times. Don't upload on Monday morning -- there are about a zillion cards being uploaded then. Saturday evening is better.

#3 -- post all the time, not just when you've got 10 cards. People get to know your name if you upload often. When they know your name, they look.

#4 -- get a scanner. You can get better quality with a scanner, and be able to adjust contrast/brightness/color/crop/etc with PhotoShop or PhotoSuite. Scanners are realitively cheap, especially with holiday weekends coming up!

#5 -- if you want the big number of comments, either join in a challenge, do VSN or try to get new sets and post samples asap.

Don't be discouraged -- your cards are terrific!! Please post more to your gallery -- I'll be watching!

SU Creative Crew Design Team
        Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 01-16-2006, 08:07 PM   #38  
        Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll admit: I'm one of those that very rarely comments, due to time constraints. Frequently, I only look at thumbnails, as well, for the same reason. Hundreds of cards are uploaded daily here at SCS; the volume, is literally, IMHO, staggering. While many view the daily uploads, I actually rarely do.

Your designs are very nice! I hope you will continue stamping and uploading!
        Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 01-16-2006, 09:50 PM   #39  
        Crimping Master

Believe me, I know how you feel. I uploaded a card really soon after VSN and it has gotten *0* comments. Oh well, *I* thought it was cute.

I think that people who have a lot of comments on their cards usually participate in challenges, like the Color Challenge or Sketch Challenge (there are lots of challenges out there!). They post in the forum with a link to their card, so people can get to them easily.

Good luck. You cards are very pretty!
        Mommy and teacher to my 3 blessings
        Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 01-17-2006, 02:33 AM   #40  
        Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4d
        To the right of the 'back' and 'forward' buttons is a tiny black upside-down triangle. Click on that, and it will bring up a pulldown of the last few pages you visited. I use that little menu all the time when I get stuck on one of those annoying websites that traps you and that won't let you back up!
        Rachel,

I never knew that! My computer geek husband would be appalled!

Reply With Quote Likes