Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-25-2008, 03:24 PM   #81  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A hint for using this site, which I use a lot. When you find a thread you like and want to keep an eye on it, but don't want to keep bumping it, look at the top of the page ... it says 'thread tools'. Click on this and you will see 'subscribe to this thread' Click on this... it will take you to one more screen for a final click....now, go to your mail box page (on top right of screen) and click....you will see a bunch of things on the left screen. This is where you will find all your 'subscriptions'. You can click on this and you will find every thread you subscribed to in the manner above AND every thread you also particpated in.

Clear as mud? :rolleyes: I use this a lot ....for example, when I cannot go through the faves on the Sunday thread, I subscribe to the thread. That way I don't lose it and I can find it anytime I want to look through the faves for that week.

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2008, 03:56 AM   #82  
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks Denise! I can't tell you how many times when I first got on here that I would "lose" my thread. I think it was a couple of weeks before I stumbled onto this bit of wisdom.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2008, 07:59 PM   #83  
Insane Embellisher

Default nana's cookies

Great thread, sure glad I found it, I'm new at this site also. I was working on an Easter scrapbook page and needed a little something more to add to it, so I stamped an image and then kept enlarging it until i got what I needed. The paper I used to do it on was cheaper then the gas to drive to town.LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2008, 03:59 AM   #84  
Hardware Hotshot

Does anyone have advice on how to get a nice looking torn edge? Mine always looks like a rat chewed it off!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2008, 04:38 AM   #85  
Die Cut Diva

Question

What a really great thread. I'm a somewhat newbie myself and I may be really in the dark here, but what are nestabilities, who are they by and where can you get them?????? I have circles & squares from Spellbinders Wizard. Are they something like that??????

P.S. Every response I've read here in this thread is really very helpful. This is really great!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2008, 04:56 AM   #86  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by glitterbabeView Post
What a really great thread. I'm a somewhat newbie myself and I may be really in the dark here, but what are nestabilities, who are they by and where can you get them?????? I have circles & squares from Spellbinders Wizard. Are they something like that??????

P.S. Every response I've read here in this thread is really very helpful. This is really great!!!
Visit this site: http://www.ucutathome.com/shop/index...d/8/subid/217/

If you like them register witht hte company and they email you a 40% off coupon each month. This is the cheapest way I've found to get them.

XOXO,
~Patrina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2008, 05:47 AM   #87  
Die Cut Diva

Thumbs up

Thanks Patrina for a great link.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2008, 11:08 AM   #88  
Glitter Queen

Smile Braditude

Hi, everyone! I love the Newbies forum!!
For those of you who don't like your brad "backs" to show...here's my little tip:
I often finish a card and then think, "What is it missing?" When I think a brad is called for, I cut off the "legs" of the brad with my wire cutters and place it where I want it with a tiny glue dot!!!! No need to punch or endanger my manicure!!!
Thanks for all the helpful tips!!!! Love SCS!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2008, 11:27 AM   #89  
Cardstock Collector

Hello All! I'm a newbie to SCS too, and this thread is great. So many useful tips. Indexing - geeze, I never even thought of that! My stamp collection is growing and I often forget what I have. That was great advice - I must start that.

I've been stamping for just over a year now, and I only found out about SCS last week - amazing ideas. My advice which most have mentioned already is LOOK THROUGH THE GALLERY! I cannot tell you how many beautiful creations I've seen so far that I want to replicate!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2008, 04:17 PM   #90  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by onelightningchicView Post
Does anyone have advice on how to get a nice looking torn edge? Mine always looks like a rat chewed it off!
Apply a thin line with a wet paint brush where you would like to tear. Let it soak in for a minute or so (with out letting it dry out) and then tear. Works for me really well.

The Lord is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear.Psalm 27:1
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2008, 04:21 PM   #91  
Compulsive Stamper

One of my favorite "thrifty" ways to raise part of my card is to cut apart and use empty cereal boxes. It's not as thick as a "pop-dot", so it's much easier to fit in an envelope to mail; and you can punch out circles, squares, and so on to use underneath stamped embellishments. Using the lightweight chipboard also gives a card a lot of stability.

Thanks for starting the thread! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2008, 05:25 PM   #92  
Insane Embellisher

Thumbs up Fantastic!

Hi,
I just happened upon this forum...actually got the link from this week's Inkling...This is a super forum and one which I will definitely subscribe to!! My SU demonstrator uses the mounting rubber that is left over after the stamps are mounted as popdots for projects. Instead of throwing it away, you can cut the pieces as you wish and they work great! I love recycling...
I also carry small index cards stapled together as in a little book in my purse with my ink colours, marker colours, templates etc...written on it so that I won't duplicate if I see something when I'm out. My wishlist is also there!!! Never know when you'll see a coupon or special!!! ;)
Keep the fantastic ideas coming ladies...it's great!!!!

Gwen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2008, 06:13 PM   #93  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My advice is to use good quality cardstock for stamping on - even if you are just "practicing".

Sometimes when people are new, they don't want to waste money on good cardstock so they buy the cheap stuff. When they stamp the ink feathers and when they try to color the paper rags up or won't blend. They get frustrated and think they are doing something wrong when its really the paper - not them.

When I teach - I always make a point of stressing good paper for stamping. Patterned paper and cardstock for layering - not as critical, but get the good stuff for stamping on.

Of course I also have a hang up on quality card bases and envelopes........ You can put a lot of effort into a beautiful card front - then mount it on a flimsy base the the whole thing seems cheap (JMHO...).....

My site: Paper Garden Projects
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2008, 06:26 PM   #94  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Thanks, Sweetie, for the belly laugh!! :p Me too.. been there, done that!
Do try the paintbrush/water line trick. It works great! Practice on any scrap paper, even the diff. weights of junk mail. ;)
May GOD bless all, Sandi

Last edited by SouthernStorm; 05-28-2008 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: addin' stuff
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2008, 06:41 PM   #95  
Matboard Maniac

Great thread!!
I love torn edges also. I like to ink mine. I need to try the water line trick. I usually just start tearing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2008, 04:18 AM   #96  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by gizmonl66View Post
Hi,
I just happened upon this forum...actually got the link from this week's Inkling...This is a super forum and one which I will definitely subscribe to!! My SU demonstrator uses the mounting rubber that is left over after the stamps are mounted as popdots for projects. Instead of throwing it away, you can cut the pieces as you wish and they work great! I love recycling...
I also carry small index cards stapled together as in a little book in my purse with my ink colours, marker colours, templates etc...written on it so that I won't duplicate if I see something when I'm out. My wishlist is also there!!! Never know when you'll see a coupon or special!!! ;)
Keep the fantastic ideas coming ladies...it's great!!!!

Gwen
I have also mounted a few of my scraps from cutting out my stamps. I have them in several geometric odd shapes and many times use them to randomly stamp on backgrounds for scrapbook pages and wrapping paper. I even have saved one that was the large punch out section. When stamped it looks like six windows with a border. I just got cheap wooden blocks from the craft store and stuck them on there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2008, 11:30 AM   #97  
Cardstock Collector

As a relative "newbie" just over a year myself, a couple of tricks I learned when I didn't have a lot of money to spend on supplies:

1. Don't be afraid to borrow from other demonstrator's. My demo has been kind enough to lend me out everything. One of the smartest things I did was to borrow some punches and punch my heart out in every color and keep little baggies ready to go.
2. Buy the markers. While I couldn't afford to buy all the ink pads AND the markers at first. I bought the markers and realized how versatile they were.
3. glitter makes even the simplest/plainest card a whole lot more interesting
4. When a Stamp has both words and an image, mount them separately. You will thank yourself for doing this. It is much easier than masking the image and doubles the amount of stamps in your set. You will be more likely to use that stamp if it isn't limited to the greeting associated with it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2008, 12:18 PM   #98  
Matboard Maniac

Like many of you, I have been indexing my stamp sets for several years. Another thing I have begun to do is make a checkmark in my personal SU catalog when I purchase a stamp set (I'm a hobby demo). That way, when I am looking through the catty, I know at a glance that I have that stamp set and it helps to keep me from purchasing duplicates! Also, when the Retired List comes out, I annotate my copy of the catty to show that a particular stamp set is retiring.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2008, 04:36 PM   #99  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great post idea onelighteningchick! Here's a couple of my favourite pointers:

To prevent fraying ribbon, I use a lighter to very gently singe the ends. May take a teensy bit of practice, but it works really well.

You can use fun foam as a paper piercing pad & anchor a piercing guide or ruler with pins--way easier paper piercing for faux stitches. Blog post with pictures here:
http://melstampz.blogspot.com/2008/0...pal-paper.html

My number one tip, and the biggest "mistake" I made when new:
Use it or lose it! ;0) Things will go out of style or your tastes will change so try and use it while you love it, even though it's hard to. :0)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2008, 05:35 PM   #100  
Die Cut Diva

I found this on another thread.
[URL="http://scraptitude.com/colorcombo/[/URL]
It's great. It's like the SU Color Coach, but it gives you so many color combos and it also includes In-colors.
Tammy:cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2008, 05:55 AM   #101  
Stampin' Fool

Send a message via Skype™ to pamshobby

One of the neatest little tricks that I was taught was using a marker or ink pad to dye your white ribbon to the color you want. I buy a lot of white ribbon and then use my SU markers or ink pads to dye it to the color of the paper.

Great info here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2008, 06:52 AM   #102  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuzyK410View Post
Like many of you, I have been indexing my stamp sets for several years. Another thing I have begun to do is make a checkmark in my personal SU catalog when I purchase a stamp set (I'm a hobby demo). That way, when I am looking through the catty, I know at a glance that I have that stamp set and it helps to keep me from purchasing duplicates! Also, when the Retired List comes out, I annotate my copy of the catty to show that a particular stamp set is retiring.
To take this tip a step further, when the new catalog comes out, get together with your stamping friends and go through it together. Mark the sets in the catalog that everyone has with their initials. Sometimes you kind of like a set and would like to try it occasionally, but you don't like it well enough to spend your stamping dollars on it. This way you can borrow the set for a few days, create with it, and hand it back to your friend with a smile knowing you are a careful, thrifty stamper. Of course, that doesn't help if you get the urge to stamp with that set at midnight and your friend isn't willing to crawl out of bed to meet you at the door with the set in hand. :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2008, 07:09 AM   #103  
Polyshrink Goddess

I can't stress enough the importance of indexing your supplies. I mean everything, not just your stamps. But two small spiral-bound notebooks, one to keep with your stamping supplies or Stampin' Up catalog and one for your car or purse.

Use small post-its as tabs and label them, ink pads, markers, punches, Prismacolor pencils, Primas (flowers in the bottle), etc. Then as you purchase your stamping and scrapbooking supplies, note them in these books.

I know it seems time consuming to think of doing this, but if you get into this habit when you are starting out, you will save yourself hours of frustration in the future when trying to recall what you have on hand, only to find a duplicate at home when you get back from shopping. I'm speaking from experience here.:mrgreen:

Another tip, keep your receipts in a place where you can find them in case you have buyer's remorse a few days later and wonder what the heck was I thinking. Or if you find the item you purchased was a duplicate (to avoid this, see above). It's much easier to return an item if you can find the receipt quickly. Again, I speak from experience.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2008, 07:38 AM   #104  
Insane Embellisher

Default nana's cookies

Wow, thought I lost this thread, glad I found it again today.Can I ask a question here pro and cons on the two different cricut machines? I have been saving up but hard to part with the money until I find out more what people think of them, also I do both cards and scrapbooks, so what can the new machine do that the older one can't??? Is there a place here I can see what people use them for? Thanks for any help. Happy stamping to everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2008, 07:39 AM   #105  
Insane Embellisher

Great thread - even for those of us who have been stamping for years. I learn something new every day.
Thanks for all the tips and ideas. They are all so useful.
I use W-D 40 (most husbands have a can of this - if not - you can get it anywhere) to clean off my scissors. They get sticky from cutting the sticky strip and sometimes I can't pry them apart. Spray a little WD 40 on a paper towel and rub on the blades of your scissors. Then wipe with a dry clean cloth. Keeps your scissors in great shape for many many years!

My Website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 12:58 PM   #106  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Excellent ideas!

I've been doing this for a couple of years but learn something new every time I get the newsletter or meet with other card fanatics.....love the organizing ideas.....wish I'd thought of that BEFORE I grew my stack of stamps....oh well. Here is our mantra: "its only paper!!!!!". You can have amazing fun with a few colored pencils and some paper, just like pre-school!!! I am having a "little" trouble not falling in love with new toys but I do think the nestabilities are one of the coolest things out there. And when I found out (thanks to another SCS thread) that you can use them in your Cuttlebug (another amazing tool) then I just had to have them. Finding out who will let you use their internet coupons in the store (Craft Mart) and who will let you use other store's coupons (Joann's) sure can save a lot of $$$$$!! Thanks for starting this thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 05:15 PM   #107  
Insane Embellisher

You might say I'am green not knowing many of the things you use in making cards or scrapbooking, but can you tell me what are nestabilities?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 07:56 PM   #108  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

one thing i didn't realize for a long time is that if you tear the paper towards you, the "raw" side of the paper shows. if you tear the paper away from you, the "smooth" side of the paper shows. makes a big difference, depending on the look you want, especially if you want to sponge that raw edge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 08:02 PM   #109  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by nana's cookiesView Post
You might say I'am green not knowing many of the things you use in making cards or scrapbooking, but can you tell me what are nestabilities?
Here's a link to one of my favorite explanations of Nestabilities:

http://nicholeheady.typepad.com/capt...faq/index.html

Keep scrolling down and you'll learn all about them and also at the very end you'll see how to use them with different embossing/cutting devices.

Hope this helps

Nancy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2008, 01:42 PM   #110  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by waglegView Post
My biggest tip. Check the gallery for samples before purchasing a stamp set.
I found I purchased a lot of stamp sets that weren't necessarily my style just because they looked great in the catalog.
My suggestion is to not look at the gallery. Ha, ha. There have been so many sets that I did not like initially, but when I saw the beautiful samples on this website I had to have them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2008, 01:57 PM   #111  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by marilyn2222View Post
My suggestion is to not look at the gallery. Ha, ha. There have been so many sets that I did not like initially, but when I saw the beautiful samples on this website I had to have them.
LOL!! I have to agree!! On one hand, I want to tell people to check out the galleries... but on the other hand, I've been totally sold on many sets because of the samples there. It's fair warning -- be careful what you check out, because resistance may be futile :-D !! I love the gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2008, 11:01 PM   #112  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soozie4HimView Post
I keep one of those photo storage boxes full with quarter-sheets of SU cardstock, ready to use to make cards.
I do this too...sometimes I will have a pile of large scraps and will go through them and cut them down to size just for this. The storage box from SU is a great box...it has tabbed dividers so you can seperate color familes

Another piece of advice for anyone new, is to not limit yourself to one stamp company....keep an open mind and try others, you may be surprised! I was a strict SU girl for the longest time and have since found LOTS of other stamps I enjoy too! Be an equal opportunity stamper!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 01:01 AM   #113  
Rubber Obsessor

Wink Free Personalized Stamp & Business Cards for Your Cards ;)~

I have a Tip. You always want to sign the back of your cards and include your email address and the date. An easy way to include this information is by buying a pre-inked stamp or a stampin up stamp. Here is a link to free personalized pre-inked stamp all you have to do is pay for shipping! vistaprint.com/amazon641 or free business cards that you can include w/your cards vistaprint.com/amazon631

I have been stamping for 11 yrs and I teach at Hobby Lobby & I learn something new everyday! I love SCS!

Happy Stamping & thanks for all the great tips!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 01:07 AM   #114  
Rubber Obsessor

Could someone assist me in setting up a watermark for my artwork before I post it. I have seen many different really cool ones. Thanks for the Help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 03:14 AM   #115  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got an odd one.

Paper has grain. It bends easier in one direction than the other. This little nugget of information almost never appears in stamping stuff, but it's drummed into bookbinders. When making a book, a crafter must make sure all the different papers used have grain running parallel to the spine of the book. I've found with a BIA or other "loose" binding this is less important, but with tightly sewn bindings or glued bindings, it makes a huge difference. The whole thing can warp.

This is important in cardmaking just because when you fold against the grain, you get cracking in the paper. Scoring helps eliminate this and gives a much more professional look.

It's important in scrapbooking because if you make the grain of each page (and any paper you attach to it) run parallel to the spine of the book, the pages will lie flatter and last longer, with less stress on each page.

It's a small thing, but it does make a difference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 03:57 AM   #116  
Matboard Maniac

Hi.....Someone early on in this thread posted that they sort the gallery by number of views. How do I do this? Thanks so much for all of the GREAT info! :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 05:04 AM   #117  
Kookie Creator

Before I mount my stamps I make a copy of the sticker sheet and put it in the bottom of the box the set stores in - it helps to make sure all the stamps of a set get back into the right box when we have stampcamps.
Becky
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 05:38 AM   #118  
Hardware Hotshot

Does anyone have a link for Cricut or cutterbug use? I am thinking I might like one or something similar, but am not really sure which is best or are they completely different. I am really interested in pressed emobssed look on my cardstock more than the cutouts, but feel I would use those too if I had them.
Also, what wasnt clear to me after viewing the Nestbiilities site, Do you trace and cut them out or do they go into a machine such as above?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 05:48 AM   #119  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by beckydoryView Post
Before I mount my stamps I make a copy of the sticker sheet and put it in the bottom of the box the set stores in - it helps to make sure all the stamps of a set get back into the right box when we have stampcamps.
Becky
Great Tip! tyvm!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 05:57 AM   #120  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Does anyone have a link for Cricut or cutterbug use? I am thinking I might like one or something similar, but am not really sure which is best or are they completely different. I am really interested in pressed emobssed look on my cardstock more than the cutouts, but feel I would use those too if I had them.
Also, what wasnt clear to me after viewing the Nestbiilities site, Do you trace and cut them out or do they go into a machine such as above?
I never thought about tracing them! That could be nice. But yes, they are meant to be use as embossing and/or cutting dies. I linked this earlier, don't know if you saw it:

http://nicholeheady.typepad.com/capt...faq/index.html

Keep scrolling through it - it has all the sandwich recipes (how to layer your plates, cardstock, mats, etc.) at the end for different machines. I have a Cuttlebug and I can cut dies or emboss - I don't cut shapes (except nesties!) although they sell dies for that. I use Nestabilities and embossing folders. Cricut, I think, is WAY expensive. I got my C'bug for $65 at Sam's Club but sometimes you'll see a notice from a kind and thoughtful enabler here that there's a real deal somewhere, plus the embossing folders are inexpensive.

Good luck with your decision!

Nan
Reply With Quote Likes