Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-05-2007, 10:15 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think Back........

Trying to help a friend, your imput is really appreciated.........

When you were a new stamper/scrapbooker, or actually, right before you started....What would have drawn you in to a scrapbooking store.....and held your attention/business???

THANK YOU ALL!!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2007, 10:25 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

I remember one of my favorite stores had just oodles of samples everywhere you looked. Both cards and scrapbook pages. It also had a little table and chairs with some books and a few toys to occupy the kiddies while you shopped.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2007, 10:27 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Probably walking by a store window which had a beautiful display of products in a seasonal setting.... For example, a small patio table and chairs with pots of spring flowers, gardening tools (of course ;) and other props. Among those props would be examples of the store's inventory made into usable items such as a lovely open scrapbook, several cards and other crafts displayed with the tools it took to make them. I would use all of the "in" colors and tools talked about in a blog such as this one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2007, 10:31 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm, that's a big question!

I was introduced to stamping at a DOTS (now CTMH) party. I'd never heard of it until a coworker showed me a catalog and invited me to a party. I'd always had a weakness for pens and paper, so I was an easy target - however, stamping was such an new idea to me I did want solid instruction and lots of samples. So, I'd say - good classes and lots of beautiful samples to inspire purchasing. Can you tell I'm a visual learner?

If I were starting out at this season of life I'd also add that the classes should be during a week day while the kiddos are in school!

Thinking about it, the same would probably apply to scrapbooking. I started keeping a scrapbook around age 12 (which was several decades ago). I'm now a CM scrapper. Having learned about caring for photos and memorabilia, and having many years of yellowed and faded scrapbooks to cry over, made the details of safe albums even more important to me.

I guess I'd say that solid instruction, well planned classes and great customer service would mean most to me. It would also mean a lot if my loyal custom was rewarded in some way - like a frequent shopper's card or a free class after $X purchases. Something concrete to say "thanks" for spending my time and money in the shop.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2007, 10:35 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Variety! I am a new stamper and I got as rapidly hooked as I did because my LSS has a good variety of things to appeal to both scrappers and stampers- tons of paper, fiber, stamps, inks, stickers, embelishments... Also love that they offer e-coupons each month in addition to a couple of in store specials and a preferred customer program that their computer tracks- for every $100 you spend you get a coupon for $10 off your next purchase.

I also LOVED that they held a scrappers rummage sale a few weeks back- people with stuff to sell rented tables for a reasonable rate and could sell off their extras- I got some GREAT deals on things that helped me build my stamp collection for a really small pricetag.

HTH
Suzy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2007, 10:49 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

gorgeous displays - stuff that made me want to buy everything they used on cards or scrapbook pages

after I got hooked, I liked to frequent places that have punch cards or discount program. I do not even go to Hobby Lobby or Michael's if I don't have a coupon from the paper either. Just ways to make your dollar stretch further.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2007, 10:55 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

the one thing that draws me in is the coupons. living in a small town and having to travel to the big city to purchase everything makes it so much more worth while to buy.
AND I wish the stores had the coupons on hand for those of us who missed the paper or those of us who have just plain forgotten our coupons at home. those meaning ME! snort !

it's gonna be a good day tater! ~ Ron White
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2007, 11:01 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ideas, ideas, ideas. As a new stamper/scrapbooker, you don't know what things are for, you don't know what tools do, you don't really know where to start. I also think your staff are vital, they need to be welcoming, patient, willing to answer endless questions, show how things are done and most importantly, show enthusiasm.
But I think you need to have ideas everywhere. You struggle at first to find your style and ideas inspire you. Maybe have some comfy chairs with magazines containing the stuff you stock.
Classes are good too to build up loyalty. HTH!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2007, 11:16 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Demonstrations. And really nice, friendly, down-to-earth customer service reps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2007, 11:27 AM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Sample cards & projects ~~~ I still walk into that store & ooh & aah over the samples ~~ I could easily spend hours there!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2007, 11:36 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

when I lived in Virginia my LSS allowed each customer to get 15% their entire order once a month and on their birthday! That got me hooked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2007, 11:51 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

helpful staff, that really found out what I was trying to do, and not try to push stuff on me, that is what got me was the helpful service, it is so overwhelming to start.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2007, 12:04 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Staff that know what they are trying to sell..also layout of the store, i hate going into astore looking at sumthin..thinkin that's all there is , only to see or have the clerk tell me..oh there's more over there if u care to look..also our little lss(small town) has as soon as u spend 50.00..u get 10.00 off anything in the store..including classes..she also lets u build up your $$..like at xmas i had 60.00 to spend in the store..that was fun!!!. Freindly service..but not trailing me around the store..i'm the type that likes a..hi how ru? then lets me wander..don cut into my shopping time by showing me things i'm not looking for..i f i have a ?? i'll know where u are..
Usually for me..if i feel i done shopping..go to pay n they in form me of instore specials or whatever..i usually end up spending more than what i came to the till with..lol..thx for listening..loves ya Gail

When the world says give up, hope whispers, try one more time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2007, 12:13 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

I agree with samples of what they have and ways to use the tools. Samples are what draw me in. After I am there I think they need to have good friendly people to help you out and demonstrate the different tools and ways to do things. Coupons are what will keep me there. I also like varity.

The Lord is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear.Psalm 27:1
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2007, 12:14 PM   #15  
Crimping Master

Walking into a store and seeing all the projects that they had displayed and thaught to myself that I can do that. Then I would buy everything and spend way too much money.
Like mentioned above staff is very important. they need to know what they are talking about.

Check out my gallery:

gallery:https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...0&ppuser=98777
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2007, 12:24 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

I would have to agree with cute samples... simple samples.. like a decorated gift bag with a match card. I LOVE that! Things that I could and would actually use. Although chipboard books are great to look at and stuff, I just realy LOVE practical/useful things.

I would also have to say help in the store that is not OVERLY helpful. I personally don't care for it when I walk right into the store and the lady at the counter says "Hi, Can I help you find anything?" I LOVE it when they say, "HI! Just let me know if I can help you find anything!" I'm usually so overwhelmed going into a store I haven't been in before and I like a little time to myself just to soak it all in!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2007, 12:29 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Samples, Samples, Samples!
Samples are the first thing I look for in a store. I especially like when the sample is near the product. Then I scoop it up and head to the register. Genuine employees who love enjoy paper crafting as much as I do. I have been in stores where the employees act like I am shopping for a best friend.
Affordable classes
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2007, 01:01 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I value the ability to use a tool before buying and knowledgeable friendly but not pushy staff.

I couldn't figure out the stamp ma jig until I went into a LSS and the person demonstrated it for me. Since I already owned it....I didn't buy another one, but was so thrilled that I bought a bunch of other stuff. Ditto the Wizard Embossing system. When the woman went to demo it for me, it didn't work!! She whispered that the store would be discontinuing it as they weren't thrilled with it (this was several years ago, the product may be better now).

You just can't beat personalized, knowledgeable staff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2007, 01:50 PM   #19  
Kookie Creator

The thing that draws me back to the same stamp store are the ones with TONS of cute samples and really helpful staff, but not pushy. I also like it tidy and orderly...can't stand when stuff is all spread out and there is really no "method" to it all. Someone else mentioned TOYS!!! HUGE bonus for me...the one I like to go to has the cutest little setup for the kids to play. My son just loves it. We went to a different store last week and he was so mad that they didn't have anything...mommy was mad, too! :twisted: The other thing someone mentioned was classes during the day...I am the opposite. I have little ones at home, so I need classes at night. Can't really justify paying a babysitter for a hobby! ;)

My Blog - New!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2007, 01:53 PM   #20  
Failed Lurker

You need a "man creche" - one of my LSSs had one. Just a chair and a table full of magazines about cars, fishing, men's health etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2007, 01:56 PM   #21  
Kookie Creator

The Auntie Amy's rubber stamp convention used to have an "Unruly Husband's" area...that always made me laugh! There was a TV with sports on! LOL

My Blog - New!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2007, 01:58 PM   #22  
Kookie Creator

1. SAMPLES! (and lots of them!)
2. Free demos & Make N Takes

Check Out my Blog!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2007, 02:06 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

I have to agree w/ the samples, demonstrations and FRIENDLY, knowledgable staff, but I also like a huge variety in stamps, paper, embossing powder, embellishments, etc. Also, one of my favorite stamps stores would allow you to "play"...if you had a question about something they would pull out their supplies, give you some ideas on how to use and let you work w/ it a little bit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2007, 02:26 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by GardenB
Demonstrations. And really nice, friendly, down-to-earth customer service reps.
Yes! Someone who will come out from behind the counter to show an interest in helping me.

I would love a store that will coordinate products for you, and have classes around those themes. Take the guesswork out of it for me, so I don't just walk out with a bunch of whatever random stuff that never leaves the bag.

The dreamers of the day are dangerous people,For they dream their dreams with open eyes,And make them come true.- D.H. Lawrence

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2007, 06:28 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

I owned a stamp store for 3 years w/ my sis in law and I think these things helped us alot: having *tons* of samples and changing them all the time, having a variety of classes (for all levels), remembering your customers (not just their name but what they like, calling them when their fave company had new stamps), mailing a monthly newletter and taking special orders.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2007, 06:35 AM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

"Unruley Husband Zone" Oh man I love that one. I know more than a few stores that could use one of those! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2007, 07:28 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Don't forget a space to dump the kiddies! My LSS has a little area with a gate, movies, and tons of toys! It is in a central spot so they can see you and you can see them!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2007, 09:30 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Love the kids/husband idea. Wish our LSS would have had one of those they may not have went out of business!

This is my suggestion putting the paper and all the coordinating items close together so you can grab a page and say oh and there is the the ribbon that matches oh and must have the matching chipboard, title, etc. I would have to say having simple beginner kits available from stuff you have in stock with the example sitting above it would be nice. So that they could look at and think yeah I can do that! The next time they come in they can pull all the stuff together for a page with out a kit!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2007, 12:57 PM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

In addition to the great ideas above I think, as a beginner, I liked to find stores that would carry a whole product line that coordinated. It made it easy to do a page if I could go to 1 area in a store a choose the paper and embellishments that were designed to coordinate. A lot of beginners find it difficult and even stressful to coordinate colors and looks and this kind of thing takes the guess work out and lets them buy with confidence that everything will look good together. As an experienced scrapbooker I still like it when a store carries a whole line of products. A major chain near me carries only certain designs by a manufacturer and it drives me nuts because they don't carry a wide enough selection to give me variety AND coordination.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2007, 01:04 PM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually the first time I saw rubber stamps was at a flea market. The lady had wooden trays loaded with stamps. I picked out images that appealed to me. Each week I would look at what she had and talk to the seller. Back then I had no idea that so many techniques existed. Now I like to go into the stores and look for new tools, ways to kick my creative juices up a notch..whether it is ribbon, primas, brads, eyelets, etc. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2007, 01:04 PM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

I love a store with tons of examples and ideas. I like for the displays to be "hands on." I went to one while on vacation and the lady took down a display I asked about and took it apart to show me how it was made. Some places get irritated if you mess with their displays.

I think a frequent shopper program or club is great. I am always looking for that in a store - something that rewards me for being a loyal customer. This would include exclusive classes, early sign ups for classes/swaps, birthday bonus or discount, etc

Before I moved, my favorite stamp store featured a different catalog each month. If you ordered from it, you got 15% the purchases. This allowed me to order products that weren't available in the store and still get a good deal.

Someone else mentioned coordinating products. I enjoy that as well.

Since I don't have a LSS, I am constantly thinking about what I would do if I ran one!
Reply With Quote Likes