Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-10-2006, 04:01 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about becoming a Demo - advice pls?

Hi everyone -

Ok, I'm obsessed, as many of you can relate I'm sure, and I've been giving serious thought to becoming a SU Demo. Thing is I'm apprehensive about making the leap, and I just don't know if it's for me, if I should wait, etc. I spend a ton of money - could prob reach my quotas on my own. LOL Mostly I've been thinking of signing up just to get a discount for myself, start my own business and eventually be able to write off all my crafting supplies. But is this realistic? I have 4 kids, DD6, DS almost 4, and twin DD's 2 and so not a lotta time to do my thing, and also not much space to host workshops (would have to be in my LR or DR). This fall my kids will all be in school b/c DD's 2 will be in 3 days for a few hours in the a.m.'s, so maybe I'll be able to do some stuff then.

What things should I be considering? Is being a Demo fun? Is it stressful? Do you feel pressure to get those sales in, is it hard to do? What are some of the benefits of being a Demo? What are negatives (if any)? Any and all advice, thoughts, comments, are welcomed!

TIA!

Pam
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2006, 04:21 PM   #2  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by *pamster*
Hi everyone -

Ok, I'm obsessed, as many of you can relate I'm sure, and I've been giving serious thought to becoming a SU Demo. Thing is I'm apprehensive about making the leap, and I just don't know if it's for me, if I should wait, etc. I spend a ton of money - could prob reach my quotas on my own. LOL Mostly I've been thinking of signing up just to get a discount for myself, start my own business and eventually be able to write off all my crafting supplies. But is this realistic? I have 4 kids, DD6, DS almost 4, and twin DD's 2 and so not a lotta time to do my thing, and also not much space to host workshops (would have to be in my LR or DR). This fall my kids will all be in school b/c DD's 2 will be in 3 days for a few hours in the a.m.'s, so maybe I'll be able to do some stuff then.

What things should I be considering? Is being a Demo fun? Is it stressful? Do you feel pressure to get those sales in, is it hard to do? What are some of the benefits of being a Demo? What are negatives (if any)? Any and all advice, thoughts, comments, are welcomed!

TIA!

Pam

Hi Pam!
I just joined the Stampin' Up! family in February. I can tell you that I am enjoying it. It does take some of my scrapbooking time away, but I'm still enjoying myself. I am onto my third workshop soon, which I wondered how in the world I would get them but they are coming to me so far. I have worked hard on flyers and word of mouth.
I have 5 kids. A 17 year old, twin 7 year olds and twin 3 year olds. I do my workshops mostly on weekends, but my hubby is home at night, so if need be, I can hold a workshop during the week. My job is flexible. It is fun, it can be stressful if you don't plan ahead. I got the jitters a bit with my first workshop, but now I already feel much more confident. The discount is a great perk! Good luck and hope this helped some.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2006, 04:26 PM   #3  
mlf
Inking Addict

The great thing about being a demonstrator is that you can be as busy as you want. If you want to just place your own orders - that's fine. That is how I started. I was new to NH and couldn't find any stamping supplies (in fact, co-workers thought I collected POSTAGE stamps!). I signed up in 2001 and began to share my stamping creations with others. Soon enough, people asked me to teach them. Thus, the start of my "business". I now have ten gals in my downline. We meet monthly for a meeting which includes a swap and a hands on project - sometimes a contest!

Being a demonstrator is a great opportunity to:
become more creative (wait until you see how much better your stamping will get)
attend SU events (like Convention in July)
feel more confident about yourself
make friends (especially crafty ones)
AND get a discount on those stamps!
If you want to talk more, please feel free to contact me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2006, 04:27 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Smile

Thanks for that - and wow another mom of twins! I've already met another SCS'er with 4 kids and twins.

Are you confident you'll be able to make the $250 in sales to keep up your status as Demo? (I think that's the number. Is it quarterly? I can't remember). Also how about the discount? Have you taken advantage of it? I think I read in here that you get a one-time 30% off your first order, is that right?

Thanks again for your reply - I really want to make sure I've thought this through before I do anything.

Pam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2006, 05:13 PM   #5  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh, Pam, do it! It's totally fun. I signed up a year ago this month and things have just gotten better and better. I LOVE teaching people to stamp! They are thrilled at their own creativity and it brings me great joy to have been the one to introduce them to it. SU is so easy too because you can choose to do workshops, hold big events, teach classes, or all three! Or none of them, and just take catalog orders or just buy for yourself. I haven't had any problem with the $300 quarterly quota since the first one.... this stuff sells itself! I have two recruits now who just fell into my lap, literally. The enthusiasm is completely contaigious. SU is a GREAT company and you're going to love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2006, 06:10 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

One of my worries is I'm in a very, hmm how shall we say this? hoity-toity area and there are crafty people, but then there are many people who just aren't. I'm not sure how easily I'll be able to get people into this here. I have a group of friends who do this, but we all go to the same demo so I'd have to start from scratch. But at the same time I have a bunch of mom friends who I think would love doing this, they just have no idea what it is or how you do it. I have to keep thinking about it, but I admit I really want to do it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2006, 06:15 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My suggestion is that you interview a few demos, preferably in your area. Get the "real deal" on money, time, etc. If you are in it primarily to get the discount, signing up is a no brainer. You get a great magazine, the discount, the ability to pre order items, access to the SU website, ability to attend training, conventions, etc. Why not? Your first HOSTESS order is 30% off and it has to be placed within 45 days (I think). After that it is a 20% discount, but you really need to talk with a demo to get all the information about compensation.

I figured that with tax and shipping and the discount, if I sold absolutely nothing to anyone except myself, it comes to approximately $23 a week, or $1200 a year. That is a lot of money, but frankly, I was dropping $60 or so in Michael's using the 40% coupon to get me in the door, and then I was buying various stuff, including pricey magazines. Now, I just buy SU, and don't have to spend 1200 a year because I do have a few customers.

The best part -- because I've stuck to one design line and really concentrated on technique and not just randomly buying stuff, I think my work is improving and I'm enjoying it more.

On the other hand, there is NO way I could have 4 young ones and do workshops too. I just don't have it in me! But many women do and they thrive at it. If you can't afford to meet the minimums yourself, it can be difficult in some areas to get customers. Plus, some folks just naturally attract sales and others are not very good at it. I'm aware of demos who make real money at this, but my guess is that many make just enough to plow it back into buying stuff.

The good thing is that there is no penalty for quitting -- you just stop. You can literally stop after you sign up. Many folks sign up just for the starter kit and the 30% discount, but I really think you'd stay because you sound high energy and enthusiastic. It is a lot of fun sharing what you love doing!

I'll go back to where I started - interview some demos and get the inside scoop!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2006, 06:55 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by *pamster*
Hi everyone -

TIA!

Pam
Well, I signed up a few months ago just to support my habit. I went to a stamp camp at my now upline's house and I had such a good time. I went with two other friends and one friend and I discussed getting the starter kit together, and then starting our own club. Between the three of us and our friends those sales would keep us active. I ended up signing up alone. I have been a independant sales rep before for another company and I knew how difficult it can get when you're entering shows online and who gets the credit, profit, etc. I have made some sales but I haven't done any parties yet and so far we are just doing our club thing and I am staying active. If it turns into something more than that's great! I quit my other self employment job because I got tired of lugging my stuff from house to house in the snow and wearing nice clothes and doing the splits in someone's driveway because it was slippery while holding a big dufflebag or holding a big rubbermaid bin. (I was doing PartyLite). Though I loved the people and the product I couldn't stand carting all that stuff around. With SU there is far less stuff to cart around so that's one plus. I also wrote off everything I bought for PL and on paper it looked like I didn't earn a thing. Which of course is true, my expenses far outweighed my income. All in all, i wasn't getting enough parties to stay active and to make it worth my while. I poured my heart and soul into PL and spent lots of money on flyers and "extras" trying to build my business and it ended up being such a huge waste of money. I even put together 200 door baggies with coupons, a flyer introducing myself, a frequent flyer card, samples, everything, and I got not ONE SINGLE response!!!
One huge difference is that I signed up with PartyLite to make money. I didn't sign up with SU to make money so the pressure isn't there to get the parties and to promote out (what we called becoming a leader). I am considering getting a website with SU, to post my calendar and see if I get any bites that way. But I dont' plan on seeking out parties per se. Anyway, I would say not to sign up with huge expectations b/c I did with PL and I was hugely disappointed in the end. I even went to the conference in DC last summer and spent huge amounts of money to go there and it didn't do anything for me; granted you get out what you put in, but I didn't excite me like I thought it would. I would to say to sign up with an open mind, no expectations, whatever happens, happens and have fun with it!!

The Card Keeper Kit, Album Kits & Envelope Album
www.jencaputo.com

Last edited by vtcrafter; 04-10-2006 at 06:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2006, 08:48 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Just do it!! You really have nothing to lose. It sounds like you are really enjoying SU! and your enthusiasm will be contagious. There is no yearly contract, so if you find that it is too much, that is not a problem. But, I am sure you will succeed and find that SU! is a great company to work with.

Good luck!

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/wynona
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2006, 10:31 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

I joined in Feb as well and I can tell you I have not regreted it at all . i have had a big kick off where i reaped the rewards as hostess . met my qouta over the board majorly and simply proud, tehn i have decided to take the less stressful way out and have a stamp group at my house every othe rmonth that way i ahev guarentee qouta and the rest is gravy! Well worth it and if your going to spend the $$ either way than heck why not!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 03:56 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I highly recommend giving it a shot. With the new catalog coming up, you'll get a complimentary copy in July! You won't have to meet your first minimum until the end of Sept!

That will give you plenty of time to figure out what level of involvement you'll have with SU.

I also really recommend starting a club. I finally started one after a year and a half of being a demo. I started out with 11 people. I had one club of 8 and a second club of 3-4 and I placed my supply orders and outside orders under the second club. Each month, a new person would join and now we're starting our second round of 8 months with two full 8-person clubs!

We meet at my house each month which means cheaper babysitting. The babysitter can go home when the kids go to bed. We are spread out all over my house. Kitchen table, dining room etc. I love it!

Good luck with your decision!
Vera
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 05:16 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by veramats
I highly recommend giving it a shot. With the new catalog coming up, you'll get a complimentary copy in July! You won't have to meet your first minimum until the end of Sept!

That will give you plenty of time to figure out what level of involvement you'll have with SU.

I also really recommend starting a club. I finally started one after a year and a half of being a demo. I started out with 11 people. I had one club of 8 and a second club of 3-4 and I placed my supply orders and outside orders under the second club. Each month, a new person would join and now we're starting our second round of 8 months with two full 8-person clubs!

We meet at my house each month which means cheaper babysitting. The babysitter can go home when the kids go to bed. We are spread out all over my house. Kitchen table, dining room etc. I love it!

Good luck with your decision!
Vera
So if I join anytime between now and July I have until Sept to meet the minimum? I didn't know that!

How is a club different than holding monthly workshops?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 05:39 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, SU gives you the current quarter plus the next quarter to meet your first minimum.

In a club, a group of stampers commit to coming each month for a set number of months. They also commit to placing a minimum order each month. It's a hostess club. Each month a different member gets the hostess benefits, so that's why each person needs to place an order each month so that each hostess gets at least a level one and $15 of product.

The benefits to the club members are: hostess benefits, learning techniques that you can't necessary go into at a workshop, friendships formed over the months, and more.

I give my club members a plastic binder that they can put their templates etc in. I print out the templates that we use at each meeting. I also print out directions for whatever technique that we're learning at that time etc.

Different demo's do their clubs differently based on their space, the club members preferences etc. I've heard them called Techniques Clubs, Hostess Clubs, Scrapbook Clubs (they get a layout and techniques each month) etc.

Hope that info helps you make a decision! : )

Vera
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 05:46 AM   #14  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

ya and if you do an "New Catty" party in July when it comes out you could probably make your minimums pretty easy!! Go for it, you really don't have much to lose!
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 06:01 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

Hi I joineds my self in August of last year I am having a blast and lots of people are interested in this. I have 2 young kids under 3 and you just make time at night to prep for shows or classes. I do classes on weekends so my dh can take my kids out and shows mostly nights and some weekends It is very easy to make the minimum. So dont worry and just join Good luck
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 06:09 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by veramats
Yup, SU gives you the current quarter plus the next quarter to meet your first minimum.

In a club, a group of stampers commit to coming each month for a set number of months. They also commit to placing a minimum order each month. It's a hostess club. Each month a different member gets the hostess benefits, so that's why each person needs to place an order each month so that each hostess gets at least a level one and $15 of product.

The benefits to the club members are: hostess benefits, learning techniques that you can't necessary go into at a workshop, friendships formed over the months, and more.

I give my club members a plastic binder that they can put their templates etc in. I print out the templates that we use at each meeting. I also print out directions for whatever technique that we're learning at that time etc.

Different demo's do their clubs differently based on their space, the club members preferences etc. I've heard them called Techniques Clubs, Hostess Clubs, Scrapbook Clubs (they get a layout and techniques each month) etc.

Hope that info helps you make a decision! : )

Vera

Oh - Ok I know what you're talking about - my demo does some of those but they're more to get you going with supplies. She has paper, marker and ribbon clubs, and basically you don't have to actually meet to do them. She just has 4 people who have to commit to the club, then each month a different person gets the goods.

Does the SU website offer all these ideas for demos, or are these just things people come up with on their own? I think the next things I need to do are talk to a couple demos in my area as was recommended earlier, and to have one of them show me the website and give me an idea for what's out there to Demo's only. I didn't know until the workshop I went to on Friday that there are a templates online.

You guys are definitely convincing me this is worth trying out.

What about tax write-offs? Have you guys taken advantage of that? I think when you incorporate yourself you don't have to make money for the first couple of years, and you can still write-off your expenses.

This is really awesome - thanks so much for answering all my questions!

-Pam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 07:23 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

What are the requirements and the initial coimmission? What is you sell nothing and only purchase for yourself?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 07:58 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by vlasak
What are the requirements and the initial coimmission? What is you sell nothing and only purchase for yourself?
I think there might be a chart online at the SU website that shows the commission structure.

The last I knew you had to sell $250 worth of stuff per quarter. Someone said it's $300, so it might have gone up. That $250 or $300 can be items you buy for yourself or items your customers buy from you or a combination of both. Since you get a 20% discount on anything you buy for yourself, some people just join for the discount. I've looked back at my craft purchases, not just SU, and found to my shock and horror ;) that I could come close to making that quota on my own without selling much of anything to anyone else. It could end up making sense to become a Demo just to get the discount, and anything that you sell over and above that is gravy!

Other requirements are you have to buy the Demonstrator Kit, which you can see here http://www.stampinup.com/ca/enc/556.asp
which you get for $285.

HTH

Pam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 08:07 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

It totally makes sense to become a demo since you spend so much money yourself. I support my own habbit and I haven't felt stressed about it at all. I'm gradually getting out there and selling a little bit more through workshops or catalog parties, but for the most part I do the buying. The problem where I live is that there are a ton of demos, so all of the crafty people I know already have demos that they are loyal to. I do understand your concern about living in a "hoity-toity" area. I lived in Bergen County for 25 years and can relate to your concern 100%. For as many crafty people that are in the area there are probably many more who just can't be bothered. Good luck...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 08:58 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Certain times of the year are more beneficial to sign up in. It's always good to sign up when there is a promotion. Last year SU had an ink pad promotion and of course there is sell-a-bration. It's also beneficial to sign up at the begininning of a quarter. You don't have to meet the $300 minimum in the quarter that you sign up in. For example if you sign up in April you don't have to make your minimum until the end of September; if you sign up in June you still only get until the end of September to make your minimum.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 11:39 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qbee
Certain times of the year are more beneficial to sign up in. It's always good to sign up when there is a promotion. Last year SU had an ink pad promotion and of course there is sell-a-bration. It's also beneficial to sign up at the begininning of a quarter. You don't have to meet the $300 minimum in the quarter that you sign up in. For example if you sign up in April you don't have to make your minimum until the end of September; if you sign up in June you still only get until the end of September to make your minimum.
That's great info - thanks Qbee!
Reply With Quote Likes