Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-08-2005, 02:30 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Thinking of becoming a demo....but (updated-2nd question)

I don't know a single soul where I live!! Me and my husband re-located to Massachusetts a little over 6 months ago and I haven't met anyone new since I don't work. I'd really like to become a demo but I'm worried that I won't have any customers. I know that I could support meeting the minimum sales requirements myself, but to me it wouldn't be worth it then. So I need some recommendations from all of you demos out there. How do I get myself out there if I do choose to become a demo?

Last edited by cas79; 11-08-2005 at 06:39 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2005, 02:37 PM   #2  
Watercolor Wizard

I adore my demo.... she lives in Chattanooga, TN and I live in NW Mississippi. We met in a scrapbooking group and I have been hers ever since. She always calls me and then answers all my looney questions. Or visits me in IM to go over stuff. I am in my 2nd SU club with her and I would not trade her for the WORLD!

There is a sweet lady 25 miles down the road from where I live that I bought some SU stuff from, but she does not go that extra mile for me the way Susan Polcari does. Sooooo I do my shopping on IM or email. If and when (and it will prob be in a year or so) I become a demo, I am signing up under her.

Arlene
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2005, 03:11 PM   #3  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I'd say that not knowing people is a great reason to sign up to be a demo! You will meet lots of people. Search the SU! website for demo's in your area and then email them. Tell them you are interested in becoming a demo, but you're not sure. Ask if they have upline meetings or stamp camps that you could attend. I did this same thing and I met a very nice woman who took me to one of her upline meetings and I ended up becoming a demo a couple days later.

Make sure you're comfortable with your upline, because you want to be supported in your business. Not only will your upline become your friend, but you will meet other demos at upline meetings and other SU! events.

As for getting customers... they can come from near and far. Email all your family and old friends and tell them of your decision to be an SU! demo. A lot of referrals happen from the SU! website when people click to "find a demo." If you do $500 in a quarter (I think?) your name will be posted to the website and people from your area can contact you. Also, think outside of the realm of work. If you belong to a church think about starting a group there, or make a doorhanger with treats in it for all of your neighbors and invite them to a demonstration at your house.

I hope this helps... keep brainstorming, it's what I'm trying to do as well since I just became a demo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2005, 05:58 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Smile I just sent my paperwork in today, so I know what you mean!

I have a few friends taht are customers. Church is a great way to find people that might be interested. Our YMCA offers scrapping/cardmaking classes and you could volunteer to teach them. That would be a way. You could post business cards in your apt building or in you neighborhood newsletter. Good luck! You can do it!! All you need are a few good customers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2005, 06:09 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I agree with Taylor!!! This is a perfect way for you to meet other people in your area!! I don't have children and didn't have an "in" meeting people - it taught me to go out and speak to people. My business took off and I'm doing this full time now!! You'll have a blast - it's one of the most rewarding jobs I've ever had!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2005, 06:38 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Thanks for the advice so far! I think that maybe if I do decide to become one I'll put up flyers everywhere and maybe even a small ad in the local paper. I thought of another question though.....say I send in my paperwork next week.....when does the quarter begin for me as far as meeting the $300....next January or as soon as the paperwork is processed?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2005, 07:08 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In both instances that I've moved as a demonstrator, it did help me get out and meet people in my new area and make new friends.

You would be signing up mid-quarter right now, so the end of your first FULL quarter would be March, and your minimum $300 sales would be required by the last business day of March. After that time, you must then achieve $300 in sales by the end of every sales quarter or you go into pending status ($300 in sales by end of June, $300 by end of September . . . December)

HTH,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2005, 11:10 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

From reading the demo forum, there seems to be great variation in how successful demos are at attracting customers. It is like any other sales job -- I think that some people have a pleasant assertiveness that just attracts customers to them!

I echo the suggestion to go online to www.stampinup.com and do the demo locator thing. That will give you an idea of where the closest demos are to you. If you are serious about making money at this, don't select an upline just because she is your friend. Rather, select your upline carefully, as that person should be able to provide you with ideas on how to find customers. Interview them and ask them how many customers they have; how long were they demos and how much time per week do they devote to their business. Find out what specifically they offer to their downline by way of help in growing their downline's business.

Also, you only need a few good customers to meet your minimums. I have a very small customer base -- about 7 ladies, almost all my customers are from my office. Getting 7 folks to spend a total of $100 a month is not hard. I got known there as the lady who makes hand stamped cards and they just asked me about it. Didn't even have to solicit. If I haven't got an order from someone in a while, I leave a little thank you or thinking of you card on her desk, using a set I know she doesn't have, or something new like to her, like the shimmery white paper or the watercolor crayons. Bingo -- an order!

Even though you are not working, you still must send gifts and cards to folks. Look for ways to send hand stamped items to folks in your town. Just make sure you have your little stampin up logo on the back! Eventually someone will ask. NONE of my friends is interested in stamping and would never come to a workshop; other demos invite the whole neighborhood and get a crowd.

SU sells magnetic door signs for your car and window stickers to to help spread the word. (I haven't gone that far). You can take your catalog to doctor appointments. You never know who might be looking over your shoulder!

Unless you are financially strapped, and really can't afford the starter kit, I think it is worth giving it a shot as there is no penalty for dropping out if you find you can't make your minimums. good luck
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2005, 03:37 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Carrie,

Where in Ma did you relocate to? We have a great group of demos!! I think there are 78 of us in one group. My upline is fantastic! She lives in Holliston and has monthly meetings. We really have a great time. I have met so many wonderful ladies through this group. She also has Yahoo group that we all have access to if you ever need help and just want to say Hi.
If interested in her info PM me. We would love to have you join our group!! If you signed up now you would not have to make your minimums until the end of March!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2005, 10:36 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Well I'm taking the plunge! It's taken me awhile to decide which stamp sets to get but I finally narrowed it down. Thanks so much for all of your help.....I really appreciate it. If only they could rush the order....I'd even pay extra if I could (I'm really impatient!) Thanks again for all of your help!

Reply With Quote Likes