Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-18-2005, 07:09 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of becoming a demo !!! Help !!!

Hi All: I'm seriously thinking of becoming a demo but I'm wondering what over and above costs that I would be looking at? I know that there is the obvious cost of the demo starter kit but what would you all suggest as the absolute must haves to start as a demo and I'd like to start small and then build as the business builds. Any help would be very very greatly appreciated. I'm in South Western Ontario, Canada so I know SU is fairly new here and has a lot of opportunity here. Thank in advance for your help !!

have a good one.
Corinne
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2005, 08:01 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

If you are wanting to start small & build from there, the kit is all you would need. Other than a place to store everything. Then for workshops you would want to get some pocket folders, or file folders to make up a guest packets in. That is pretty much it. The kit contains everything to get you started. Good luck!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2005, 08:07 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Default Thanks, Amylou

Thanks for a quick response. That's great news !! I'm really excited about this but I didn't want to get in over my head, money wise(at least not right at the beginning

Thanks again
Corinne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2005, 08:56 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I agree with the last post. Your kit really does have everything you "need" to get started. The only thing I would add VERY quickly would be a set of blender pens. I use blender pens and pastels at EVERY workshop. I show them a "soft" look by using the pastels dry and then show them how to get more color saturation (almost like a marker) using the blender pens. As a matter of fact, since joining (Oct.2004) I haven't sold a single set of pastels without selling blender pens as well. That way you appeal to everyone -- the "bold" people and the "soft" people. I always tell my customers that it is the least expensive way to get all 48 colors. I usually do a "Getting Started Kit" with a Black pad, Blender Pens, Pastels, White or Vanilla CS, favorite Asst. pack CS & A Greeting for All Reasons stamp set(pg 83). Works like a charm & helps people who are overwhelmed.

The best thing about the SU agreement is that there is no downside. It's not like they come to your door and repo your kit if you go inactive. There are no secrets or strings attached. You truly do have everything you need in the kit -- but darn, those blender pens are great!

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2005, 09:04 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Default Thank you so much !!

Thank you for the great advice !!! That makes perfect sense. My DH and I are going to talk tonight about this tonight. I'm very excited !! Your reply is helping to calm my anxious heart :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2005, 11:17 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

A couple of other things I would suggest,if you don't already have them,are a pair of paper snips(you'll love them!) $9.95 & a paper cutter (this is a Fiskars cutter, you "could" buy it at a craft store, but I'd just use my 30% off first order & get it then)$24.95 from SU. You'll be cutting a lot of paper! You might want to get some glitter, & a 2-way glue pen, my customers go nutty over our glitter. Dazzling diamond sparkles so nicely on anything!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2005, 11:21 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Default thanks so much !!

Thank you so much for your reply !! I'm getting really great advice and feeling more and more confident all the time !! The glitter is a great idea and I already have a couple fiskar cutters The glitter is beautiful !!

Take care and have a good day.
corinne :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2005, 11:25 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Wink

Thanks for this post! I'm about to join as well and am finding all of this information so helpful. Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2005, 11:45 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Default Glad its helping you too !!

Everything is easier when you have friends and good advice :p I've only joined the site a week ago and I'm overwhelmed at how friendly and helpful everyone is !

Take care (almost fellow demo gal)
Corinne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2005, 03:16 PM   #10  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

Look over what you might already have and go from there. I had ALL of the ink pads, and all the colors of cardstock so I didn't really have much more to purchase! I did with my 30% get the tool kit and a 6x6 album that I just love!! As far as stamp sets go the ones they recommend in the kit (if you like them and don't have them) I can't see them retiring them since there will be people in June signing up and couldn't see SU letting them purchase them if they were to retire!
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2005, 04:03 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

i agree with the tool kit, even if you dont' use it right away it's worth it to get it at 30% off (you'll use it eventually).

as to what else you need right away--paper. you get a sample with the starter kit (2 packs in your choice of one color family) but if you plan to have make & takes or do tho you will need more paper. just get what you need to do the projects you pick out--but you really do want to get it.

i would also suggest investing in embellishments. you can get them as you go but with 30% off, i'd seriously consider at least going for a few colors of ribbon (or get the hemp and cords--cheap and versatile) and a pack or two of eyelets or brads. these are the little things that make all the difference in your projects! you don't have to have them, but i'd really encourage it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2005, 04:46 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I did not purchase much extra than what came in my kit...HOWEVER...there are some essentials you will need to keep organized...

HANGING FILE FOLDERS...get an entire box...believe me you will want to keep it all organized from day one. I have a file for Orders that have been submitted but have not arrived, I call it PENDING ORDERS...then I have a folder for delivered orders called FULFILLED ORDERS... I also have one for receipts that are too big to fit in my planner envelopes and I have one for my recruit brochures and other SU materials like the stampin techs etc....

RED PENS.... guests are less likely to walk off with a red pen and you can see them easier and say gently, "I can put that away right here for you if you would like" once they are done writing you that five hundred dollar check... ;)

COPY PAPER...get a ream...it is VERY HANDY for EVERYTHING!!! LOL

Really other than that the above ideas are great as well! If you do not have a file cabinet for all this to go in YET...get one of those boxes made of plastic that has the "rim" for the hanging files to hang off of...they are about four dollars (US) at Walmart and Target and KMart... I have no idea what you have near you but you know what kind of store I mean...

The best thing also to have as a DEMO is a HUGE SMILE and LISTENING EARS....both are PRICELESS when it comes to working with people!
Good luck let us know what you decide!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2005, 04:59 PM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Default Great Advice....once again

Wow !!! That's great advice !! I can hardly for my demo gal to call and make arrangments to sign up I'm so thankful for everyone's advice. If you end up having more for me...bring it on

Thanks again
Corinne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2005, 05:22 PM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

Corrinne

I also live in SouthWestern Ontario..you have to love this weather.
I agree with starting with the kit, blender pens and a cutter. You may as well buy SU's and then you can demo it. I found it difficult to not purchase everything in the catalogue so my advice is set a limit on how much you want to spend of your own money each month and sttick to it....I wish I could. I would pick the sets that you really like not the ones they suggest. It's easier to demo somethin you love.
I love being a demo..I love the people I meet & spending time doing something I love.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2005, 06:23 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Default I Agree !!

I completely agree with your advice about buying the stamps that I love. I already own a few sets and I'm pretty sure I know which ones I'll order for my kit. I also agree with you about the cutter & blender pens. I have received so much great advice that it blows me away :p Thank you for your wise words and I look forward to becoming an official demo soon.

Take care.
Corinne
Reply With Quote Likes