Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-04-2010, 01:52 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those that have unmounted

Is there ANY stamps that you didn't unmount? and if so, why not?

I am in the process of unmounting.. does the mound ever end? LOL and I am debating on whether or not to unmount my single stamps.. ie Michaels/AC Moore/ Joanns $1 stamps.. House Mouse (not sure I can bring myself to do those *sigh*) etc

Am curious

TIA for any suggestions and comments
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2010, 02:20 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I don't UM my background stamps, or bigger scene type stamps. Definitely UM the $1.00 stamps.I peel the label off the block and put it on my index sheets. Sometimes I need to put some packing tape over the label to hold it down, but hey I have the cute little image!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2010, 02:48 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't bring myself to unmount my House Mouse stamps, either They're just like little works of art and look so cute! Everything else, though, I either buy the unmounted option or unmount them myself - including my rather extensive collection of $1 stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2010, 04:46 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't unmount my SU sets (although i will probably buy the UM option in the future) because I tend to sell my stamps after using them for a bit of a while and I've found that I got a much better return on SU sets if they were still on wood than if I unmounted them.

I don't unmount much anymore actually, I tend to mostly buy unmounted. I have one drawer of wood mounts, plus a handful of SU sets.

I would be careful about the house mouse ones because of how highly detailed they are I would worry that I wouldn't get a great image out of them if I unmounted them. I'm sure people do it and it works but I'd worry. Also they have the most lovely indexing on the mounts and I would not want to loose that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2010, 04:48 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

I have just recently finished unmounting all of my stamps! Yes, the piles of stamps seems to grow, but you will get it done slowly but surely! I only had 1 House Mouse stamp so it was not a traumatic experience for me! My large background stamps fit nicely into DVD cases and the others are in CD cases. I can't believe the space that it saves (or makes room for new!!!).

Tiffy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2010, 05:03 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only stamps I didn't unmount were the few large background and design stamps I have. I don't have an acrylic block large enough for those few.

Otherwise I unmounted everything and separate each individual stamp into a category according to the design on the stamp.

Since I liked the stamp when I purchased it, there would be no reason I would get rid of it, so unmounting is the way to go.

I take the stamp down to the bare rubber and just double side tape to the acrylic block when using it. I can't see unmounting from wood block only to then put the EZ mount stuff on it. The Tack it Over and Over to me is more work than just using double sided tape.

I use a stamping pad under my project when stamping to get a crisp image.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2010, 05:14 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

I did not unmount my background stamps or stamps that I thought some day I might sell. I used cheap thin remount when I first started but switched to ez mount since I personally liked it better. It is all a very individual choice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2010, 05:17 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

I didn't unmount my large background stamps or my House Mouse stamps. Everything else I did unmount and divided them up into catagories. I know some people don't like to break up the SU sets, but to me the main purpose of doing all this was to be able to save room and ORGANIZE them! I find I use my stamps more now that I can find what I'm looking for!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2010, 05:44 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 520 Likes on 234 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by franb63View Post
I am in the process of unmounting.. does the mound ever end? LOL

No, the mound never ends. Because we keep buying more! LOL!

PS I unmounted everything...or I should say I am in the process of getting the last bits unmounted. I use EZMount because I like it. I am considering leaving my big backgrounds as bare rubber and using tack and peel on the new large SU block with them. For me it is a space issue. I have lots of backgrounds.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2010, 06:04 AM   #10  
Crimping Master

You'll get caught up eventually LOL I unmounted all of mine, but wish now that I had left the background stamps on the blocks :(

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2010, 06:06 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

I am in the process of unmounting my stamps and I have decided to leave the background stamps, Thomas Kinkade, House mouse stamps all mounted. I also have a couple of SU sets that have all the small words and letters and it would be to much of a hassle to unmount those so I am leaving the way they are. I only do a few sets at a time this way it doesn't seem so overwhelming and I put them on to EZ mount. It might seem like a huge project when you first start but I think it will be worth it in the end. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2010, 06:07 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
No, the mound never ends. Because we keep buying more! LOL!

PS I unmounted everything...or I should say I am in the process of getting the last bits unmounted. I use EZMount because I like it. I am considering leaving my big backgrounds as bare rubber and using tack and peel on the new large SU block with them. For me it is a space issue. I have lots of backgrounds.
Well, if you decided to ditch those blocks let me know and maybe we can work out some kind of deal LOL

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2010, 06:43 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've started the process of unmounting all my wm stamps. I unmount everything. I also gently peel off the index image from the wood block and adhere that to the stamp and then trim. I use Aileen's TIO&O and it dries clear so I can still see the image through my block. I have a long way to go before I'm finished um'ing all my stamps - that's my 2010 resolution - to buy no more wm stamps until I can get what I have unmounted first.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2010, 07:19 AM   #14  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I've been unmounting all year as I need space so I still have stamps I haven't unmounted yet.

Stamps I'll never unmount: Laser engraved wood from Stamp Mania (just too pretty), my little stamps I use to make scenes (grasses, rocks, etc), Penny Black waterbrush style (just because I like them in wood).

Newest stamps I don't unmount either unless they won't fit in the appropriate drawer. They are still pretty until I funk them up with ink.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2010, 07:38 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

I unmount everything--no prisoners

Working slowly but steadily, you will eventually get through them all. It is daunting.

Unlike some people, I actually find I get a better image with my large bg stamps now that they are unmounted. It's personal choice of course. But I had lots of bg stamps that I wasn't using much until I got them unmounted, now I'm making cards with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2010, 08:06 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

I unmounted all of my stamps a couple of years ago with the exception of the background stamps. I started by using Alene's Tack it Over, but then went to ez mount. (I also used some graphix cling on a couple of sets - which doesn't stick well to the acrylic block.) I haven't been stamping in quite a while - until lately. When I pulled out some of my sets with the Aileen's, the cushion had hardened and some of the sets were so stuck to the cd case that the cushion ripped when I carefully tried to get the stamp off. Just something to think about if you are trying Aleene's. Definately don't put the Aleens's on the back of the cushion - maybe on a block would work better. (But then you can't use that block for your clear stamps) Anway, I will just remove the rubber and start again with ez mount - which I LOVE! Just my two cents...Happy Stamping!:-D

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2010, 08:07 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,074 Likes on 824 Posts

I sometimes find it easier if sentiments are mounted - but that's because I use the Stamp-a-ma-jig to position them. Sure, you can still do it when they're on a clear block, but then you have to stamp a trial each time. For sentiments I use a lot, I have them all stamped on thick vellum, so it's one step less to do when I'm making the card. I guess, in fact, anything that I know I will almost always use the SAMJ for is worth keeping wood-mounted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2010, 08:12 AM   #18  
Inking Addict

I didn't unmount All in the Family from SU and my small collection of alphabet stamps. Eventually, I'll probably do the alphas but, frankly, I don't use them that often. Other than that, I unmounted EVERYTHING. If I couldn't get it off the foam, I pitched it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2010, 08:44 AM   #19  
Kookie Creator

I've unmounted everything except the ones I use as decoration in my scraproom.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2010, 11:05 AM   #20  

I am in the process of unmouting all my stamps. I am holding off on my SU stamps because I just haven't decided if I want to break them up or not. It took me forever to decide to unmount my other stamps to begin with. LOL. What I tried to do so it wouldn't be so daunting is unmount to the bare rubber, categorize them and put them in titled baggies. I then started with Aileen's TIO&O. I left all my Christmas stamps until later since Christmas is over and worked on the categories I use a lot of. Flowers, flourishes, birthday stamps etc. Mentally I feel like I'm making headway when the bags get emptied. Have a long way to go yet. Some of the bare rubber stamps I couldn't get all the glue off so the TIO&O doesn't stick well. Those that fell off my moutning boards from Sunday Intl I used the Thin E-Z mount. I also decided that when I do the SU stamps I will use the thicker gray E-Z mount since their new clear stamps will have the same thickness and they will be consistent. My goal was to save space and for me I think this will work out just great (for now). Good grief I have to quit organizing LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2010, 12:52 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

I don't unmount my D. Morgan stamps, House Mouse Stamps, and SU stamp sets. However, I'm in the process of unmounting a lot of 1.00 stamps and ones I don't use often. If they were expensive stamps I don't unmount as I want my children to be able to sell them after I'm gone, and unmounted stamps just don't seem to hold their value. Other than that I would unmount everything because of space. Now that SU has gone into unmounted stamps and they are reasonable, I will probably only order those. Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.
sam

sam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2010, 01:45 PM   #22  
Gabfest Goddess

I haven't unmounted too much but for the SU stamps that I probably will eventually sell, I definitely keep them mounted so I can get as much back on the sale as possible.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2010, 02:04 PM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

I have unmounted all my stamps except the large background stamps and those are still on their woodblocks because I haven't yet bought any very large acrylic blocks. I have put all my newly ums onto EZ Mount as I love the cushion effect.
Love the amount of space I have now and all my stamps are organised into binders so I can see exactly what stamps I have.

Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2010, 06:10 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

The only HM I unmounted were the ones which would not give me a full image for love nor money. I like to keep the ones which do mounted, coz I like the coloured images on top as a guide for my own colouring.

I usually leave a stamp mounted if it gives me no trouble no matter what the brand....but tend to buy a lot of UMs, just coz I am set up beautifully for that way of stamping...even have acrylic blocks called yoyos which makes it really easy for hands with soreness to get around.

Michelle

Quote:

Originally Posted by franb63View Post
Is there ANY stamps that you didn't unmount? and if so, why not?

I am in the process of unmounting.. does the mound ever end? LOL and I am debating on whether or not to unmount my single stamps.. ie Michaels/AC Moore/ Joanns $1 stamps.. House Mouse (not sure I can bring myself to do those *sigh*) etc

Am curious

TIA for any suggestions and comments
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2010, 06:11 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

As an addition...to unmount everything I have would be a monumental pain in the bum! I have been stamping since the early 1990's....mmm....not gunna happen!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2010, 05:45 PM   #26  
Compulsive Stamper

Ahhh... Shellpole and I are going to be the hold outs on this thread that have left every last SU stamp set securely mounted on their wood blocks! Why bother? I say. I have about 80 (90? 100?) sets, stacked on shelves in my craft area. Sure they could be stored in a smaller area if they weren't on wood blocks, but that makes no difference to me. I have them sorted and labeled, I just grab and stamp. Also, such a project to unmount them ... for what? Just to save space in your craft room? (don't crucify me you un-mounters!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2010, 05:57 AM   #27  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CNewmanView Post
Ahhh... Shellpole and I are going to be the hold outs on this thread that have left every last SU stamp set securely mounted on their wood blocks! Why bother? I say. I have about 80 (90? 100?) sets, stacked on shelves in my craft area. Sure they could be stored in a smaller area if they weren't on wood blocks, but that makes no difference to me. I have them sorted and labeled, I just grab and stamp. Also, such a project to unmount them ... for what? Just to save space in your craft room? (don't crucify me you un-mounters!)
I'm an "un-mounter" and would not think of hanging you up by your pinkies :-D The only reason I started un-mounting was for space - I wanted more stamps and so to make room, I had to either sell off my beloved friends or un-mount them and with more than 6,000 stamps storarge can become an issue. I also had a lot of unmounted stamps anyway, so it wasn't that big of a deal for me.

I'm also one of the awful ones who break out the sets into categories and that is one comment that sometimes gets a few "oh-no" comments!

All in all, I figure the differences is what makes the world interesting ;) Thanks for sharing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2010, 06:02 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

wow a wide variety of answers love it..
thanks for everyones input
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2010, 06:27 AM   #29  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 670 Likes on 422 Posts

I am on the fence about unmounting a few of my stamps, and i think if i do it it will be to the cheap hampton arts dollar bin ones to start with, but i would also ad PSX ( personal stamp exchange ) to the list of ones i would not consider unmounting, some of these go for big bucks second hand and Ive already told hubs if i go first to sell my junk not pitch it in the wood stove in the barn... lol

hth,

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2010, 09:58 AM   #30  
Inking Addict

I'm not un-mounting anything I already have, but I'm ordering new stamps as un-mounted when given the option. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #31  
Mad Swapper

I am in the process of unmounting - quite a daunting task! I have unmounted about 125 SU sets so far (only about 45 of those have I got onto ezmount yet) and it seems like the pile of "done" is huge, but the pile to do never gets any smaller....I don't get it (shaking head)

I am very excited about the space I am saving though - can't wait to have room for more stuff. I did not have much choice - we moved, and my new craft space is a loft, so although I have more work space, I have not walls, which makes storage space a bit challenging and really hard to organize!

I think I am going to unmount everything, still debating on the backgrounds only. I really only have SU sets so far, haven't branched out a lot to others and I don't have any intention of selling anything because I will hoard until I die so no worries about resale value etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2010, 12:15 PM   #32  
Kookie Creator

For now, I only mount the stamps that come unmounted OR the stamps that go in a category that I will use a lot and I want to put in the notebooks with my UM stamps. If they are already mounted, I generally leave them that way for now. Also, if I buy a sheet of rubber and there's a couple of stamps on the sheet that I don't think I will use often I sometimes leave those UM too.

Holley
A new project everyday! http://holleybarnhartsblog.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2010, 03:15 PM   #33  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I own a few wood mounted Stamps. Stampin up! and other.

These I have not unmounted, Cause I purchased them these way. And If I ever decide to sell them. The person can do what they want to them.

I mostly purchase unmounted Rubber stamps(with Cling foam) that use a Acrylic Block.

Which is BIG savings to me. and saves a lot of Space too.

I store mine in a 3 ringed notebook.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2010, 03:19 AM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

Yeah.....I am thinking of taking over another room in my house now the kidlets have flown the coop!...Seriously though, for me....with only myself and hubby in my home.....why bother...I am going to spend that time doing something else....

I can certainly see the need for those who are space constricted to go that route...awesomely huge job....makes me cringe just to think of it!

I invested in these drawers....it is absolutely amazing just how many stamps can be shoved into these things! Such space savers...

http://scrapbooking.arnolds.net.au/c...q5953n0e2uq9k3

I have the desk too which matches and truly think I ma in heaven having most things at my fingertips!

Michelle

Quote:

Originally Posted by CNewmanView Post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2010, 03:50 AM   #35  
Mad Swapper

I have some likes and dislikes.....

I unmounted my BG stamps and wish I wouldn't have.
I unmounted my wheels and LOVE them unmounted.
I didn't unmount my alphabet stamps and am very happy with that.
Now that SU has the unmounted option I will be unmounting the rest of my stamps, just not my BG and alphabet.

ETA: I didn't seperate them into catergories (flowers, Christmas, etc...). I left them together in DVD or CD cases.

"Kindness is something the the blind can see and the deaf can hear" -unknown

Last edited by tay0479; 01-07-2010 at 03:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2010, 03:54 AM   #36  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
I am on the fence about unmounting a few of my stamps, and i think if i do it it will be to the cheap hampton arts dollar bin ones to start with, but i would also ad PSX ( personal stamp exchange ) to the list of ones i would not consider unmounting, some of these go for big bucks second hand and Ive already told hubs if i go first to sell my junk not pitch it in the wood stove in the barn... lol

hth,

I told my DH the same thing. I told him to put them on here in the BST and if they didn't sell here then ebay. And I told him not just the stamps but the paper, ink and accessories too. LOL

"Kindness is something the the blind can see and the deaf can hear" -unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2010, 03:56 AM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

I do not unmount my House-Mouse, Thomas Kinkade or some of the Penny Black stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2010, 05:19 AM   #38  
Glitter Queen

I just spent 3 days unmounting all of my stamps and cataloging them by set on copy paper. I placed the acrylic image on the back of the box and the stamp over it on the inside. I put the sheets in clear folders in a binder. Now I can see what I have at a glance and I can combine stamps from different sets. Now what to do with all of the wood. I have a friend who's husband is into wood making so maybe I will give him a try. As far as reselling the sets, I think ladies will buy them anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2010, 07:01 AM   #39  
Watercolor Wizard

I will not unmount my House Mouse, or any wood mounted stamp. I usually buy unmounted and I am glad that SU has started to sell unmounted, but as far as the beautiful colored wood sets I have, I brought them for the beauty and art of the image on the wood. But then, I do not own a lot of wood stamps, but I still occasionally will buy a wood stamp because of the beauty of the colors they apply to the image, wood stamps are like a work of art when colored but that is me.
Reply With Quote Likes