Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-31-2008, 09:25 AM   #241  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks I will have to check again but thats where I looked on the last two occasions that I've gone.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2009, 03:31 PM   #242  
Stazon Splitcoast

oh wow, love all the tips.
didnt know walmart had crystal effects, need to go to walmart now lol ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2009, 04:10 PM   #243  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 993 Likes on 676 Posts

How do you stick the dry wall tape to the paper? Do you need to use a certain type of ink pad? If these were answered, I missed them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2009, 05:52 PM   #244  
Cardstock Collector

Another money saver is to buy those cheap bunches of artificial flowers and pull them apart for your embellishments. You can get some great colours and different sizes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2009, 10:35 PM   #245  
Polyshrink Goddess

I had a heap of all these ideas I used to use then I realised what a major hassle and false economy some of them were. Bear with me and read until the end of my post for my money saving ideas.

Glycerine for Versamark was one of the things I tried and never again! While it looks the same there's definitely something different about it as I found my image was never as crisp as real Versamark and you could really tell when you used it with chalks to do chalk popping. I ended up ruining my Versamark (had to use a tonne of paper towels to soak up the glycerine and then reink) - when I could have just bought the reinker which lasts many many years anyway.

Excess foam from rubber off-cuts is another disaster - it doesn't hold as well. I realised this after some cards that I received from a friend fell apart by using these instead of proper foam dots/Stampin' Dimensionals/whatever brand you like.

Early on in my cardmaking I would buy cheap cardstock and I thought it was odd that anyone would be buying 'cardmaking' cardstock as I felt it was too expensive. I could never understand why my cards still didn't look as nice as I thought they should... fast forward to buying good quality cardstock and my cardmaking improved incredibly.

One thing that I think is easy and doable is to have some punches handy to punch out the middle of cardstock that you are about to layer on. You can't see the inside as it'll be covered up so punch away.

My opinion is to make more use out of the products you have - find different ways of using them and challenge yourself to be more creative.

* Use up every little bit of ribbon you have, e.g. like this card I made: scrap ribbon card

* Challenge yourself to use that rarely used stamp(s) using 5 different techniques/styles

* punch out little flowers from the smallest scraps of patterned paper and keep them in a little bowl on your desk for a quick and free (because you would have thrown the scrap out anyway) embellishment.

* Challenge yourself to use up items that aren't your favourites anymore such as crimping, sanding down or stamping over patterned paper.

* Use your inkpads to watercolour with - it's another great use for your inkpads and getting double-use out of something is stretching your dollar further.

Hope this helps someone!

Angela
My Facebook Fan Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2009, 08:18 AM   #246  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by skajView Post
Another money saver is to buy those cheap bunches of artificial flowers and pull them apart for your embellishments. You can get some great colours and different sizes.
I have been doing that now. I found some really cute daisies the other day a big bunch for a dollar, but I havent used it yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2009, 08:20 AM   #247  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pretzelgirl8View Post
I had a heap of all these ideas I used to use then I realised what a major hassle and false economy some of them were. Bear with me and read until the end of my post for my money saving ideas.

Glycerine for Versamark was one of the things I tried and never again! While it looks the same there's definitely something different about it as I found my image was never as crisp as real Versamark and you could really tell when you used it with chalks to do chalk popping. I ended up ruining my Versamark (had to use a tonne of paper towels to soak up the glycerine and then reink) - when I could have just bought the reinker which lasts many many years anyway.

Excess foam from rubber off-cuts is another disaster - it doesn't hold as well. I realised this after some cards that I received from a friend fell apart by using these instead of proper foam dots/Stampin' Dimensionals/whatever brand you like.

Early on in my cardmaking I would buy cheap cardstock and I thought it was odd that anyone would be buying 'cardmaking' cardstock as I felt it was too expensive. I could never understand why my cards still didn't look as nice as I thought they should... fast forward to buying good quality cardstock and my cardmaking improved incredibly.

One thing that I think is easy and doable is to have some punches handy to punch out the middle of cardstock that you are about to layer on. You can't see the inside as it'll be covered up so punch away.

My opinion is to make more use out of the products you have - find different ways of using them and challenge yourself to be more creative.

* Use up every little bit of ribbon you have, e.g. like this card I made: scrap ribbon card

* Challenge yourself to use that rarely used stamp(s) using 5 different techniques/styles

* punch out little flowers from the smallest scraps of patterned paper and keep them in a little bowl on your desk for a quick and free (because you would have thrown the scrap out anyway) embellishment.

* Challenge yourself to use up items that aren't your favourites anymore such as crimping, sanding down or stamping over patterned paper.

* Use your inkpads to watercolour with - it's another great use for your inkpads and getting double-use out of something is stretching your dollar further.

Hope this helps someone!

Angela
My Facebook Fan Page
great tips, love the idea of the ribbon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2009, 06:15 AM   #248  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by dot2dotView Post
I would like to hear what the rest of you do to save money on supplies. Here are some of my ideas:

I save the left over bits of rubber/foam after I cut stamps and use instead of pop dots and for shaker frames.

I make my own ink pads by buying the old SU style blank pads and filling with SU reinkers. (ATRS has pads in their dollar store called Comotion that are identical to the old SU pads for $1 each).

I mix SU mist cleaner 1 part to 5 parts water in my spray bottle (50 cents at Wal-mart in the travel cosmetic area) and it cleans just as good.

I buy paint trimmer pads to use as stamp scrubbers. Added bonus: They don't shed.

I also buy photo foam mounting tape instead of pop dots.

I buy dry wall tape at Walmart instead of Magic Mesh. You can emboss it, brayer it and it runs about $2.50 for enough to last a lifetime.

I buy cosmetic sponges and cut them up for sponging.

I use Walmart red glue roller tape and Walmart Crystal 3-D effects ($1.50 a bottle).

I made my own wheel guide by using pop dots under a ruler.

I use Walmart Georgia Pacific cardstock. It is fantastic, thick and very white.

I buy Perfect Ink Refresher all the time instead of reinking pads and pens. It will extend the life of your inkpad about 4 times longer instead of reinking all the time.

I buy clear envelopes in bulk from www.clearenvelopes.com

You can buy metal edge tags at Staples in the shipping department for hardly anything.

I use fishing lure round plastic stackable holders for embellishments from Walmart sporting goods dept.

I color my own eyelets and brads by dipping in clear nail polish and then embossing powder and heating.

Share your ideas too!!!!!!!!!
Please tell me what the ATRS store is where you buy your blank stamp pads. Thank you. :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2009, 06:22 AM   #249  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetteringMamaView Post
Please tell me what the ATRS store is where you buy your blank stamp pads. Thank you. :confused:
ATRS is Addicted to Rubber Stamps, I believe. They are a sponsor site to SCS now I think.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2009, 06:27 AM   #250  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigfingersView Post
ATRS is Addicted to Rubber Stamps, I believe. They are a sponsor site to SCS now I think.
Thank you for that info. May I ask then what the dollar store Commotion is? I don't live in the US but am coming down for a few days next month so wanted to check this out. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2009, 08:38 PM   #251  
Die Cut Diva

I always check out my Dollar Tree when I'm in. I browse through every single aisle. I've seen quite a few name-brand items that have made their way there, for a huge cost savings. Not all Dollar Trees are the same, though. I have about 4 within quick driving distance, and only one gets the really good shipments.

One thing I picked up when I was in two days ago was their beading charms. They are their brand, so I doubt they're as fancy as anything you'd get with the Swarovski name on them. But I'm making cards, not the queen's crown jewels, so they're good enough for me. I found 4-5 varieties of charms, about 3/4" each. They came in a pack of 6-8 of each design. I haven't made any cards with them yet, but I might get a chance yet tonight.

I love the ideas! Keep them coming!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2009, 08:55 PM   #252  
Compulsive Stamper

Wow! These are great ideas. So many clever crafters on this site.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2009, 09:29 PM   #253  
Matboard Maniac

I can't believe all the great ideas! I am going to recheck this thread often. It is difficult to digest all of it at once. I am off to search for some perfect ink spray.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2009, 09:31 PM   #254  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love this thread, gonna go to dollar tree tomorrow.
I have found some cute embellishments and wood embellishments too. my daughter painted some wood flowers and made a card for grandma for mothers day, it came out really nice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2009, 12:15 AM   #255  
Insane Embellisher

I save money in OTHER areas of my life so I have more money for stamping/scrapping:mrgreen::

1. I groom my two schnauzers ($60 every 6-8 weeks!)
2. I do lots of baking and cooking, we rarely eat expensive instant foods (my husband's co-workers think he's totally spoiled when they see his lunches!)
3. I buy almost all our groceries/household stuff on sale (e.g. paper towels), plus I USE those spend $40 and get $5 off your order at the grocery store coupons, plus many other coupons!
4. I color my own hair ($45 at a salon vs. $8 for hair color)
5. I cut my husband's hair ($15 a month)

so, I rarely feel guilty for buying quality cs or dp from SU or even stamp sets from CTMH, and my DH knows I do everything I can to save us money!

I've founds lots of cheaper stamp sets just don't have the crisp images of the better companies, so I stick to quality!

I rarely buy anything at Mike's or JoAnn's without a coupon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2009, 04:35 AM   #256  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by skajView Post
I have done this too. It sure saves money!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2009, 04:37 AM   #257  
Glitter Guru

Fabulous tips everyone. Thanks!! I can't think of anything right now that hasn't already been said.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2009, 08:51 PM   #258  
Cardstock Collector

Default need source for blank ink pads

[QUOTE=dot2dot;411674]I would like to hear what the rest of you do to save money on supplies. Here are some of my ideas:

I make my own ink pads by buying the old SU style blank pads and filling with SU reinkers. (ATRS has pads in their dollar store called Comotion that are identical to the old SU pads for $1 each).

Would you provide me with a direct link for the blank ink pads.
I searched on the addicted to Rubber stamps site and could not
find them.

Thanks

Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2009, 08:55 PM   #259  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 174 Likes on 130 Posts

susan-welcome
we have many stampers near your area
come chat w/ us.
get it together thread-cny "can't stamp together enough"
just jump in & join us!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2009, 02:04 AM   #260  
Compulsive Stamper

I found the Perfect Ink Refresher online at Addicted to Rubberstamps. Was 10% off with special shipping rate over memorial day. They often have specials on line so i always check the site out every week or so.

Janet
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2009, 03:44 AM   #261  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My tip to save money is to try digital stamps. I seem to be on a kick with these and am loving them. The cost is significantly lower than 'real' stamps (often free!) and there's no need to buy storage for them! I really think they are the future in paper-crafting. I will still buy Penny Black critters and any other stamp that catches my eye, but, if I can get an image I want in a digital format, I will.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2009, 05:18 AM   #262  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy HeartView Post
My tip to save money is to try digital stamps. I seem to be on a kick with these and am loving them. The cost is significantly lower than 'real' stamps (often free!) and there's no need to buy storage for them! I really think they are the future in paper-crafting. I will still buy Penny Black critters and any other stamp that catches my eye, but, if I can get an image I want in a digital format, I will.
Where do you look for something like that. I have to admit I did not know there was such a thing as digital stamps. You just run them out on your printer? Sounds good to me. I would love to have a nice selection of images I do not have to store and clean.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2009, 05:40 AM   #263  
Insane Embellisher

I bought a box of transparencies at the office supply store...but every time I try to use them, they end up with some many finger prints on them...they are ugly. Do the SU window sheets get as dirty when you work with them?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2009, 08:09 PM   #264  
Matboard Maniac

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

subscribing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2009, 08:26 PM   #265  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yikes, I think I may need to visit this thread more often. Some great ideas everyone.
DO U KNOW?
BRAK members love to send SCSers cards on their birthdays? Come join us.

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there
is no path and leave a trail." ... Ralph Waldo Emerson
Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2009, 11:46 PM   #266  
Kookie Creator

This might sound funny, but when my kid's hair jewelry breaks or just isn't good for hair any more, I use parts of it. For example, there were some glittery butterflies on her old hair ties, and some of the old barrettes had some great bling... it is rather like taking apart costume jewelry that we find at consignment shops and thrift stores and such... I am getting very into recycling. It saves a ton of money, and is rather fun and entertaining.
http://inkingitup.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2009, 02:24 AM   #267  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarmelliaView Post
Where do you look for something like that. I have to admit I did not know there was such a thing as digital stamps. You just run them out on your printer? Sounds good to me. I would love to have a nice selection of images I do not have to store and clean.

If you do a Google search for 'digital stamps' or 'free digital stamps', you should find a lot. There are also threads in the forums that list several sites.

Here are a few to get you started:

http://sketchingstamperdigi-stamps.blogspot.com/

http://fred-she-said-store.blogspot.com/

http://dustinpike.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2009, 06:05 AM   #268  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by klhbensonView Post
I bought a box of transparencies at the office supply store...but every time I try to use them, they end up with some many finger prints on them...they are ugly. Do the SU window sheets get as dirty when you work with them?
I have not tried using transparencies. I have used some acetate page protectors we have had laying around the office for years. I did not notice that fingerprints were a problem. I have not used the SU sheets, just the page protectors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2009, 10:58 AM   #269  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: In a place where there is Never enough TIME to stamp

[QUOTE=Suez1030;14220506]
Quote:

Originally Posted by dot2dotView Post
I would like to hear what the rest of you do to save money on supplies. Here are some of my ideas:

Would you provide me with a direct link for the blank ink pads.
I searched on the addicted to Rubber stamps site and could not
find them.

Thanks

Susan
YES!!! Link PLEASE!!!!! Their site is HUGE>>>!!! And their search box kinda sucks.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2009, 12:58 PM   #270  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by KookieView Post
SU white cardstock over W@lmart cardstock
Do this simple test:
stamp an image on SU white and then on W@lmart white. Compare the two images. The ink soaks into SU white so much better giving you a more crisp/solid image. Even with the very fine detailed stamps. Almost like it was printed rather than stamped.

I am all about saving $$ but I also take great pride in my stamp work so sometimes you have to spend a little more to get a better end result.
I kind of agree with this. So what I do instead is, I use the Walmart paper where it is not seen much, like if I want to use a white mat, then instead of using my precious SU or PTI White paper, I use the walmart paper. or if I am punching out a circle to mat and sometimes when I make the card out of a darker card base, I like to put a white mat inside so that it is easier to write and for that also I use walmart paper. So you can save money and still use quality products if you just plan a little ahead for your project.

Instead of just starting off on a project by starting to cut a new sheet of CS, I first look through my scraps to see if there is something that I can use. I have a drawer for for the CS that I cut out for card base and have one left over.

So, my thought is that you can save as much money by reusing, using your supplies well as you would by buying slightly cheaper products. Anyways just my two cents on this subject.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2009, 09:35 PM   #271  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh i use walmart cardstock all the time, I love it!
and digi stamps Im usign more and more these days, they are so much fun!
I do have my collection of rubberstamps too ;)

oh and the way im doing too, I dont cut into any new paper until I finish my scraps too. Its helped me alot to save on paper. Im surprised on how many cards you can really do with scraps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2009, 05:43 AM   #272  
Matboard Maniac

I didn't think I had any tips to add, but the most recent posts about making good use of all our paper, scraps and all, made me think of an ATC I have recently made.

I stamped the parachute for this card on the cover of a Time magazine. It showed a full-face view of a tiger. I stamped the parachute on the bridge of the tiger's nose. Look close. You can see the hairs.

I intend to keep my eye out for interesting colors and patterns on other magazines. Particularly, I am on the lookout for a deep scarlet red that I can use for stamping poinsettias for Christmas cards. So look at those old magazine covers with a making use of the paper in mind.

Here is the parachuting kitty, I hope. I have trouble attaching things. If this does not work, you can also see the parachuting kitty in my gallery.
Attached Thumbnails
Tips to save $$$$ when stamping-parachute_001_by_carmellia%5B1%5D.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2009, 07:29 AM   #273  
Polyshrink Goddess

I save the clear acetate packaging from things like Cuttlebug folders, Cricut Carts, etc instead of buying it for shaker cards. I have also found that lots of kids toys have this plastic.

I skipped several pages so maybe this has already been posted - but -- cereal boxes can be used as chipboard and/or cut in the Big Shot.

I made my own 3-ring binder with magnetic strips for my nesties.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2009, 10:23 PM   #274  
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Skype™ to nadine529
Red face

[quote=Ruth Schow;14235088]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suez1030View Post

YES!!! Link PLEASE!!!!! Their site is HUGE>>>!!! And their search box kinda sucks.....
Dot2dot can't come to the phone right now, she's um...indisposed...

This thread is very, very old. It is quite possible that ATRS no longer carries blank pads, sorry!

C'est moi, c'est tout.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2009, 01:19 AM   #275  
Glitter Guru

My tip for using cardstock, I always cut my 8 1/2 x 11 in half. I put one half in a container for card bases and use the other half for mats, punches, Cricut cuts, etc. I have a seperate container for scrap pieces large enough for a mat. Anything smaller, I punch right away with one of my SU! Scallop punches if it is dark cs and an oval, circle or square punch if it is light colored cs. I throw the unuasable bits in the recycle bin. I also punch the leftover cardstock from my Cricut cuts. It is rarely usable for anything else. When I have built up a stash of punched shapes, I donate colors I probably won't use to my daughter's school's art department. They love to see me coming!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 06:05 PM   #276  
Crimping Master

subbing for knowledge
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 10:04 PM   #277  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

What an awesome thread!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2010, 01:00 PM   #278  
Cardstock Collector

Default viking codes

I've noticed that Viking.com is back...does anyone have a code for envelopes??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2010, 01:45 PM   #279  
Rubber Obsessor

I use the 3 inch wide double-sided carpet tape when I make boxes or notepads. I also use it if I am making a card that I know won't be saved since it is not acid-free. You get a HUGE roll for like $4 - a great deal and it lasts forever. It really comes in handy for gift tags, and if I'm making special packaging for little treats for the kids to take to school.
Reply With Quote Likes