Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-06-2005, 02:06 PM   #1  
A LOST 4400

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Today on Oprah--Hoarding

Man did this hit home with me!!!! I sit here in my combo stamping room/extra tv room/former (now enclosed) patio and wonder what all do I actually have?
I have a major paper fetish and don't even know what all patterned paper I have. I have lots of stamp sets (lots of retired but don't seem to want to part with them) and ink pads and just lots of stamping and crafting stuff!!!
Our house is not big and is not messy at all, but I seem to be a "stuff collector" as stated in my profile.
Do any of you all have this issue too? Have you done anything about it? It really seems to be limited to my craft stuff. I get great joy in passing on the clothes that my kids have outgrown and my clothes that I have outgrown (dang it!) but have an issue with the craft stuff and knick knacks.
Jackie G. (aka Jacquita) SCSmember #656

Write your sorrows in sand and your blessings in stone.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2005, 02:38 PM   #2  
Watercolor Wizard

Jackie-

I feel your pain girl. If you were to visit my house you would not see much in the upstairs (still looking for furniture) but go down to my basement (i know we are a very backwards people- but in my defense this is where we hang out so it took presedence over the formal living room) anyway. everywhere you look there is something to see. A quilt on the wall a picture on the quilt, on the side old (really old) laddlers with rungs and chaps on the quilt. old wooden toddler bed headboards painted one painted red and one painted midnight blue with quilts on them and little pic inside the middle a pic inbetween. one the entertainment center are angels,an old german baby sled with wooden shelves that are loaded with teapots angels and junk, old suitcases a rooster, old shoes from the 40's more angels greenery,old signs,hanging to the back and on the side is an old washboard, pics, and more of the same, on the fireplace is more of the same. and in the room are 2 large sofas, a recliner that doesn't look like a recliner (my pet peeve) 2 end tables that will be painted checkerboard style, and a square coffee table. in the corners i have sleds that have pieces of wood for shelves to hold more of the same. And greenery galore. endtables are accented nicely but you can set a drink down or even a plate.
(and that's only one corner of the basement-the rest of the house is much the same but i like the way it looks. To me it is not cluttered it is decorated)

Anyway my point being yes i am a horder. I am still buying and collecting things. my dh always comments "What? are you gonna make another corner for that." See that's the thing if i can make a corner for it, then in my mind i can have it.
As for my decorating style if you came to our house and didn't know us you would probably think i was a granny. I love doily's so they are an accent everywhere to. And lace gotta have the lace.

So- if it doesn't affect the way you live and is not putting you at risk for injury and you enjoy whatever it is you horde-then honey horde it to your hearts content. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2005, 03:07 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

At least you don't have 31 cats! :o That was just gross!

V
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2005, 03:08 PM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

I don't think it was the things she had, so much as the horrible filth she was living in. I mean, how she is living isn't healthy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2005, 03:09 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

I grew up with a mother who was a hoarder. I had no friends in high school because I was absolutely terrified that one day they would show up at my house. Years later after I was married and moved out I tried cleaning my mom's kitchen while she was away. That was about 15 years ago and she still has not forgiven me. She swears I threw things out but they were all in clearly labeled boxes in the basement. My dad had his recliner that he sat in from the minute he got home till the minute he went to bed, even taking his meals there. It has a tunnel in front of it so he could see the tv. There was one chair for my mother to sit in. All the other chairs and sofa were piled high with papers and crap.

I have a slight tendency to accumulate too much stuff. Every once in a while I go through and get rid of stuff and the house still looks ok for company but I'd like to see it less full. Even so, I know I have way more than I really need. I think I own every kitchen gadget or appliance that was ever invented. ;-) I have too many emotional items.. a buffet full of dishes from Grandma that I almost never use but won't part with and a pile of handmade afghans that DH's grandma made for example. Watching Oprah made me think of my craft room. I think I have a hoarding problem in this area so I am now resolved to start using more and not buy new until I can see a dent in it. I don't want to end up like my mother.

Last edited by longtimestamper; 05-06-2005 at 03:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2005, 03:33 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

I didn't get to see Oprah today because I was going around town to rummage sales! LOL! Anyway, about two months ago I moved my craft room from the main floor to an upstairs floor. I knew I had a lot of "supplies", but it didn't really hit home until I had to move them all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2005, 03:40 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

I, too, am a hoarder. Shoes. Purses. Pretty clothes for the kids and for me. Dishes. Table linens. Pretty baubles for my ears, neck, wrists, ankles. . . fake/real, it doesn't matter. My mom is a hoarder, too, and her mother, and her mother, and probably my great-great grandma, too. Ugh!

And don't get me started with my cardstock, ink, paper. . . and ribbons, accessories, making memories stuff.

I have issues, yes I do! But at least it's mostly organized, LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2005, 03:41 PM   #8  
The Digi-Freak

You have stuff, but you do it with class Jackie! I've been to your house and it is NOT freakish!

I looooove your crosses!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2005, 04:43 PM   #9  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

My DH is kind of a horder. I'm only a horder when it comes to stamps.
Most of our basement is filled with his stuff. Comics mostly.
Michelle Laycock ~ #499 ~
Laycock Designs
Product Designer for Our Daily Bread designs , North Coast Creations and Partner Companies
"They're only crayons. You didn't fear them in kindergarten, why fear them now?" ~ Hugh MacLeod
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2005, 04:50 PM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Fun times! I sat there with dh and said...that's our house! Only HE's the hoarder (if you don't count stampin stuff and Longaberger!)

I had to laugh when the husband said his wife almost died when he gave some of her stuff to charity - I gave his 1976 trench coat to my neighbor to give to her church - that was 4 years ago, and he STILL brings it up ("it was still good, I could still use it"). We were watching some movie or TV show from the late 70's recently and he points to the TV and shouts - "there - that's my coat!"

Arrrgh! I told him we're clean sweeping our bedroom and my stamp room tomorrow. If I get really brave, I'll post before/after pictures! Then you can all feel so much better about yourselves!

<--Wishing I was cruising (Caribbean Princess, May 2010)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2005, 04:53 PM   #11  
A LOST 4400

Thanks, mamak!!! I do love my cross collection!

Jenn--if you are reading this thread--if you like baubles (fake but way awesome) I have heard there is going to be a place called Sam Moon Trading Co. opening in San Antonio (if not already there). I tell you the devil lives there!! Earrings, bracelets, necklaces, scarves, etc. not to mention PURSES!!
We have two locations here in the DFW metroplex--awesome gift stuff. If you are going to hoard, do it right!!!
Jackie G. (aka Jacquita) SCSmember #656

Write your sorrows in sand and your blessings in stone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2005, 05:04 PM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Hi............

My name is Mindy..................

and I'm a Hoarder.........................

I learned from the best.........................

my mom.

You should see my parents house. My dad was born in the old farmhouse and his crib is probably still up in the attic. At least the main floor is reasonably clean, its the upstairs that gets freakish. THey are remodeling right now and have added on to the downstairs, we will have to move everything downstairs so they can put new carpet and paint the upstairs so called bedrooms...................be afraid be very afraid.

Mindy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2005, 05:08 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

It was 81 cats and 6 dogs! Talk about a smelly house!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2005, 05:21 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackie G

Jenn--if you are reading this thread--if you like baubles (fake but way awesome) I have heard there is going to be a place called Sam Moon Trading Co. opening in San Antonio (if not already there). I tell you the devil lives there!! Earrings, bracelets, necklaces, scarves, etc. not to mention PURSES!!
We have two locations here in the DFW metroplex--awesome gift stuff. If you are going to hoard, do it right!!!
Sam Moon is legendary! I've mentioned before that I am a Sweet Potato Queen. They often have gatherings around the country and Dallas is one of the places where they meet. My sock monkey, Jolie, went to visit Auntie Babs and came back with a brooch the size of Texas! Well, it was the shape of Texas... lol In rhinestones. My monkeys are better dressed than I am! lol

Oh... and I'm not hijacking the thread... I too am a hoarder, but I learned this wonderful lifestyle from my father. The dear man cannot throw away anything. Now that my mother is confined with Alzheimer's, I'm so afraid of what his house looks like! YIKES!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2005, 05:22 PM   #15  
Gabfest Goddess

I'd be dead just walking into that place...I could feel my chest tightening up just watching it!

<--Wishing I was cruising (Caribbean Princess, May 2010)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2005, 07:58 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackie G

Crap. I have heard of Sam moon. Oh. Crap. I will *try* to leave some there when I go. Seriously, I LOVE that stuff. I buy & buy, and have only *just* started wearing the fun stuff I've been hoarding. My mom wears rings on all her fingers, and bracelets galore. I can only wear my wedding ring & my 3 stone diamond ring on my fingers. But the rest of me is fair game. Jackie - I HAFTA see if they are open. I need some sparklies for convention!!!

Now, to get Beate in there. Girlfriend needs some accessories!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2005, 07:59 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

SPRING 2006??? No WAY!!! Okay, I will go to Sam Moon when we are in Dallas in August. Oooooh I can't wait!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2005, 08:15 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am not a hoarder, but I married one! DH and his ENTIRE family (four sibs, Mom, Dad, nieces.. but strangely not nephews..hmmm) ALL hoard at least a few things. It's insane. I didn't see Oprah today, but I'm pretty sure one of them should have been on it. My oldest SIL (55) has a house full of stuff. Mint in box. Like, when I say "full" I mean, she has to go to her Mom's next door to eat because she can't even walk through her kitchen for all of the boxes and bags piled there. It's insane. MIL is a collector too. When I met DH, Beanie Babies were popular. She has 3-5 of ALL OF THEM. When they had the McDonalds beanies, they would go to McD's ALL DAY over and over and over to sit in line and get beanies. Of course, you had to buy them with happy meals. Literally 30 happy meals a day. THEN, they would come home and pour all of the fries in one ziploc, all the burgers in another and FREEZE THEM for another day!! OMG. It's insane. I'm not kidding!

Our attic is full of "stuff" DH has collected (or his Mom for him) through the years. I am FINALLY able to convince him that we need to get rid of it. I'm selling it all off on Ebay and doing well with it... but MAN is there a lot of stuff up there!

Thanks for letting me vent. This is only a fraction of it. I could have gone on forever!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2005, 10:25 PM   #19  
Forum Fanatic

I used to be a hoarder, but now I am a "recovering" hoarder. I could chalk it up to having to move a lot once I hit university, but even when I had to move every 8 months, I had an obscene amount of stuff. I think what got me to transition from "needing" all of this stuff I had, and stuff I saw in Home Outfitters, etc., to just being plain TIRED of _stuff_ is that I became happy with who I am, where I am, and where I'm going in life. I no longer need every other candlestick I see to feel like my home is a cosy and safe haven to retreat to; I think I used to think that having more stuff between me and my insecurities would keep them at bay.

I've been pretty proud of myself the past several times I've gone into Michaels and housewares stores because I didn't have to work hard at controlling urges to buy. I wasn't even all that interested in looking around too long, which is a big switch from how I used to be. I used to love getting new scrapbooking papers often, but since I've filled up my existing paper storage (my two Generations accordian files are filled almost to bursting!), I've imposed a moratorium and have had absolutely no problems sticking to it. I feel pretty lucky.

I've gone on a little long about this here, but my hoarding and collecting is something that's held me back in a lot of ways, and I've had to do a lot of work to get to this stage. And I agree with one of the above posters that if you are using what you collect, that is not hoarding.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2005, 11:25 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

I prefer to think of myself as a 'collector' roflroflrofl! I got one of those 3-drawer 12" paper things from Walmart tonight, and was astounded to see how much scrapbooking paper I have...and I don't even scrap. It is gorgeous paper, I had a buying fit on QVC during one of their 24 hr craft and scrap marathons. It cracks me up to see that I have a bunch of albums that I don't even know what to do with, but if I ever figure it out I am set. I am bad about makeup, craft items, paperpaperpaper, stamps, and don't even get me started on buttons. I have dolls, major Barbies, teddy bears, stuffed cats holy crap I can't be let near a BuildaBear store. I have 2 feet, there are 7 days in a week and I probably have 50 pr of socks. There are so many pretty ones!
At least I am not alone, and no I don't have dog poop everywhere

Nina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2005, 03:58 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Red face books books books

no one has mentioned flylady.com for help in clutter management but she has helped me I cannot visit Walmart unless I have 3 bags of stuff for the Goodwill bins in front of the store but I can't part with my stacks of books!
I've had 40 years in the same house to collect all this stuff so I figure Goodwill is the route to purge my stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2005, 04:16 PM   #22  
Mad Swapper

I ladies am not a hoarder, I am a collector of fine things. Just because no one else sees there value is no sign I shouldn't keep them. Now I love china, teapots (I have over 100) and all stuff having to do with red hat. I have also been known to keep bits and pieces of things that I don't even know what they belong to. But this only proves that I am aware of the finer things in life and unable to part with them. You can still sit on all my furniture and probably wouldn't even know of my "hoarding" (or as I prefer to call it collecting) if you didn't look in my storage areas.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2005, 06:05 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Although you would not guess from seeing my house, I am a hoarder. Books are my downfall - I have books everywhere! Stamping stuff is coming on strong, too - I have just started stamping in the last six months, and already...(sigh). Christmas decorations are another of my downfalls - I have 8 storage boxes of Christmas stuff - and I don't even put up a tree (I also have two cats, and they LOVE Christmas trees). I also have other holiday decorations - Easter, 4th of July & Halloween. At my office, it's flowers - have to have flowers at work! So, I say whatever you are comfortable with, go for it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2005, 05:21 PM   #24  
Glitter Guru

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I missed this program, but I defintely am a hoarder. I do it with groceries, stamping stuff, etc. You'd think I went through really hard times because I'm always planning for the extreme and hoarding stuff to get me through. Paper is the worst. I probably have 5,000 sheets of various paper - definitely more than I'll probably use in my lifetime. I can't go into the LSS and not buy more paper - does not make sense!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2005, 06:30 PM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

Default Metal Horder Scrap Pages

I had a friend who had a collection of nails and screws her grandfather had started collecting it way back when. There were boxes and barrels full- What was up with that? She finally got rid of it- Sold it for scrap! Emotionally: we had to give her support to let it go when she did it. She was really close to him. A lot of stories attached there. She took pictures and scrapped about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2005, 07:06 PM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

Location: At my front door peering through the sidelight anxiously awaiting a visit from 'Mr. Brown'...

Makes me want to clean my entire upstairs... I'm one but hate it... just don't have time with 2 little ones to sort through all the crap and get rid of it... camping stuff, has to be in a closet because it can't be in the basement or hot attic... kids clothes up to the attic or to ebay or salvantion army? dunno.. maybe next week.... but on the other end, DH has 5, yes, five Jeeps in our property, 3 running and registered, two under temporary garage that my neighbors just LOVE ;) lets see, I can even name them, a 56 CJ5, a 47 CJ2A a 46 CJ2A a 73 Commando and a '00 Wrangler.. geesh.. that surprises me...His hoarding is so bad, I lost MY spot in the garage! but that just means that he gets to shovel out my minivan in the winter! Teehee...

Splitcoast Uploads - 2 Peas Scrapbook Gallery -
Stained Glass - Jeeping
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2005, 09:34 PM   #27  
Glitter Guru

I have to say that it is very hard to be the child of a hoarder, particully the daughter with a mother hoarder. In my case, it was so hard not to have my own space. one example would be my desk, where I was supposed to be able to do my homework, was the home of a box about the size of a refrigerator, stuffed full of other peoples old clothes. I hated having that in my room & eventually covered it with a table cloth - sad to say that it is still in my old room. I had junk everywhere, under my bed, in my closet, on my dressers, stacks of magazines under my useless desk - even in the drawers of the desk - my bed was two twin beds pushed together, however, I could only sleep on one tiny side because the rest was covered with old clothes, linens, etc. One of our bathtubs was a storage area...our dishwasher could not be used because it was storage... and sad to say now that my parents are retired it is even worse. I can 't even take my dds to see their grandparents unless we meet at a hotel.
I no longer resent my mother, & I must admit it took many years to realize that her hoarding problems was the main reason why for most of my childhood years that I hated her & living in that house. Now, I feel very sad & sorry for both of my parents & have offered to help, by taking my minivan & just loading it up & taking it to the dump, but my mother insists that she must go thru every last d**n thing herself. I worry that she will get hurt, but she just can't let go, although she admits that she has a problem...she can't even let go of my brothers or my childhood clothes...she can't even leave the empty yogart containers at the hotel...

So, I guess all I wanted to really say is that if you are young & can still control any hoarding tendancies, please try - it's almost impossible as you get older & your family life will be a lot less stressful...especially if they aren't hoarders...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2005, 11:06 PM   #28  
Glitter Queen

I didn't see the show but dang it my hubby did.....Then he proceeded(Spell?) to tell me I have a real problem. I know i do, I just didn't think he knew! I haven't showed him my stamps and Paper, or quilt books, and fabric! it's sick! I'm not out of control ....yet. Probably in denial. Some day I'll need it! really!!!
Hang on to it if it makes you happy! If it's overwhelming let it go. (I really need to learn to spell!)
Lara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2005, 11:19 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Guilty as charged.

And I know where I got it too. My mother also.

Is this a woman thing? A generation thing?

I have gone through several phases of hoarding (or like someone said, "collecting") different things. Of course now I'm into the stamps and all the accessories. Punches. Inks. Eylets. Snaps. Ribbon. Ugh.

Before that I was into "collecting" (hoarding) beads, with the intention of starting that hobby. It never happened because stamping started first, and beat beading to the punch.

Don't even get me started about Christmas decorations and lights. OMG.

STickers.

Paper.

Pens.

Where does it end?

I need therapy. Badly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2005, 03:12 AM   #30  
Gallery Gazer

We live in a log home in which I have a total of TWO closets! One for our clothes and one in a spare bedroom, which currents houses my vacuum, office supplies, and bed linens. I refuse to have things stacked up all over the house and items hidden in places where I cannot find them. When we moved I purged quite a bit and sold a lot on ebay. Currently, I FORCE myself to trade or sell stamp sets and supplies when I know that I will no longer use them. (Don't get me wrong...there are things I won't let go of!!!) It is difficult but necessary.

I come from a hording family and have to be careful not to follow my natural family tendencies. (Not so bad during my childroom...moreso after my parents retired.) I think growing up in a household where things were "collected" has made me more observant of what I keep. I will not throw away items of value or cherished momentos...just the crap I should have never wasted my money on in the first place. I am also getting better about walking out of a store with NOTHING in hand.

I try to remember that an uncluttered life is the way to an uncluttered soul. It's not what you have in your closet it is how you live your life.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2005, 04:55 AM   #31  
Inking Addict

Cool yikes!

I saw the hoarding episode when it aired earlier in the year. My mom is also a hoarder, however she isn't nearly as bad as the people on Oprah. When I was a kid she would go to garage sales & feel guilty if she didn't buy at least ONE thing, so she would come home with someone elses piece of .05 crap! Used to infuriate me, now I have pretty much accepted it. When they go (pass on) I am setting fire to their home rather than go through all their junk. Five years ago I cleaned my moms kitchen cabinets out & found a paycheck stub of my dads from 1976-the year my brother was born!!! When I go to visit I always wind up cleaning her dining room table of because it has so much clutter-spoons, mail, rubber bands, empty pill bottles, sugar packets of every kind etc.she never throws anything away! I on the other hand am the opposite. I don't keep hardly anything which is why scrapbooking is a foriegn idea to me. Who keeps ticket stubs & stuff like that? sheesh. We moved in November & the first thing I did before packing was do a clean sweep of our house-if we didn't wear it, use it or decorate with it I got rid of it. I made enough money at our garage sale to pay for all of the paint for the new house & all of the rollers, brushes, etc. Now, I have a completely clean slate & am thrilled!!! I can't deny though that I'm always looking for things to toss out.
Thanks for listening ladies!

Jenjo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2005, 11:16 AM   #32  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinsweeney
I try to remember that an uncluttered life is the way to an uncluttered soul. It's not what you have in your closet it is how you live your life.
This reminds me of my bro and his wife's motto: "Live right, travel light." They are masters of uncluttering, and can (and have) store all of their possessions in a single storage unit. It works for them well enough, but I find that I have to allow myself to keep *some* stuff in order to be able to let go of any of it. When we were preparing for our mondo first yard sale, I started out with the mindset of trying to get rid of everything that wasn't 100% practical, and I was just about paralysed with the pressure I put on myself. I aspire to ultra-minimalism, but I'm happy to take baby steps to get there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2005, 01:53 PM   #33  
Insane Embellisher

Default I am a hoarder, yes I am

..but I have given myself permission to be one. My house is not cluttered, it is always neat and clean, but my studio, ah, that is another thing. I collect everything cardmaking and stamping and scrapbooking. If it's new, I want it. If I want it I usually get it. But I can rationalize the purchases I make because I do use the stuff. When I first started paper crafts 3 years ago, I would buy paper and then not use it because it was too nice. Lately, I have been going through my stash and actually cutting up that "good" paper. And I am loving the things I am creating with the paper and embellishments I was saving. What was I saving them for?
I also do save ticket stubs and cards and things. When I was a teenager, I did something my mother did not approve of and she threw out all my stuff!!!!
I have NO baby pictures save for my 1st birthday one, no school pictures, no nothing. I made up my mind that the things from the rest of my life would be cherished, so I save stuff and I'm proud of it!

sorry this was a little long, this was a good thread.
Reply With Quote Likes