Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-21-2006, 06:33 PM   #41  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always preferred TAC because the prices are so reasonable.When SU started, they advertised that they were cheap because you had to do your own assembling.Now you still assemble but the prices are outrageous and you cannot get them on sale like Penny Black, Hero ARts, etc. Due to the price and the wonderful variety of sets (much more masculine choice too) and their wonderful papers, I would go TAC. I also like that they just seem less greedy.Minimums are less and free goodies are more. I think my friends, who are not rich, would appreciate getting real deals. Also I just hate the idea of killing so many trees for SU sets.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2006, 07:18 PM   #42  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniart
Also I just hate the idea of killing so many trees for SU sets.
Sorry to hijack for a sec, but I just had to offer a word of encouragement! Take heart! Consumer wood products, like SU's wood blocks, are made from wood from tree farms - planted to be harvested just like tons of other products we consume daily. Wood is a renewable resource. Burning the oil to drive to the local craft store is worse for the environment ;)
I don't mean to be argumentative; I'm sure TAC is a great company too. But since I represent SU I felt compelled to respond, like if someone called my baby ugly;)

It's great that you are getting feedback from many people to help you make such an important life decision. So choose the company YOU like the best, guilt-free
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2006, 07:38 PM   #43  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniart
I have always preferred TAC because the prices are so reasonable.When SU started, they advertised that they were cheap because you had to do your own assembling.Now you still assemble but the prices are outrageous and you cannot get them on sale like Penny Black, Hero ARts, etc. Due to the price and the wonderful variety of sets (much more masculine choice too) and their wonderful papers, I would go TAC. I also like that they just seem less greedy.Minimums are less and free goodies are more. I think my friends, who are not rich, would appreciate getting real deals. Also I just hate the idea of killing so many trees for SU sets.

I think we can all give our opinions without putting the other companies down. I do not think it is okay to call a company "greedy" that so many of us our demos for. As far as the trees go, what do you think paper is made from? We all carry paper as well.

Robyn
SU demonstrator since 2001

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2006, 07:39 PM   #44  
Gabfest Goddess

Oops!! I meant "are"!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2006, 08:01 PM   #45  
Stazon Splitcoast

Another thing to weigh...

TAC has lower minimums but the lower set price means you have to sell more. SU set prices are higher (although still a great bargain compared to stamp stores), but there is a higher minimum.

In short, it's hard to compare $ figures for one aspect (like minimums or % instant income) without figuring in other factors (such as average set price).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2006, 08:15 PM   #46  
Crimping Master

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think one of the most important factors to consider is the support you get from the company & from other demos! I've been a SU! hobby demo for 5 years...the support is GREAT weather your in it for a hobby or a business.
I love that I can call demonstrator support and they are SO FRIENDLY and always answer my questions...even when they're silly. I also love the support from other Demos. I live in the Minneapolis area and sure there are a lot of demos here...but that is to my advantage. I have a great network of demos friends who are always willing to borrow me stamps, cardstock, ink, or whatever I may need at the last minute. We like to get together and share business ideas and share techniques. I've made a lot of great friends through SU!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2006, 08:17 PM   #47  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by srogers5

TAC has lower minimums but the lower set price means you have to sell more. SU set prices are higher (although still a great bargain compared to stamp stores), but there is a higher minimum.

In short, it's hard to compare $ figures for one aspect (like minimums or % instant income) without figuring in other factors (such as average set price).
Good points Sharon, I have never thought of it this way. :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2006, 09:36 PM   #48  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Great Point!

Things to ask ANY upline that you are signing under, for ANY DS or MLM company
:
-What is your AVERAGE party/worshop total?
-Who is your Upline and what does she provide to you?
-What do you provide for your Downline?
-How often would we meet as a team/group... how often would we meet 1 on 1?
-What incentives do you, your upline or company offer?
-Does your company offer local training seminars and National Convention Trainings?
-How will you help Train me?
-How does your company help train me?
-What does the company do to help market ME the demo? Are national advertising campaigns created? Where do they market?
-Is there support for me to have a website? What are the costs associated with this?
-What are my required personal minimums? Are personal purchases included in the minimums?
-What is my personal discount...and does this vary from the INCOME I make off customer orders?
-What is the Minimum I can earn, and the Maximum? What do I need to do to acheive the maximum income?
-Are there aditional incentives to income? Points or incentives earned to get free supplies and products? Cruises or cars?
-How much do supplies cost? Can I earn FREE supplies?
-What is IN the starter kit? What ELSE will I need to start my business?
-Is there an incentive for joining?
-Is there an incentive program for NEW associates?
-Are there ways in which I am NOT allowed to promote products?
-How much do YOU earn off my sales? How much will I earn off the sales of my downline?
-How many levels deep of downline can I earn $ off of?
-What do I need to sell in order to earn money off my downline at each level?

These are just off the top of my head. Also I would say you need to LIKE your upline PERSONALLY... what ever company you are with!

Good luck!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2006, 09:46 PM   #49  
Stazon Splitcoast

I luv being a TAC demonstator or hobbiest. More stamps and less room to store them.
Pearl
Angel #2689
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2006, 02:11 AM   #50  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I love being a SU demo and love the "demo" side of SCS!! That is such an excellent source for information and ideas!! We share many many ideas in there and if you get stumped on something someone will help you out on the same day. Our Customer service is excellent too at SU!! I wasn't "thrilled" about the TAC stamps but do like maybe 3 or 4 in the book. I do like their papers though so I may be ordering them to see how they "stand up" to SU's papers!
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2006, 04:19 AM   #51  
Rubber Obsessor

I also love Stampin Up. The suport is awesome. When I was in NY near my upline she held meetings every quarter. I met lots of other demos and learned A lot from them. It impressed me how everyone was so willing to share their ideas. When I moved I posted on the demo site to find A group of demos here and quickly found one. I have to also agree with others here that the domo side here rocks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2006, 04:59 AM   #52  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last year before I signed up as a SU demo, I looked at both companies. For me, it came down to personal preference. I much prefer wood mounted stamps (especially unmounted so I can mount them the way I want and not the way the company wants them). While I like the acrylic block in that I can see where the image is, I hate having to mount and unmount every time I want to use the stamp. I like the ease and quickness of just grabbing my wood mounted stamp and stamping. The quota for SU is higher, but I always find enough in the catty each year to come up with a wish list that far exceeds the yearly quota. With TAC, I always find a handful of stamps and supplies I want, but not enough to support myself if I had to. Overall, I just prefer the SU style and love all the coordinating papers, inks, markers, etc. It's just easier for me to use the SU stuff since everything goes well together - takes the guesswork out of it for me. With TAC, I had to think about it more than I cared to when coordinating colors and such. I went with the company who's products I prefered. There's more in the current TAC catty that I like compared to other years, but overall, I still felt like I would be really trying to come up with enough to keep myself active if I had to do it by myself with TAC. With SU, my wishlist is once again easily way more than my yearly quota.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2006, 05:51 AM   #53  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

That isn't necessarily true though. Yes - you do have to factor in the set price along with the minimum but you don't have to 'sell more' with TAC to meet your minimums. The average sales amount for TAC is $25 per month and with SU! it is $100 per month. TAC sets do range from $5.95-$19.95 (aside from a few of th HUGE alphabet sets which are $39.95).

All in all - even if you factor in the price of the stamp set - you are really only having to sell 2 stamp sets (based on average set price) per month with TAC to meet the $25 per month minimums. I was spending that much myself in a Hostess buying group each month! Which is why I chose to be an Angel. I was not taking any additional money out of my budget, where as with SU! I was not able to manage the $100 a month on my family budget. Granted I am not strictly a hobbyist with TAC but I know that if my schedule changes and workshops become impossible, I will be able to attain the $25 a month on my budget (plus get $7.50 of that back in commission).

I love both companies - but I found that for ME only having to spend $25 a month was easier than spending $100 a month. And that's as a hobbyist. As an active selling demonstrator I know that I only need 1 person to buy from me a month to keep me active.

But, honestly, it really doesn't matter what we think. You need to base the decision on what you want from demonstrating. Are you going to be strictly a hobbyist that is responsible for fulfilling the minimums on your own? Then you need to factor in your budget. Are you going to try and build a business? Then show your stamping friends/customers both catalogues and see what they prefer. Do you like one company more than the other? Then go with that one.

I have learned that in the stamping world it is not 'this one is better than the other' rather 'which one fits better in your life and make you smile?'. I often laugh when I hear discussions between different company demonstrators or customers. It reminds me of "My dad could beat up your dad" argument that used to take place on the playground. If you love what you stamp with, then by gosh do it! I love stamps....yes - I demonstrate for TAC and love it but does that mean I think there is no other comparison on the market? No! Heck - I am a design team member for 2 stamping companies other than TAC. I buy from other companies too! (Can't wait for GinaK Designs to hit the market!!!)

SO - go with the company that you love the most. Put the 'facts' down on paper and look at those. Weigh your options, figure what fits into your life and then look at it again! I always tell people that they should never sign up for a company if they have any qualms. Make sure that this is what you want and then sign on the dotted line.

But hey - that's me ;-)
Jana ~Angel #1251~ Manager with The Angel Company and List Mom for TAC Addicted
http://jana.ismyangel.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2006, 05:52 AM   #54  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

For me it's all about art and color. 48 colors in ink, markers, card stock, eyelets, brads etc. It's a no brainer. With SU I can sit down and turn out a spectacular card that looks professional all because the company did the leg work. SU has inspired my daughter to be a Graphic Designer in college and has set our creative souls free. Also LOVE the SU demos I have met and the demo forum for us to share.
Hope you make a decision that fits you and makes you a happy stamper!
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2006, 07:55 AM   #55  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow...EXCELLENT posts, you guys, ALL of them! Sarah, fantastic list of questions -- that really helps with making a logical comparison between companies. Jana, you took the words right out of my mouth (well, as far as how to choose a company, lol!).

Bottom line? You are not signing away your first born here. If you pick one company and find in a few months that you're not happy, no big deal! You just stop demoing for them, and switch to another company. I think all of the companies give good value for the demo kits that you purchase, so you're not really out good money there.

So go with whatever company looks like the most fun for you, and don't worry about whether it's a match made in heaven. As you can tell from all these posts, lol, WHATEVER company you go with, you'll have playmates up the yingyang here at SCS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2006, 10:19 AM   #56  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by jana_angel_1251
The average sales amount for TAC is $25 per month and with SU! it is $100 per month.
Sorry... I hate to go back and forth on this BUT this just isn't acurate.. and I think you meant to say "minimums" not "average". SU reports that the average workshop is $300 a month and the average demo hosts 3 workshops a month. This is from the most curent reported statistcs in On Stage Magazine (a stamping up recognition quarterly). I am sure TAC's AVERAGES are also higher than this... perhaps Jana knows.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2006, 11:45 AM   #57  
Matboard Maniac

Default average monthly sales minimum (to stay active)

I apologize....where's the edit button?! LOL!

I meant to say that the average monthly sales minimum for TAC is $25 and the average monthly minimum for SU! is $100 - meaning that if you look at the minimums to sell broken down on a monthly basis. So if you were to look at how much you needed to sell (or buy) each month to stay active then it is $25 for TAC and $100 for SU!

I won't venture to guess what the average workshop amount for TAC is because the average workshop amount is so different based on where you live and the economic standing of that community. What might be 'average' for some is an amount that might not be attainable if the demonstrator lives in an econimically depressed area and vice versa. I wouldn't want to make an estimate of what the WORKSHOP average is because I can only speak from my experience.

Sorry for any confusion!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2006, 11:57 AM   #58  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I apologize....where's the edit button?! LOL!

I meant to say that the average monthly sales minimum for TAC is $25 and the average monthly minimum for SU! is $100 - meaning that if you look at the minimums to sell broken down on a monthly basis. So if you were to look at how much you needed to sell (or buy) each month to stay active then it is $25 for TAC and $100 for SU!

I won't venture to guess what the average workshop amount for TAC is because the average workshop amount is so different based on where you live and the economic standing of that community. What might be 'average' for some is an amount that might not be attainable if the demonstrator lives in an econimically depressed area and vice versa. I wouldn't want to make an estimate of what the WORKSHOP average is because I can only speak from my experience.

Sorry for any confusion!
Shouldn't this number be $33.33 as $100 divided by three months in a quarter is $33.33:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2006, 01:16 PM   #59  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv my dolly
Shouldn't this number be $33.33 as $100 divided by three months in a quarter is $33.33:p
Nope :-)

TAC is $100 in a FOUR month period - not a quarter (3 months) like SU! and CTMH. So it would be $100 divided by four months to equal $25. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2006, 03:38 PM   #60  
Mad Swapper

Thanks everyone for being so professional and helping layout the differences between these two companies and their requirements for their demos. You see, it really isn't one AGAINST the other when you are making this type of decision. I simply didn't know about all the other stamping companies when I picked SU! I just LOVED their stamps from seeing them in all the Take Ten and other magazines. So, I found out how to join. Pick the stamps that really make you happy and it will all work out for YOU! :0

Good luck.

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/wynona
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2006, 04:49 PM   #61  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Challenge Hostess

This is My Story.

I don't have anything to offer except that I just briefly read through this thread and boy, did you ever get some feedback. I betcha you'll still have a hard time making up your mind, but now you are definately educated to make a good decision! Whew!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2006, 04:28 PM   #62  
Stampin' Fool

Has anyone mentioned that you make a higher percentage with TAC??? Also, their Angel Policy is great! I can sell my cards to stores and online without it being a problem
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2006, 07:26 PM   #63  
Rubber Obsessor

Default DELETE - I'm SU ALL THE WAY NOW!

Got my demo goodies today, and I'm thrilled!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2006, 07:39 PM   #64  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hey! Congratulations! Now, have you signed up for the demo forums? I'll be looking for ya...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2006, 09:45 PM   #65  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by nkjohnston
Got my demo goodies today, and I'm thrilled!
yay! enjoy!

We will see you in the Demo forums!

Happy Stampin'!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2006, 05:37 AM   #66  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by staramaze
Great Point!
Things to ask ANY upline that you are signing under, for ANY DS or MLM company
:-What is your AVERAGE party/worshop total?
-Who is your Upline and what does she provide to you?
-What do you provide for your Downline?
-How often would we meet as a team/group... how often would we meet 1 on 1?
-What incentives do you, your upline or company offer?
-Does your company offer local training seminars and National Convention Trainings?
-How will you help Train me?
-How does your company help train me?
-What does the company do to help market ME the demo? Are national advertising campaigns created? Where do they market?
-Is there support for me to have a website? What are the costs associated with this?
-What are my required personal minimums? Are personal purchases included in the minimums?
-What is my personal discount...and does this vary from the INCOME I make off customer orders?
-What is the Minimum I can earn, and the Maximum? What do I need to do to acheive the maximum income?
-Are there aditional incentives to income? Points or incentives earned to get free supplies and products? Cruises or cars?
-How much do supplies cost? Can I earn FREE supplies?
-What is IN the starter kit? What ELSE will I need to start my business?
-Is there an incentive for joining?
-Is there an incentive program for NEW associates?
-Are there ways in which I am NOT allowed to promote products?
-How much do YOU earn off my sales? How much will I earn off the sales of my downline?
-How many levels deep of downline can I earn $ off of?
-What do I need to sell in order to earn money off my downline at each level?

These are just off the top of my head. Also I would say you need to LIKE your upline PERSONALLY... what ever company you are with!

Good luck!
Thanks for posting these questions. While I AM a demo, these are all questions that I should have the answer to in the event someone asks ME! :-D

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2006, 05:57 AM   #67  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I know the issue has been resolved (welcome to SU! You'll adore it!) but I just wanteds to add that if I had known how INCREDIBLE the demo side of SCS was, I'd have signed up YEARS ago!!! : ) That is one perk that you don't hear about in the literature, but it's priceless.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2006, 06:28 AM   #68  
Die Cut Diva

I went with SU, I had not used any other and to be honest I just met my first CTMH demo and have never met with a TAC....

My suggestion is to find all the pros and cons of both and decide which you like better and are happier with
I dont know much about TAC ( sorry )
Think about
which products you are happier with
how often products change ( you always want to be able to offer ne things so customers and your self do not get bored with them)
the colors you prefer
the quality of materials
the types of stamps and designs you like ( which has more of what you like but also keep in mind things change no matter where you go)
hobby demo or making it a business
quotas you have to meet
cost of your starter kit ( it is around $200 for SU depending on if you add the memories kit or not it could be more, but you can change a lot of the stuff in your kit - equal or lesser value on a stamp you like or dont like)
costs of supplies
how much product do you get when you order
your income off of every order
incentives/discounts ( i know SU offers a cruise , but you have to work for it,)
free stuff for demos ( rewards for sales )
over ride money at the end of a month
what happens if someone signs up for your downline
Is there a new demo promotion going on ( I know in US SU has a promotion but I cant think of it at the moment - i think it is a stampset with sign up)
how many demos are in your area for both companies( what's your " competition")
how about the upline you will have ( this is important because she could be your support line when you need help)

A LOT to think about, and dont be scared off, pick the one you like and are goign to be happier with , maybe even order a small order from TAC to do a comparison of products since you are familiar with SU, you just need to see and touch TAC. Dont let anyone push you toward something you might not be happy with , yes as demo's no matter which company we are all " cheerleaders" about how great our stuff is and our company... but you need to be happy with your decision.
Good luck and have fun.... I loved getting my starter kit, it was like christmas LoL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2006, 06:29 AM   #69  
Die Cut Diva

CONGRATS sorry I missed the post that you signed up... have fun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2006, 09:19 AM   #70  
Matboard Maniac

Congrats and you're going to have a ball!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2006, 10:35 AM   #71  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitterroot_cards
Has anyone mentioned that you make a higher percentage with TAC??? Also, their Angel Policy is great! I can sell my cards to stores and online without it being a problem
Actually you can make a 40% commission with SU. I don't think a lot of people know that. Before the new career plan the most you could make was 32% and now they bumped that up with even lower sales to achieve the top commission.

Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2006, 06:11 PM   #72  
Cardstock Collector

Smile I justed joined TAC

and the reason I picked Tac was because my area has upteen SU demonstrators and NO TAC demos. TAC offered a higher commision and a lower quota The rubber stamps are rubber but not wood mounted (and, ask my husband) I have a storage problem!!!

Dawn

Last edited by camsmom; 08-31-2006 at 06:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2006, 06:31 PM   #73  
Stampin' Fool

Congratulations to both of you. You both will be happy with your choices!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2006, 08:22 PM   #74  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

But, honestly, it really doesn't matter what we think. You need to base the decision on what you want from demonstrating. Are you going to be strictly a hobbyist that is responsible for fulfilling the minimums on your own? Then you need to factor in your budget. Are you going to try and build a business? Then show your stamping friends/customers both catalogues and see what they prefer. Do you like one company more than the other? Then go with that one.

I have learned that in the stamping world it is not 'this one is better than the other' rather 'which one fits better in your life and make you smile?'. I often laugh when I hear discussions between different company demonstrators or customers. It reminds me of "My dad could beat up your dad" argument that used to take place on the playground. If you love what you stamp with, then by gosh do it! I love stamps....yes - I demonstrate for TAC and love it but does that mean I think there is no other comparison on the market? No! Heck - I am a design team member for 2 stamping companies other than TAC. I buy from other companies too! (Can't wait for GinaK Designs to hit the market!!!)

SO - go with the company that you love the most. Put the 'facts' down on paper and look at those. Weigh your options, figure what fits into your life and then look at it again! I always tell people that they should never sign up for a company if they have any qualms. Make sure that this is what you want and then sign on the dotted line.

But hey - that's me ;-)
Jana, sweetie!
You are such a doll. When I put together a design team, you'll be getting some free stamparoonis!
I am always impressed with how diplomatic you are regarding this topic. I think that shows such integrity and class.

I always worry when some innocent stamper asks this question that they will be turned away from a company by the demonstrators who are trying so hard to say 'we're better, choose us' but it comes across the wrong way. I don't think anyone intends to do this, but we all love our companies, you know. The poster who posted about trees and the wood being grown specifically for harvest was funny when she said she felt the need to stand up for her company, like someone had called her baby ugly. LOL. That cracked me up! It's true! She's right!! We do feel that way many times when someone gets a fact wrong or maybe states a commission a little off. We need to clarify it for them.

To the original poster: I like all stamps. I am an equal opportunity stamper. I have exactly 150 SU sets and 150 TAC sets. That's scarey, huh? But I know many of these gals on here and they all feel passionate about their companies. They should. It wouldn't make sense to represent something that you are so-so about. Try to take something out of each comment that is positive and follow Starmaze's check list. You may find out that you really love CTMH the best LOL! Thanks again Jana, for your diplomatic ways and to all of you who took the time to help someone with this hard decision.
OP- I wish you much luck in your decision and huge success with your new venture, where ever that leads you.
Gina K.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2006, 05:59 AM   #75  
Matboard Maniac

awww....Gina - you are too sweet!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2006, 06:07 AM   #76  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

Congrats!! Now go sign up for the Demo only side of SCS... it is sooooooo full of ideas!!
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes