Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-26-2006, 09:16 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transparency advised needed.

I was not lucky enough to get in on the .01� deal at Viking way back when. I didn't even know what everyone was using them for. Now that I am in the "know" (sorta, but I gotta have them any way just in case :mrgreen: ) well, I stopped at Staples to pick up a box and about choked when I saw the price!!! Ooouch! Didn't get them.:( I decided I would "research" to try to find a better deal.

Here is what I found:
http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...type=rv#review

Now for the questions:
Has anyone used this brand?
Can you stamp on them?
I am assuming since they say "color inkjet" they will work with my inkjet printer, but how do they "really" work with the printer?
Anyone know of a better price or a better brand?

Thanks in advance :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2006, 11:00 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm not familiar w/ that brand, but inkjet transparencies have texture on the backside in order to provide a surface for the ink to adhere to. If you are using transparencies for a card, where there is going to be something behind it, or you're going to use glue & reinkers or something where the transparency is filled w/ color you should be fine...BUT if you care going to use the tranparency sheet for the insert in a clear glass ornament, I don't recommend those made for inkjet printers, because you will be able to see the texture on the transparency through the ornament, causing your insert to look smudged, scratched and/or dirty. I also don't recommend using the transparencies that are made to be written on, because they are too flimsy to stand up in an ornament. For the ornaments, I use SU's window sheets. HTH.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2006, 11:23 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Actually, I am not sure what I will be using them for. I just know I gotta have some .:rolleyes: Seriously though, my plan is to use them in memory books, scrapbook albums, and possibly cards. I have acetate for ornaments. I saw some really cute SB pages using transparencies with stamps and some with a printer. Thought I better pick some up, just in case I do get inspired. Even with my vast collection of stamps and supplies, seems I never have "everything" I need when I set down to "create". Maybe I should post my inquiry under the SB forum too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2006, 11:55 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Yep - for scrapbooking and stuff, so long as you understand that you aren't going to be able to print from your inkjet printer on it - and that you will need to use sharpies or stazon to stamp/color with, what you want is the "older" style transparencies that are for writing on with a watersoluble pen, rather than the inkjet version.

You can get 100 sheets at Office Depot for $22.00 ($.22 per sheet) - here's hopefully a link:
http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?...tk=all&An=text

Those are the ones I got and I don't think I'll use them all up in a million years.

GOod luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2006, 12:41 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Peggy- I recently went to buy some too and also died when i saw the price! I got some Trans-It from Judi-Kins at a convention this summer and haven't used it yet because I don't want to pay so much for the transparency sheets
I too have been looking for some cheap and e-bay seems a good place, maybe I'll get some there.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2006, 01:15 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Yes - transparencies are expensive, but they are SO worth it IMO I mainly use the overhead transparencies - they are the least expensive and have worked beautifully for many of the transparency cards on my blog. You can even heat set them, just don't hold your heat gun in one spot for too long or you will "wrinkle" the transparency. My favorite of course is one that is more expensive - it is the laserjet transparency. I love it because I can run it through my laser printer - printing words and then stamping over the top is a LOT of fun. It has such a neat look to it.

Don't forget to try using the new opaque staz-on (white, pink, green, etc.) on them - this looks so awesome!!! You can use souffle pens, alcohol inks, sharpies, glaze pens - soooo many things to make them interesting. I'm teaching my last class using these mediums on Saturday and then I'll try and do a write-up on my blog. I'm not promising anything though based on my life experiences as of late. If I promise something then Murphy's Law steps in and I can't finish it, BUT I'll try - LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2006, 09:09 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

blueyes63 of SCS dated 3-27-05 posted this-I ordered a box of 100 transparencies (like window sheets) from Viking yesterday. By putting in the AL2 code, they came out to $13.88 - - which means a little more than 13 cents each!

The ones without the strip on the side were cheapest - - didn't see any reason for the strip. I can't remember what it said it was for right now.

I use the transparency, inkjet also, so the ink grabs onto the rough side, and let dry for a few minutes. But, I like to add typed "definitions" to my cards; example-
"recovery-the restoration or progressing to complete return of health"
and adhere with brads, or whatever

You can do a whole sheet of repetative definitons and keep for future
get well cards, and cut them out in small two row strips of transparency
with the definition after printing out the phrase.

Hope this is understandable and helps some Carolyn in MN
Reply With Quote Likes