Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-14-2008, 07:01 PM   #41  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't bought anything since Christmas. I am though signing up as a demo probably next month so I will have to buy for at least 2 quarters until I get customers, so I guess that will be my budget, lol.

I should add that my supplies are worth about 4000.00, I am guessing now.

Last edited by Momofoneson; 04-14-2008 at 07:01 PM.. Reason: Add more of course
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 07:02 PM   #42  
Kookie Creator

i cant answer this on the grounds it might incriminate me. and if DH knew there would be heck to pay. just my cricut and 8 cartriges last week set me back a little along with all the cuttle bug stuff i aquired not to mention all the paper i bought and embelishments oh and not to mention the SU order I placed. oh man I need a 12 step program
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 07:02 PM   #43  
Pearl-ExPert

This thread has gotten me thinking: How much do I spend in a year on my hobbies? I stamp, scrapbook, quilt, cross stitch, rug hook, and needle punch. None of that is cheap. On Friday, I ran to a local quilt shop and spent $172 after my 20% discount. I am waiting for 3 internet orders totaling about $100. I have my eye on another cross stitch kit for $35. Not to mention I have to buy fabric for a quilt backing that will run around $30. And that is just in APRIL! Maybe I need to keep track, cut back, and set a better budget. Thankfully I don't spend like that every month (or we'd be living on the streets!!). Like I said, this thread has got me thinking...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 07:34 PM   #44  
Hardware Hotshot

[QUOTE=scrapshappen;9513393]Enough that I worry my home owners policy wouldn't cover my stash of stuff in the event of some kind of disaster. I asked my DH if he thought we should get a rider on our policy for my craft stuff QUOTE]

I have seriously thought of this myself, makes you think about how much you have though when you look at some stamps and think you spent $10 each they can add up fast. I have so many sets and single stamps, scrapbooking items and anything else you can name!

It's in the Cards! My Blog

Pinterest
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 07:39 PM   #45  
Gabfest Goddess

Hmmmmm, including my scrapbooking stuff, I probably spend about $1500-2000 a year. Since I was a career Stampin' Up! demo and bought A LOT of stuff to show my downline & customers, my stash is worth over $20,000 minimum!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 05:53 AM   #46  
Mad Swapper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have said for way too long that I could open my own store.

I suffer from SDA big-time (senseless desire to acquire). Totally addicted to paper, but then every new tool I see, I just have to have. A good example is I just had to buy the new bigger crop-o-dile so I paid full price at Hobby Lobby and haven't even taken it out of the packaging.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 06:39 AM   #47  
Insane Embellisher

I have been scrapping for just over 2 years now, but made cards for years before that, and I am not a demo...I have lots of stuff

My hubby said I have more stuff in my scraproom than one of the stores we went to. I also buy in spurts. One month I may not buy anything, the next month spend lots.

If you consider the weekend crops I go to, the one week away (Virginia Beach this year) and the stores I visit while travelling (DH and I go to the states probably 5 x a year) and the classes I take, and festivals like CKC.....I probably spend between $3,000 - $4,000 a year

I have to have the new stuff even though I haven't used up the "old" stuff

My girlfriend said we need a "patch" for this (like the smoking patch!!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 09:30 AM   #48  
Mad Swapper

enough that my dh "occasionally" says - ooo this is a really expensive hobby. if he really knew...........

keep on trucking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 09:32 AM   #49  
Matboard Maniac

My husband spends the same or more per month on golf but it is not as visible! My parents and siblings shake their heads at all my Stamping supplies but the time and money my husband spends on golf is totally acceptable! I don't care though because my stamps and designer paper make me very, very happy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 09:33 AM   #50  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmaggtView Post
I have said for way too long that I could open my own store.

I suffer from SDA big-time (senseless desire to acquire). Totally addicted to paper, but then every new tool I see, I just have to have. A good example is I just had to buy the new bigger crop-o-dile so I paid full price at Hobby Lobby and haven't even taken it out of the packaging.
there's a name for it (she says with suprise and pleasure for now she knows what she has).!!

keep on trucking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 09:38 AM   #51  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by crafty1021View Post
This thread has gotten me thinking: How much do I spend in a year on my hobbies? I stamp, scrapbook, quilt, cross stitch, rug hook, and needle punch. None of that is cheap. On Friday, I ran to a local quilt shop and spent $172 after my 20% discount. I am waiting for 3 internet orders totaling about $100. I have my eye on another cross stitch kit for $35. Not to mention I have to buy fabric for a quilt backing that will run around $30. And that is just in APRIL! Maybe I need to keep track, cut back, and set a better budget. Thankfully I don't spend like that every month (or we'd be living on the streets!!). Like I said, this thread has got me thinking...
can i ask you a question - because it is something i have a hard time with sometimes (actually lots) and definately no offense meant - do you complete your projects? right now i have 3 quilts going, my stamp projects and thinking of taking a basket making class, a rug that i got the supplies for a long time ago and have forgotton how to use them...i could go on...and on.......and on.

keep on trucking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 09:38 AM   #52  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yikes...I just placed an order at Papertrey for ALL the new stuff plus a few of the releases from the last two months that I missed....it was an ouchie moment...but the box will be fun when it arrives. I use so many of the things I purchase for my soldier project that I dont feel too bad about it. They deserve only the best...Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2008, 10:19 AM   #53  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinwomnView Post
can i ask you a question - because it is something i have a hard time with sometimes (actually lots) and definately no offense meant - do you complete your projects? right now i have 3 quilts going, my stamp projects and thinking of taking a basket making class, a rug that i got the supplies for a long time ago and have forgotton how to use them...i could go on...and on.......and on.
No offense taken! I actually do complete quite a few projects. Not so many the past two years that I have been working on my masters. I graduate this May and am soooo looking forward to the time I will have to spend! Plus, being a teacher means I don't work quite as hard in the summer with summer school only going half the day. Do I complete everything I buy? No but I sure do like buying it!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2008, 10:22 AM   #54  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I don't want to know either! I actually buy things (embellishments) that I am in love with but cannot bear to use--how is that for sick!? So I am a collector too!

On average I would say I spend about $150 a month...GIVE or take. The whole stash---$#!#@#@$ A lot!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2008, 10:41 AM   #55  
Kookie Creator

[QUOTE=AZstampcrazy;9516550]
Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapshappenView Post
Enough that I worry my home owners policy wouldn't cover my stash of stuff in the event of some kind of disaster. I asked my DH if he thought we should get a rider on our policy for my craft stuff QUOTE]

I have seriously thought of this myself, makes you think about how much you have though when you look at some stamps and think you spent $10 each they can add up fast. I have so many sets and single stamps, scrapbooking items and anything else you can name!
I am a SU demo and took out business insurance (last month) since I teach classes out of my home. In talking with my agent, I realized that my since I use my supplies for business they are not covered through our home owners insurance. That said, I covered my "current" supplies on my business insurance and all my retired and "other company" craft items on my homeowners insurance. My agent said that as long as I can prove that these items are not used in my business than my homeowners will cover it and the fact that I have insurance on my business supplies, they are less likely to over question what the supplies are actually used for. This exercise also made me re-evaluate the level of homeowners insurance we have since we have basically redecorated every room in our house since we took out the policy three years ago.

Back to the question ... I spend about $100-$300 per month on supplies...but my SU sales and class fees cover that so I don't have to dip into our family $$.

Just remember, there is a whole community of enablers here that understand your craft addiction - as we are all addicts ourselves...with the execption of a very few!

Visit my Gallary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2008, 11:04 AM   #56  
Pearl-ExPert

My confession. I went through a time period from about April of last year until about January of this year where I didn't buy anything - save a few items from Hobby Lobby. But, once I start buying I find it hard to stop. Since, Jan. I've bought a set of nestabilities, all four sets of copics and LOTS of stamps. I'm getting ready to place an order including the in colors and after that I will be done - hopefully for another year!
http://oolalasparkle.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2008, 11:08 AM   #57  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinwomnView Post
Eventually I complete most of them. I hardley ever start a card and not complete it. But at the same time, I have two cross stitch projects going and a crocheted afghan. And I don't really count the fabric I bought to make some curtains for the house because I haven't started them yet. I actually like having more than one project on the go so that I can switch between them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2008, 11:16 AM   #58  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't really say exactly how much I have spent in the past 3 years, but just as a clue...I just last week, had our household contents insurance DOUBLED. Most months I spend a little over $250...some months less, but I never spend more than I can pay off the next billing cycle.

Do I need this much stuff? No, for goodness sakes, but it is a hobby after all, and what hobby DOESN'T cost $$? There are worse things I could be doing with my $$ but I consider my hobby one that brings joy not only to me, but to those who receive the items I make. (I hope :razz: )

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithr66View Post
In your original post, you mentioned it was your "blow money". I think it's only a problem if you go beyond what you should be spending.

I remember the first time I went to HL and was looking for stuff to make a scrapbook for a gift - I had no idea what an industry it was. The lady there gushed on and on about all the great stuff you could get for scrapbooks. I said, I guess it can get kind of expensive. She told me she had spent over $3000 on stuff. I asked her how many scrapbooks she had made (I was picturing stacks) and she said she hadn't finished one. That should have been my first clue

I would hate to think about how much my stash is worth, although I suppose it's one of those things you should put on your insurance policy. I'd hate to think about replacing everything I've bought over the years.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2008, 11:44 AM   #59  
Pearl-ExPert

Sickness, addiction, binge-spending--OMG that decribes me to a tee! I know I spend a lot, but don't keep track. When I buy crafting stuff, I get so happy and can't wait to use it! My hubbie complains--but he is a total enabler--he bought me the cricut and 2 carts for Christmas!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2008, 01:26 PM   #60  
Insane Embellisher

but then again, I don't drink and I don't smoke.....so, I don't have to compete with that cost either
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2008, 05:36 PM   #61  
Inking Addict

It is scary what I spend on supplies. I just got all of the new Cuttlebug folders, quite a few Copic markers, stuff to unmount my stamps, new Quickutz dies, etc, etc. Even got new furniture from IKEA to redo the room I craft/sew in! Oh just bought a new Bernina sewing machine for a "good" deal at the quilt show!
I think I need to stop buying and do a little more creating!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2008, 01:36 PM   #62  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by robynstampsView Post
Hmmmmm, including my scrapbooking stuff, I probably spend about $1500-2000 a year. Since I was a career Stampin' Up! demo and bought A LOT of stuff to show my downline & customers, my stash is worth over $20,000 minimum!
WOW!:shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2008, 02:05 PM   #63  
Stampin' Fool

It's all relative....how much do you spend on stamping/scrapping supplies in relation to your income is the important figure. We shouildn't feel guilty if we are spending within our means and get enjoyment and creative expression out of our craft.
It could be worse, girls. Quilting is way more expensive (ask me how I know this)--my last sewing machine cost over 3K (although it had been 12 years since I had purchased a sewing machine). (And it wasn't a top of the line machine, either.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2008, 06:23 PM   #64  
Crimping Master

How much do I spend? I don't really keep track. I can go a couple months without buying anything, then I find time to work on my hobby and find myself "needing" to get things...and of course sometimes I discover something on SCS that I just "must have" and cha-ching! I spend $$.

I enjoy creating and find making cards to be very relaxing. It is always money well spent, to me, and hopefully also to those with whom I share the bounty.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2008, 07:06 PM   #65  
Crimping Master

Great question -- too much, lol! Actually, that's why I became a Stampin' Up! demonstator. I decided that if I was going to be buying so much SU merchandise, then I was going to be the one getting the commission from my purchases! Now I try to get all my stamp sets free by earning them. Of course there are still some non-SU product I just HAVE to have (like the Sco-Pal)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2008, 07:11 PM   #66  
Polyshrink Goddess

Well, I just started SERIOUSLY stamping less than three months ago and I've already spent about 1,000 bucks. And that was being very very careful! There are a LOT of supplies that you need when you start (stamps, pads, paper, paper cutter, markers, need I go on?)

The thing is, when I estimated how much I had spent, I guessed about $300...boy was I wrong! Hahah. BUT, I figure it's an investment and it's just as much as other people my age (I'm almost 22) have spent at bars and clubs on alcohol in the past year (NOT kidding, sadly).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2008, 07:56 PM   #67  
Cardstock Collector

I quite smoking so the $300 a month (I know :O) is now going to paper and stamps. Expensive yes but at least it won't kill me....unless my husband finds out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 06:34 AM   #68  
Watercolor Wizard

hmmm this month has been high. I think I've spent about $400 (but never on credit cards) but I sold one card on Etsy for $5 so I think that about evens it out. Starting next month I'm sticking to a $100 a month budget. Stay tuned to see if I can really do it!

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 06:52 AM   #69  
Stampin' Fool

Default how much do I spend?

Jailbirdstamper, you crack me up! I'd say your math must be "the new kind" and I've got to get me some of it! You're $5 ahead of me - I've never sold even one card.

As for the truth about spending, is there a cheap hobby? I used to have horses and the money flew out the door. My son has just started a 55 gallon salt water tank. Who knew it would cost SO much?! I love my card making and scrapbooking hobby. I probably spend about a hundred a month. Last month, I had a big SU party, so it was a smidge more, but I got a bunch of free sets because of SAB. I'm slowly buying the Nestabilities dies from www.ucutathome.com with the 40% VIP discount. I had been buying PTI, although surprisingly, I haven't bought anything for a month and a half.

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 07:49 AM   #70  
Glitter Guru

I know I spend far more than I should - it's about $300 a month, but it's my money and I work hard for it so I feel I deserve to treat myself each month.

I have to say though that I'm becoming more picky with what I actually buy now. I've got so much stuff that I don't use that I try to only buy the things I REALLY want and think I will use, rather than just buying the latest thing! It took me over a year to get the cuttlebug, about the same for the crop-a-dile, won't bother with crop-a-dile 2, not interested in a cricut (I can't justify the expense - you're looking on about �300/$550-600 over here for one and then �50-70/$100-150 for a cartridge!). However I have started buying the nestabilities that I thought I could do without, but I only buy 1 set of straight edge and the matching size in scalloped edge each month so it'll take me near on a year to get them all!

But SU stuff... now that's a different story! I only discovered SU when I found this site last summer, so have been slowly building up my SU stock since then. I am slowing down on the stamp sets that I buy and only buy them if I can think of a few different ways to use them or if I've been really inspired by cards I've seen on here. I am now trying to buy the cs, inks, ribbons and other embellishments.

As my DBF says anything to keep me happy and it does!

Vannessa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 07:58 AM   #71  
Pearl-ExPert

I was just thinking that my craft stash is probably pushing $20,000+. I have really slowed down on what I buy, but I have been collecting stuff for over 10 yrs now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 08:17 AM   #72  
Speedy the Cat did WHAT?

Well....it's not ridiculous. It's a valid question.

Here's the answer I give people when they act shocked when they see my stamping room, my closet, under my bed, under Markie's Bed, Markie's closet, the hall closet and the stuff in storage:

I don't spend money on drinking.
I don't smoke.
I don't do drugs.
I give 12% to my church.
I donate to 16 charities.
I have an older car.
I haven't been on a vacation (other than a weekend) but once in 21 years.
I have a retirement fund.
I live in a small home.
I have a college fund for Markie.
Markie is WELL fed.
I have insurance for meds for us.
I have a VERY old pop-up camper.

I work as a demo.

So what if my craft stuff is worth more than a brand new Hummer??? I wouldn't want one if you PAID me to drive, it anyway! LOL! And, I know I could have afforded HUGE, expensive vacations...But, why, when the people I want to spend my time with are HERE??? And, yes, I could have spent the money on a bigger home.

So what? It's my hobby. I used to spend $1000's on fabric. Now I spend
$100's on rubber, paper and embellisments. It's what keeps me happy.

The other day, my husband was asked by a friend why I spend so much on craft items.

My husband replied, "Hey, she's happy. A happy wife doesn't complain if I want to spend a Saturday golfing, or camping, or fishing!"

Yep, he's right. We may not have NEW clubs, or the nicest camper, or a boat, but our family is very content with MY HOBBY! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 08:28 AM   #73  
Matboard Maniac

i spend alot but i do cards and scrap every wednesday with girls at work i donot charge anything but i know if i still had small children at home i wouldnot be able to afford the craft but i tell my self that i scrap for them lol so they will have their little taste of their begining . i f this is my only fault then were good and as long as im working its good in fact in may my friends and i are going to have a no spend month
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 08:11 PM   #74  
Pearl-ExPert

You have years to go with this, LOL --

I have been in the hobby for over 10 years -- heavier purchases made in years 2 through 5 I think. Steadied out in the last 3 or so since I have the basics and now just fill in as needed to replenish. THough I don't know why I always think I need to replinish patterned paper, I think I could paper the world with that!!

I started out buying a few things - 25 stamp club got me started, then I joined SU and all bets were off there -- easily $100 a month - when I quit SU I found I was spending about $50 a month at the local LSS - then I went a little less as I got stocked up there and would pass by to pick up more new paper as it came in. Then that store closed and I now just pretty much limit myself to:

Two SU orders a year - if I can do a hostess ($150) I will - usually at SAB time and around Christmas.

I go to Michaels the day after Thanksgiving for whatever I need for me or DD or for gifts.

Sporadic things during the year but nothing big.

Mostly cut down due to budget constraints but also most to the fact that I have a lot of stuff. I think when you start out like you are you will buy and buy and maybe it will take you 10 years or maybe 2, but at some point you kind of stop and then regroup and all. I think anyway! There usually is always something out there to get but I try not to get carried away with all that. Cricut stuff and other diecut machines was a big NO factor for me as I was not going to justify buying it with all the things I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2008, 12:14 AM   #75  
Glitter Guru

awww ha I don't want to think about how much I spend a month but probably somewhere in the ballpark of 300 - 500 some months. One reason I am going to be dropping my Hobby Demo for SU once the new caddy comes out is because there is just so many other company's to pick from. I am lucky my husband doesn't say anything about my spending as long as the bills are paid. As for the value of my stuff somewhere near $10k i am guessing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2008, 03:34 AM   #76  
Polyshrink Goddess

Yay! I'm not crazy! Looks like everyone else is spending about as much as I do each month. I do sell handmade scrapbooking items on ebay, so I don't count paypal purchases. I think last year I only went $400 above Paypal. ...This year isn't looking so good LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2008, 03:40 AM   #77  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by GetCardedView Post
The thing is, when I estimated how much I had spent, I guessed about $300...boy was I wrong! Hahah. BUT, I figure it's an investment and it's just as much as other people my age (I'm almost 22) have spent at bars and clubs on alcohol in the past year (NOT kidding, sadly).

You sound like me when I was stocking up early on. It adds up so fast, and my perception of spending was waaaayyyyy off from reality!

And it really is better than spending on "alternative" entertainment like alcohol and cigarettes that just aren't healthy. I remember WAY back when DH was a butter-bar second Lt. in the USAF. I was always the designated driver for him and his drunk friends. Good times, man. Good times.:rolleyes: (Thank goodness those days are long past!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2008, 05:17 AM   #78  
Compulsive Stamper

Hey all.

You wanna hear a funny story? I live with my parents with my little girl and only have a single car garage made into a room full of space.. of course our beds are there too, so that doesn't leave much room. I discovered stamping after going to a workshop... and have madly been collecting ever since. I scrapbooked b4 but now...
And the funny thing is.. I have yet to use a sinlge stamp that I've bought! Everything is in boxes in storage because there's no room!!!! We are moving out soon and I know cash will be a bit tight.. so MUST collect aLL i CAN now! lol
Sorry for the epic, but I think I win! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2008, 11:19 AM   #79  
down and digi

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassyat30View Post
I've been stamping for about six years and I probably spent $300-400 a year on stamping. *shrug*

But, at the moment, I am in the process of selling all of my stuff and leaving the hobby.

One of the reasons is the "more more MORE" mentality people seem to have about this hobby ~ it's really turned me off from it...because I'm not like that. And it's become much more prevalent, especially with sites like this and others, with the explosion of blogs and craft stores showing up everywhere.

I'm trying to simplify my life from "stuff", not buy more, so it was time for me to get out.

This is exactly where I am at!

I am selling most of the stamp sets/most ink pads/most re-inkers/markers/some punches/some tools,etc. etc, but I am keeping my embellishments for altering 3D stuff. I doubt I will ever buy anything for this craft again - I have enough for life.

I probably have about $6000+ in my craft room and I don't think that's fair to my family when that could be buying family stuff or savings. If I used it, I wouldn't mind as much, but I hoard and that's a waste.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2008, 11:45 AM   #80  
Stazon Splitcoast

Collecting is a hobby too.

I have no idea how much I spend and I really don't want to know.
Reply With Quote Likes