Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-11-2004, 04:53 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tumbled Tile directions

I LOVE the tumbled tiles and would like to try and make soem for a Christmas present, but am having difficulty in figuring out the BEST way to do these. I have heard to use craft pads, Staz On, Sharpie markers...HELP. I would like to know the best instructions for these AWESOME gifts.
Thanks,
Lisa Douglas
Grand Ledge, MI
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2004, 06:39 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I find it best to stamp image with stazon. Then color using sharpies and or blender pens with chalks. I like using the chalks for shadowing so that the image has some texture to it. Then just spray with an all purpose acrylic sealer. Matte finish. If you do use craft pads just pop them in a low temp oven for about 20 minutes. Hope this helps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2004, 07:06 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Default What are sharpies?

I hear people talking about them all the time!!! Does stampin up carry them and if they do on what page?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2004, 09:27 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Default Re: What are sharpies?

Quote:

Originally Posted by melonyloves2stamp
I hear people talking about them all the time!!! Does stampin up carry them and if they do on what page?
The tiles can be found at Home Depot or Lowes.

The come in boxes of nine - and don't be shy - look through the boxes and pick NICE tiles - some have pits in the middle or are cracked/broken etc

I don't think SU would ever carry them - shipping would be insane based on the weight!

My 4yo helps me and does a nice job!!!

Smiles

Kate
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2004, 11:35 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Default Tile instructions

I'm making some for Christmas, and here's what I'm doing.

1) Wash the tile, or at least wipe it with rubbing alcohol to get the dust off. (Not mandatory, but they're kinda gritty at first if you don't.)

2) Stamp image with Staz-on, and heat set using a heat tool less than an inch away for about 30 seconds-1 minute an area. I just made one with the 4 trees from A Tree for All Seasons, and I did 30 seconds a tree, moving slightly to make sure the whole tree got covered. You might want to put the tile on a hot pad or something before you begin the heating process, because the goal is a hot tile. You want it to be a little warmer than comfortable to the touch.

3) After it cools, color with sharpies. I like the ultra-fine point and the stipple method someone mentioned on another post because Staz-on and Sharpies are both alcohol based and can bleed on each-other. Also, because the tiles are absorbant, the sharpie will spread as you apply, so do a little at a time, especially if you're doing detailed stamps.

4) Heat set again, making sure to cover all newly-covered areas and making sure the whole tile is hot before you quit.

I did this the day before yesterday and "tested" it yesterday. Left a sweaty glass on it all day and no change. I stuck it under running water and applied dish soap directly and scrubbed with my fingers and a brush, and there was virtually no change. (My husband and I can't agree if the sharpie lightened, but if it did, only by a shade.)

I haven't tried the smooth tiles (picked some up at HD today), but I'm guessing you'd have to seal them if you want them to be water-proof, but otherwise this should work for magnets, too.

Hope that helps!

Kate
Reply With Quote Likes