Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-25-2009, 10:33 AM   #1  
Swapper of the Month March 2012

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U.S. POSTAL SERVICE VENT

Hi Everyone --

I have a vent against the U.S. Postal Service!
It takes a lot to get me upset, but today I was furious.

I went to the post office to mail some packages. I have mailed hundreds of packages from there, literally (as you know, I host multiple swaps not to mention those I participate in)!

First, they said they would not accept one package that had the stamps partially covered with clear packaging tape. They said that voids the stamps because they cannot fully post them and that no postage can be covered at all with tape.

Next, I had a large envelope to mail to Canada. To go Priority was going to cost $21 so I asked about First Class, which was $6.60. So I decided to go with First Class, and she said it should only take 5 days. I asked then about insurance, and she said because its under 4 lbs, I cannot insure it, so only can do that on Priority. Well, then I asked for delivery confirmation, which she said I cannot do because it goes to Canada. So I couldn't insure or confirm unless I sent Priority.

Well, then I asked why packages that I have paid Priority postage for have been taking up to 3 weeks to get to people, and I asked what I can do to file a claim against that. Well, now here is where I just went livid!

The response of not only the clerk but the Postmaster is that:
There are NO GUARANTEES of delivery time. If you pay for priority, there is no guarantee that it will get there any sooner than parcel post even, as it just goes via whatever route they have to transport it there.
So I asked basically then if I send something priority or first class or parcel, it may go the same way? And they said yes, they have no guarantees, and thus I cannot file a claim or complaint. I replied that it is then false advertising to put up there that it takes 2-3 days on Priority and to tell people that, and she said that it is only the "standard/average", no guarantees!

SO, that means, regardless of whether you are sending parcel post (cheapest) or first class or priority, it will just get there when it gets there.

I was just livid when I left there. It takes a lot to get me upset but they crossed the threshold!

My next goal is to see how much I can send via UPS instead then!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 10:51 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I have received a TON of packages from the US, and IMHO First Class gets here faster, and in better condition. Most of the Priority boxes are dinged and banged up pretty good when I get them, but a First Class package usually arrives without a problem. I have received 3 Priority boxes this year with those "wonderful" little sorry notes and a ton of tape attached to them, and not a single First Class box has ever had a note. For $20+ I would expect them to arrive in much better and much quicker. I think even FedEx is cheaper than Priority.

It's one of the things that really annoys me, especially since I want another order from PTI and they only ship Priority. I can order something which is on the other side of the country and get it a week before PTI will arrive and they (PTI) are only 2 states away. In fact I am usually only 45min outside Toledo every week!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 10:57 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

That's why I send my packages by FedEx.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 11:04 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

They've told me the same thing, that they can't guarantee delivery times. I am paying for the things to get there quicker, shouldn't they?!?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 11:11 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

I hate dealing with the postal service. I personally think the rates are outrageous. They are shooting themselves in the foot all the time by raising rates as well. No wonder more and more people are emialing, paying bills online.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 11:14 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,074 Likes on 824 Posts

I'm sorry to hear of your stresses.
I can tell you that when I worked (here in Ireland) in distribution, if a customer wanted to pay for *guaranteed* next day delivery rather than the regular Post Office courier service which was usually the next day anyway - you could almost guarantee that the order would go missing and not turn up till later than it would have if they'd used the regular service. So these days I always just go for regular post. Hope you calm down soon .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 11:15 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know exactly what you mean!!! More than one month ago I purchased some DSP from someone here on SCS from one of the southwestern states. I never received the package. It also took more than 3-4 weeks for some DSP I sent to someone else in CA. I live in IL, but it should never take that long for a package to arrive.

No wonder the USPS is going under. Terrible service. I've learned to only go with priority for future trades/purchases done on SCS or only through posters who sending from the same midwestern zone as I. Something from either coast via parcel post? It'll never get here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 11:16 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That is exactly why I do not use the post office unless I just do not care if it gets there or not! A buddy of ours has informed us through the grapevine that they may just be Ch. 11 soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 11:24 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by 53queenbeeView Post
That is exactly why I do not use the post office unless I just do not care if it gets there or not! A buddy of ours has informed us through the grapevine that they may just be Ch. 11 soon.
First class postage goes up again May 11 and they are talking about discontinuing service/deliveries on Tuesdays as a cost saving measure.

I don't even send out mail from my home anymore because my carrier is so irregular about delivering mail to me. I can have something out there in the box for a couple of days or more before he'll pick it up (and he drives a vehicle and sticks his arm out to get it from my box at the street).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 11:27 AM   #10  

Its a shame that Fedex or UPS doesn't do smaller pkgs or that someone else hasn't figured out a better system to compete. I still think its false advertising to put on those wall charts that it is 2-3 days or to tell customers that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 11:32 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We have had checks from customers take up to 3 months recently. And, that puts their church furniture order on hold. My husband has resorted to picking up the money so it can get processed on time. He still uses snail mail for his bills; I pay on line.

Our buddy told us that USPS use to make their profit on first class and now the profit is on junk mail. Now junk mail has the priority.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 11:32 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by punchaddictView Post
First class postage goes up again May 11 and they are talking about discontinuing service/deliveries on Tuesdays as a cost saving measure.

I don't even send out mail from my home anymore because my carrier is so irregular about delivering mail to me. I can have something out there in the box for a couple of days or more before he'll pick it up (and he drives a vehicle and sticks his arm out to get it from my box at the street).
I have the same problem! I bring my mail to work to mail it out because the mailman that comes to my house will just leave my mail sitting in the box half the time. Even if he has to stop anyway to deliver mail, there have been times he just dumpes it in on top of what I'm trying to send out!

Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 12:05 PM   #13  

I think I am mostly angered by the fact that I feel like I've been cheated all along, deceived. They kept saying Priority was 2-3 days, and First Class was 5 days, and here I paid 3x the price if not more for Priority for various ones only to find out that it goes exactly the same way, and I have yet to see them get it there in the 2-3 days!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 12:12 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I usually send out packages UPS from my office. I mail all my bills from my office. My bills are mostly local area though - i.e. utilities.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 12:18 PM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Not that I am defending the post office at all, but the policy regarding clear tape over stamps has been there for ages. The reason being is you could re use the box or envelope the stamps are on because the cancelling stamp or postmark coupld be wiped off the tape. I'm always very careful to not tape over the stamps.

Melissa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 12:23 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

9 times out of 10, if I get mail with a stamp on it - there is NO mark on it - even here at the office
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 12:44 PM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Location: The weeds are popping up, and I'm having asthma issues

I had them tell me the same thing once. I never understood why I should pay extra to make sure that they did their job (delivery confirmation) either.
Leah SCS Member #38898
His Holy Name Challenge http://triplethescraps.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 03:04 PM   #18  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

i get pretty aggravated some days with USPS - but, i have to tell you, i ship alot of stuff [i sell my husband's stuff on ebay] and USPS is WAY cheaper than UPS... last year, UPS was adding surcharges, which were included AFTER you requested quotes. so, i was burned on postage several times because UPS charged me more than what the estimate said they would.

and, for the most part, i'm always pleased with how quick USPS ships.

just my two cents worth
Old 02-25-2009, 03:16 PM   #19  

I have had several bad experiences with the postal service in the last two years, increasingly so, particularly in just not being able to count on things being delivered, or delivered on time.
I mail an average of 20 pkgs a week, sometimes more, since I host multiple swaps. Once upon a time the postal service was something to be counted on... remember they once had a reputation of rain or shine, always on time? Now, we never know who will be delivering the mail here (contract workers), they leave mail rubber banded to our mailbox flag even on rainy days, they've left pkgs on the ground in a ditch and they blow away or we find them down on the property somewhere, they bend large envelopes whichever way to cram into our mailbox, and we get mail that isn't even ours all the time (averaging a couple of times a week now, including insured pkgs that aren't even being signed for!)! Its a shame. I have gone to paying my bills by phone or online because I couldn't count on the payments getting to them on time unless I sent Fedex.

But since they have the monopoly on it, I continued to use them.

I'm okay with dealing with the tape issue, but not if the stamp is still partially uncovered in that they can still cancel the stamp!

I'm okay with postal service not guaranteeing -- but NOT if they are saying Priority is 2-3 days and First Class is 5, charging me more for the one service and then I find out there really isn't a difference or any guarantee of that delivery at all. Unfortunately we don't have a whole lot of choices and they know it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 03:22 PM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

I found this out the hard way also, after the fact; and they never did explain why it couldn't have clear tape over postage, nice to find out from SCS, of course.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melissa HannantView Post
Not that I am defending the post office at all, but the policy regarding clear tape over stamps has been there for ages. The reason being is you could re use the box or envelope the stamps are on because the cancelling stamp or postmark coupld be wiped off the tape. I'm always very careful to not tape over the stamps.

Melissa

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 03:25 PM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

Susan, I do sympathize with you. I am in one of your swaps, and you are
going to be going to the post office a lot. They really do take any fun out of card making and sending packages or thick envelopes to anyone to make
their day. It's not a wonder that people start paying bills online etc
so they don't have to deal with postage costs, and abrupt service

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 03:39 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

My local USPS office has 3 wonderful gals working there. One afternoon, we had a very long conversation about this. I ordered an item from eBay and I kept bothering the seller about why it was taking so long when I paid for Priority Mail. When the package finally arrived, it was 8 days since it was postmarked. They were at least honest and told me that if it's not urgent then send my packages via USPS first class mail with delivery confirmation. It would probably get there just a day or two later. It can usually take up to 9 days for Priority delivery depending on the location. I never sent a package to Canada, so I didn't ask about it. But I usually just ship first class mail and pay the 75 cents for delivery confirmation. I've had my fair share of complaints about USPS and have learned to just accept it. I've wasted too much time being upset over it, it's just not worth it. For anything important that needs to be delivered within a certain amount of days, I would get a Fedex account and just ship it through them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 04:02 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

I am in Canada and I get a lot of packages from the US. I find that I get first class mail from the US just as quickly as I get priority mail ... and you have every right to be furious over that ... what a crock!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 04:08 PM   #24  

All --
Please understand. I am not saying the people at the post office were mean or offensive. They just stated their policy matter-of-factly. What I am upset about is that this is their policy but what I have been told by clerks (at multiple locations over the past years) and what the sign implies by saying Priority is faster is not the case necessarily and that there are no guarantees of that, despite paying a significantly higher amount!

My vent above is not about the postal workers -- it is more about my frustration about learning this is the truth of their policies. Priority may or may not get there faster, no guarantee.

I offended a couple of people who work for the postal service or who's family or friends work for the service in my venting, and for that I am sorry that they took offense. Again, I am complaining about that policy when I feel they imply otherwise.

By nature I am a positive person and it truly takes alot to upset me, so I'll edit and delete my post so as to not offend anyone else. Here is my note I have concluded with in other locations:

"Thank you to all who were concerned about my getting upset and having a bad P.O. experience, and for patiently and kindly putting up with my venting. My main concern is to let others know that there is no guarantee and no real difference in how they are shipped, so no real value to paying more for priority as far as I can see.

I'm calmed down, no worries, and no, to those who have PMd me or asked, I'm not going to stop hosting or participating in swapping either. Thanks for caring and for the compliments, and I'm back to normal, just all the wiser to the way to PO system works."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 06:04 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

I have a sister that lives in Japan. Her letters arrive faster than mail sent within the state!

I just send packages whatever is the cheapest price. I use the machine because the personnel are so unhelpful and disinterested-- If the package is heavy, I'll send it via UPS/FedEx.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 04:44 AM   #26  

Well, sadly, in these discussion threads you cannot edit or remove posts, so I can't delete this now, and I appreciate all of your input/comments. Thanks for 'hearing' my vent and sharing your experiences too. I am all the wiser as to how the postal service works/charges now, and feel I must have been rather naive up til this point to have believed what the clerks said rather than to have read the fine print I guess. Live and learn.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 05:00 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Your vent and frustration is understandable. sometimes we just need to do that. Have a Blessed Day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 05:03 AM   #28  

Default UPDATE

UPDATED INFO

I do want to be sure I share this as well.

Two SCS'ers whose DH's work for the USPS did clarify with them and to me that parcel post does go slower/ground. So I was misinformed by the clerk and postmaster here on that.

Priority and First class do go the same method and if possible priority is handled/processed first, hence it is 'given priority' but there are no guarantees that it will get there sooner that first class as they are shipped the same way.

None of those services guarantee how fast they will get there either, the poster indicates only an average/standard -- not a guarantee. Only Express/Overnight is supposed to be guaranteed though I've heard from others that their experiences were not that as well sadly, and you have to be aware of what they consider 'overnight/next day' based upon delivery/pickup times at various locations as it may actually result in two days then.

I just wanted to share what has been clarified so far.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 05:19 AM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

My understanding is that postal carriers are not required to take mail from your mailbox at home for delivery. They are to deliver the mail. If they have a large load or whatever other reason, they may not pick up the letters. To insure that they are picked up timely, drop it in a box.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 05:52 AM   #30  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by 53queenbeeView Post
that'll never happen! the government will include the post office in the next bail out plan. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 06:22 AM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

My mail carrier told me that except at Christmas time it doesn't matter if a box is first class or priority they are processed the same. A box is a box.
I tried mailing two boxes to the same address, I sent one first class and one priority. One was cookies and the other just gifts . They arrived together.
Therefore I no longer pay for priority.
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 06:29 AM   #32  
Hardware Hotshot

I took a package to both the post office and the UPS store the other day, and it was cheaper to send UPS. AND you get the tracking number to track the package.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 06:45 AM   #33  
Gallery Gazer

Several years ago, BS (Before Stamping) I got annoyed with the USPS for whatever reason and I boycotted it. As in, went to online bill paying, dropped local bills off at the site...to the point that my insurance guy was almost keeping track..."what is this 5 months in a row? How's the boycott of USPS going"

That changed with stamping! But in my continuing efforts to give them as little money as possible I hand deliver as many cards as I can, and try not to make the ones I do mail to thick. Nothing irks me more than a bump costing extra postage. Also, with photo cards at Christmas, I email them or post on facebook. Most everyone I know is on email or facebook, so it eliminates the cost of printing, mailing, excess 'stuff' laying around and they still get an update on the family.

I guess I just dislike that I get magazines that are ripped, other peoples mail, etc. plus, the line at our post office is always crazy long because they took out the automatic machine that took debit cards due to lack of use AND they close at like 5pm...even the outside lobby where the always unstocked vending machine is closes by 6.

I don't know, I've long said the USPS will cease to exist in it's present form in coming years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 08:49 AM   #34  
Gabfest Goddess

I too have had a multitude of issues with the PO for years. I once mailed a large envelope to someone who lived only 8 miles away. It took over 3 weeks to get there. When I asked the people at the post office why, they said it's becuase we live in a rural area. This is why some packages cannot be guaranteed a delivery time. Apparently, all the mail collected in a day gets put in the same bin and shipped to the nearest sorting facility. They have bins they sort to for different areas. If your stuff is going to a big city, that bin will fill up quickly and be sure to be sent out faster. But if you are shipping to a rural area, that bin will take a lot longer to fill and they won't ship until it's full.

Most of the people at the local post offices here are not very nice. Especially when you question the policies. And I have found that I can go to different local post offices and get different rates on the same package. This is because each one determines for themselves if my package is too thick or not flexible, etc.

Before they instituted these new pricing policies last year, I could pretty much figure out how much something would be to mail. But now, just about everything I send requires a trip to the PO so they can decided. This makes for long lines and short tempers.

My biggest complaint now is the delivery service. I think the person who delivers our mail doesn't bother to actually read the address on the envelopes. She just starts down the road and puts the next set of mail in the next open box. So our mail is always getting mixed with our neighbors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 09:10 AM   #35  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin in OkcView Post
I took a package to both the post office and the UPS store the other day, and it was cheaper to send UPS. AND you get the tracking number to track the package.
It's cheaper because the UPS store wants to promote UPS shipping...and they bump the rates of USPS. A lot. If you were to compare prices of UPS to USPS based on taking the package to the Post Office, USPS is almost always cheaper. The tracking number is a whole nuther issue though...

My hubby is a clerk at the post office, however he's gruntled (as opposed to disgruntled :p ) and loves his job, loves his customers, etc. etc.

If i was having some of the issues talked about here, I'd be calling the local postmaster for sure! I'd be getting names of whom I spoke with, and if I didn't get answers or service, I'd keep calling up the food chain until I did, but, that's kind of how I roll.....:cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 09:29 AM   #36  

Sadly, it was the Postmaster I spoke with originally who gave me incorrect info according to others!

I had some great postal service workers in Colorado Springs, never had these issues there. But I'm checking what UPS has to offer me for certain!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 10:25 AM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

It's actually NOT so easy to just call your local post office. The phone numbers listed in our phone books are not local numbers; those are not listed! You get some automated system located who knows where.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 10:55 AM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

I haven't read all the replies, but I certainly understand why you're upset. That's why I always send things the cheapest way. I recently bought some dies from a fellow SCSer, and she sent them Parcel Post since Priority was off the charts expensive. Guess what? It got here in two days. I will never pay extra for Priority again, unless I really need the box!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 10:59 AM   #39  
Stampin' Fool

Default post office blues

Our local post office phone # is not listed. I asked at the PO about that and they just shrugged. I think it's because they don't want to have to pay someone to answer the phone. It gets to me because I'd like to know what business could survive with an unlisted #?! I called another PO that was in a small town near us to get the local #, but they hung up on me! You have to call the 800 # and sit through a seemingly endless voicemail menu to get the # that you want. Customer service, fuggettaboutit!!

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 11:34 AM   #40  
Matboard Maniac

Default Priority not necessary

I received a fairly large box today from NC with $6.66 in postage so it was regular mail. It took 1 week and we are in Canada. Toronto to be specific. It came in great shape and of course it had to go through customs.

I have received other packages with postage of about $3 or $4 or even less in postage and they have gotten to me as soon as 4 days and I mean from the US.

Priority does not get here any sooner and is no safer or neater.

Your postage (except for the outrageously priced priority) is a LOT cheaper than ours, even for Canada and we pay an extra 5% GST (goods and services tax) on it as well. In other words, a tax on tax.

Of course we get door to door delivery of mail as we are in an urban area. A city now.

It has been more than 35 years ago that we had Saturday delivery. We only have it Monday to Friday unless there is a statutory holiday and they get others as well, including the 11th of November. This is more than the average worker or even the schools.
Reply With Quote Likes