Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-25-2007, 03:45 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UGHHHH

I LOATHE, despise, hate, cannot stand making more than one of something! LOL My sister asked me to make 50 invites for our mom and aunts (twins) 50th surprise party. Seriously, after the 3rd one I wanted to rip my hair out. I am not the type of person who can sit there and make more than 3 of anything. I think that is why I enjoy scrapping so much. Every page is something new.

So when you do multiples of a card do you stamp an entire card start to finish and then move to next one or do you do it in steps for all the cards ...stamp same stamp on all cards-tie ribbon on all cards etc?

I started making each one completly and then moved on to doing it in steps for every card.

Thank goodness I am done. I already told my sister NEVER AGAIN. LOL She did offer to help but trust me it would have taken double the amount time, if you know what I mean!! haha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2007, 03:51 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

50 sounds like a big task, but I do make more than one. I don't have a fantastic craft room like most, so when I get everything out, I try and make a few (usually not more than 6) of each. I make the first one, then I make the rest all together, one step at a time. Then when I am at the last step, all 6 cards are done and ready. I have a great sister that takes them to the bank where she works and there are a few girls that buy, buy and buy. They keep me in business. They will even send a particular card back with sticky notes for colors, different greetings etc.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2007, 03:52 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

once it is designed...

yes- definately assembly line!

i bet they were really loved and appreciated more than store bought ones tho!

i made shower invites and wedding invites for my mom! she really loved them.

i usually make most all cards 2 at a time.

happy stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2007, 03:58 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I make my sample and then cut all of my pieces, fold all of my cards, and do any coloring, chaulking, etc. then I complete one card at a time. I find that by doing all of the preliminary work I can work as long as I want and then put all of the materials into a box or wire rack and keep them all together.

When I make a card I like I usually make about 5 of them with envelopes to match. I have my cards separated for birthdays, anniversary, thinking of you, masculine, etc. so that when I need a card I pull one stamp the appropriate verse for the person inside and I'm ready to go.

I'm one of the people who made 90 cards for Christmas one year all of the same. The next year I decided to make several patterns.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2007, 04:04 PM   #5  
Watercolor Wizard

I would do it assembly line fashion, although I have bever attempted that many identical cards... Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2007, 04:04 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

LOL! I am so with you, Jackie! Once I'm done designing the card, it has usually taken me so long that I never want to see the card again, let alone make duplicates of it! I agree with the above posters regarding the assembly line technique. I also like Paula Bloom's and Michelle Fischer's card variations. I love Michelle's idea of designing a card the opposite of the first. It's a great challenge for me.

Wild Rose Stamper blog
SCS gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2007, 05:38 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The most of the same I've done was my wedding invitations, I made 75! They were not simple and it took while!!
Anytime I'm doing alot I always do an assembly line, cut everything at once, fold at once, stamp color, etc then out them all together. It goes must faster than doing one complete card at a time

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2007, 07:38 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I did 40 Christmas cards, and now I hate the sets I used! Can't look at them again, I had to trade them. Not this year! I'm going to whittle my list and do several designs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2007, 07:50 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

I am the "favor queen" and am always making cards or favors in high quantity (50, 75, 100) and I always do them in pieces. I cut all the paper, do the coloring, stamp all of the envelopes, etc...one piece at a time until all of the pieces are done and the finally the cards/item finished.

I find that it goes quicker and that I can concentrate on one "piece" at a time which is less overwhelming
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2007, 07:55 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Made 50 ****-a-doodle-do Invites

These Birthday Invites for my in-laws' 80th birthdays I did assembly line fashion.
*stamped 50 diamond design
*stamped 50 roosters
* stamped 50 "You're Invited"
*stamped 50 "Weathered" card fronts
*cut out the words and the rooster pieces
*cut 50 blue tags
*assembled 50 tags
*assembled the cards

One - at - a - time - would - have - been - way - too - slow - !
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2007, 08:29 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

i did about 25 christmas cards, and while they weren't even that hard to make, i felt the same way! i would much rather make something new and different every time. but i did all the work and then assembled it. made the whole process seem a lot easier than if i had done it the same way. i really need to take up scrapbooking... i think i'd like it too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2007, 08:32 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

I made 70 birth announcements before the baby was born...let's just say I was SOOOOOOOO tired of those colors, stamp set, ribbon, etc, that I will probably never use them again!! LOL For one thing, I made them wayyyyy too complicated! The ones I made for the other kids were much simpler. They turned out very cute, but I don't know what I was thinking!! :confused:

I did do them in stages, though...cut all the paper at once, stamped the different pieces, put them together, added brads (THAT was a nighmare!! my poor little...errr...swollen pregnant fingers were killing me!! LOL) then added the ribbon.

My Blog - New!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2007, 03:33 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

The first year I made Christmas cards, I made them all different. I guess I did 40.

By the time I was half way done, my creativity was burned out. It takes a lot of thought to design so many different cards.

From then on, I make one design for ALL my cards. I do it assembly line style.
I prefer it over the "solo creations". Birthday and all occasion cards are different. I make them with the recipient in mind.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2007, 04:01 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I helped a friend make 100 invites for a Golden Weding Anniversary party. Definitely assembly line fashion is the way to go! And put lively, cheerful 'sing-a-long' music on while you're at it!

I can sympathise with you about making duplicates - I hate it too! I always have good intentions of making a few cards the same (especially for Xmas cards) but I always end up going on to something new.

I know I absolutely, positively, utterly regretted being the one that volunteered to print, trim and stick in the inserts for the Golden Wedding invites! That is a most definite NEVER AGAIN!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2007, 05:50 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

I like making multiples! I usually make maybe 20 of a certain card to keep on hand for when I need to send a card out. I don't make each one from start to finish but use the assembly line style. I don't always make a bunch of cards, but if the design is simple enough I do.

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2007, 06:05 AM   #16  
Mad Swapper

lol I also never make the same card twice. I know I should since I am cutting the cs in half but for some reason I just cant!!

Glad to know I am not the only one who hates duplicates!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2007, 07:38 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

I can't do the same card twice. I made 25 baby cards and not one was the same the only promble was that the mother couldn't decide which one to keep for the baby book. If I had to do all the same I think I'd do the assembly line. And never no more than 50 cards.

Jannette
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2007, 10:28 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

I once did 100 invitations for a church function. I don't think I have used that set of stamps since. LOL. I even used eyelets and had a whoppin headache (this was prior to the invention of the Cropodile). Anyway, the trick is to keep it simple, design one, then set up an assembly line.

Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2007, 11:23 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

I made 150 wedding invitations and 150 response cards for a niece, and boy did I *dislike* the monotony of it! Unfortunately now everybody expects it for their wedding!LOL

Look at it this way, what ever stamps you used have certainly paid for themselves and now you are entitled to buy another stamp set!
One of Kota's Kids
Too Blessed to be Stressed
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2007, 11:28 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by queenoe
I made 150 wedding invitations and 150 response cards for a niece, and boy did I *dislike* the monotony of it! Unfortunately now everybody expects it for their wedding!LOL

Look at it this way, what ever stamps you used have certainly paid for themselves and now you are entitled to buy another stamp set!
Wow! I am impressed -- that's a lot of invitations!! We did our own invites, etc., but I did them the easy way. I bought them at Michael's and printed everything with the laser printer. I did make my own shower invitations. But again, I did this the easy way.. I stamp and colored the image and then I scanned it into the computer. Then everything was printed off on my color printer. The image was a tall flower that curved in so I had that image on the left side and then flipped the image for the right side.

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2007, 11:32 AM   #21  
Crimping Master

Thank goodness we had a very small wedding, so I only had to do about 25 invitations for that. The only way you can really get through that is to be so in love that you are blinded to the monotony of the task! ... oh yeah, and doing it in front of the tv!

Other than that ... I never make the exact same card. It may be quite similar, but something always has to be changed up. I like the creations I give to people to be unique!

"Creativity is a continual surprise" (Ray Bradbury)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2007, 05:22 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When I need to make multiplies, I do as so many others have suggested. I do everything in steps. That way it is not over-whelming. I do all the assembling last....perhaps breaking it up into 5 or so cards at a time. This way I can work whenever I have any spare time, and it is productive. I have found if I only color 5 or so pieces at a time, it does not drive me crazy. I just allot small chunks of time for each element and mix in other projects to keep me sane. Once the first card is designed, I actually find it therapeudic to just color and assemble without having to think. Mindless pleasure. Hee hee. All this said, it only works if you do not need to mass produce in a short time span.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2007, 05:54 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinchicago
All this said, it only works if you do not need to mass produce in a short time span.
This is why I start my Christmas cards in July. I "tell" myself that my rule is that I have to have my cards done before I go to any stamp conventions (like Rubberama that used to be in St. Paul in Oct.). In reality, this is basically so I am not rushed when making my cards. Granted, I don't make hundreds of cards -- maybe 30-40. But when I get overwhelmed or stressed, my reaction is to do nothing. So giving myself plenty of time and using the assembly line theory helps me plenty. I have a TV in my stamping room so it helps if there is a good movie on.. I can do the mindless tasks while watching a movie. (And when I need to concentrate, I guess I listen to the movie.) LOL :rolleyes:

I think I would go nuts if I tried to create each card individually. Actually, it would take me weeks to get that many cards done and I'd be bored out of my mind.

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2007, 08:22 AM   #24  
Glitter Guru

What a coincidence! I am making invitations for my moms 50th surprise birthday party! Yes....the monotony sucks. But....I cut all the paper and did kinda an assembly line....it worked perfct!
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2007, 05:49 PM   #25  
Linking Queen

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I also strongly dislike making duplicate cards, which is why I rarely join swaps. I do look for 1-for-1 swaps and join when the theme interests me.

Anyway, when I need lots of cards (like at Christmas), I do OSWs (one sheet wonders) with a twist. My twist is that I use larger pieces. You can see some cards made from OSWs in my gallery and this link shows a selection of my 2006 holiday cards that followed a similar approach:
Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

If the cards need to be identical, I would probably do an OSW, cut it into 10 ATC-sized (2.5 x 3.5) pieces and build the card from there. I would probably mat it on two layers so the colors of the layers could be switched (like someone referenced) or even changed completely depending on how "identical" they really need to be.

Thanks for posting this thread - it's nice to know I'm not the only stamper that feels this way.

Happy Crafting!
Reply With Quote Likes